Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 1/4/2011 10:44:18 PM   
foodage

Spoilers

I absolutely adore Ennio Morricone. His work on Sergio Leone's films is staggering to me. This piece is one of my favourites, accompanying a magnificent scene which reveals the identity of the mysterious man with the harmonica. During the final duel we see a flashback we see “harmonica” as a child supporting his brother on his shoulders, who has a noose around his neck. (Hang on is this vengeance again?). We have the classic Leone close up of eyes as the score soars majestically. That was an appalling metaphor, sorry about that.

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyvzfyqYm_s

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 151
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 1/4/2011 10:58:08 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Oh yes, so much win.
Interestingly, in Germany, the film is called "Play me the Song of Death", which Fonda also says to young Harmonica instead of "Keep your lovin' brother happy". I think that's quite cool and poetic, though it sounds better in German.

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 152
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 2/4/2011 2:34:34 PM   
foodage

“Benny, Bring me everyone.”

“What do you mean 'everyone'?"

“EVERYONE!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74BzSTQCl_c

Post #: 153
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 2/4/2011 2:37:59 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

Another great one

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 154
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 2/4/2011 3:35:17 PM   
swordsandsandals

Gary Oldman = hero.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

Post #: 155
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 22/4/2011 1:48:17 PM   
foodage

I haven't abandoned this thread, I've just been away. Anyway I'll quickly throw this one in.

"Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine."

Rick sits and drinks, thinking about the woman that has been in his bar just a little while earlier. He insists that Sam plays “As Time Goes By” (again..), a song of which we can feel the significance. I love the darkened lighting and the composition of the shots. Simple but beautiful.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 156
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 22/4/2011 2:04:59 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Foodage! I'm glad you've resumed the thread (I missed it) but I hardly think there's 51 better moments in film then this It is your personal choice though so I understand

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 157
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 23/4/2011 9:57:59 PM   
foodage

The second in my trilogy of Billy Wilder entries. An iconic comedy classic.

Joe (Tony Curtis) disguises himself as a millionaire and secures himself a date with Sugar (Marilyn Monroe), on his (not really his) yacht. Joe persuades Jerry (Jack Lemmon) to dress as Daphne (long story) and go on a date with the true yacht owener, Osgood (Joe E. Brown), in order to keep the yacht unoccupied. It all sounds so confusing. You know the plot anyway.

Joe comes up with this absurd story about being unable to feel anything for women. Sugar tries to “cure” him of this.

“Well?”
“I'm not quite sure. Could you try it again”

Meanwhile, an initially reluctant Jerry ends up having a wonderful evening with Osgood, dancing the night away . . . and ends up engaged.

The cuts between the two already hilarious scenarios make them all the more funny.

Wacth: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beAO7zrZL3A

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 158
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 25/4/2011 9:51:22 PM   
foodage

It's an observation that has been made many a time, but it is ironic that two such memorable cinematic speeches are made by the most famous ever silent comedian. The Great Dictator's inspirational final monologue and his hilarious gibberish tirade as Adenoid Hynkel, which is my number 50 entry (oh, we're past the half way mark!). It's still a very physical scene, making use of his facial expression and body movements as well and spluttering through his faux-German speech.

After being reluctant to move away from silent film, The Great Dictator as a debut talkie is certainly a brave and ambitious move from Chaplin. Although it's not my favourite of his films, I actually find it one of his funniest, and certainly an admirable piece of work.

Here's something I stole from the IMDB trivia section that I though was interesting: When this film was released, Adolf Hitler banned it in Germany and in all countries occupied by the Nazis. Curiosity eventually got the best of him and he had a print brought in through Portugal. He screened it not once but twice. Unfortunately, history did not record his reaction to the film. When told of this, Charles Chaplin said, "I'd give anything to know what he thought of it."

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMV4oGzxu7g

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 159
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 28/4/2011 8:44:23 PM   
foodage

I had spent the day at my friend's house once, and I asked him and his mum if I could borrow a video. I was only about 5, which makes it less weird. I looked at all his videos for a minute or two then I pointed out the one I wanted to borrow. His mum said to me “I had a feeling you would choose that one”. She knew because I performed this ritual every time I went to his house, choosing the same film each time. If you hadn't guessed from the banner, that film was Sleeping Beauty.

Almost every frame in this film feels like a painting. It's so visually beautiful. The thing I loved most about the film when I was younger was Maleficent. I loved all the Disney villains, but Maleficent was the best of the lot. I think Jafar from Aladdin was my 2nd favourite. My mum made me a Jafar cake for my 5th birthday. Here's the proof:

Well it's a pretty epic final showdown. Maleficent casts a spell causing the castle to be surrounded by thick thorn bushes. Philip attempts to battle through, to get to Aurora and awaken her with true love's first kiss. As he approaches the castle, Maleficent comes down and turns herself into a Dragon, after uttering my favourite line. “Now shall you deal with me, O Prince, and all the powers of hell!”

I remember finding the scene terrifying time and time again. The animation is stunningly spectacular. I watched it recently on Blu Ray, and the wider aspect ratio made it even more gorgeous. I remember one of you was slagging this film off in another thread *Glare*, I don't remember who though. The 5 year old me would not be happy.

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aY7FXpoJCE

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 160
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 29/4/2011 5:54:33 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Brilliant choice!

And it was Deviation

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 161
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 11/5/2011 6:20:02 PM   
foodage

I watched this film remembering what Mark Kermode had said about it, that he really liked it but didn't find it funny. I was therefore surprised that in terms of number of laughs, I have never seen a funnier film. There's about a half dozen proper laughs in the first two minutes. An absolute gem of a movie which not only had me laughing throughout, but had very moving moments and tackled a difficult subject absolutely perfectly.

The opening scene sees four aspiring muslim terrorists trying to make a video with a camcorder and a very small gun, (“big hands, brother!”). It establishes the dynamic of the group brilliantly, delivering my favourite line of the film “Aye up you unbelieving Kaffur bastards!”

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 162
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 11/5/2011 6:58:26 PM   
matty_b

Great choice. Funniest film I've seen in a cinema in a long, long while. There were a couple of walk outs at my showing, but I was in hysterics for most of it.

I think my funniest moment, however, would be Barry's rant at his car engine.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 163
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 11/5/2011 10:34:09 PM   
foodage

Yeah, there's just so many funny moments. I considered a few different ones before deciding on that one. I nearly went with Fessel jumping over the wall, and the Rubber Dinghy Rapids scene.

I can't see number 47 being a popular choice.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 164
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 12/5/2011 12:47:13 AM   
swordsandsandals

Oh gosh this film was hilarious. Couldn't stop laughing. Funniest film I've seen in the cinema for years.

I think my favourite moment would be the immortal line "fuck mini babybels." The fact that it's offscreen as well somehow adds to its genius.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 165
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 12/5/2011 1:19:23 AM   
MonsterCat

Kayvan Novak basically stole the entire movie. He's brilliant.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 166
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 13/5/2011 7:09:13 PM   
foodage

Ok, ok, settle down, I haven't even pressed “post” yet and I can hear your groans already. It certainly feels like a lonely place saying anything positive about James Cameron's Titanic. I think if you like a film, you've gotta stand up for it no matter how bad it makes you look, so that's what I'm doing now.

I'm not putting in the “Jack, Jack, I love you Jack, Rose, you're so stupid Rose, you're strong Rose, Jack, don't leave me Jack, Rose, I love you Rose, you jump I jump, I won't let go jack” stuff. Although, I'm more lenient towards that stuff than most. The actual spectacle of the ship sinking was incredible to me when I first watched it at 9 years old, and still is today.

Kate, Leo, Jimmy and Celine aside, I'm really fascinated by the real story of the Titanic, so part of my love for the film is from that. There are moments in the film that I do genuinely find moving. Two that come to mind are the band that keep on playing together amongst the chaos, and the old couple that accept their fate in their cabin. I think my favourite moment though is a shot of the people in the life boats looking on in absolute horror, then a shot of the ship and an angle that it was never intended to be at.

Oh yeah, and also who can forget the bloke that hits the propeller?

I was on a cruise ship recently and one night during dinner they actually played My Heart Will Go On. It was so inappropriate. Mainly because the song is enough to have people vomiting at their tables even in restaurants on dry land.

At least you can't say I'm trying to look cool and alternative. By the way, there's another really unpopular one coming up in a bit.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 167
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 13/5/2011 7:25:20 PM   
matty_b

I understand your reasoning.  

quote:

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 168
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 13/5/2011 7:33:15 PM   
MonsterCat

Will admitting to liking Titanic damage my credibility even further?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 169
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 13/5/2011 8:06:43 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

Nah, it's a great film.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 170
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 13/5/2011 8:21:20 PM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

You've already admitted to liking Precious. The damage is done.

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 171
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 13/5/2011 10:25:59 PM   
foodage

I'm sure there are plenty of Titanic fans in the closet.

Archipelago

I wanna mention this scene that would have made this list had I seen it in time. Archipelago, a really sparse British film. A family go on holiday to the Isles of Scilly. That's basically the whole plot. There's not a note of music, and I don't think there's a single moving shot, every one is static. Because the acting is so naturalistic, and so little happens plot wise, every interaction and emotion is amplified. I haven't seen a scene in a long time that's as tense as when the daughter in this sends back her guinea fowl thinking it's undercooked. I watched some of it through my fingers, squirming and cringing.

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlGXRvC2dww

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 172
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 14/5/2011 2:54:43 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: foodage

My particular favourite is the man who hits the foam capstan

The spectacle of the sinking is the best thing about the film. The scenes of panic and mayhem are very well done, and the inclusion of some things that actually happened (Guggenheim, the Strausses, Andrews) is good, and I maintain that if the film had focussed on the ship and actual people, it could have been a masterpiece. But the godwawful romance, Leo, and a gun-toting Billy Zane make that impossible. I just can't care for the leads. The scenes of unnamed characters in despair are devastating. Many of Kate and Leo's experiences are laughable.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 173
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 14/5/2011 9:06:05 AM   
foodage

You'll like my next entry Gimli.

Post #: 174
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 14/5/2011 10:47:57 AM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: foodage

My particular favourite is the man who hits the foam capstan

The spectacle of the sinking is the best thing about the film. The scenes of panic and mayhem are very well done, and the inclusion of some things that actually happened (Guggenheim, the Strausses, Andrews) is good, and I maintain that if the film had focussed on the ship and actual people, it could have been a masterpiece. But the godwawful romance, Leo, and a gun-toting Billy Zane make that impossible. I just can't care for the leads. The scenes of unnamed characters in despair are devastating. Many of Kate and Leo's experiences are laughable.

That's actually part of my problem with the film - all of a sudden we're presented with these characters that we've never seen before and supposed to find it tragic. Don't get me wrong, it IS a tragedy, but I find it a complete cheat that Cameron shoves these characters in without bothering to show anything else about them.

quote:

Post #: 175
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 14/5/2011 10:53:40 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

It may be because I was massively interested in the history of The Titanic, many, many years before the film came out (and I still am, all thanks to primary school showing A Night To Remember!) so that when actual historical people appeared, I knew about them from outside of the film. But even in the scenes that aren't specifically about anyone, the masses that it would have been impossible to focus on in any depth, it's much more involving than the main characters.

Much more better!

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 176
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 14/5/2011 10:57:04 AM   
matty_b

That is true.

quote:

Post #: 177
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 15/5/2011 1:06:24 AM   
foodage

Frreeeeeessssh fiiiiiisssh! *HONK*

This is my third and final Laurel and Hardy entry. My favourite moment from this ultra loveable comedy duo. I was introduced to Laurel and Hardy at a pretty young age, and this is a moment that has stuck with me.

Stan and Ollie are driving down the road selling fish, Ollie singing and Stan blowing a horn. “For the first time in our lives we're a success”, Ollie announces. Stan tells Ollie about an idea to make even more money, but when asked to repeat he gets muddled.

Stan: Well, if we caught our own fish, then we wouldn't have to pay for it and whoever we sold it to, it would be clear profit.
Ollie: Tell me that again.
Stan: Well if you caught a fish … and whoever you sold it to they wouldn't have to pay for it ... then the profits would go to the fish...if....if you....*HONK*

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wmTqquhstEQ

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 178
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 15/5/2011 2:05:03 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Brilliant, absolutely brillliant! An amazing scene from one of their best films.

Much more better!

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 179
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 15/5/2011 8:38:04 AM   
Rinc

The sinking in Titanic is spectacular. I love it. Like others here, if the love story hadn't been there it would have been a fantastic film.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments Page: <<   < prev  3 4 5 [6] 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI