Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Dead Island Trailer

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Dead Island Trailer Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 21/9/2011 1:27:22 PM   
jinks

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dark Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

How long would people say this takes to finish? I'll be trading this for Gears 3 at the end of the week and want to finish it ASAP. Just got to the town section.

IGN said in their review that it was around 20-25 hours for a single playthrough. Cannot comment on the accuracy as I am still in the resort and only about 13% complete.

I've clocked around 14 hours play and im still only on chapter 6 and about halfway through that too. Its the side quests and the continuous events that are the time killers, trying to locate champagne and water for diamonds and cash (why doesnt she just drink the energy drinks in the hut rather than me risking life and limb for Evian??!!!) and the odd little ones here and there.

The city area itself is a hell of a lot harder than the resort and the zombies have gone from being a minor annoyance which could be avoided to actually a major threat that has to be dealt with.

Downside is ive not been able to bag a game online on the PS3

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 121
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 22/9/2011 5:41:01 PM   
Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: jinks

quote:

quote:

How long would people say this takes to finish? I'll be trading this for Gears 3 at the end of the week and want to finish it ASAP. Just got to the town section.

IGN said in their review that it was around 20-25 hours for a single playthrough. Cannot comment on the accuracy as I am still in the resort and only about 13% complete.

I've clocked around 14 hours playand im still only on chapter 6 and about halfway through that too. Its the side quests and the continuous events that are the time killers, trying to locate champagne and water for diamonds and cash (why doesnt she just drink the energy drinks in the hut rather than me risking life and limb for Evian??!!!) and the odd little ones here and there.

The city area itself is a hell of a lot harder than the resort and the zombies have gone from being a minor annoyance which couldbe avoidedto actually a major threat that has to be dealt with.

Without being patronising have you changed the settings on the main menu? It took me ages to figure it out but the default setting is LAN so unless you have a local area network set up you won't find any matches. As soon as I changed this to PSN I got online straight away.

Sorry if you tried this already but thought it might be the case.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 122
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 23/9/2011 10:37:37 AM   
jinks

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: jinks

quote:

quote:

I've clocked around 14 hours play and im still only on chapter 6 and about halfway through that too. Its the side quests and the continuous events that are the time killers, trying to locate champagne and water for diamonds and cash (why doesnt she just drink the energy drinks in the hut rather than me risking life and limb for Evian??!!!) and the odd little ones here and there.

The city area itself is a hell of a lot harder than the resort and the zombies have gone from being a minor annoyance which could be avoided to actually a major threat that has to be dealt with.

Without being patronising have you changed the settings on the main menu? It took me ages to figure it out but the default setting is LAN so unless you have a local area network set up you won't find any matches. As soon as I changed this to PSN I got online straight away.

Sorry if you tried this already but thought it might be the case.

Actually, no. I havent tried that at all!! Now you mention it....i do remember seeing it as LAN.

Cheers mate, i'll try this tonight!!

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 123
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 23/9/2011 3:52:15 PM   
Rob

No worries. You can only do it from the main menu though.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 124
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 23/9/2011 4:58:36 PM   
jinks

Nice one fella, thank you very much. I'll try it this evening then. For the life of me couldnt work out why it wouldnt find a game on the PS3

But thank you again, really appreciate the help.

(in reply to Rob)
Post #: 125
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 23/9/2011 6:11:43 PM   
juanvasquez

That's odd, as on the 360 version, it's automatically set to open play, so anyone can join in.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 126
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 23/9/2011 8:05:19 PM   
the anomaly

I dunno. I love Zombies ... and once you get out into the resort it's fun at first. But I can't feel for the characters or story in the game. When I play all I see is a bunch of quests, rather than getting lost in the world.

On one hand as I mentioned it's impressive to see from what I understand to be quite a newcomer doing this huge game. But at times it just feels unfinished. I can't help but play and see the flaws as a wasted opportunity to make a brilliant zombie game. Instead it's bland, buggy and uninspired.

The best thing's about this game are ... it's always fun to kill zombies, 4 player co-op and how that's implemented. The fact that you can jump in and out of a game and it saves that progress on to yours if your around the same place is great. I'd never bother with this on my own though as it just doesn't have the story etc to justify the length etc.

In short I'll keep playing for as long as my mates do.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 127
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 23/9/2011 8:19:17 PM   
juanvasquez

I didn't have much problem with bugs, but I found once you've done a few missions in the town, it's a case of rinse & repeat. I got fed up. And the sewers... Ugh... such a frigging chore!

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 128
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 26/9/2011 4:14:44 PM   
jinks

quote:

I didn't have much problem with bugs, but I found once you've done a few missions in the town, it's a case of rinse & repeat. I got fed up. And the sewers... Ugh... such a frigging chore!

The sewers, in my opinion, kinda slowed the game up a bit as you had to keep traversing them for the last few missions in  the city - although there is a nice little glitch come City Hall where you can diamond farm for as long as you need, plus you can easily complete a good few challenges with the mounted machine gun (after you pass certain missions!).
Im now in the jungle, where there is a shit load of gun toting punks which make life SERIOUSLY tough for you. Still enjoying the game though.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 129
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 6/10/2011 3:41:09 PM   
talpacino

A friend has asked me for assistance with some zombie slaying so I'll be picking this up tonight. I was a little bit weary after the reviews but some good word from him and from here has alleviated those fears. Also, it has zombies in it.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to jinks)
Post #: 130
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 10/10/2011 8:55:12 AM   
JIm R

Got this yesterday and made a start, given I'd heard of problems before hand in the game with lag and patchy play, to date, haven't seen or experienced anything. Think I made a bad choice in my main character in the Chinese woman, fast yes but bugger all endurance or resistence to any major conflict.

I've acquired the life guard base and making my way round the variuos players on tasks and back to the main guy again. Really enjoying it but thinking about re-starting with a male character, can anyone who chose a male character let me know what's it like, cos as I say, think I made a bad choice to begin with, tried to weigh it all up and choose speed over strength, bad idea in hindsight me thinks.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 131
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 16/10/2011 1:02:59 PM   
jermreen

Has anyones character file been corrupted ? The same thing happened to one of my freinds in the US. Once you get to the loading screen the game freezes. I was on level 47 and I got all of the Developer Mods and the load screen just freezes on me every time. I had to start the bloody game again!!! Sometimess I hate Xbox...

(in reply to keithyt1999)
Post #: 132
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 17/10/2011 11:01:45 AM   
talpacino

Mine is fine so far. I'm actually really enjoying this. Myself and a mate plan to spread this out over the next few weeks/months as we're only getting a few hours in a week together plus we know there's so many other games that are going to taking our attention away. It's not perfect but it's co-op and has zombies and it's good fun.

Currahee!

(in reply to jermreen)
Post #: 133
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 17/10/2011 1:10:47 PM   
sharkboy

I started the game on Saturday, and it took a while to come to grips with it, but now I love it.  Got into a co-op game with a couple of Level 50s who seemed to just want to help out noobs, so after getting to the lifeguard station, I got driven straight to the lighthouse and given a few level 50 weapons which I then sold for shitloads of cash, allowing me to improve my lowly Level 5 weapons to the max!  I've done a few of the quests round the station/lighthouse and tried building a few custom weapons.

Jim, I'm playing as Sam B, the rapper (as was pretty much every other person I met up with online!).  He's not a bad character to play with as he can deal out some serious melee damage.  Of course, the downside is that you have to get in close and personal and while he can take a beating, I've found that the thugs can still cause major damage at lower levels.It's a case of hit and run away with them - until you can get behind the wheel of a car, that is, then just mow the fuckers down!

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 134
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 17/10/2011 1:15:21 PM   
jcthefirst

Hmmm, all this positivity could persuade me to ask for this game for Christmas.

Is it fairly open world where you can do whatever you want (like Fallout) or can you dander about but then eventually have to go to a marker on the map (like GTA)?

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 135
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 17/10/2011 4:54:32 PM   
talpacino

I'd say it's definitely more Fallout than GTA in that respect. It is open world but there's not much else to do but batter zombies and scavenge for money and other items for making weapons or trading. You'll also find more side quests just by going rambling.

Currahee!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 136
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 13/12/2011 10:29:27 AM   
jcthefirst

Got this after Play were flogging it for 18 quid. Persuaded 3 of my mates to get it too, and so far, when the four of us are online, it is a lot of fun.

I can see how it could get repetitive though, but at the minute it's great. And I get to kick zombies to death. What's not to love?

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 137
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 12/1/2013 4:07:27 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Just got the GOTY edition from Amazon for 11.50. Enjoying it very much so far! I like the game world and it's a lot of fun to play. I think the graphics are perfectly passable too.

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to jcthefirst)
Post #: 138
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 12/1/2013 7:44:59 PM   
From_Hell

quote:

ORIGINAL: DONOVAN KURTWOOD

Just got the GOTY edition from Amazon for 11.50. Enjoying it very much so far! I like the game world and it's a lot of fun to play. I think the graphics are perfectly passable too.

How far through it are you Don?

I also started this recently, and have been really enjoying it. I'd heard horror stories that it was impossibly difficult in single player, but despite a few blips in the city, it's been quite manageable. You've just got to know when to fight and when to run, and not let yourself get mobbed. I'm in the jungle, at about 70% completion so I guess I'm near the end.

The graphics are a bit up and down. Some of the in-game graphics are very good, but the character models are rubbish, and the graphics in the cut-scenes are pretty shit.

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 139
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 13/1/2013 7:21:27 AM   
Chojin

Myself and DJS have also recently started this - I've just hit Act 3.

I'm hopelessly addicted to it at the moment, rushing home from work to jump straight onto it after eating (I need to eat!). I'm not sure if I should have enabled the levelling option at the beginning to ensure zombies level with you as this is making it a lot tougher. I'm used to becoming a powerhouse and later enemies being a walkthrough but it seems pointless to level up really as the zombies get stronger with you.

If anyone wants some co-op let me know - Chojin22000 is the gamertag.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 140
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 13/1/2013 9:30:14 AM   
From_Hell

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chojin

I'm hopelessly addicted to it at the moment, rushing home from work to jump straight onto it after eating (I need to eat!). I'm not sure if I should have enabled the levelling option at the beginning to ensure zombies level with you as this is making it a lot tougher. I'm used to becoming a powerhouse and later enemies being a walkthrough but it seems pointless to level up really as the zombies get stronger with you.

Perhaps you, me, DJS and Donovan could have a spot of four-way sometime?

My gamertag is O1From Hell. The 'O' is a letter, not a number

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to Chojin)
Post #: 141
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 13/1/2013 12:40:08 PM   
rich

The resort was good, as was some of the city ...but after a while I sort of realised that it wasn't really going anywhere - the same dumb fetch quests with a couple of new locations (jungle and the one after it). It had it's moments and is very atmospheric in places but it's a shame so much just felt like a chore. The story line was pretty boring too. There was a big fuss about bugs that needed fixing on release but I think those had been sorted. Anyone interested in "Riptide" or whatever the sequel is called?

Meanwhile...

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 142
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 13/1/2013 4:08:07 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

ORIGINAL: From_Hell

quote:

How far through it are you Don?

I also started this recently, and have been really enjoying it. I'd heard horror stories that it was impossibly difficult in single player, but despite a few blips in the city, it's been quite manageable. You've just got to know when to fight and when to run, and not let yourself get mobbed. I'm in the jungle, at about 70% completion so I guess I'm near the end.

The graphics are a bit up and down. Some of the in-game graphics are very good, but the character models are rubbish, and the graphics in the cut-scenes are pretty shit.

Oh only early days mate, i've just gotten to the lifeguard building. I have a mission where ive got to go to a garage and also to a lighthouse. Haven't gotten to the town or jungle yet. Havent driven a vehicle yet.

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 143
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 13/1/2013 4:09:16 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quote:

quote:

That would be good. I'm 'levcore' gamertag. Can the co-op function throughout the normal single player game? I'm not sure how it works. Can players dip in and out?

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 144
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 13/1/2013 4:09:56 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

quick question, does the weather or time of day ever change? This would be awesome with a night time rainstorm.

Post #: 145
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 13/1/2013 4:51:31 PM   
rich

No ... which is strange. Unless you want to mod the PC version, and even then there no light sources at night time.

< Message edited by rich -- 13/1/2013 4:54:12 PM >

Meanwhile...

Post #: 146
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 13/1/2013 5:53:08 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

That's a missed opportunity, a tropical storm would be perfect for this game

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 147
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 14/1/2013 8:38:46 AM   
From_Hell

quote:

quote:

quote:

That would be good. I'm 'levcore' gamertag. Can the co-op function throughout the normal single player game? I'm not sure how it works. Can players dip in and out?

Okay mate, I'll add you and Chojin next time I get on the Xbox. I don't know DJS's gamertag though...

I'm not really sure how the co-op functions either but I think players can dip in and out.

< Message edited by From_Hell -- 14/1/2013 8:39:16 AM >

"What are you gonna do?"

Post #: 148
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 14/1/2013 8:43:08 AM   
From_Hell

quote:

ORIGINAL: rich

The resort was good, as was some of the city ...but after a while I sort of realised that it wasn't really going anywhere - the same dumb fetch quests with a couple of new locations (jungle and the one after it). It had it's moments and is very atmospheric in places but it's a shame so much just felt like a chore. The story line was pretty boring too. There was a big fuss about bugs that needed fixing on release but I think those had been sorted. Anyone interested in "Riptide" or whatever the sequel is called?

As much as I've enjoyed Dead Island, the story is pretty rubbish and the fetch quests can get a bit repetitive. I'll keep an eye on Riptide, but if it's more of the same then I'll probably give it a miss.

"What are you gonna do?"

(in reply to rich)
Post #: 149
RE: Dead Island Trailer - 14/1/2013 6:04:49 PM   
Chojin

You can dip in and out as much as you like, it carries your stats across but if you're worried about the plot it might be best to play solely on your own save data.

The time of day also changes but only at a later stage of the game when you return to certain areas at night.

http://chojin.devour.org - Mixes, Contact, Etc
XBL/PSN - Chojin22000

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Dead Island Trailer Page: <<   < prev  2 3 4 [5] 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI