Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NONSENSE.

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NONSENSE. Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NO... - 5/8/2011 1:03:08 AM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth
Emmmm,not me old boy!
Never said that about you or anyone else for that matter!

I should clarify. I responded to your "Jeepers,who's in bad form?" comment. As I thought you may have been referring to the tone of my post. As if I was in a bad mood. I wasn't having a go at you, just explaining why I critcised Dead (upstairs) Mike.

CORLEONE, I hold your pyjama parties with great affection. Although please don't describe your party guests as little shits, it's unbecoming.

You got imbeciles and immature from that??
Havent been to a pyjama party in years

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 151
B:LA you - 5/8/2011 1:46:09 AM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

The script was crap, wasn't it? Cringe inducing in places.

I thought the script was fine, it did enough to service what was on screen, nothing more. If I were to level any sort of complaint against it, I'd say it was mostly unexceptional. Creatively, I thought the film had some very clever ideas about presenting an alien invasion story without rehashing old tropes. Although if you've gone from making pasta/bolognese sauces to writing film scripts. One would think it would be a bit of a jump.

If you really want a truly awful script, look no further than Jean-Claude Van Damme's "Desert Heat". Now that film has a plot and dialogue (plus acting) that veers so much in the farcical lane the director should've been charged with D.U.I (Director's Utterly Incompetent).

Going back to "B:LA" or "B:LEH" for some people. I thought the Lieutenant's speech just before their deployment was nicely terse and captured the spirit of the Marine Corps, without being overly jingoistic nor patriotic.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Funnily enough, there was a videogame for Battle LA released...and it pretty much is the movie.

I personally don't mind - Universial Solider 3 had the same idea.

The game's nothing special. The comic-like stills were a little silly. They should've just used footage from the film.

quote:

No no, my dear boy. When you said "Jeepers,who's in bad form?". I didn't know what you meant by it. So I assumed you were speaking about the tone of one of my posts; the one where I criticised Dead Mike's comment regarding those that liked the film as being "children and morons". I meant nothing against you mate. I hope it's all cleared up now?

quote:

The tin-foil isn't some ad-hoc protection against alien mind control. It's just to keep warm; honest...

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 5/8/2011 1:48:40 AM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 152
RE: B:LA you - 5/8/2011 9:01:26 AM   
Dead Mike

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE

The script was crap, wasn't it? Cringe inducing in places.

I thought the script was fine, it did enough to service what was on screen, nothing more. If I were to level any sort of complaint against it, I'd say it was mostly unexceptional. Creatively, I thought the film had some very clever ideas about presenting an alien invasion story without rehashing old tropes. Although if you've gone from making pasta/bolognese sauces to writing film scripts. One would think it would be a bit of a jump.

If you really want a truly awful script, look no further than Jean-Claude Van Damme's "Desert Heat". Now that film has a plot and dialogue (plus acting) that veers so much in the farcical lane the director should've been charged with D.U.I (Director's Utterly Incompetent).

Going back to "B:LA" or "B:LEH" for some people. I thought the Lieutenant's speech just before their deployment was nicely terse and captured the spirit of the Marine Corps, without being overly jingoistic nor patriotic.

quote:

Funnily enough, there was a videogame for Battle LA released...and it pretty much is the movie.

I personally don't mind - Universial Solider 3 had the same idea.

The game's nothing special. The comic-like stills were a little silly. They should've just used footage from the film.

quote:

No no, my dear boy. When you said "Jeepers,who's in bad form?". I didn't know what you meant by it. So I assumed you were speaking about the tone of one of my posts; the one where I criticised Dead Mike's comment regarding those that liked the film as being "children and morons". I meant nothing against you mate. I hope it's all cleared up now?

quote:

The tin-foil isn't some ad-hoc protection against alien mind control. It's just to keep warm; honest...

My original point stands.

Post #: 153
RE: B:LA you - 5/8/2011 9:38:33 AM   
thetruth

Nay problem!
I assume the tinfoil goes on your head??

Without love we are dead

Post #: 154
RE: B:LA you - 6/8/2011 2:21:22 AM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dead Mike
My original point stands.

No it doesn't, as you made a crass generalisation.

quote:

Nay problem!
I assume the tinfoil goes on your head??

It's actually a tin-foil blanket. You can wrap it around your head if you want. Although you'll have to take care of your feet too...for thermal retention!

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Dead Mike)
Post #: 155
RE: B:LA you - 6/8/2011 8:32:17 AM   
thetruth

I was thinking a la Signs,lol!

Without love we are dead

Post #: 156
RE: B:LA you - 6/8/2011 6:47:38 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

I was thinking a la Signs,lol!

I know, I enjoy a good wordplay.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 157
Battle Los Angeles: Review - 8/8/2011 2:05:59 AM   
Edward9630

Battle: Los Angeles is a very good film. The movie reminds me a bit of a video game (e.g. Call of Duty) the way some scenes are played out. The story is very enjoyable to learn and the action scenes in the film are enjoyable to watch. My only problem with this film is the film could have gone into more detail about the invasion then just always just on the army. One thing is for sure, Battle: Los Angeles is way better then Skyline. I would recommend to go see this film.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 158
RE: Battle Los Angeles: Review - 10/8/2011 10:21:52 AM   
thetruth

Video game
Hate that phrase!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Edward9630)
Post #: 159
RE: Battle Los Angeles: Review - 17/8/2011 11:55:04 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

Video game
Hate that phrase!

Same here, an annoying Americanism. Should be termed computer game. It's amusing, people are making the computer game comparison and then readily use the "Call of Duty" (more like carpal tunnel syndrome)  series as an example. Even though that series, particularly the 'Modern Warfare' series is heavily influenced by such films as "Black Hawk Down". So really, it's retrospective ripping-off. I think the "B:LA" takes a lot from "BHD" and not from any game. Afterall, that film set a very good standard for modern combat films.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 17/8/2011 11:57:27 PM >

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 160
RE: Battle Los Angeles: Review - 18/8/2011 12:17:57 AM   
Rgirvan44

Just for your interest

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Battle-Los-Angeles-Cast-Interviews-Eckhart-And-Rodriguez-On-Set-22871.html

Jonathan Liebesman:
I did find myself getting a lot of inspiration just watching gameplay and Call of Duty. It's not first-person shooter anymore as much. What you see is the camera in different perspectives. There's a ton of production value in these games. There's some great directors that have done some good recent game commercials, whether it's my boy Neill Blomkamp, or Rupert Saunders, who did Halo OBS what have you. Joseph Kosinski I find those have been my inspiration as opposed to movies. Beneath that, embedded Iraqi war footage obviously, which has inspired those things.

Will Rothar (Lee Imley): Actually two of our sergeants worked on both Call of Duty and Modern Warfare 2.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 161
RE: Battle Los Angeles: Review - 18/8/2011 12:48:01 AM   
Emyr Thy King

Thing is both "Saving Private Ryan" (including "Band of Brothers" for that matter) and "Black Hawk Down"greatly informed the visual elements of the "Call of Duty" series. In fact, "CoD 1&2" borrows quite a bit from "SPR" whilst "BHD" clearly inspired the "MW" off-shoot series. It's not uncommon for such games to use military advisors just so the uniforms, tactics, military jargon, weaponry and equipment is authentic and accurate. Besides, the helicopter motif, 'taking a wrong turn', fighting off a horde whilst being cut-off is all rather similar to Ridley Scott's film to me. It's seems a little circular.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 162
RE: Battle Los Angeles: Review - 18/8/2011 1:12:19 AM   
Rgirvan44

Just thought it was interesting that he went straight to the games rather than the films. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 163
RE: Battle Los Angeles: Review - 18/8/2011 8:30:14 PM   
thetruth

It's more for a specific shoot em up style though?As said before,the ultimate influence is by film for games.
As a keen gamer myself,like films,there is a very varied level of quality with this type of action sequence footage in games too.
The term used earlier-i wont say it again! is just a lazy cliche.
Yes directors do look at games for style etc,but the film is NOT a game!

Without love we are dead

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 164
RE: Battle LA - 19/8/2011 11:53:48 AM   
patriciaa

The movie was just awesome i loved it very much,specially the special affects in the movie. Its in the collection my best movies so far.

Post #: 165
5 mins of action recycled for a movie - 1/10/2011 11:01:40 PM   
serious_syd

The concept of the movie is that the only way to 'not lose' LA is to completely destroy it by fighting. Flawed.

Post #: 166
RE: Battle Los Angeles: Review - 19/10/2011 1:20:17 AM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

Just thought it was interesting that he went straight to the games rather than the films. 

I think that's because they're more recent than the sources I mentioned, kinda the zeitgeist at the moment.

quote:

ORIGINAL: serious_syd

The concept of the movie is that the only way to 'not lose' LA is to completely destroy it by fighting. Flawed.

No it wasn't flawed. The strategy was to contain or 'box them in' as the Americans would say. Keep them pinned down in a relatively confined area (L.A is massive) and then annihilate them with artillery, air support and naval fire and whatever else. By the looks of it the aliens had mostly taken central or downtown L.A and some of the suburbs. The reason they let go Santa Monica and other places was because they were very close to the alien beachead and the aliens had organised themselves fairly rapidly and were already pushing further inwards. So it was already too late to re-gain a foothold in those areas. You can't have a story titled "Battle: LA" and then have the fight take place in Palm Springs now.

I've watched the film on blu-ray and it looks marvellous, the beach flyover scene looks striking in that format.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 19/10/2011 1:21:11 AM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 167
RE: Battle Los Angeles: Review - 19/10/2011 9:49:17 AM   
thetruth

You really like this film Emyr!

Without love we are dead

Post #: 168
RE: Battle Los Angeles: Review - 19/10/2011 12:22:31 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Yes, so what. 

We all like films that don't always agree with the tastes of others. . Plus I'm into my alien invasion films. I can't wait for "Battleship" next year. Even though it most likely will be critically and publically panned.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 169
RE: Battle Los Angeles: Review - 19/10/2011 1:29:37 PM   
thetruth

Relax,i love alien invasion films too!

Without love we are dead

Post #: 170
RE: Battle Los Angeles: Review - 19/10/2011 1:33:46 PM   
Emyr Thy King

I am, I'm more chilled than a carbonited Han Solo.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 171
- 22/10/2011 5:04:58 AM   
blanc1g

2 stars is a bit harsh. Unoriginal and cliched it might be but it does what it sets out to do - the hint is in the title. Good fun and entertaining, even the blatant rip offs (can't we have a laugh at these rather than being outraged?)

Post #: 172
RE: - 24/10/2011 3:43:12 PM   
white mage

Another trailer that make you look forward to a film, than get disappointed, the same with Skyline. It had so much potiental, but it left me caring little about the charactors or what happened to them.

We do not write the songs, we live them

(in reply to blanc1g)
Post #: 173
RE: RE: - 4/11/2011 10:30:08 PM   
Hood_Man

Watching this right now, so far it's a lot of fun.

That's it really, I've got nothing more to say

(in reply to white mage)
Post #: 174
Battle: Los Angeles - 26/8/2012 5:05:30 PM   
norgizfox

Even with all of the action and flashy VFX, Battle: Los Angeles runs on thoughtless ideas. With a dull script, cliche characters, and overuse of shaky-cam, this is a loud, cheesy, headache inducing bore.

Post #: 175
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NONSENSE. Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 5 [6]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI