Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Darn good flick; I hope they make a sequel

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Darn good flick; I hope they make a sequel Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Darn good flick; I hope they make a sequel - 28/3/2011 2:25:32 PM   
jonson

I was expecting utter tosh, and I suppose that's what it was, but damn it was entertaining, which is more than I'd hoped for.
So much pinched from far better films, the characters were uninteresting, but as a brains unplugged film I enjoyed it.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to redpaw)
Post #: 121
RE: Darn good flick; I hope they make a sequel - 29/3/2011 3:21:35 PM   
Emyr Thy King

Regardless of whether one enjoyed the film or not. You have to admit the 'beach flypast' scene is stunning. The beautiful yet haunting musical score kicks in, the utter devastation and carnage below and you see the look of shock on the faces of the marines. It just evokes a whole paradise lost sentiment when we see a once tranquil landscape ravaged by war.

Here's the piece of music in question:

For home, country and family (2:00 and onwards)

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 29/3/2011 3:22:50 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 122
RE: Darn good flick; I hope they make a sequel - 29/3/2011 4:16:24 PM   
jonson

Yeah, that secene was stunning. There were some scenes in the whole film that were so close to perfection, then sadly let down by the dialogue and characters.
As far as destruction is concerned, it was more harrowing rather than spectacular like an Emmerich film for example.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 123
RE: Darn good flick; I hope they make a sequel - 1/4/2011 10:37:52 AM   
talpacino

It's really not as bad as I'd been lead to believe. Yes it's nothing all that new and some of the acting and dialogue are well dodgy but it's just an entertaining action movie. There's far worse out there IMO that people I know would rate higher.

I was surprisingly gripped from the start but my interest did wane a little in the second half, probably because I didn't really care about the characters all that much. Still I enjoyed it overall.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 124
RE: Darn good flick; I hope they make a sequel - 11/4/2011 6:56:37 PM   
Deviation

It's pretty mediocre. Very much mediocre, but it has some fun moments and Eckart does his best with a role whose only character traits are BE TORTURED ABOUT YOUR PREVIOUS PLATOON and ARGHHH I A MARINE.

OH AND SPOILERS

Why did they attack the cities? How is it possible to take so much water from the oceans to decrease its level. WHY ATTACK THE CITIES? Whose stupid alien idea was it to make a ground command center and link all the drones to it?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 125
RE: Darn good flick; I hope they make a sequel - 19/4/2011 3:35:45 PM   
TheGreenPlanet

a film with potential but wasted, enjoy it more by turning off your brain

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 126
RE: Darn good flick; I hope they make a sequel - 14/6/2011 12:02:37 PM   
kargon

Slow going. Then picked up well so did expectations. Then it got American. Then waaaaaaaay too American. The End.

"I SAY WHAT I LIKE AND I LIKE WHAT I BLOODY WELL SAY".

"WHAT THE FUCK DOES ANYTHING HAVE TO DO WITH VIETNAM?"

"YOU BETTER BE PUTTING AWAY THAT BLADE, OR YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, EVEN WHILE IT'S HAPPENING"

(in reply to TheGreenPlanet)
Post #: 127
RE: Darn good flick; I hope they make a sequel - 16/6/2011 2:39:12 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
Why did they attack the cities? How is it possible to take so much water from the oceans to decrease its level. WHY ATTACK THE CITIES? Whose stupid alien idea was it to make a ground command center and link all the drones to it?

There could be a few reasons why they attacked the cities. a) wipeout the most populous regions, so to sweep aside any resistance. b) by doing so, they knew they'd draw out the military, so they could annihilate them. c) they needed to establish beacheads on land, in order to extract water. As I'm guessing some of their facilities needed to be above water. d) these are major cities and therefore big transport hubs, which the military would use to move in their ground forces. Take them out and you restrict their movement on the ground. Furthermore, if this was an advanced guard/expeditionary force, they may have intended to clear the way for settlers. The producers stated somewhere that the aliens are not the dominant force on their homeworld (we can see why!). Not to mention the invasion seems hurried and a little ad-hoc. Some of the craft look old and battered by the elements. So they may have had limited gear with them in the first place.

Clearly the conceit of the command centre was there so that we could deliver one mighty coup de grâce! Sure, it's a little bit silly but it's much better than uploading a computer virus via a notebook. I liked how the aliens used drones, which apparently can travel up to speeds of mach 7. God knows how many g's that would pull on a human pilot, you'd need a g-suit tighter than an eskimo's nad sack.

The one thing I would've liked to have seen more of, is the air-to-air battle. In fact, we didn't see any. Of course we see an all-out attack by the USAF and perhaps naval/marine air elements too. However, seeing as the aliens quickly gained command of the skies, I think it would've been better to actually show them taking on our fighter aircraft and winning.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 16/6/2011 2:43:15 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 128
- 3/7/2011 8:23:40 AM   
D.J

Just seen the DVD review in the latest Empire issue, the film has been demoted to one star, and quite frankly, the review itself was downright shoddy.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 129
BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NONSENSE. - 16/7/2011 6:03:54 PM   
lewisb548

LA is known for harbouring famous people and pretty people, but here it harbours stupid looking robotic aliens and a bunch of (cliche.) mismatched raggle taggled soldiers on a desperate search and rescue mission. These uninteresting soldiers are led by Aaron Eckhart who despite the cliches sorrounding his character, (disgruntled sergeant with a dark past and a history of getting his men killed and making supposed, awesome speeches.) He does an ok job.
We've seen this all before but this is a step up from the so bad its good Skyline, which had smoother effects but this is by far a better film with a small amount of the cast, you want to survive, well lets get some things straight, the soldiers are all walking cliches but Michael Pena and Michelle Rodriguez are likeable underwritten characters who thanks to the writers of this film are dead weight for the soldiers, and their involvment slows down the films fast pace. This is action packed and has almost as much explosions as a lone michael bay film but the sheer repetitivness of the films action sequences, drag Battle LA to the ground, Liebsman can make a film with decent action but he doesn't know how to end a film or involve us or the cast enough to keep us awake.
Saying that while Eckhart made a speech I fell asleep (no joke.) but seeing extras getting crushed, shot or killed even all at once provides a suitable saturday/friday night action watch to see with your friends as you down beers and wonder why this film with huge potential ended up as such a mess, that said, this is worth a watch for fans of Michael Bay/action films, and I must say when the soldiers were getting killed, I couldn't give a fuck.
I fell asleep twice in this film during a speech and during the alien operation scene, I give this an ok-ish 8.5/10 and a 3 stars, this my friend is worth a watch or a buy, but me, I'm going to watch TV until I can scrounge up enough money to buy this on DVD when it is cheap. BYE NOW.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 130
RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NO... - 20/7/2011 5:14:23 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Really enjoyed the film. Didn't know what to expect going off the mixed reviews but I thought it was solid. Basically Black Hawk Down but with Aliens. The action was intense and never let up; stand out scene being the end and the freeway bridge sequance. The characters were well thought out to. Sure the dialogue was cheesy at times but I don't mind shit like that when it's the right context. Anyhow the film worked for me. Really enjoyed it and I'd reccomend it for fans of the genre. Would make a wicked double bill along side District 9.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to lewisb548)
Post #: 131
RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NO... - 22/7/2011 10:50:16 AM   
Dead Mike

Absolute dogsh!t. Like watching someone else play an xbox game for 2 hours, awful 'characters', hackneyed dialogue that managed to shoehorn every cliché available into it. Eckhart should fire his agent for this sh!t.
Will appeal to children & morons.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 132
RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NO... - 22/7/2011 11:38:38 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

this movie gave me the impression that there was loads of awesome action going on, it's a shame the director didn't see fit to actually show it. He opted instead to shake the camera for two hours at actors firing guns. I hope he doesn't fuck up Wrath of the Titans

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Dead Mike)
Post #: 133
RE: Darn good flick; I hope they make a sequel - 22/7/2011 11:40:08 AM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: kargon

Slow going. Then picked up well so did expectations. Then it got American. Then waaaaaaaay too American. The End.

The movie is American from the first frame

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to kargon)
Post #: 134
RE: Darn good flick; I hope they make a sequel - 22/7/2011 11:52:35 PM   
CORLEONE

I love alien invasion films but I thought this was crap. Schmaltz only works when you care about the characters. And the aliens were rubbish. They were like green turds wrapped in tin foil.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 135
RE: Darn good flick; I hope they make a sequel - 3/8/2011 10:19:05 AM   
thetruth

Mmmmm,what did people expect?It had more cringe than Independence Day,but lacked a character like Will Smith,and was a bit too serious.I know its a serious subject,but a bit of tongue in cheek wouldnt go amiss!
Started well,then went ultra American,and dark.
3 star rainy day film.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 136
RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NO... - 4/8/2011 7:25:25 AM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dead Mike
Absolute dogsh!t. Like watching someone else play an xbox game for 2 hours, awful 'characters', hackneyed dialogue that managed to shoehorn every cliché available into it. Eckhart should fire his agent for this sh!t.
Will appeal to children & morons.

Would people please stop with the "It's like watching someone play Call of Duty but you can't join in" type crap that I've often seen repeated. Probably from the Film 2011 review no doubt. I in fact don't mind watching a mate play a game if it's entertaining, some selfish lot here by the looks of it. Secondly, if this film was clearly intended for "children and morons" as Dead Mike (dead upstairs?) put it. Then he must be very gullible and thicker than a good dollop of maple syrup.

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth

Mmmmm,what did people expect?It had more cringe than Independence Day,but lacked a character like Will Smith,and was a bit too serious.I know its a serious subject,but a bit of tongue in cheek wouldnt go amiss!
Started well,then went ultra American,and dark.
3 star rainy day film.

A character like Will Smith? Are you seriously taking the piss? There was nothing "ultra American" per se other than focusing on a USMC platoon. I thought there was no jingoism or xenophobia....uhh scratch the latter. They're a proud fighting force just like the British Army or Royal Marines, so what? The story was meant to be dark and bleak. It's about combat and the horrors of war to an extent, nothing fluffy or puffy like ID4.

quote:

ORIGINAL: CORLEONE
They were like green turds wrapped in tin foil.

Sounds like one of your pyjama parties where green is the colour of choice and foil blankets are necessary to keep warm.

lewisb548, good to know you caught up on some kip but a bit daft if you did so in the cinema. It's obvious you slept too much as they're marines, not soldiers.

Ahhh..I feel better now.

(in reply to Dead Mike)
Post #: 137
RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NO... - 4/8/2011 10:25:33 AM   
thetruth

Jeepers,who's in bad form?
I essentially liked this,i just felt at times it didnt know exactly what approach it was taking.
Aaron's character was essentially a huh-rah marine without any humour,all stars and stripes and never leave a man behind bullshit.That grates for me.From the "steady on old boy" in Zulu,it just annoys me when films trot out these cliches.Reflective of the time,i know,but still annoying.
Eckhart is a better actor than this,the,material just didnt let him off the leash.
Anyhows,certainly not as bad as some here have said!

Without love we are dead

Post #: 138
RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NO... - 4/8/2011 10:39:06 AM   
Vitamin F

Found this to be one big, expensive, cliched yawn!
Nothing memorable about it, just another case of cgi becoming steadily less impressive since anything is possible to render these days.
I couldn't believe an alien invasion film on this scale could be a bit boring, but there you go...

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 139
RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NO... - 4/8/2011 5:02:07 PM   
Emyr Thy King

If you referred to me thetruth, I didn't take too kindly to someone stating that only imbeciles and the immature would like this film. A bit uncalled for.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 140
RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NO... - 4/8/2011 5:11:06 PM   
thetruth

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

If you referred to me thetruth, I didn't take too kindly to someone stating that only imbeciles and the immature would like this film. A bit uncalled for.

Emmmm,not me old boy!
Never said that about you or anyone else for that matter!

Without love we are dead

Post #: 141
RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NO... - 4/8/2011 7:41:58 PM   
CORLEONE

Emyr, I know you like the film but don't take the piss out of my pyjama parties ever ever again.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 142
RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NO... - 4/8/2011 8:27:58 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: thetruth
Emmmm,not me old boy!
Never said that about you or anyone else for that matter!

I should clarify. I responded to your "Jeepers,who's in bad form?" comment. As I thought you may have been referring to the tone of my post. As if I was in a bad mood. I wasn't having a go at you, just explaining why I critcised Dead (upstairs) Mike.

CORLEONE, I hold your pyjama parties with great affection. Although please don't describe your party guests as little shits, it's unbecoming.

(in reply to thetruth)
Post #: 143
RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NO... - 4/8/2011 8:29:28 PM   
Rgirvan44

Battle LA is this years Terminator Salvation for you, isn't it Emyr?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 144
RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NO... - 4/8/2011 9:19:15 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Battle LA is this years Terminator Salvation for you, isn't it Emyr?

Everyone has their own "T:S" Rgirvan. I just think it's a cracking film for what it is. Some of the criticism used against it borders on the egregious when people use the same crap, such as the "Call of Duty" one. I think "Battle: LA" will have more longevity than "T:S" though.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 145
RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NO... - 4/8/2011 9:42:34 PM   
Rgirvan44

It was a joke Emyr.

And as for the videogame comments - it isn't an "out there" criticism. I liked the movie well enough, but there is a videogame vibe there - something even some of the cast and crew have mentioned.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 146
RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NO... - 4/8/2011 10:45:42 PM   
CORLEONE

I loved Terminator Salvation.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 147
RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NO... - 5/8/2011 12:45:11 AM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

It was a joke Emyr.

And as for the videogame comments - it isn't an "out there" criticism. I liked the movie well enough, but there is a videogame vibe there - something even some of the cast and crew have mentioned.

Not a bloody good one then.

It can be difficult to tell whether someone's joking here, certainly when one deadpans it.

Going back on-topic. If someone says the film was like a 'video game' experience, I wouldn't agree with them but I'd think fine, that's their experience. If they use it as a criticism then I have to say I'm mystified. The only remotely 'computer gamey' thing about the film were the P.O.V shots from the rifle scopes.  Furthermore, if someone complains about it being like a computer game. It's just irritating, as they remind you of that twat who isn't happy unless he's playing the game. The kind that would snatch the joypad because "I want to play or I'll have a paddy!". If people will criticise the film on the basis of a poor dialogue/script, camera work, acting etc then fine. They're valid in the context of what makes a film work or not. Just not this whinging that it was somehow an inaccessible game. Especially when it's a damn film and therefore can only offer a vicarious enjoyment if you will.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 148
RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NO... - 5/8/2011 12:47:09 AM   
CORLEONE

The script was crap, wasn't it? Cringe inducing in places.

Post #: 149
RE: BATTLE LA: DECENT ACTION PACKED EXPLOSION FILLED NO... - 5/8/2011 12:48:53 AM   
Rgirvan44

Funnily enough, there was a videogame for Battle LA released...and it pretty much is the movie.

I personally don't mind - Universial Solider 3 had the same idea.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Darn good flick; I hope they make a sequel Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI