Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: "Hold On, Guys, I'm Gonna Cry..."

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: "Hold On, Guys, I'm Gonna Cry..." Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: "Hold On, Guys, I'm Gonna Cry..." - 16/3/2011 10:42:55 PM   
Rgirvan44

Well I really enjoyed it. Sure the trailers made it feel like there would be something deeper going on, but I think it is getting unfairly bashed around these here parts. Yeah the script won't win awards, but there is only like 10 minutes of people actully talking - the action is nicely shot, and I think there must be a generational thing with the shaky cam, cause I wasn't bothered  by it at all.

There was a nice stripped down feel to the whole thing, and the visuals were great. Just wish there was a little more going on underneath, but still far far better than Skyline and its ilk.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 91
BATTLE,BATTLE,BATTLE LOS ANGELES!!! - 17/3/2011 12:43:15 AM   
Snake 4Skin

Jus watched this,ina reeally LOUD cinema. Could of watched another 2 hours of it straight. Goin in2 this, my main gripe with it woz;itz gona get boring. It did NOT get boring. Luv'd the cheesey dialogue,Eckhart shud of had a Saxophone riff with his "1 day 2 retirement staff sarge. Awesum alien design and luv'd the fact u came out still not knowin' exactly wot they looked like. Havnt enjoy'd shit blowin' up like this ina long time. Kim,2 stars...really?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 92
RE: BATTLE,BATTLE,BATTLE LOS ANGELES!!! - 18/3/2011 9:03:46 AM   
Timon

I think Battle: LA is by its very nature a guilty pleasure. I was actually expecting great things from it, and while I didn’t get them, I did enjoy it in a “Wow, this is quite bad it’s good kind of way”.

Firstly, I started mentally predicting who would cop it and out of the range of clichéd characters I had quite a choice – The Virgin, The Green Lt. Who Was Top Of His Class But Has Never Led Men Into Combat (And Who Has A Pregnant Wife), The Man Who Is Getting Married, The Grizzled Sarge, The Loud Mouth and a nice selection of ethnics. And Christ, the dialogue was on the nose – it was straight out of the Book of War Cliches.

For example:

“The names of the men I lost are etched into my soul etc etc”

However nothing is cooler than a sky full of helicopters and lots of things blowing up…. So in that regard, I did enjoy it. Plus I like Michelle Rodriguez.

I loved the whole “We cannot lose Los Angeles!” which then went to “We’ve lost Los Angeles!” and then ended with “We’re taking back Los Angeles!”

Hoo-ha!

Oh and the music was really out of place....

3/5

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Snake 4Skin)
Post #: 93
RE: BATTLE,BATTLE,BATTLE LOS ANGELES!!! - 18/3/2011 9:15:41 AM   
Tech_Noir

I still think the first third, or half, was amazing.

I would have preferred a more downbeat ending with the aliens eventually winning. They still could have had the pro-military propaganda, the whole soldiers never quit thing.

Wonder if we'll get a Battle: New York.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 94
RE: BATTLE,BATTLE,BATTLE LOS ANGELES!!! - 18/3/2011 9:24:51 AM   
Timon

I'd prefer something more global - Battle: Tokyo!

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 95
RE: BATTLE,BATTLE,BATTLE LOS ANGELES!!! - 18/3/2011 9:43:14 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I'd prefer something more global - Battle: Tokyo!

Errrrrrrr.......

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 96
RE: BATTLE,BATTLE,BATTLE LOS ANGELES!!! - 18/3/2011 9:57:26 AM   
Timon

Too soon?

Fine. Battle: Hamburg

Let's get some continental destruction.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 97
RE: BATTLE,BATTLE,BATTLE LOS ANGELES!!! - 18/3/2011 3:43:44 PM   
paulyboy

I think a chap behind me as we were walking out of the cinema said it best:

"Fuck me, they literally couldn't have blown more shit up if they had tried!"

The script isn't great (in fact it's flat-out awful in places) but that doesn't matter a great deal, I think much like Black Hawk Down the film's soul aim is to put you on the ground and in the shit for two hours and in that regard I really can't fault it great deal. It's utterly relentless and suprisingly tense with several particularly enjoyable set-pieces throughout.

Thoroughly enjoyed it.

3.5/5

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 98
battle la - 18/3/2011 4:58:30 PM   
HERMES_67

i enjoyed this film; head and shoulders above Skyline. Well worth a watch if you've a couple of hrs with nothing planned... Enjoy...

Post #: 99
RE: battle la - 18/3/2011 5:48:47 PM   
Beno

Id like to see an apology from Empire for a poor review for a movie that is much better than said review stated.

The 4 pages of reviews on this thread are around 90% positive.

Read em Empire ........ read em. You got this one wrong.

Only kidding chaps. Its all about opinions.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to HERMES_67)
Post #: 100
RE: battle la - 19/3/2011 9:53:23 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Do you not think the Aliens looked a little bit like the one's from the Smash ads.

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 101
Battle: Camera - 19/3/2011 12:56:18 PM   
JackEmpireOwen

Battle: Los Angeles was a good film and if it wasn't the constant shaky camera that constantly moved it would of been a 4 star. But I realise that this camera technique is to give it that reality feel that you never get to catch a full shot of the unknown enemy and when the marines run the camera moves with them, not in a still shot but someone who is running with the camera, I don't think I could count 2 still shots, it zooms in and our and moves. The action is brilliant and Eckhart is good, but not as good and Harvey Dent but yes all in all a good film and really not worth the humiliation of a 2 star review.

Post #: 102
Black Hawk Down V aliens - 20/3/2011 11:50:19 PM   
bretty

I think Empire's two stars is harsh. This is a grunt eye view of an alien invasion with a bit of Marine gung ho. Reminded me of Black Hawk Down more then a few times but for all it's obvious formula and lack of originality, this was a perfectly okay all action shoot 'em up.

Post #: 103
- 21/3/2011 10:44:00 AM   
Bubba76

Deffo not a 2 star film.

Post #: 104
I quite liked it! - 22/3/2011 2:03:43 PM   
Emyr Thy King

*Contains spoilers*

I went to see the film last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't think the dialogue was as awful as many people made it out to be but it was rather stock dialogue. I really liked how they did the build-up to the whole mission. Where the marines had to gather their stuff, then make it to the forward operating base for their briefing before heading out. I particularly like the moment the marines pass through the first checkpoint and you see a lot of military activity with that soldier firing the first mortar round, it just sets it up quite well. I have to say I didn't quite care so much for the characters until later on, when they were a little more established. I thought Aaron Eckhart's character was pretty good and his history in Iraq made him interesting. I thought the 'PTSD' guy was good but he could've done with a bit more exposition and character exploration. I thought Michael Peña's character was sorely underused and it's a shame he wasn't given more to do. I don't understand why some people took issue with the "but it doesn't matter right now" bit at the end of Nantz's speech. He didn't disregard what he said, he merely reminded them that it had no bearing on what they had to do and indeed there was a job to get on with. It was about getting them focused on the task at hand. I liked the music but it could've been a bit more 'bombastic' in some places and even though it was good, it didn't really underline anything. It was just there throughout most of the film. The visual effects were very good and the explosions, camera control and cinematography gave the film a sense of immediacy and I thought it had a nice visceral quality to it.

There's one thing that left me a little puzzled. I understand that the drones tracked the radio communications back to their source in the F.O.Bs, in order to wipe out the aircraft in the area and gain dominance of the skies. However, why couldn't the fast-attack aircraft like the F-18 just roll in and take out the drones? I think the radio guy says 'command' mentions "the drones have lit up the sky like nothing they've seen before" but that was rather vague. I recall seeing F18s attacking those floating gun platforms quite a bit but not seeing them be shot down.

In regards to water being the reason why they presumably invaded us. I had no problem with it, sure water ice exists elsewhere in the solar system but wouldn't you prefer a readily available source of liquid water in a habitable environment? Perhaps their plans involved terrorforming (sic) Earth and knocking out our ant-hill civilisation before it became a serious threat to them in the future. I think it was a pre-emptive attack.

3.5/5. Solid entertainment but could have done with fine-tuning.

I would like to see a franchise develope from this film. I'm not sure whether they can go back to Los Angeles even though it would be interesting. I think the idea that this assault was just an expeditionary element (just like the marines) could be a route to take, should they wish to do a sequel.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 23/3/2011 12:00:58 AM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to Bubba76)
Post #: 105
RE: I quite liked it! - 23/3/2011 9:51:45 AM   
Marwood

I quite enjoyed it too, it's not one I'll be rushing out to see again but I'll probably stick it on the LoveFilm list.

I was actually surprised at how cheesy it was to be honest, the action was well staged but whenever the bullets stopped flying there were too many generic "questioning beliefs" or "strengthening resolve" moments which were lifted straight out of other films. In fact I think my general issue with the film is that nothing in there is original - the style is very much Black Hawk Down, the creature designs are a mashup of numerous sci-fi films, the "heroic" moments are straight out of any American war film and the characters are just cardboard cut outs. When they were all being introduced at the beginning I was thinking "Your wife's pregnant, you're dead. You two are best friends, one of you will die. Your first mission, you're dead. You're the only woman, you'll live" and I think I was right in all cases.

Anyway, solid entertainment but nothing new.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 106
RE: I quite liked it! - 23/3/2011 3:36:36 PM   
Invader_Ace

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King

I would like to see a franchise develope from this film. I'm not sure whether they can go back to Los Angeles even though it would be interesting. I think the idea that this assault was just an expeditionary element (just like the marines) could be a route to take, should they wish to do a sequel.

I haven't seen this yet, but isn't the full title something like
World Assault.  Battle: Los Angeles

I'm pretty sure I read that the intention (boxoffice allowing) was to have a series of Battle films that build a picture all over the world.

World Assault.  Battle: Hull

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 107
RE: I quite liked it! - 23/3/2011 4:27:59 PM   
Marwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: Invader_Ace

quote:

I'm pretty sure I read that the intention (boxoffice allowing) was to have a series of Battle films that build a picture all over the world.

No the full title as it appears in the actual film is just Battle Los Angeles (no colon). However I like the idea of the invasion being recounted through different characters in different sites, not sure it should all be done in the same way (i.e. soliders POV) to avoid it all being too repetitive but I suppose doing different approaches would end up just being like other films anyway, no doubt any sequel/related film from civilians' POV would end up being like Cloverfield.

Bilbo: What about the Ewoks? They were rubbish.

Tim: Yeah but Jar Jar Binks makes the Ewoks look like f***ing Shaft!

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 108
RE: Battle: Los Angeles - 23/3/2011 7:45:45 PM   
R W

Director: Jonathan Liebesman
Screenwriter: Christopher Bertolini
Starring: Aaron Eckhart, Michelle Rodriguez, Ramon Rodriguez, Bridget Moynahan, Michael Pena

Synopsis
SSgt. Michael Nantz (Eckhart) who was about to retire is then pull back into the line of duty in order to assist a 2nd Lieutenant (Rodriguez) and his platoon as they fight to reclaim the city of Los Angeles from alien invaders.

Review
If there is anything interesting to say about the new film by the director of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre: The Beginning, is that the Brothers Strause who worked on the visual effects for this film made their own alien invasion flick last year: Skyline. Since its release, legal action has been taken against the brothers for plagiarising some of Battle's "ideas”. While the off-screen fight was one of interest, on-screen not so much.

Although Skyline was by no means a great movie, it was an interesting attempt at making a post-Cloverfield piece (made on a small budget) but was riddled with clichés and falls apart at the very end. In the case of Battle: Los Angeles, what director Jonathan Liebesman brings to this is a Black Hawk Down pastiche with elements we have seen so many times in alien invasion films. The biggest element of all is L.A. itself, which is constantly used as a place of destruction (with or without aliens).

Like Ridley Scott's BHD, the first minutes quickly introduces the soldiers one-by-one, who are essentially two-dimensional caricatures as the actors don't have any time to flesh out their roles as the whole film is going 100mph. The dialogue as said by these macho guys (particularly Eckhart doing a couple of so-called inspirational speeches) is so toe-curling, you almost want to find the screenwriter and strangle him.

Although I can praise Skyline for its impressive CGI that was done on a very limited budget, I can't say exactly the same thing for this film which seems to be filmed entirely without the use of a tripod, that you can't see a lot of the action (motion sickness, ahoy!). From the first to the final frame, it is explosions, gunshots and derivativeness throughout as Liebesman never lets the film to have a sit down.

Following his dramatic performance from Rabbit Hole, Aaron Eckhart walks (or better yet runs) into this with a face that is 100% intense as the central protagonist with a tragic military background and hopes to redeem himself through this battle. Yet, his mean face gets a bit tiresome as the film progresses. As for Michelle Rodriguez, she seems to be typecast as she is basically replaying her role from Avatar.

Verdict
An adrenaline rush in which you can't hear and think. If you want to see a better depiction of an alien invasion, get Skyline on DVD and if that doesn't please you, wait for Gareth Edwards' Monsters to come out.

< Message edited by R W -- 23/3/2011 7:46:12 PM >

Post #: 109
RE: I quite liked it! - 24/3/2011 11:33:56 AM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

quote:

Alternative titles (click)

It's strange, in Europe and Australia the "World Invasion" part is included but in the U.K and elsewhere it's just "Battle: L.A/Los Angeles". I would also like to see the invasion being fought around the rest of the world. I think "Battle: London" could be good, failing that then perhaps somewhere in Europe. Paris or Hamburg.

There are two websites with the exact same content:

Battle: L.A

World Invasion

The former for the U.S/North America and the latter for Europe, Asia and elsewhere.

quote:

"World Invasion: Battle/Skirmish Cardiff"

I kid you not:

Interactive map (under past sightings)

Well...it's by the sea at least.

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

Post #: 110
RE: I quite liked it! - 24/3/2011 8:26:55 PM   
superdan

quote:

I would love that. The aliens emerge from the muddy waters of the Humber estuary only to be confronted by some toothless bloke in a ratty tracksuit, going
"Ere maaate, you couldn't borrow us a fahvuh could ye, only me pherne is brok an' ah need to gerrome...ere maate, maaaate coomback! Yefookin' wanker!!"

Aliens depart for the next city immediately.

Post #: 111
THRILLING ALIEN FUN - 25/3/2011 1:24:07 AM   
DMeister

EMPIRE are most definetly a little too harsh on this film especially since it is far more engaging, interesting and thrilling than the awful Skyline. It is cliched yes but then again who seriously was expecting this to be anything else? An alien invasion action film that combines Independence Day with Black Hawk Down and that is exactly what it delivers. The characters are typically diverse with predictably their own inner demons but Eckhart is a great lead and as the film continues, their courage and determination genuinly has you rooting for them and take satisfaction when they kick alien ass. This not by any means sophisticated and the shaky camera effect is occasionally too much and not needed. However the alien designs are quite clever, the landscape of war torn LA is stunning and the action sensational. What more fun could you have on a friday night than this?

Post #: 112
RE: THRILLING ALIEN FUN - 25/3/2011 12:31:00 PM   
Roykfrapp

I think Empire were pretty spot on, heres my take. i can understand this being a guilty pleasure though...

You know the emotion, you have felt it before. You watch a trailer for an action-packed extravaganza that could well be epic, then you watch it and realise how badly advertised and just how poor the actual 'event' is....i suffered this predicament after watching this load of old baloney.

Firstly the only good point to this film...it has 1 or 2 scenes that feel like they should be in another film and the initial invasion is intrguing at best....oh and some cool explosions.

Unfortunately if you dont have decent characters to root for, some form of original concept and a decent emotive story to back it all up, then theres really no point...Teens, especially teen boys, may well think this is the coolest film ever mind you.

There is too much american flag waving and incessant shouting and ridiculous camera shots plus the aliens are mostly shot from a distance.

It isnt quite as bad as Skyline but nowhere near the greatness of District 9. hell, you might aswell watch independance day again, at least you could tell what the hell was going on during the actiony parts.

http://www.freewebs.com/therewillbefilmreviews/

(in reply to DMeister)
Post #: 113
RE: THRILLING ALIEN FUN - 25/3/2011 7:23:06 PM   
DMeister

Oh I agree in most respects there and I can't really disagree with any specific points you make. I don't think anyone's gonna argue this is the greatest alien invasion pic ever but I found it to be a hell of a lot of fun. Had a great time watching this while sighing and sniggering at the biggest and silliest of cliches but I expected to see this in the movie itself.

A million miles better than the simply atrocious Skyline which I hated, although I hated Jonah Hex more than Skyline, but nowhere near the quality of District 9 although on a plus side not as disturbing either.

(in reply to Roykfrapp)
Post #: 114
RE: THRILLING ALIEN FUN - 25/3/2011 8:35:08 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: Roykfrapp
Unfortunately if you dont have decent characters to root for, some form of original concept and a decent emotive story to back it all up, then theres really no point...Teens, especially teen boys, may well think this is the coolest film ever mind you.

For me, it was the actions and the courage of the characters that made me root for them. Sure, it takes a while to warm to them but you do eventually. I thought Staff Sergeant Nantz was by far the most compelling and his scenes with the boy Hector were interesting. I have admitted the screenplay needed a bit of work and it did short-change the film a little bit.

I have to say I think that latter statement of yours is a little condescending. I don't think it's the best film ever made but I found it thoroughly enjoyable. Yes there are some silly moments such as the "I'm a veterinarian" line but you just go along with it. This is a war film, you will get the clichés, you will get the mad dash for glory, you will get the rousing (or not) speeches.

quote:

There is too much american flag waving and incessant shouting and ridiculous camera shots plus the aliens are mostly shot from a distance.

No it's not, if anything it's a love letter to the U.S Marine Corps. I didn't get any hint of "the U.S is here and we will save the world!". At the end of it, this is just a microcosm of a global conflict. One dwindling platoon's struggle against a highly advanced alien race who've pretty much ripped us a new arsehole. The conceit is that we're thrown into these skirmishes. Unfortunately a lot of things go bang and so it becomes quite loud, you have to shout.

If you want to find a film with American jingoism, look no further than "Independence Day". An entertaining film but it's rank with it. The whole idea that the alien invasion is defeated on July the 4th, an American holiday now transposed to the rest of the world. The fact that people from various echelons of American society banded together to beat the aliens. Even the god damn U.S president manning a fighter plane, quite comical. Although it's funny that with the BBC's radio play "Independence Day UK", I think Dean Devlin told them it was all right to do as long as they made sure the Americans still won the day.

Look, the Marines just like any other armed service are a proud fighting force. So they should be, they often make the ultimate sacrifice. You can level a complaint that this film is merely a recruitment advert for the Marines or you can say it's a pastiche which is at least sincere if a little obvious in its homage to them.

Given we saw a number of firefights, it's no wonder the aliens were shot from a distance...although we get a good look later.

quote:

It isnt quite as bad as Skyline but nowhere near the greatness of District 9. hell, you might aswell watch independance day again, at least you could tell what the hell was going on during the actiony parts.

Funnily enough, I could summarise my experience of "District 9" with "Unfortunately if you dont have decent characters to root for, some form of original concept and a decent emotive story to back it all up, then theres really no point."

Besides, the aforementioned film is completely different to this film. I don't see how the comparison fits.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 25/3/2011 8:37:26 PM >

(in reply to Roykfrapp)
Post #: 115
Darn good flick; I hope they make a sequel - 25/3/2011 8:41:27 PM   
coyoteone

So Battle is "less stellar" than Skyline? I definitely don't agree with that. I'm female, and I enjoyed the heck out of this movie. I didn't see anything wrong with having the Marines featured, and there were moments when the action affected me. I felt anger, sadness and pride. This was a grunt's eye view of an alien invasion, and it worked for me. I enjoyed watching Aaron Eckhart, Michelle Rodriquez and the rest of the cast, and if they make a sequel, I'll be there. I've heard complaints that we didn't try to communicate with the aliens, and that tells me the people complaining either didn't see the movie, or were complaining just for the sake of it. These aliens weren't ET. They didn't show up wrapped in a white sheet like Gandhi offering an olive branch. They showed up shooting, and humanity responded. Those Marines were scared, but they did their jobs despite their fear. I could think of worse ways to spend two hours, and Monsters is one of them. District 9 was okay, but it had its flaws too.

Post #: 116
RE: Darn good flick; I hope they make a sequel - 26/3/2011 12:02:26 AM   
gunstar

Entertaining enough, but thsat doesn't stop it being shite.

'We can take these Deadites! We can take them.....with science."

"We'll get 'em. We'll throw the book at them. Assault and kidnapping. Assault with a gun and a bourbon and a sports car."

"Falcon! Grab my ankles!"

(in reply to coyoteone)
Post #: 117
RE: Darn good flick; I hope they make a sequel - 26/3/2011 3:38:54 AM   
Qwerty Norris

Being a relatively avid gamer, I feel I can speak with a decent level of authority to express the pleasure of playing the highly popular but no less efficient Call of Duty series. As a computer game, the first person shooter manages to capture both the panic and adrenaline rush of being stuck in a diabolical combat-based situation as you play it. However, like any other computer game, watching someone else having a go and enjoying themselves is a different experience altogether - a dull and tedious affair that makes you feel excluded from any developing drama occurring on screen.  

That in essence nails the problem with Battle : Los Angeles, which has undoubtedly been inspired both by the enormous success of the various COD instalments, as well as a recent renaissance in mainstream cinema for alien invasion flicks - the crowning achievement being Neil Blomkamp's District 9. Yet, whilst both of those managed to entertain in very different ways, fellow South African Jonathan Liebesman and his $100 million science fiction romp achieves no sense of entertainment whatsoever – unless you count the concept of watching someone else playing a computer game a hoot.  

Without question, the vast majority of its narrative plays out like a continuous loop of the Modern Warfare levels -but not the good ones involving the wonderfully-tached Captain Price and the various factions of the SAS.  Battle : Los Angeles in essence, feels like watching someone else playing an endless repetition of levels involving the faceless, personality-free US military who run from one area to another, doing nothing but shoot anything that moves, occasionally explain the threadbare plot to one another and lose a battalion member per location in the process.  

This of course would be fine if you either gave a monkeys bottom about any of the poor suckers fighting against our extra terrestrial oppressors or were thrilled by the ongoing carnage on display. In truth however, the beginning twenty minutes of rubbish exposition will, if anything, make you root even more for our alien overlords to crush the moronic imbeciles that we're forced to care about for the films two hour duration. Not that it truly matters however, as aside from Aaron Eckhart's instantly recognizable moody staff sergeant, once everyone straps on their helmets and combat gear you'll instantly forget which of the characters has a pregnant wife, a mental health issue or is simply a grade A bell-end after drinking a few bottles of some well-placed alcoholic product placement.  

And then there's the "action."  There's no thrill to the proceedings. There's no "wow” factor. There's nothing memorable or remarkable about any of the set-pieces. There is no sense of drama, of panic, of insanity, of anything being truly at stake. There are plenty of things happening yet at the same time absolutely nothing happens at all. There is never a sense of a world on its knees fighting for its life – just a series of middle of the road sequences that have been done so much better before from the likes of proper ET from hell nonsense such as Independence Day to the paranoid adrenaline-junkie orientated dementia of the Hurt Locker. It attempts to combine the idea of fighting against beings from outer space in a contemporary warfare setting like those of Iraq & Afghanistan (or the Call of Duty : Modern Warfare series), yet only achieves in being both a rubbish war film and a mediocre alien movie – and an expensive one in that! A film whose budget could have funded the cost of four District 9s, two hundred Monsters or god forbid, even ten Skyline's! Once again, mainstream Hollywood has excelled itself in wasting a considerable amount of money in a genre film when others have managed to create something vastly superior for a fraction of the price.

2/5

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 26/3/2011 3:39:41 AM >

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 118
RE: Darn good flick; I hope they make a sequel - 26/3/2011 1:54:24 PM   
Roykfrapp

quote:

ORIGINAL: gunstar

Entertaining enough, but thsat doesn't stop it being shite.

That had me chuckling, without going in deep, pretty much sums it up. I get why peeps might like this film, i just personally think there are better examples out there of this genre and it could, i stress could, have been so much better. I could have given it a generous 3 stars as a guilty pleasure but i would rather watch, i dont know, Taken or Bubba Ho Tep, as entertaining hokum. actually scrap Bubba, thats just pure class!!

http://www.freewebs.com/therewillbefilmreviews/

(in reply to gunstar)
Post #: 119
RE: Darn good flick; I hope they make a sequel - 27/3/2011 7:59:48 PM   
redpaw

As it's been mentioned in an earlier post, this is a 'grunt's-eye-view' of an alien invasion. This is a great concept. Unfortunately, just like how the aliens are mostly shot from a hundred feet away, it seems the director's employed the same tactic in shooting the film. This was utter shit. As an aspiring writer, I am, frankly, appalled this script ever got the green light. The entire opening of the film is loaded with ABSOLUTELY pointless character set-up that NEVER comes back into the story, but as Staff Sergeant... whoever says; none of that matters since we we don't give two shits about the characters anyway. This film is NOT a guilty pleasure, it is NOT a so-bad-it's-good film, it's quite simply, good old fashioned, utter tosh.

(in reply to Roykfrapp)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: "Hold On, Guys, I'm Gonna Cry..." Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI