Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Rango - 3/3/2011 8:44:14 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
urr. - 3/3/2011 8:44:14 PM   
maxthom

the review and the star rating don't mix so good sailor :P still looking forward to it like fuck :P

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Ignore Empire Rating! This is brilliant!!! - 4/3/2011 1:00:23 AM  1 votes
waqas5050

This is a surreal masterpiece that had me grinning throughout. A movie made for the cinephiles like us with perfectly pitched homages to the Leone spaghetti westerns and Chinatown to name a few. A cult classic masquerading as a kids animated film. Truly the best cinema experience I had this year so imagine my surprise when I logged here and saw a 3 star review? 3 star?! The same as Gnomeo and Juliet?? This is a film that Empire should be rightly championing rather than over rated fluff like Scott Pilgrim. Alas this finally proves that Empire has sold its soul to the corporate Devil (which has been obvious for a few years but this confirms it). I seriously hope they reconsider and write a 4 to 5 star review for the magazine when published next month that this rich film so rightly deserves...

< Message edited by waqas5050 -- 4/3/2011 2:25:45 PM >

Post #: 3
A Result - 4/3/2011 11:14:53 AM   
thechair

Blimey! I had this down as a 'maybe' as some of these kids' cartoons are ok but this sounds brilliant from the review. I guess the lowly three stars are because it doesn't fit for children? Are they the target market here and is that a misfire? Who cares, I think, is the answer; it sounds damn good.

Post #: 4
RE: A Result - 4/3/2011 12:33:02 PM   
mystra

can't wait to see this now!

So why such a glowing review and only 3 stars though? Seems like it's because its animated film that might freak the kids out? Lol i'm pretty such most kids love to be freaked out by the weird and wonderful, it's just the adults that seem to think other wise... and who says all animated films that aren't rated 15/18 etc aren't for grown ups anyway :P

Anyway, i can't wait and i think i will love it :D hope i'm not disappointed

(in reply to thechair)
Post #: 5
- 4/3/2011 1:49:57 PM   
sagent33

wasnt expecting such a glowing report on the movie with 3 stars hanging over it.... but more interested in checking it out now.

Post #: 6
- 4/3/2011 5:02:23 PM   
umer_ejaz

There isn't one critical thing that Mr.Newman has said about Rango, yet he's put it down as three stars? :S. Doesn't make sense. The movie is sheer brilliance, the animation is up there with the likes of Pixar, Dreamwork's How to Train Your Dragon.

Highly Recommended

Post #: 7
I disagree, therefore you are wrong Mr Newman. - 4/3/2011 5:07:17 PM   
crazymoviesdude

Ignore the respected professional critic's opinion which is obviously invalid due to him not agreeing with my assessment of the film based on the trailer. This is clearly a 5 star film based on the 40 seconds I've seen.

< Message edited by crazymoviesdude -- 4/3/2011 5:08:12 PM >

Post #: 8
RE: I disagree, therefore you are wrong Mr Newman. - 4/3/2011 9:59:29 PM   
Paul2j

This was a bit too weird for it's own good to be honest. Wouldn't say higher than a 6/10 - it was watchable, but really didn't have enough to it.

(in reply to crazymoviesdude)
Post #: 9
Surreal Genius - 5/3/2011 2:28:23 PM   
MOnkeyboy1138

Watched it yesterday, loved every surreal second of it. Sure it is a vanity project and it will never be a main stream hit, though as pure cult it is unsurpassed. Great homage filled story line, great voice cast, nice score and songs. In terms of visuals with ILM producing there first complete animated movie, I'd say that the folks at Pixar (who have never put a foot wrong in my books) will have to start upping there game. In short Rango is a surreal, cult genius.

Post #: 10
RE: Rango - 5/3/2011 7:04:38 PM   
R W

Director: Gore Verbinski
Screenwriter: John Logan
Starring: Johnny Depp, Isla Fisher, Abigail Breslin, Ned Beatty, Bill Nighy, Alfred Molina, Timothy Olyphant

Synopsis
When an ordinary chameleon (Depp) accidently winds up in the lawless town of Dirt, he becomes their new sheriff and hopes to be a hero to the desperate townsfolk.

Review
Letís face it, the career of director Gore Verbinski hasnít been an entirely great one, in the criticsí point of view. Following his useless remake of Ringu, he made the trilogy based entirely on a theme park ride. Even though it is a very flawed franchise despite the box-office success, Pirates of the Caribbean did feature a great performance from Johnny Depp as Jack Sparrow, who we will see again in Pirates 4 (insert yawn).

Fortunately, Verbinski choose not to return that franchise but again collaborating with Johnny Depp as the director has made his animated debut. For those who have seen the minute-long teaser of Rango, eyebrows certainly raised up as all it featured was an orange toy fish moving sideways.

Rango in many ways is a strange one, because while it is being advertised as a childrenís film with its often slapstick humour, it is playing around with complex adult themes of mysticism and the search of identity, but played in a way that is not too challenging for the kids. Story-wise, the town of Dirt is on the brink losing of water which is clearly a nod to Roman Polanskiís Chinatown, as well as a desert tortoise as mayor voiced by Ned Beatty doing an impersonation of John Huston.

As well as slapstick, the comedy is born out of the dialogue which is very witty as if you know anything about the screenwriter John Logan, he has a great focus on characterisation. As well as having a sense of humour, the characters that are essentially anthropomorphic animals are fully fleshed-out beings.

As the town of Dirt and its inhabitants are clearly influenced by the Wild West, the film has many references to the western genre from Sam Peckinpah, Sergio Leone and most definitely Clint Eastwood in one standout sequence. I suspect a lot of these gags will only be hilarious for adults, but the kids (and their parents) will get a good kick out of the filmís terrific slapstick moments.

For Verbinskiís animated debut, the director hires ILM to create this CGI world, which is a beautifully photo-realised depiction of the Mojave Desert from the largeness of the canyons to tiny cracks of the ground. The character designs are extraordinary as Verbinski and ILM turn various animals into classic Old Western characters. To top everything, you can see it in glorious 2D.

In order to get the feel of the Old West, the actors were given costumes and sets for the voice recording, which is called emotion capture. Johnny Deppís performance as the titular character is a scene-stealing one as not only is he laugh-out-loud funny, but is the heart of the story as he goes on an emotional journey. The other actors have their moments to shine, particularly Isla Fisher as the sharp-tongued love interest and Bill Nighy as a truly villainous rattlesnake.

Verdict
Following their time on Pirates, the Depp/Verbinski collaboration goes into greater territory as Rango is riotously funny and clever in its references. Whether itís a kidís film or not is a debate, but this is a glorious animated adventure that is not in 3D.     

Post #: 11
RE: I disagree, therefore you are wrong Mr Newman. - 5/3/2011 7:41:08 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: crazymoviesdude

Ignore the respected professional critic's opinion which is obviously invalid due to him not agreeing with my assessment of the film based on the trailer. This is clearly a 5 star film based on the 40 seconds I've seen.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to crazymoviesdude)
Post #: 12
RE: I disagree, therefore you are wrong Mr Newman. - 5/3/2011 11:17:04 PM   
crazymoviesdude

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: crazymoviesdude

That's all the recognition I need.

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 13
Why is this movie being ignored on Empire? - 7/3/2011 12:29:54 PM   
waqas5050

It is not showing on films released this week. It is not mentioned in the latest mag (not even at the end of the review pages saying when it will be reviewed online).Did Verbinski or Depp say or do something that was not pleasing to Empire? As I said earlier, this is a surreal masterpiece for fans of films and should be championed by the likes of Empire and not ignored!

Post #: 14
Why is this movie being ignored on Empire? - 7/3/2011 12:46:34 PM   
waqas5050

It is not showing on films released this week. It is not mentioned in the latest mag (not even at the end of the review pages saying when it will be reviewed online).Did Verbinski or Depp say or do something that was not pleasing to Empire? As I said earlier, this is a surreal masterpiece for fans of films and should be championed by the likes of Empire and not ignored!

Post #: 15
Great movie - 7/3/2011 1:21:08 PM   
spideed2

Double post sorry

< Message edited by spideed2 -- 8/3/2011 8:57:05 AM >

Post #: 16
Great movie - 7/3/2011 1:21:10 PM   
spideed2

File under 'bit wierd for kids' like the brilliant Fantastic Mr Fox though.

< Message edited by spideed2 -- 8/3/2011 8:56:27 AM >

Post #: 17
Why is this movie being ignored on Empire? - 7/3/2011 2:14:24 PM   
waqas5050

Post #: 18
RE: Why is this movie being ignored on Empire? - 7/3/2011 8:54:33 PM   
skeletonjack

Brilliant film, the Fantastic Mr Fox comparison is spot on. Kids might get it, they might not, but it worked on every level for me. Can't go without mentioning the animation either which is simply gorgeous. A high end 4 stars.

(in reply to waqas5050)
Post #: 19
- 7/3/2011 11:00:12 PM   
TheGodfather

Rango
The first fully animated film from ILM might not be all that original story- and character wise but it has turned out to be a real enjoyable film. I thought there was a lot of humor in it and that the characters were fun. The references to other films was great as well.
If you want to see an emotional deep film with well worked characters than this isn`t the one you`d wanna check out. What you do get is an entertaining evening with an enjoyable animation film, that by the way isn`t too suitable for the smallest film fans.

7,3/10

Post #: 20
RE: Rango. - 8/3/2011 2:02:31 PM   
Cruisecontroller

Brilliant animation, script, story and cast about a Chameleon who gets seperated by his owners when he falls out the car in a driving accident and ends up in the desert in a town called dirt with lots of the local wildlife living Wild West style. He has to help them find more water. Loved this from start to finish especially those singing owls with Mexican hats they cracked me up. and the bat attack (homage to Apocalypse Now) I think older kids and Western fans will get the most out of this as some of it may go over their heads. Brilliant. 5/5

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to TheGodfather)
Post #: 21
RE: Rango. - 8/3/2011 7:36:39 PM   
Sway

I loved this.  It's just so..... quirky.   That's not a word I like to use often, but it seems so apt for this film.  All the characters were kind of grotesque looking - Rango himself is the closest you'd get to a 'cute' animated character.  I loved that the characters were mostly gnarly looking, and there's a distinct lack of sentimentality that is usually laid on thick in other similar animated films, and the humour is brilliant.  Some of it is obvious, some of it is dry, but I was just taken by surprise by the whole film.  It felt really original and different. And the animation is incredible.  I remember reading about the painstaking detail that went into making Sully from Monster's Inc look realistic with his fur, but this takes it to a new level.

Also there were a few sly nods to other films that don't appear to be too much of your typical gratuitous pop culture reference - as Cruisecontroller pointed out theres a 'Apocalypse Now' nod, but there's also a tip of the hat to 'Fear and Loathing...', not to mention a cheeky wink at the man with no name from the dollars trilogy...

I just loved the weirdness of this film.   And as somebody else said, it's perhaps a little too off the wall for kids.   We had a kid sitting a few rows in front of us in our showing and she seemed pretty enthralled by it, but I'm not sure she would have understood much of it at all.  I don't think this would go down well with a lot of kids at all.

Anyway....Go! Go see it now!

Edit:  I've just read Empire's review now and have to admit I'm pretty shocked they only gave the film 3 stars.  The review acknowledges the astonishing animation and the originality of it all, but seems reluctant to commit to anything more than a neutral 3 stars because the film's bit of an odd ball.   I'd say the review under sells it somewhat.

< Message edited by Sway -- 8/3/2011 11:38:13 PM >

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 22
RE: Rango. - 9/3/2011 9:32:53 AM   
Wild about Wilder

There was some weird shit going on in this film but I like that, it was interesting to see Roger Deakins involved in it, i'd definetly be carefull about what age to take children to see this as if there squimish then that's a big fat NO!
an enjoyable (8/10).

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 23
Sure to be an overlooked classic - 9/3/2011 4:56:52 PM   
Hoojah41

Went to the cinema feeling a little aprehensive, came out with a new (almost) favourite film! Definitely not one for the kids, but the constant homage, excellent character design, laugh out loud humour and pure anti-disney quirkiness make this a true modern cult classic. Kudos Mr Depp and Mr Verbinski!

Post #: 24
- 10/3/2011 1:30:29 PM   
BrooksyTHX1138

What The Hell Empire? This Film Is Marvelous, Plot is Predictable, But The Quirkiness Managed To Overcome That. Deserves at the Very Least, a 4 Star Review

Post #: 25
RE: Rango. - 11/3/2011 1:52:53 AM   
snooochies

Deakins has done this a few times - he worked on Wall-E and How to Train your Dragon - all great films. Empire got the rating wrong - willl be watching this film many times in the future

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 26
RE: Rango. - 11/3/2011 10:03:38 AM   
Timon

I personally think it is one of the best films of the year so far with the Bat-chasing-wagon sequence one of the standout actions scenes of the last 12 months.

4.5/5

< Message edited by Timon -- 11/3/2011 10:04:38 AM >

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to snooochies)
Post #: 27
RE: Rango. - 12/3/2011 10:49:47 AM   
Wild about Wilder

I saw something on the TV showing how the actors were rather than being in little cubicles reading their lines were walking around together acting the script out which makes me wonder if this is why it felt so fresh ?

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 28
rango review - 16/3/2011 6:49:16 PM   
bubbagump9

i went into the cinema expecting a mildly entertaining, 3-star children's film. emphasis on the word 'children's'. the themes in this movie are far more serious and less child-friendly than the likes of Gnomeo and Juilet or Tangled. also emphasis on the 3-star, this film deserves 2 more. the animation is amazing, making this film great to look at. the story is a bit weak at points and can be a bit confusing in parts but holds up for most of the film. the characters are extremely strange-looking, but very likable, especially the title star. the voice acting is great, depp proves he is great as a voice star as well as an actor. the canyon chase is the stand-out scene, it might be the greatest action sequence of the year so far. this film is an joy. i would defiantly reccommend 5/5

last 5 films seen:
v for vendetta 4/5
battle La 4/5
rango 5/5
tangled 4/5
back to the future part 3 4/5

< Message edited by bubbagump9 -- 16/3/2011 7:51:00 PM >

Post #: 29
RE: rango review - 16/3/2011 9:16:16 PM   
Dr Lenera

Many animated films these days try to equally appeal to kids and adults alike, Rango comes with the impression that itís more for adults than for kids, which makes the kiddie orientated trailers very misleading.  Well, this adult certainly didnít find it much more adult than normal Ėsure, The obligatory film references cast their net wider than usual, from Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas to Chinatown, thereís a bit of pretentious existentialism stuff [the sort of thing that was done better in Antz and many other animated films] and thereís some mild swearing, but the humour is no more sophisticated than normal  [thespians sounds like lesbians-wow, how clever!] and is mostly the usual slapstick. More importantly, itís just not that entertaining. For about twenty minutes, things are really fun and funny, but as soon as our chameleon hero arrives at the town in the film it all goes downhill. Gags are constantly thrown at you but rarely seem to work, and the film is mostly content to parody the same old Western cliches that a hundred previous films have done and better. The design is very impressive and the idea of mostly ugly animals is interesting [though has obviously helped to turn off many kids], while thereís a great atmospheric scene around three quarters of the way through involving Tommy Oliphaunt doing a great Clint Eastwood impression. The Star Wars like climax is very good too.  Mostly though, despite the obvious hard work put into it,Rango falls a little flat, even for someone like me who is very partial to animated movies, and seems to me to be only patchily enjoyable for kids and for adults.
5.5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to bubbagump9)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Rango Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI