Sanctum 3D

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Sanctum 3D Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sanctum 3D - 7/2/2011 7:51:23 PM   
hampstead bandit

Empire gave this "James Cameron produced" cave diving thriller 3/5 which is about right, but as a former Dive Leader (BSAC Scuba Diving) I'd give it 4/5 just to reflect my personal interest in the underwater genre ;)

from what I understand, the 3D camera system was the same system Cameron developed for "Avatar" and in this instance the 3D is very effective as it really ramps up the claustraphobia - especially in scenes where the divers are pushing their equipment through 'squeezes' (tight tunnels)

the photography is stunning and the lighting very effective

I heard in some reviews it was a boring film?? but found this film to be thrilling and very tense in places as things go horribly wrong with the unexplored cave system being subjected to the effects of a massive cyclone storm at ground level, and the dive team getting trapped, running out of light and oxygen and conflicts developing between the characters

I had no problems with the father / son relationship (which some reviews had been very negative about) and found it effective set against the jeopardy of the 'trapped under ground' scenario

overall, a good solid film of the underwater thriller genre and worth a watch in 3D, easily a 3/5 for the general public or 4/5 if interested in diving or caving
Post #: 1
RE: Sanctum 3D - 7/2/2011 11:37:58 PM   
film man aidy

Have to agree on this. This was a pretty decent film. Ok, maybe a couple of lines were a bit corny, but it had a lot more pros than cons. It made good use(for a change) of the 3-D element, was genuinely very tense in parts, had some nice character development and generally good performances all round. It certainly "SPOILER TO FOLLOW" had a high body count, and two standout scenes in particular. Firstly the breathtaking opening helicopter shot of the cave, and second, the moment where the shark's tooth actually becomes useful - really made me smile. See it on a decent size 3-D screen now, as it will lose a lot on dvd...
***1/2

(in reply to hampstead bandit)
Post #: 2
RE: Sanctum 3D - 12/10/2011 12:27:15 PM   
Der Schnuck

I got a hold of this on Blu-Ray and watched it last night. I'm also a diver, though cave-diving is not a thing I'd do, wrecks are one thing, caves are another. I used to pothole when I was younger, so I could appreciate the claustrophobia of caving and the tension that comes when you're expecting rain. I did enjoy the film, I thought the photography, or cinematography, was absolutely superb, I loved the claustrophobic feel of the film, and while I wasn't overly keen on the stereotypes, the macho father, the son who hates him, the rich adventurer, the chick he picks up and the sundry extras who you know are going to cop it at some point during the film, I found the story tense and quite riveting at times. I think that our man Nick missed the sarcasm with the “What could possibly go wrong diving in caves?” line. Any diver knows that absolutely everything can go wrong when you're diving in caves, that's why it's so bloody dangerous, especially when your air (not oxygen! You take oxygen with you, but that's to deal with decompression time) is running low.
I didn't watch it in 3d, but it was impressive nonetheless, and while it won't win any prizes, it's still a thoroughly watchable film, but probably not something the general non-diving public will enjoy as much as those of us with webbed feet.

(in reply to film man aidy)
Post #: 3
RE: Sanctum 3D - 12/10/2011 12:28:12 PM   
Der Schnuck

(it was a wild boar's tooth, not a shark's tooth)

(in reply to Der Schnuck)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Sanctum 3D Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI