Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
I Am Number Four - 24/2/2011 4:06:17 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
It gets better toward the second half - 24/2/2011 9:22:02 PM   
Bighousewill

just about scrapes in at three starts its a passable and entertaining film nice cgi monsters and it gets more action packed in the second half but the main alien dudes look shiiite. But seriously I might watch the sequels if there are any.

< Message edited by Bighousewill -- 26/2/2011 2:34:47 PM >

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 25/2/2011 8:06:49 PM   
goslingn

this is absolutely terrible. i watched it at a free preview showing, so at least i didn't pay any money for it. The audience were laughing whenever the bad aliens came on screen and during the romance scenes. This is for 10 year old girls only.

Post #: 3
What the ?!? - 27/2/2011 7:52:38 AM   
The kUrGaN

Bland, boring, dull, cliched. Like they had an idea for some awful new sci fi series on the Sci Fi channel and then thought they'd try and make it into a feature film. It's an insult to 10 year old girls, so anyone reckoning this is a good piece of sci fi that should hopefully lead to a quality film series....move right along. If you must see it take your seat 30 minutes from the end when the ridiculous action starts. Please...no more of this !!!!

Post #: 4
Well I liked it... - 27/2/2011 6:43:22 PM   
BethN21286

I will confess to a blanket ban on twilight in my house and was expecting similar level on the angst-o-meter but was pleasantly surprised by this one and pretty much totally agree with Olly, Alex Pettyfer is okay, Dianna Agron is the most level headed damsel in distress in a tween movie i've seen in ages and six (always the best number) steals the show with the kick-assery at the end. Kevin Durand is at his normal level of head-twitchy ridiculous but i'd take possible sequels for this over the travesty that is Harry Potter any day.

Post #: 5
Throughly Entertaining. - 28/2/2011 3:26:55 PM   
nerd1986

I mostly agree with Olly Richards. A little generic, but having read the novel, there could have been an lot more. I for one enjoyed both the book and the film. The only problem being a lack of explanation as to the why. Younger audiences won't mind this, but many older viewers will find this frustrating. Thankfully having read the excellent book on which it is based the questions raised have answers. A superior film to Twilight, but main fear is that not enough people will appreciate the film for what it is, and a series that it potentially will start.

Post #: 6
Mixture. - 12/3/2011 11:00:14 PM   
ashleyrhys

When I saw the description of “Twilight with aliens” it was safe to say all semi-interest from the trailer was quickly crushed with the ideal of more annoying teen fandom, making even more philistines. After much debate and rejection of my Battle: Los Angeles suggestion, we decided to go see this. Walking into one of the smaller screens with the ring of pre-pubescent giggling and the odd terrible joke which quipped from their witty mouths safely affirmed my previous teen - probably more tween - judgement.

Plot: John is an extraordinary teen, masking his true identity and passing as a typical high school student to elude a deadly enemy seeking to destroy him. Three like him have already been killed … he is Number Four.

I still forced myself to keep an open mind on this film though. I know that certifications mean nothing but I’m a fan of nothing being censored. I’m not saying there needs to be swearing and a lot of bloody and gory violence but it helps with a realism attribute if you block out blood which is inevitable in an action film. I know you shouldn’t accept realism from sci-fi but it still helps.

It’s based on a book by Pittacus Lore - which is a pseudonym for James Frey and Jobie Hughes who collaborated to create this book and made a special name for it, clever. The story is about an alien who looks like a human who’s just trying to fit in. He’s going through that awkward adolescence stage too so he has a profusion of problems with the added strain of being an extra-terrestrial. He is one of nine survivors from his planet and John, played by Alex Pettyfer who played Alex Ryder, is number four. They have to be killed in order, presumably, and are being pursued by the Mogadorians. These are the special children of their planet who have a responsibility to rebuild their society - which raises questions of potential inbreeding. I’m guessing they are the protectors and have to defeat what de

Post #: 7
RE: Mixture. - 3/4/2011 6:29:35 PM   
princessa

Agree with the review but i would give it 2 stars only.  The problem with I Am Number Four is that a large portion of it is a generic love story.  Alex falls for a social outcast; he himself is a social outcast; he befriends a social outcast.

Meanwhile Oliver Olyphant? his protector goes around investigating the disappearance of someone.

After a promising the large portion of the film drags and is boring.  It only really picks up in the last 40 minutes. 

If this movie had more action sequences then i would have enjoyed it; but don't be fooled by the trailer there sadly isn't that much action.

The actress playing number 6 is great and Alex isn't too bad.  However Dianna Agron is lightweight and is an awful actress.

(in reply to ashleyrhys)
Post #: 8
RE: Mixture. - 13/4/2011 11:46:21 AM   
paulyboy

It's a shame this didn't do better, aside from some rather schmaltzy dialogue in one or two places it's quite an entertaining little flick. The characters are likeable and it's slickly directed with the last half hour in particular being incredibly fun thanks to some fairly engaging action sequences.

Recommended.

3.5/5

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

(in reply to princessa)
Post #: 9
Pretty good - 23/6/2011 3:49:29 PM   
Caster

The first ten minutes are clunky as hell with tons of lazy voice-over backstory but slowly things improve when John meets blondie. But its the laat act that really turns things around and actually makes you hope for a sequel. A guilty pleasure.

Post #: 10
I Am Number Four: Review - 8/8/2011 2:32:30 AM   
Edward9630

I Am Number Four is an alright film. It had cool scenes and the story can be interesting at parts but the film didnt amazed me. some scenes reminded me of Twilight and I hate Twilight so I didnt like that. I would recommend this film to be a rental

Post #: 11
RE: I Am Number Four: Review - 2/1/2012 5:51:28 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

This was actually way better than I thought it would be - no where near as lame as the Twilight movies with some super action and cool baddie aliens. For some reason it kind of reminded me of 80s sci fi for some reason? Maybe it was the weapons used or something I can't quite put my finger on it.

I wouldn't mind seeing a sequel to this personally to see how the story pans out and what the other members of his crew are like.

(in reply to Edward9630)
Post #: 12
RE: I Am Number Four: Review - 2/1/2012 5:56:24 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

loved it, the action in the last third is fantastic

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 13
RE: I Am Number Four: Review - 2/1/2012 6:15:31 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Yeah when it kicks off it's really cool, it does drag a bit while they try to shoe-horn in a love story and he's discovering his powers but when the girl alien arrives the action goes up a level because she's got some nice moves.

Apparently it did pretty poorly at the box office so the sequel is unlikely though.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 14
- 28/3/2012 3:49:34 PM   
dragonrider2015

very interesting for i liked the movie I AM NUMBER FOUR

Post #: 15
I Am Number Four - 8/10/2012 3:21:51 AM   
norgizfox

Perhaps it can work as a guy's alternate to Twilight, but I Am Number Four is too cheesy and campy to be entertaining, nor can the acting and romance be interesting or realistic enough to be suspenseful. And are we really supposed to believe that those actors are 16?

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> I Am Number Four Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI