Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Warners Wants Blade Runner Sequels

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Warners Wants Blade Runner Sequels Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Warners Wants Blade Runner Sequels - 3/3/2011 5:11:40 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Alien vs Blade Runner? - 3/3/2011 7:14:01 AM   
Tech_Noir

Or maybe...

Terminator vs Blade Runner?

Arnie can do a tears in the rain speech.

Post #: 2
RE: - 3/3/2011 8:29:42 AM   
jobloffski

The purist in me says no.

But the fanboy in me says fuck, yeah.

Bring it on, suits, but listen to me (or anybody who might say similar things) when I say

1) The target audience for any sequels should be people who love Blade Runner for what it IS, and that is slow, contemplative, not really meant for impressing 'the kids' and there is no real room for a kick ass hero type at the forefront of any story that would either reflect Phillip K Dick's themes/obsessions or honour the film with the rep upon which any sequel/prequel/expansion would lean upon for funding/publicity/etc .

DON'T try to 'update' the pacing/mood of the film for the modern audience because all the reasons there is ANY potential for renewed exploitation of the 'property' is because of the rep the film earned over time.

2) A mere re-run of events would be a waste of time.

3) Don't involve Ford or Young in the casting for 'continuity' reasons in a cameo fashion. Don't involve them at all unless any sequel is about how the world they are a part of has gotten even more harsh for humanity than in BR and the angle is gonna be something like 'we still don't get anyone saying outright 'Deckard is a replicant' but we know Rachel is, she apparently has no 'expiry date' like other replicants with a general themse of something like 'who;d even want to be human considering how badly we treat each other, when resources are becoming ever more scarce.

But such an idea would involve some hokey plot either showing them evading capture by 'runners' sent after them or Deckard somehow being expected to resume old duties. Both would be in all probability, bullshit on a story level so

4) Don't include Deckard at all. Maybe as a reference point for a new 'I'm becoming jaded' runner type who has been 'propogandised' with the idea that if you feel/act like the rogue runner Deckard it means you have gone insane, because you have confused the reality (replicants are vermin) with the fantasy (all life is precious).

Mind control through implying if you feel (a key aspect of humanity), it means you must be insane, and you must not talk about such things with others for fear of spreading your disease to others, and becoming isolated emotionally would kinda mesh with a lot of what Dick had to say and if a truly adult film explored that through implication more than outright depiction, in a film scenario where the things we create are ours to destroy, and unless people have the money to be good consumers, their feelings/needs don't rate any higher than the servants we create, then there might be good artistic, even 'moral' reasons to go back to the Blade Runner scenario

5) An interesting angle might be to flip the scenario on it;s head, and have Replicants dominant, having more and more followed the lead (or natural inclination to be more 'free') of Batty but as with humans, ended up concluding the fastest route to self preservation is to destroy that which is different. We become that which we fear/hate when we allow our response to what we fear/hate to be guided solely by our fear/hate (which has a timeless resonance as a theme for the human race)

Thereby making the film an exploration of the dark side of human nature, by showing Replicants being exactly as we are, as a species, and in this case, the replicants hunt down the remaining humans and (find an equvialent to 'retire') them. But, just as implied in Blade Runner, it;s not always easy to tell replicant from human, and it;s all too plausible for a Replicant blade runner type to shoot one of his own by mistake.

Given the Replicants can surivive harsher conditions than humans, it makes some logical sense that they would re-colonise an Earth that decades down the line would be even more ravaged, leaving only the hardiest of humans left clinging to survival, and for the purposes of a replicant society, being 'the monsters who made us suffer'.

Essentially it could be good sci-fi, with traditional (and harshly presented) explorations of facets of human nature. It could be bloodthirsty enough to satisfy the requirements of such a story, it could be bangin' enough visually to justify it's making as an example of 'cinematic art' and it could exist without taking a gargantuan dump on the rep of the first film for quick bucks.

In other words, the three decades of rep gained for the original treating the audience like they can handle intelligent, ambivalently atmospheric filmmaking could result in a film still being a massive hit, no matter how many demands it makes on the viewer, because there is such a massive potential audience that know the original inside out that it could be made for that audience alone.

And if that is not gonna be the approach, then do not approach it at all.

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.
Post #: 3
RE: Franchise? - 3/3/2011 9:42:54 AM   
hatebox

Fuck you Hollywood. Fuck you and your utter deficit of original ideas.

That said, if it has to happen I beg you to leave the character of Deckard alone. Explore the rest of the film's universe and totally different characters from the first film.
Post #: 4
RE: RE: - 3/3/2011 9:45:14 AM   
hatebox

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

1) The target audience for any sequels should be people who love Blade Runner for what it IS, and that is slow, contemplative, not really meant for impressing 'the kids' and there is no real room for a kick ass hero type at the forefront of any story that would either reflect Phillip K Dick's themes/obsessions or honour the film with the rep upon which any sequel/prequel/expansion would lean upon for funding/publicity/etc .

(laughs) Yeah, I'm sure they'll go down that route that made the first film a box office bomb. They're aiming for a franchise here, and franchises ain't slow and meditative.

This is precisely what worries me.

(in reply to jobloffski)
Post #: 5
RE: RE: - 3/3/2011 10:15:43 AM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: hatebox

quote:

ORIGINAL: jobloffski

(laughs) Yeah, I'm sure they'll go down that route that made the first film a box office bomb. They're aiming for a franchise here, and franchises ain't slow and meditative.

This is precisely what worries me.

Yeah, but obviously I was suggesting the film should follow the route that earned it the love and respect it has, which the audience weren't ready for when it came out, but then became the benchmark so many have subesquently aimed for. Thirty years of people discovering, rediscovering, and practically deifying a film makes a sequel that is true to its spirit a much more tasty proposition to today's money men (if any pitchers have the sense to pitch it that way, and them the film subsequently gets promoted that way) than the original film.

And this is what would make it a bigger hit than the original, guaranteed: ANY film with a certain level of promotion attracts certain mainstream viewers who may go to a film not even really knowing what it's about, if they're intrigued enough by the promos. Lovers of an original film (even those assuming a sequel will be a betrayal) will go. And the biggest event movies bring in people who never usually go to the cinema, plus there are many (lets call them cocks) who wouldn't even piss on a mainstream cinema if it was on fire because 'all hollywood is shit', but will have eulogised for years about why Blade Runner is an exception to the rule who will go along either to be impressed or to have their prejudices confirmed.

A blade runner sequel has so much going for it as a potential box office behemoth in the way the original never did. And given that Inception managed to be such a hit for Warner brothers after TDK was such a hit for Warner Brothers, you never know, the studio MIGHT actually have warmed to the idea of at least one massive creative risk each year, because that alone would imply Warner Brother have bigger balls than all the other studios put together. So if there is ever going to be a right time to hope a studio might allow a film to be what it should be and not compromise the story in in order to impress the kids, it's right now.

The dark side of human nature and heroes who are suffering are worth big bucks right now, Warner Brothers have made shiloads of money out of such films, they have another Bat Behemoth to come yet and they need something identifiably Warner Brothers to replace the Harry Potter sized hole in their schedule for the next few years (and let's not forget the kids growing up watching/reading Potter have been almost BRED to expect a hero to be made to suffer almost intolerably, so there may well be a potential entire generation of cinema goers who will not only be able to 'take' darkness in a story, they may well feel cheated if they don't get it).

Warner may feel they have a whole new seam if money to mine via the edginess they've allowed in their recent blockbusters, and that's the real bottom line for the studio, since they wouldnt be making a sequel to a film that tanked then sank without trace, they'd be making a sequel to film that was misunderstood then subsequently embraced in a way that was unprecendented and yet to be seen again.

Damn, the money men would cream if they heard people talk like this, and the key to success is never the film anyway, its the marketing, and there's no way that budget would be skimped on.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 3/3/2011 10:20:00 AM >

Yes, dreamers dream and doers do. But if dreamers DON'T dream, doers don't have anything TO do. Everything that is only here because people exist, only exists because someone thought of it., or in other words, dreamed it.

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 6
RE: 'Multi platform concepts'? - 3/3/2011 10:23:19 AM   
BelfastBoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: brokenking

That means I have to buy a bloody comic to get the full picture doesn't it?

Didn't work for the Matrix sequels, sure as hell didn't work for Southland Tales. Films should be self-contained and not require extra backstory elements in comic books, sorry 'graphic novels', or Animatrix-style spinoffs in order to make sense.

Also, Ridley Scott isn't infallible. On the assumption that he'd even be interested in returning to the Blade Runner universe, there's no guarantee that his involvement would result in a great end product. The poor guy doesn't even seem able to make up his mind about which version of the original film is definitive. The film in its many cuts is magnificent, but the production was a complete disaster, and Scott's personality and approach contributed greatly to this. As for Harrison Ford, he seemed to have a miserable time making Blade Runner and it's hard to even tease vaguely positive comments from him about the experience. I can't believe he'd even contemplate reprising Deckard in any shape or form. As for Sean Young, where is she now, still working or what?

One other, more serious point. Blade Runner flopped on release, but has obviously become a critical / cineaste favourite retrospectively (and rightly so). But does critical acclaim translate to mass appeal in the 21st century? I'm not so sure there's a market for a Blade Runner franchise.
Post #: 7
RE: gdykjgyjkfhjhyf - 3/3/2011 12:39:38 PM   
Beno

Begone foul peddlers of nonsense goods.

As for the Blade Runner story ....... a thing of beauty should be left to be beautifull.

In other words ........ LEAVE IT.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"
Post #: 8
RE: Oh no - 3/3/2011 3:13:42 PM   
betamax

Not really in favour of them expanding the franchise seeing as how it is extremely unlikely they will do the original justice, but there is precedent. There are a bunch of sequels to Blade Runner in book form, and even a computer game that told a different story. No idea if they would actually use any of the material (and I've only read one of the books, ages ago myself) but it is there.

What would people think if they got Duncan Jones to direct one?

Alice came to a fork in the road. "Which road do I take?" she asked.
"Where do you want to go?" responded the Cheshire cat.
"I don't know," Alice answered.
"Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."
Post #: 9
RE: Meh - 3/3/2011 3:30:39 PM   
remake_hater

have the star wars and terminator prequels taught us nothing?.......never go back! yes youll make a wad of cash but the FANS will truely hate you for it!.......just proves that the movies are no longer about story telling and are 100% about profilt!..........I could name a dozen books screaming out to be made into movies which would tell a story and make profit!
Post #: 10
RE: DisAster - 4/3/2011 2:51:03 PM   
pete_traynor

If you must, you probably shouldn’t… but if you must:

1) Neill Blomkamp
2) Carl Rinsch
3) Duncan Jones

Could be a rather tantalising prospect in the hands of any of these directors.

While I like Blade Runner a lot I don’t quite hold it in untouchable masterpiece esteem. For my money Alien is Scott’s true masterpiece… and look what happened when they made a sequel to that! It’s a long shot for sure but in the right hands this could just work…

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 4/3/2011 2:52:29 PM >

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/
Post #: 11
RE - 4/3/2011 9:10:57 PM   
mr_chainsaw

Am I the only person who is happy about this? As much as I love Blade Runner I prefer the series of books to the film.  This means I've already known there are sequels to Blade Runner, they just haven't been filmed.  To those saying "don't have Deckard in it!" given that Deckard is featured in the second book, I would be more concerned if they got someone to write a new story that didn't feature any of the characters from the sequel.  Just like with Blade Runner, if they use the source material well, they could get some damn good films out of it.  Remember, while Blade Runner is a great film, it is just a part of a brilliant series.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 12
RE: DisAster - 4/3/2011 9:14:19 PM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

If you must, you probably shouldn’t… but if you must:

1) Neill Blomkamp
2) Carl Rinsch
3) Duncan Jones

Have these two become the default elite sci-fi filmmakers these days?

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 13
RE: DisAster - 4/3/2011 9:19:16 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

If you must, you probably shouldn't… but if you must:

1) Neill Blomkamp
2) Carl Rinsch
3) Duncan Jones

Have these two become the default elite sci-fi filmmakers these days?

Yes.

And also - if you want to see what a sequel to BR would look like - check out the tv series Total Recall 2070. It pretty much IS  a BR sequel.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 14
RE: DisAster - 4/3/2011 9:24:18 PM   
Tech_Noir

I think people think far too much of these two filmmakers (based off of one sci-fi they each made - neither of whcih were life changing).

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 15
RE: DisAster - 4/3/2011 9:24:52 PM   
Mr Terrific

quote:

Doesn't anyone remember Paul WS Anderson's SOLDIER? A 'Side-quel' to Blade Runner? Leave this fuckin' movie alone.

This is true. But as long it's not a sequel or prequel. It should be ok.

..."lost like tears in the rain....."

"He claims he is a man. And one of the things about being a man is getting knocked on your ass and learning from it."

http://www.dccomics.com/heroes_and_villains/?hv=origin_stories/mr_terrific

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 16
RE: DisAster - 4/3/2011 11:31:14 PM   
jobloffski

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

I think people think far too much of these two filmmakers (based off of one sci-fi they each made - neither of whcih were life changing).

On the other hand, both of them were very focused on what is, and what is not, good about humanity, both had protagonists going through an 'internal process' by which they wondered about who and what they were, in relation to the job the were doing. NB made a film with a main character conditioned to see those he was evicting as lesser beings, and to feel no pity for their fate (later he was to be more like them and therefore experienced empathy with them and that is certainly part of the 'emotional landscape' of BR). And DJ made a film that very much depicted a loner, in many scenes by himself, having to carry a lot of the emotion of the movie by not doing much, just feeling the emotions of his situation/predicament/isolation of his life.

So, in those terms, they may not have made films to change the movie landscape, but they've both made films that belong very squarely in the same thematic ball[ark as BR, and made good films that depended more on their characters/characterisation than their budgets and therefore would be potential safe hands for a BR related movie and making it both competent in sci-fi terms, and in contemplative art-film terms.

I would strongly advise anyone considering sequels to BR to avoid the novels that are sequels to BR because they are kind of hybrid sequels that incorporate both the 'electric sheep' world and that of the film. They also reference the existence of the film and comment on the differences between Deckard's 'reality' and the movie made of his experiences. All pretty 'trippy' in a Dick
way, but not good film material. And there would have to be somebody else playing Deckard, which should really be avoided whatever kind of film is made, unless there is going to be a definitve statement that yes, deckard is a replicant and, say, when they need a Deckard (because the previous one reached his 'time to die' buggered off, or got killed) they just upload the 'Deckard Memories' into a new replicant and his existence basically begins with him going for noodles and then being asked to go back to being a blade runner (even though he;s never been one before, it;s just implanted memories).

Then, with the Deckard model up and running, whoever wants him to do whatever can send him on his mission, and whichever of Dicks themes are appropriate to the story can then be explored. With us knowing he's a replicant (which he may find out about sooner or later (later, if they want a trilogy)) and with an in-story reason for there being somebody else playing 'Rick Deckard' and having the same personal characteristics, etc.

Naturally, there's every chance of any BR related film being balls, but it's isn't totally inconceivable that recent trends for blockbusters to be allowed to be very dark and moody might make it possible for it not to be balls. And to clarify, I'm in no way stating outright the above would be my preferred seed for a film to be sprung from, but it;s a storytelling compromise I'd be willling to swallow, for the sake of a decent director being allowed to really work a moody piece of cinema around it.

If it pays off, cool. If it don't, who really cares, cos it can't erase the impact or the quality of the original, any more than the Jaws sequels did in that case (though obviously, I would want the BR film(s) to be better than those, and I have some confidence that given the time lapse between the original and any new film, there would be some effort to not fuck it up, because it isn't a case of rushing out a sequel to a successful movie a few years later, it;s a case of launching a project, on purpose, to follow a film regarded as among the best ever made, with 30 years of legendary status to live up to, with full knowledge of how much hatred everybody involved will encounter if they drop the ball).

An actor with a suitably world weary look is required, and I'll start the bidding at...Josh Hartnett.

< Message edited by jobloffski -- 9/3/2011 6:56:26 PM >

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 17
http://www.clothingsell.org - 9/3/2011 3:51:27 PM   
llppjk

Hello. My friends,
welcome to visit our website.you can try.
will make you satisfied.Thank you!
== http://www.clothingsell.org ==

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Warners Wants Blade Runner Sequels Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI