Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 15/5/2011 11:30:27 AM   
foodage

Although I don't like Scarface as much as some other classics of the gangster genre, the sheer insanity and mayhem of this scene always puts a smile on my face. Pacino knows how to turn on the crazy.

Say hello to my little friend.

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZRKGHB8GxQ

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 181
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 15/5/2011 11:42:48 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: foodage

Frreeeeeessssh fiiiiiisssh! *HONK*

This is my third and final Laurel and Hardy entry. My favourite moment from this ultra loveable comedy duo. I was introduced to Laurel and Hardy at a pretty young age, and this is a moment that has stuck with me.

Stan and Ollie are driving down the road selling fish, Ollie singing and Stan blowing a horn. "For the first time in our lives we're a success”, Ollie announces. Stan tells Ollie about an idea to make even more money, but when asked to repeat he gets muddled.

Stan: Well, if we caught our own fish, then we wouldn't have to pay for it and whoever we sold it to, it would be clear profit.
Ollie: Tell me that again.
Stan: Well if you caught a fish … and whoever you sold it to they wouldn't have to pay for it ... then the profits would go to the fish...if....if you....*HONK*

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmTqquhstEQ

There's also the shock of Stan having an actual good idea, though. But my favourite part is probably the sawing of the mast thing

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 182
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 15/5/2011 11:44:42 AM   
foodage

Yeah, should've mentioned that. The way Ollie stops the car and just looks at him in disbelief. "Tell me that again".

< Message edited by foodage -- 15/5/2011 11:45:49 AM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 183
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 15/5/2011 11:51:08 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Don't forget the awesome song! Caught in the ocean this mooooooor-ning!"

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 184
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 15/5/2011 11:53:08 AM   
foodage

Maybe this one should've been higher, haha.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 185
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 15/5/2011 11:59:21 AM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Although I don't like Scarface as much as some other classics of the gangster genre, the sheer insanity and mayhem of this scene always puts a smile on my face. Pacino knows how to turn on the crazy.

Say hello to my little friend.

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZRKGHB8GxQ

Pacino fucking kills me with his performance. I think Scarface is immensely entertaining.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 186
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 21/5/2011 11:31:46 PM   
foodage

My friend was banging on about this film to me for ages, telling me to watch it. Naturally, it was not playing locally, so I did something that I generally don't do (haven't done since) and downloaded it illegally. I was so in awe of what I saw that I phoned him up and insisted we get a train to London to see it on the big screen. I'm so glad we did.

In reviews of the film I keep seeing variations of the phrase “dense atmosphere of dread”. This is the phrase that best describes the film. Despite not at all being a horror film, it is one of the scariest and most disturbing films I have seen.

There are some mysterious incidents that occur in a German village, set shortly before the start of WW1. The film observes the behaviour of certain village members and the relationship between the children and the adults.

There are many scenes in the film that I admire, but the one I am including in this list shows a Pastor is an excruciating exchange between a pastor and his son. The pastor suspects his son of masturbating confronts him about it, telling a story about another “wretched boy” who did the same and ultimately died. His son is left in tears feeling humiliated and guilty for his actions.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 187
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 22/5/2011 12:02:00 PM   
foodage

I have a very vague recollection of watching this when I was very young. It was not until I saw the picture in the “The Top 250 Visually Amazing/Impressive Films” of this forum, that I rediscovered it. That's one of my favourite lists on the forum by the way, props to the people who organised that one. And this one really really is one of the most visually Amazing/Impressive films. After seeing it on that list I watched it, then straight after watched it again. Then about 15 more times that week. It's the last handful of shots that I love most of all.

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQlmXU1zqfc

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 188
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 24/5/2011 9:49:31 PM   
foodage

quote:

By the way, there's another really unpopular one coming up in a bit.

Told you. The second half of Death Proof I don't really like. Much like others feel, I find the dialogue pretty poor and the characters pretty dislikeable. However I think the first half is perfect. Did I say perfect? Not a word usually used to describe Death Proof I know.

I think the cast is brilliant, with Kurt Russell, Rose McGowan and Sydney Tamiia Poitier particularly shining, The music is fantastic and the climax is incredible.

I love that nothing happens for such a long time at the beginning. It's just girls in a bar, sitting around, talking, drinking. It makes the abrupt shift in tone all the more extreme.

“It was a fifty fifty shot on wheter you'd be going left or right. You see we're both going left. You could have just as easily been going left, too. And if that was the case... It would have been a while before you started getting scared. But since you're going the other way, I'm afraid you're gonna have to start getting scared... immediately!”

After Rose McGowen gets battered up in Stuntman Mike's death proof car (although, to get the benefit of it you really need to be sitting in his seat), he goes after the other girls. They are listening to some music and cruising along happily. This scene really had me on the edge of my seat, waiting for the inevitable. The flying leg is also a nice touch.

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4-UMBiBuCA

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 189
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 24/5/2011 10:02:20 PM   
matty_b

Hated that film.

Song's good, though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 190
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 28/5/2011 1:01:03 AM   
foodage

The Seventh Seal was one of the very first Blu Rays that I watched and certainly the first older black and white films that I'd seen in the format. When I put the disc in my eyes nearly popped out. I had no idea just how stunningly beautiful a film from this era could look, having never seen one either in a cinema or in 1080p. I had seen a whole bunch of Seventh Seal spoofs before ever having seen the film, but even so the opening scene still took my breath away. Bergman is able to create images that stay in your mind. The knight playing chess with death on the beach is the most iconic of all, and the one I have chosen for this list, but also the ending scene with the people “dancing” with death on the hill against the storm clouds (which I almost chose instead of this). Other examples that come to mind are the coffin dream sequence in Wild Strawberries and the child in Persona.

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtqB2XO9jtI

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 191
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 29/5/2011 12:17:56 PM   
foodage

Ok you cunts, it's not big, it's not clever, but actually it's pretty awesome.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 192
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 4/6/2011 10:26:16 PM   
foodage

If I think of my favourite single shots in cinema, this is one that comes to mind. Noodles and his gang skipping past Manhattan Bridge accompanied by Morricone's gorgeous score. In fact I'm a little ashamed I'm scarred it up so nastily in that banner, so here it is in all its glory.

The film is a masterpiece. It has made a fair few other lists on this forum it seems, so I'm not gonna blather on about it.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 193
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 4/6/2011 11:02:58 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

The Seventh Seal was one of the very first Blu Rays that I watched and certainly the first older black and white films that I'd seen in the format. When I put the disc in my eyes nearly popped out. I had no idea just how stunningly beautiful a film from this era could look, having never seen one either in a cinema or in 1080p. I had seen a whole bunch of Seventh Seal spoofs before ever having seen the film, but even so the opening scene still took my breath away. Bergman is able to create images that stay in your mind. The knight playing chess with death on the beach is the most iconic of all, and the one I have chosen for this list, but also the ending scene with the people “dancing” with death on the hill against the storm clouds (which I almost chose instead of this). Other examples that come to mind are the coffin dream sequence in Wild Strawberries and the child in Persona.

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtqB2XO9jtI

YES

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 194
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 5/6/2011 12:12:42 AM   
FritzlFan

Great choice with #39.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 195
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 5/6/2011 8:49:14 AM   
matty_b

Yeah, wonderful choice.

quote:

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 196
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 7/6/2011 6:49:33 PM   
foodage

I was born in 1989, the year that The Little Mermaid sparked the Disney renaissance. Naturally, the films meant a lot to me growing up. They really nailed the musical number during this time. There could have been a few songs from this period to make this list.

Under The Sea, Part of Your World, Kiss The Girl, Poor Unfortunate Souls, Belle, Be Our Guest, Beauty and the Beast, The Mob Song, Arabian Nights, Friend Like Me, Prince Ali, A Whole New World, Circle of Life, I Just Can't Wait to be King, Be Prepared, Hakuna Matata, Can You Feel the Love Tonight, Colors of the Wind, Just Around the Riverbend, The Bells of Notre Dame, The Gospel Truth, Go The Distance, Zero To Hero, I Won't Say (I'm in Love), Reflection, You'll Be in My Heart.

… to name but 26. And that's just from the renaissance era. Pick one of those out of a hat and it could really have made the list. I've picked “Belle” to represent them all really. It is catchy, has a great comic streak and a very moving climax.

Beauty and the Beast is maybe the best of a strong run of films from Disney and the first to animated feature to be nominated for an academy award for best picture.

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJQr6bmmRt8

< Message edited by foodage -- 8/6/2011 8:57:31 AM >

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 197
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 8/6/2011 12:07:35 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Awesome! I'm going to be singing that all night now.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 198
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 11/12/2011 5:14:23 PM   
foodage

Sorry for the long gap, I've had stuff going on. Well I've returned with hopefully a popular choice. Toys contemplating their existence and purpose. A character dealing with intense jealousy. I saw Toy Story at the cinema on its initial UK release in 1996 and on its 3D re-release in 2009. As well as being a landmark from a technological perspective, it is also a thoughtful and intelligent film with detailed characters and themes that appeal to adults as much as children.

This scene shows Woody, who we know to be genuine and a good leader show a nasty jealous streak. After comforting and reassuring the other 'lesser' toys that the birthday party of their owner is not something to worry about, he has his position at the top of the toy hierarchy challenged for the first time. The arrival of Buzz Lightyear brings out fears and insecurities in Woody. (Laser envy).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUkyvA19JVI

< Message edited by foodage -- 11/12/2011 5:15:28 PM >

Post #: 199
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 11/12/2011 5:16:06 PM   
matty_b

Yay, it's back! Love this thread.

Anyway, awesome choice.

quote:

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 200
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 11/12/2011 6:02:56 PM   
Rebel scum

What Matty said, this is a great thread.

Great choice too.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 201
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 13/12/2011 6:47:37 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Nice to see this thread back, and a great scene to get it going again.

Much more better!

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 202
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 25/2/2012 10:13:21 PM   
foodage

When Black Swan came out, there was a film that was mentioned in just about every review of it. That film was “The Red Shoes”. Off the back off loving Black Swan, I rented The Red Shoes and loved it. I was surprised at just how similar the two films are. The scene that of course stands out is the ballet sequence, lasting over 15 minutes. As reality and imagination merge on the stage, we see a sequence of colours and images which you can't take your eyes off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BksDeYMlbMo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NWn4nn7sL0

Post #: 203
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 4/10/2012 7:21:41 PM   
foodage

Ok, I left this unfinished sorry. I was going well then stuff happened that I wasn't expecting and it ground to a halt. I had another look at my list and as it was so long since I started this, a lot of my list would be very different now. So I had a reshuffle, and for anyone that is interested I will repost my new list on a tumblr blog. Pretty much every moment that was yet to be posted in this list will be posted on the tumblr, so for anyone who wants closure (there must be thousands of you I imagine) you can follow me at http://adamquelch.tumblr.com/

Thank you to everyone who commented while I was doing these posts, it was fun.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 204
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 4/10/2012 7:24:47 PM   
matty_b

Cool, I'll definitely have a look, foodage.

Hope you're OK, always enjoyed this list.

quote:

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 205
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 4/10/2012 7:30:07 PM   
Rebel scum

I'll be checking the Tumblr out, this was one of my favourite lists.

"We are not safe! A dark menace rises to the east! Duckies go quack! Cows go moo! I want ice cream. Verily, will you two hobbits join my quest?"

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 206
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 4/10/2012 11:57:40 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Always wondered what happened to this. I'll be keeping an eye on that list.

Much more better!

(in reply to Rebel scum)
Post #: 207
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 25/11/2012 7:18:39 PM   
foodage

OK, for anyone interested I'm half way through!

http://adamquelch.tumblr.com/

100 Let The Right One In: Meet
99 Streetcar: Cats
98 Drag Me To Hell: Carpark
97 Safety Last: Climb
96 Kick Ass: Hit Girl
95 8 1/2: Dance on Beach
94 Bean: Picture
93 Eternal sunshine: train meeting
92 Grease: Danny and Sandy Meet
91 Ringu: TV
90 The Apartment: Marilyn Monroe
89 The Kid: Take the Kid
88 Kill Bill: Masochistic
87 Seventh Seal: Start/End
86 Cinema Paradiso: Kissing Reel
85 Trip to the Moon: rocket in eye
84 The Orphanage: Room
83 Requiem for a Dream: End
82 Moonrise Kingdom: Dance on Beach
81 The Immigrant: Restaurant
80 Dr Strangelove: We'll Meet Again
79 Nights of Cabiria: Ending
78 A Nightmare on Elm Street: Ceiling
77 Notorious: Poison
76 The Gold Rush: Dance of the Bread Rolls
75 Inception: Last Shot
74 The Girl Next Door: Window
73 Casablanca: gin joints
72 Sunrise: Temptation
71 Boogie Nights: Roller Girl Taxi
70 Sweeney Todd: Murder
69 The artist: sound
68 The Great Dictator: Speech
67 Scream: What's your favourite Scary Movie?
66 Archipelago: Pink
65 Nosferatu: Shadow up stairs
64 Up: Ellie
63 What's Opera, Doc?: Happy Ending
62 Chicken With Plums: Meeting
61 Grave of the Fireflies: Water
60 American Psycho: Business Cards
59 Battle Royal: Video
58 Sleeping Beauty: Dragon
57 Citizen Kane: Rosebud
56 The Exorcist: Exorcism
55 The band concert: storm
54 Strangers on a Train: Carousel
53 8 Mile: Final Rap Battle
52 Once upon a time in America: bridge
51 One flew over the Cuckoo's Nest: Baseball

http://adamquelch.tumblr.com/

Post #: 208
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 25/11/2012 7:26:00 PM   
matty_b

I have been following this, actually. Some really great choices.

quote:

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 209
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 6 [7]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI