Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 3/3/2011 4:09:28 PM   
swordsandsandals

This scene is actually great, despite my aversion to Taranatino. I found the whole film to be patchy - whenever Brad Pitt was onscreen it sucked, and that's not a comment against Pitt, it's just that the Basterds themselves didn't work. So this Basterd free scene is excellent.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 121
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 5/3/2011 12:22:50 AM   
foodage

Spoilers

Throughout the film you really get a strong sense of how much that bicycle means to Antonio. When it comes to the final scene of the film, you are not just watching his dilemma, you are feeling it. It feels like your dilemma.

Antonio sits on the curb with his son. The relationship between the two of them is wonderful as is the performance from the child actor Enzo Staiola. Antonio decides to steal the unguarded bicycle that he has seen, but is chased and stopped by a crowd of people. The bicycle owner does not press charges, but the crowd leave him with some scornful words, including the sarcastic “A fine example to set your son”, who is stood sobbing by his side. An extremely moving and beautifully shot finale to a great film. I know sometimes people just tag on “beautifully shot” on to reviews as a little bit of extra generic praise, but this scene really is beautifully shot.

We're being treated to this one on Blu Ray this month by the looks of it.

Watch the scene here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_lJbSJoIuw

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 122
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 5/3/2011 12:40:34 AM   
paul_ie86

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

This scene is actually great, despite my aversion to Taranatino. I found the whole film to be patchy - whenever Brad Pitt was onscreen it sucked, and that's not a comment against Pitt, it's just that the Basterds themselves didn't work. So this Basterd free scene is excellent.

Hey, what a coincidence. That's what people say when you leave the room.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

Post #: 123
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 5/3/2011 1:13:16 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Dont worry Foodage, fellow Tarantino fan right here , I even liked....... (takes deep breath and puts on bulletproof vest)..... Death Proof.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to paul_ie86)
Post #: 124
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 7/3/2011 5:54:19 PM   
foodage

Maybe I'm pushing the definition of a “moment” here, but I'm choosing the opening 45 minutes of Kubrick's Full Metal Jacket. I haven't seen a whole load of war movies, but of the ones I've seen this is my favourite. Incidentally, my second favourite is also directed by Kubrick, “Paths of Glory”.

The film is very much in two distinct parts; the first being the training of new recruits and the second taking place in Vietnam. I think probably it is split fairly evenly as to which part people prefer, maybe I'm wrong. For me, as much as I love the second part, the training section leaves me unable to take my eyes off the screen.

It's hilarious and horrifying at the same time. R. Lee Ermey does a great job as Sgt. Hartman, vulgar abuse tumbling out every time he opens his mouth. Private Pyle is a very empathetic character and the last scene in the bathroom is haunting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecpuOJwQKQg

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 125
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 7/3/2011 6:33:33 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: foodage

Picture speaks for itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa_db5l0q4Q

Absolutely great line.

SWORDS APPROVES OF SWEARING

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

Post #: 126
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 10/3/2011 8:48:34 PM   
foodage

Spoilers

I love Woody Allen, and of the films of his that I've seen, there were three that jumped out at me as being all time favourites. Not Annie Hall, weirdly, as that seems to be commonly regarded as his masterpiece. Hannah and her sisters is one of them. The other two have moments higher up on this list.

This scene is between Barbara Hershey as Lee and Max von Sydow as her partner, Frederick. Max von Sydow is notable for working frequently with director Ingmarr Bergman, a massive influence on Woody Allen. The scene is a break up of a relationship that has really run out of steam. Frederick is a very intelligent but reclusive man who has contempt seemingly for all people but Lee. He sees Lee as a student of his but is also very dependent on her. After five years together, Lee has found someone else that she would rather be with.

An emotional and well acted scene without being unnecessary overdramatic. Another scene that nearly made it was the one where Woody Allen's character goes on a disastrous date with Dianne Wiest's character to see a punk band.

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 127
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 13/3/2011 10:54:48 PM   
foodage

Spoilers

From Darren Aranofski's Requiem for a Dream, an absolutely devastating ending. We first get a horrifying montage, with fast cuts between the four characters. We see Marion, played by Jennifer Connelly, performing an explicit “ass to ass” show in front a leering, chanting crowd. We see Harry's infected arm, and feel his pain when he screams as the doctor touches it. It looks horrendous. We see blood splatter as the saw penetrates his flesh during the amputation. We see Harry's mother Sara receiving Electroconvulsive therapy after her descent into insanity. And we see Marlon in prison doing hard labour whilst struggling with drug withdrawal.

After the fast paced montage, we get a second slower montage accompanied by the beautiful and haunting Clint Mansell composed piece “Lux Æterna”. A really special piece of film music, which I wish was not subsequently used to death by by trailers, adverts and X Factor.

In this second montage we get a mortifying shot of Harry with his arm amputated, Marion seemingly content with her bag of heroin, Marlon assuming the foetal position in his prison bed and a broken Sara fantasising about appearing on the television show she's been talking about for so long.

I've used a lot of negative adjectives in those few words. I find the film's style works brilliantly. A little fact from wikipedia: “While an average 100-minute film has 600 to 700 cuts, Requiem features more than 2,000”

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 128
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 13/3/2011 11:07:02 PM   
scarface666brooksy!!

Requiem For A Dream is currently the third best movie I've seen so far this year. The last 20 minutes or so is one of the most haunting, disturbing and horrific pieces of cinema I've ever seen. Good choice Foodage. I'm loving the list so far.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 129
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 14/3/2011 8:33:04 AM   
foodage

To contrast the rather depressing last entry, here's one that puts smiles on faces: the classic Laurel and Hardy dance from Way Out West. Basically, Stan and Ollie approach a saloon, there's a band playing outside, they dance, it's a joy. That's about it. The song is called “At The Ball, That's All” and is by The Avalon Boys.

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0zv3M2ZNBU

Post #: 130
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 14/3/2011 8:57:41 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

To contrast the rather depressing last entry, here's one that puts smiles on faces: the classic Laurel and Hardy dance from Way Out West. Basically, Stan and Ollie approach a saloon, there's a band playing outside, they dance, it's a joy. That's about it. The song is called “At The Ball, That's All” and is by The Avalon Boys.

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0zv3M2ZNBU

Yes, yes, and yes some more.

If there's one scene in film history guaranteed to make me laugh, it's this. Perfect.

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 14/3/2011 8:58:00 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 131
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 15/3/2011 7:59:21 AM   
foodage

Does anyone remember Professor Burp's Bubbleworks at Chessington World of Adventures? That was an awesome ride. This scene reminds me of that. Anyway, this scene was another childhood favourite. I also might as well take this opportunity to have a little kick at the Tim Burton remake. What a monstrosity that was.

Brilliant performance from Gene Wilder. The scene is psychedelic and pretty disturbing for a kids film, especially the image of the chicken behind beheaded.

There's no earthly way of knowing
Which direction we are going
There's no knowing where we're rowing
Or which way the river's flowing

Is it raining, is it snowing
Is a hurricane a-blowing

Not a speck of light is showing
So the danger must be growing
Are the fires of Hell a-glowing
Is the grisly reaper mowing

Yes, the danger must be growing
For the rowers keep on rowing
And they're certainly not showing
Any signs that they are slowing

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKZT2u3gYQI

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 132
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 15/3/2011 8:10:08 AM   
matty_b

God, that scene freaked me out as a kid, especially the millipede across the face. I mean, what the hell is it doing in a kid's film to begin with?! Horrific.

< Message edited by matty_b -- 15/3/2011 8:12:04 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 133
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 15/3/2011 11:43:26 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b
God, that scene freaked me out as a kid, especially the millipede across the face. I mean, what the hell is it doing in a kid's film to begin with?! Horrific.

Same here . That whole movie creeped me out as a kid to be honest.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 134
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 18/3/2011 11:21:56 AM   
foodage

Topping list after list, it's the Citizen Kane of movies . . . Citizen Kane. We are first introduced to the death place of Charles Foster Kane with a closeup of a “No Trespassing” sign. The camera then pans up the gate and we see Kane's castle. The whole opening sequence has an eerie feel about it. We get a closeup of a snowglobe and then of Kane's mouth, uttering the word “Rosebud”. A word that remains an intriguing mystery to characters in the film. Kane drops the snowglobe, it smashes, and in it we see the reflection of a nurse entering the room. A creepy and beautiful opening to classic film.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZOzk7T93wE

Post #: 135
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 18/3/2011 11:27:03 AM   
Rhubarb

quote:

it's the Citizen Kane of movies . . . Citizen Kane.

I laughed out loud

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 136
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 18/3/2011 11:36:07 AM   
impqueen

I really like this thread and I approve of Citizen Kane's opening, one of my favourite openings in cinema and I laughed.    

Yes, always.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 137
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 18/3/2011 11:42:41 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I concur with the previous statements of provoked laughter . Great opening to a great film. It's been awhile since I've seen it actually, prime for a re-watch sooner or later...

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 138
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 19/3/2011 12:00:01 PM   
foodage

I've been a huge fan of Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant since The Office was first shown on television. I had been disappointed with Ricky's film work which up until Cemetery Junction has been mediocre (if I'm being generous). Cemetery Junction is the first film with Ricky and Stephen teamed up behind the camera, and although far from perfect, has some great moments.

This scene displays some of the awkward tragedy that was in The Office. Ralph Fiennes awards a retiring man a cut glass fruit bowl as a farewell gift and a thank you for his 43 years working at the company. It's a token gesture towards a totally unappreciated man for his life's work. My favourite line is “Don't be a stranger. Pop in occasionally so we don't forget you”. The bowl is later seen being used as an ashtray by a party guest.

< Message edited by foodage -- 19/3/2011 12:35:07 PM >

Post #: 139
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 25/3/2011 5:29:45 PM   
foodage

Spoilers

The godfather films are so beautifully grand and cinematic. The parallel storylines in part 2 work really well. I'm still yet to see part three. Had it on DVD for years but scared to put it in the player.

This scene is one of vengeance. Vengeance makes for some great cinema, doesn't it? Vito Corleone returns to Sicily for the first time since escaping to America. He is introduced to Don Ciccio, the man who murdered his father. He is now very old, weak and unable to see well. He asks Vito to come closer and for his father's name. “My father's name was Antonio Andolini... and this is for you”.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 140
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 26/3/2011 5:57:34 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

quote:

Spoilers

The godfather films are so beautifully grand and cinematic. The parallel storylines in part 2 work really well. I'm still yet to see part three. Had it on DVD for years but scared to put it in the player. This scene is one of vengeance. Vengeance makes for some great cinema, doesn't it? Vito Corleone returns to Sicily for the first time since escaping to America. He is introduced to Don Ciccio, the man who murdered his father. He is now very old, weak and unable to see well. He asks Vito to come closer and for his father's name. “My father's name was Antonio Andolini... and this is for you”.

It's really not all that bad, but Sofia Coppola's greatness as a director is measured by her awfulness as an actress I will admit that much

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 141
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 29/3/2011 8:45:00 PM   
foodage

Watching Magnolia felt like being swept up on a weird and wonderful ride. In all his films, Paul Thomas Anderson really manages to get great performances out of people. I am even including, dare I say it, Tom Cruise. This film has a great all round cast and was baffled at first by the sheer number of characters that I was supposed to be keeping track of. I find that part of the movie's charm; it almost feels like a collage.

I do find this montage very special, when all these tenuously linked characters are united singing Aimee Mann's beautiful song “Wise Up”.

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gC96_vph-oI

Post #: 142
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 30/3/2011 1:49:19 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Great pick.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 143
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 30/3/2011 8:09:32 AM   
matty_b

Yup, great choice.

quote:

Post #: 144
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 30/3/2011 7:45:32 PM   
foodage

Spoilers

The girl in the red coat is something that has been much discussed over the years. It is a technique which really does work for me. When there is so many atrocities happening, it is almost too difficult to process. Oskar Schindler watching the one girl, shown in a red coat in this otherwise black and white film, helps you appreciate that each of these atrocities are happening to individual people, who have individual thoughts and fears. When I first saw this film I was well aware that this scene was in it, but what I was not prepared for was the second time we see this girl. The flash of red we see on the wheelbarrow of bodies feels like a punch in the stomach.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 145
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 30/3/2011 7:46:22 PM   
matty_b

Another great one.

Some may not agree.

quote:

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 146
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 30/3/2011 7:47:45 PM   
rawlinson

I'd be one of them. 

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 147
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 30/3/2011 11:50:19 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

The red generally looks like a murky grey to me. Might be because I'm colourblind, but it never stands out that much to me. Still a great scene.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 148
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 31/3/2011 12:03:44 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

SPOILERS
Great scene from a brilliant film. The scene where you see her on top of the pile of bodies chokes me up every time.

Post #: 149
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 31/3/2011 12:04:11 AM   
Miles Messervy 007

Missed quite a few:
Hannah and Her Sisters - fantastic choice, acting and scriptwriting masterclass. The best scene (rivaled by loads, though) in his best film.
Requiem for a Dream - it's a good film, with a particularly good ending, so yeah.
Way Out West - not seen.
Willy Wonka - the film is nothing special overall, but Wilder rocks, and this scene is one of the stand-outs.
Citizen Kane - duh. Nice line, BTW.
Cemetery Junction - not seen.
The Godfather Part II - could pick many scenes, this one's definitely one of my favourites.
Magnolia - worst scene in an already awful film, bitchpls.
Schindler's List - the girl in the red coat is an example of the worst aspects of that film, so no thanks.

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI