Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

22 Incredibly Shocking Oscars Injustices

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> 22 Incredibly Shocking Oscars Injustices Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
22 Incredibly Shocking Oscars Injustices - 7/2/2011 1:28:27 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: more Oscars injustices - 7/2/2011 5:14:26 PM   
snaze1

One glaring omission from the oscar omissions feature was Ralph Feinnes (as Amon Goeth in Schindlers list) losing out to Tommy Lee Jones (As Sam "Shouty cop" Gerrard in The Fugitive) at the 1994 oscars.

Shocking
Post #: 2
RE: Best Documentary, 78th Academy Awards - 7/2/2011 9:35:44 PM   
JCRendle

What about Tron not being included for Best Visual Effects because it was done using computers? Wow.
Post #: 3
- 14/2/2011 5:31:23 AM   
Amol

I agree with most from the list and especially the blasphemous non-recognition of Sir Charles Spencer Chaplin, Alfred Hitchcock, Stanley Kubrick for their masterpieces or just for pure direction. Even though any awards should not be considered as a sure-fire metric standard for measuring up a quality of a movie still they are a way of recognizing the genius from any field,
movies or not. But if I do take it that way, Oscars surely did some injustices by IGNORING...
1. The Maltese Falcon 2. Pacino (for any of the seven roles he was nominated for instead of the one he actually won for) 3. Dressed To Kill (1980) for at least some nominations 4. Denzel Washington (Cry Freedom, Crimson Tide), Samuel L. Jackson (Pulp Fiction), Kevin Spacey (SE7EN), Tom Hanks (Cast Away) - (How could they miss that one ??!!!), Russell Crowe (A Beautiful Mind), Sergio Leone, Robert Altman and his creations, especially M*A*S*H (1970). Also SE7EN(1995), L. A. Confidential (1997), Saving Private Ryan (1998), The Sixth Sense (1999), Munich (2005), The Dark Knight (2008) for Best Pictures statues. I can understand Washington not winning for Malcolm X since the role was controversial to give for in spite of his mind-boggling performance but with the first and the last two of these movies I just mentioned did not even get a nomination (when personally for me they were winners) and so are examples of how Oscars could not have been more politically correct.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 4
Judi Dench - 16/2/2011 5:58:51 PM   
Lord Byron Pitt

You mention that Judi Dench's run time is a little too skinny for the Oscar?

What about Beatrice Straight's performance as Louise Schumacher in Network? Just over five minutes = best supporting gong.

Post #: 5
The Oscars are mostly a farse - 21/2/2011 9:57:05 PM   
David Hirst

The reality is that the Oscars are not given out to whom deserves them, but to who's politically relevant at the time, or who's due one after all these years.
Take Morgan Freeman: He was given one for million dollar baby because they owed him one for Shawshank. Or Hitchcock who never won a Oscar probably because he just made thrillers, and they're not "deep". (even though he rewrote Freud with his work)
Let's face it: If you're an ethnic, disabled midget, with learning difficulties you might as well prepare your speech now.
What annoys me the most is that the Oscar don't usually go to the best films, but to the ones that tick the most political boxes. A film about croutons and their interaction with soup should beat a film about apartheid if it's a better film. Nuff said.

Post #: 6
1999: "The Insider" scandal... - 23/2/2011 12:00:38 PM   
tylerseven

Sorry,but what about the great Michael Mann ??Oh yes he's just a "minor" director: "last of the mohicans","collateral","public enemies","heat"...and his masterpiece,"the insider".In 1999, "American Beauty" had scandalously stolen all the statues that "the insider" deserved.It's for me the bigest scandal in Oscars history so far.
The victory of "Titanic" over "L.A. Confidential" comes in second.
The fact that "Seven" has received only the Editing Oscar comes in 3rd.

Post #: 7
Kramer vs Kramer vs Apocalypse Now - 26/2/2011 4:34:36 AM   
byronbache

Describing Kramer vs Kramer as a "courtroom drama" only serves to demonstrate that whoever wrote this copy hasn't actually seen the film. The award was for best director, not "most complicated production", "most gruelling shoot", or "most impressive film". Robert Benton's work on Kramer vs Kramer was nothing short of astonishing. The Academy didn't get that one wrong at all.

Post #: 8
RE: 22 Incredibly Shocking Oscars Injustices - 14/3/2011 2:37:42 PM   
NCC1701A

How about The best visual effects win for The Golden Compuss when Transformers should of won they were first rate effects.

Trench: I'll be back.

Church: You've been back enough. I'll be back.

[leaves]

Trench: Yippee-ki-yay.

The Expendables 2 (2012)

Post #: 9
Shawshank! - 17/2/2012 9:48:03 AM   
guysalisbury

Shawshank should have got best picture at the 67th Awards. Forrest Gump and Pulp Fiction are both brilliant but Shawshank is EPIC!

Post #: 10
goodfellas!! - 23/2/2012 7:29:46 PM   
movielover28

Martin scorsese should've won the Oscar for "Goddfellas" i think.
He also didn't accept the Oscar when he had made "Raging Bull"

Post #: 11
- 5/4/2013 2:07:40 PM   
Mr Gittes

Munich a "lesser Spielberg"? I seem to remember your review describing it as Spielberg operating at his peak. Don't worry, I appreciate that there is more than one Empire writer. It's just that I absolutely adore Munich and I consider it one of his best. So, needless to say, I would've given it the main prizes, however Brokeback Mountain would have been a worthy winner and GNAGL was excellent as well. Absolutely ridiculous that Crash won over all of them. Even the not-nominated comic book classics that year like Sin City and A History Of Violence were waaaaay better.

Post #: 12
- 20/1/2014 9:08:37 PM   
Darren47

Good list, but you forgot some things. Gwyneth Paltrow winning over Cate Blanchett? The English Patent over Fargo or Jerry Magurie? Dances with wolves over Goodfellas? Shakespere in Love over Saving Private Ryan? How could you forget those snubs!?!?

Post #: 13
The Worst Overlook? Claude Rains - 9/2/2014 9:59:15 AM   
ThomasWMutherJr

He could have justly been given the Oscar for half a dozen performances, but the worst mistake was Oscar's failure to give him the nod for best supporting Oscar for "Casablanca" in which he manages to do the unthinkable--steal every scene in which he appears, even when sharing that scene with the likes of Ingrid Bergman and Humphrey Bogart. The character he creates is at once, venal, immensely charming, amusing, despicable, and yet likeable. It was a character and performance for the ages in one of Hollywood's greatest films.

Post #: 14
Great list - 20/2/2014 7:39:13 PM   
magdalena|

Here is another good list of actors who should have one the oscars: http://www.listnerd.com/list/actors-who-should-have-won-oscars-but-have-not

Post #: 15
Balloon Dog - 27/2/2014 3:03:04 PM   
RICHARD CHAMBERS

It's great that you still have lists like this 25 years after giving us the magazine that loves film like no other. Touching, too, to see that you have mellowed on the Goodfellas vs Dances With Wolves argument, which I was certain would feature here.

Frank Capra's "Balloon Dog" is a brilliant idea for a film; one of you should definitely write a script for it. However, it does make me wonder: whatever happened to "Pork Chop" (the script what Empire wrote). Is it STILL in development hell after all these decades?!

Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> 22 Incredibly Shocking Oscars Injustices Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI