Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

wrong rating

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> wrong rating Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
wrong rating - 20/3/2011 1:23:38 PM   
claudemg

This is at least a 4 star film if ever i saw one. The animation is superb and the story unfolds like a live-action film. It is involving, funny and has a heart. Saying that this is a 3 star film gives parents the wrong idea - and this is clearly a film both for parents and their kids alike, not just the kids.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
wrong rating - 20/3/2011 1:23:42 PM   
claudemg

This is at least a 4 star film if ever i saw one. The animation is superb and the story unfolds like a live-action film. It is involving, funny and has a heart. Saying that this is a 3 star film gives parents the wrong idea - and this is clearly a film both for parents and their kids alike, not just the kids.

Post #: 32
Weirdly wonderful - 20/3/2011 10:38:22 PM   
typewriter

This has got to be one of the greatest animated movies of all time! It deserves at least a 4! It's got beautiful animation and clever surreal moments. Highlights include a vision of Clint Eastwood and a group of singing owls.

Post #: 33
amazing - 21/3/2011 1:23:03 PM   
a123matt

loved this film, went thinking it would be a dull kids film, was massively suprised, I loved it. in the same vien as fantastic mr fox, wierd and more adult than you think, lots of ace references (sometimes feels like an episode of Spaced!), the animation is stunning and the voice work is fab. anyone who loves Depp in his more indie wierd mode will love this.

Post #: 34
RE: Rango - 23/3/2011 9:28:38 AM   
Jessica_ca_ca_ca

This film is a completely unexpected surprise. Fairly standard storyline -- it happens like it says on the tin kinda thing -- but the characters, animation and entire make-up of the film has quirky brilliance written all over it. Loved the small homages to other movies, which didn't overshadow but rather highlighted Rango's originality. Good call, Depp.

You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.

(in reply to a123matt)
Post #: 35
I think the peyote just kicked in... - 5/4/2011 12:20:13 AM   
Rich Empire

I enjoyed this film a lot more than I thought I would. I had no idea it was going to be so tripped out.
There's a lot of stuff that kids might not quite get, so to pass this off as a kiddie film not for adults would be a mistake.
It's got a lot less gags than say a Pixar film, but all in all it felt satisfying, with some nice music thrown in.
The texture of the animation is really something to behold as well.
Could be one of the sleeper hits of the year.

Post #: 36
Imaginative masterpiece - 22/5/2011 10:39:09 AM   
djphilips

Rango is creative, clever, beautifully animated and strongly entertaining, with Depp giving a masterful, witty performance.

Post #: 37
Rango is Magnificent. Needs to be REASESSED! WRONG RATING! - 22/5/2011 1:10:00 PM   
teemto

I'm sorry, Kim Newman must not be a fan of Westerns, because Rango was not just a great animated film that riffed on Westerns, it was a great Western, period.

I was constantly surprised at the sophisticated plotting, great character development, and dark dark humor of this piece. Easily one of Gore Verbinski's best films EVER. This is a classic, make no mistake... and it would easily fit on a shelf right next to the Coen's True Grit and Once Upon a Time in the West.

I was dismayed to see the review Empire gave this film that made me as giddy as a schoolboy as I watched it in the theater. Either Kim Newman is not a fan of Westerns, or has no sense of humor whatsoever... bec this film was amazing.

Post #: 38
RE: Rango is Magnificent. Needs to be REASESSED! WRONG ... - 24/6/2011 12:27:29 PM   
JagLover

I watched this on a plane, so not the best conditions.

But it had something special that most cartoons don't these days, originality.

A four star movie really and I don't really see how you can mark a cartoon down for not being aimed at the kiddies, who said they have to be?

(in reply to teemto)
Post #: 39
On the same sidelines of The fantastic Mr. fox! - 29/6/2011 2:29:00 PM   
batbhai

Good for a one-time watch. Johnny Depp steals the show just like in Alicein Wonderland. The rest is deja vu- Protagonist pretends to be hero, public finds out and then hero tries to prove a thing or two!
Script is oscillating between kids and adults view!

Post #: 40
- 30/6/2011 9:50:32 PM   
ARmy2510

Empire reviews sucks lately...

Post #: 41
- 28/7/2011 12:53:09 AM   
theoriginalcynic

Three stars is definitely right. It's worth watching once, it's over long and it becomes tiresome in the end. A few good jokes but they're much better animated films out there...

Post #: 42
RE: - 28/7/2011 1:00:44 AM   
theoriginalcynic

Tangled for one.  Bumping this thread up. 

(in reply to theoriginalcynic)
Post #: 43
Kim Newman needs her head examined - 31/7/2011 8:34:19 AM   
Obliqueraven

To mark this movie as a mediocre 3 star shows a remarkable lack of insight and understanding of the playfulness and humour present in Rango. maybe Kim Newman was recovering from a wretched hangover or just had a bad day but Rango will definitely stand up there with "Blazing Saddles", "Dead Man" and all the Spaghetti Westerns.
It plays on multiple levels, fun for kids with more than a few laughs for adults paying homage to all that went before.
Depp's voice characterisation steals from his performance as Hunter S Thompson in Fear and Loathing and carries all of the tongue in cheek sarcasm and wit we've come to expect from him when he's good. The cast is star studded numerous excellent performances but what makes the film stand out is that they haven't just relied on providing a visual delight with beautifully textured animation, they actually backed the film with a good script as well.
This film will win over many if you give it a chance..

Post #: 44
Rango: Review - 8/8/2011 2:51:36 AM   
Edward9630

Rango is a very good film. It has a great story, the animation is done well and Johnny Depp does an excellent performance as voicing its character in the film. The only problem i had with the film was it wasnt the best animated film ive ever seen. This film is truly enjoyable for both adults & children. I would recommend to go see this film.

Post #: 45
RE: Rango: Review - 27/8/2011 8:35:02 PM   
UTB

Loved this movie. The animation was spectacular, looks flawless on Blu Ray.

(in reply to Edward9630)
Post #: 46
RE: Rango: Review - 28/8/2011 12:40:11 AM   
thetruth

Visually sumptuous but one for the adults-too scarey for young kids.
A triumph though.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to UTB)
Post #: 47
Rango Review - 17/1/2012 9:29:44 PM   
the film man

Rango is a smart, giddily creative burst of beautifully animated entertainment, and Johnny Depp gives a colorful vocal performance as a household pet in an unfamiliar world.

Post #: 48
"I know who I am. I'm the guy, the protagonist, th... - 9/11/2013 7:05:30 PM   
movienut707

Although uncomfortably awkward in places, Rango is a beautifully animated and surprisingly well-made animation. If you didn't like this the first time around, watch it again... it just might grow on you.

< Message edited by movienut707 -- 9/11/2013 7:20:57 PM >

Post #: 49
"I know who I am. I'm the guy, the protagonist, th... - 9/11/2013 7:05:31 PM   
movienut707

Although uncomfortably awkward in places, Rango is a beautifully animated and surprisingly well-made animation. If you didn't like this the first time around, watch it again... it just might grow on you.

< Message edited by movienut707 -- 9/11/2013 7:19:03 PM >

Post #: 50
A film of three halves. - 27/7/2014 9:44:56 AM   
eclipsoverseer

Rango starts out amazing, loses it in the middle (rodents twanging the Wagner theme from Apocalypse Now while riding backwards on bats??), then recovers somewhat toward the end. I can understand why Mr. Kim Newman gave it 3 stars but overall, it deserved 4.

Post #: 51
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> wrong rating Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI