Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 23/2/2011 2:09:56 PM   
matty_b

Fie to the naysayers, fucking brilliant choice.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 91
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 23/2/2011 10:14:21 PM   
foodage

Spoilers

Pixar have proven to be masters at dishing out magical movie moments. Just as the Disney Renaissance was coming to a close, Pixar stepped in with Toy Story and have been impressively consistent ever since. I wouldn't consider Up one of the strongest Pixar films (a testament to their catalogue), but the montage that spans from Carl and Ellie's wedding day to Ellie's death is heartbreaking and beautifully constructed.

We begin with the couple's wedding day, seeing Ellie's family whooping, cheering, dancing, with one member even firing a rifle into the air, whilst Carl's smaller turnout sit quietly clapping. We see them buying their first house, decorating it, working together at zoo towards their dream of going to South America. The couple are then devastated by the news that they are unable to have children together, but continue to live their lives, saving and hoping to some day make their journey together. Their savings are set back by various necessities and by the time that Carl organises the trip that they have planned for their whole lives, Ellie falls ill and is unable to go. The montage closes with Carl sitting alone at Ellie's funeral, then walking into his house holding one balloon.

The music and images are beautiful and not a word of dialogue is spoken. I just watched it again on Youtube, and it made me cry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GroDErHIM_0

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 92
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 23/2/2011 11:41:15 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: foodage

Spoilers

Pixar have proven to be masters at dishing out magical movie moments. Just as the Disney Renaissance was coming to a close, Pixar stepped in with Toy Story and have been impressively consistent ever since. I wouldn't consider Up one of the strongest Pixar films (a testament to their catalogue), but the montage that spans from Carl and Ellie's wedding day to Ellie's death is heartbreaking and beautifully constructed.

We begin with the couple's wedding day, seeing Ellie's family whooping, cheering, dancing, with one member even firing a rifle into the air, whilst Carl's smaller turnout sit quietly clapping. We see them buying their first house, decorating it, working together at zoo towards their dream of going to South America. The couple are then devastated by the news that they are unable to have children together, but continue to live their lives, saving and hoping to some day make their journey together. Their savings are set back by various necessities and by the time that Carl organises the trip that they have planned for their whole lives, Ellie falls ill and is unable to go. The montage closes with Carl sitting alone at Ellie's funeral, then walking into his house holding one balloon.

The music and images are beautiful and not a word of dialogue is spoken. I just watched it again on Youtube, and it made me cry.

YES, I'm not the only one on here that will approve of this choice, either.

Gladiator, meanwhile, is one of my favourite ever films.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 93
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 24/2/2011 12:05:35 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Two excellent choices.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 94
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 24/2/2011 9:33:30 AM   
matty_b

I can't imagine anyone - except heartless bastards who probably drown kittens for "a laugh" - disagreeing with Up. Complete and utter brilliance.

quote:

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 95
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 24/2/2011 11:07:52 PM   
foodage

Picture speaks for itself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xa_db5l0q4Q

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 96
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 24/2/2011 11:14:55 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

Absolutely great line.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 97
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 25/2/2011 12:17:25 AM   
impqueen

quote:

Yay Ralph! Love this bit, in fact really love In Bruges, great stuff from all involved.  

Yes, always.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 98
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 25/2/2011 11:42:57 AM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

quote:

Spoilers

YES, I'm not the only one on here that will approve of this choice, either.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 99
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 25/2/2011 1:40:21 PM   
hugekent

Love this thread. Nothing better than discussing favourite moments in film. There should be an IMDB site for it in fact.

Can't believe Jurassic Park's T-Rex scene has already come up though. Easily top 10 for mine.

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 100
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 25/2/2011 2:19:20 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: hugekent

Love this thread. Nothing better than discussing favourite moments in film. There should be an IMDB site for it in fact.

Oh God no. It would just lead to someone insulting the other for liking that scene.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to hugekent)
Post #: 101
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 26/2/2011 8:04:33 PM   
foodage

At number 72 I've picked probably the most iconic musical number in cinema history. Gene Kelly twirling his umbrella and splashing in puddles performing “Singin' in the Rain” is a joy. It's been remixed, parodied and ripped off so many times, that I felt like I already knew the sequence inside out before I had even seen the film. A sequence that even the most stubborn of musical haters admit to liking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1ZYhVpdXbQ

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 102
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 26/2/2011 9:56:52 PM   
foodage

In my entry for The Orphanage I mentioned that there was a film that terrified me more than any other. Well this is it. The circumstances were just right when I watched this film. It was halloween, I was 15 years old, I was on my own in an empty house and it was late at night.

When it had finished I sort of wobbled towards the tv to turn it off, checking all round the room. Then I just lay in bed scared. The sort of fear that had me scared to even turn over in the bed in case I saw that face, which was burnt into my mind anyway. Just too scared to sleep, so I lay awake for hours, petrified.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 103
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 27/2/2011 12:38:49 AM   
FritzlFan

I was 12 when I first watched it. Easily the most terrifying film experience I've had. This no doubt contributed to me becoming the depraved maniac that I am today.

< Message edited by FritzlFan -- 27/2/2011 12:40:21 AM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 104
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 27/2/2011 2:19:26 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I like The Exorcist as a film but it didnt really scare me all that much... maybe I'm just too hardcore . It is one of the best horror film ever made though.

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 105
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 27/2/2011 6:04:26 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Up

In Bruges

Singing In The Rain

The Exorcist

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 106
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 27/2/2011 11:05:58 AM   
Rebenectomy

quote:

ORIGINAL: scarface666brooksy!!

I like The Exorcist as a film but it didnt really scare me all that much... maybe I'm just too hardcore . It is one of the best horror film ever made though.

In order to ensure a good scaring, all horrors regardless of content, should be watched before the age of 15.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to scarface666brooksy!!)
Post #: 107
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 27/2/2011 11:10:14 AM   
matty_b

Two more great choices.

quote:

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 108
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 27/2/2011 11:44:15 AM   
foodage

Spoilers

Maybe this one will be unpopular, I don't know. I thought 8 Mile was a really solid film, and this final battle scene was brilliant. Marshal Mathers (Eminem) plays Jimmy (B Rabbit) in this semi-autobiographical story of a man trying to make it as a rapper in Detroit. This scene is the championship rap battle, and he uses the unorthodox approaches of predicting everything his opponent will say, thus insulting himself. “I am a fucking bum, I do live in a trailer with my mom”. All set to the beat of one of the biggest hip hop tracks of 1995, “Shook Ones” by Mobb Deep. He ends his rap with “tell these people something they dont know about me”, throwing his opponent the mic, who is unable to respond. I'll make no secret of the fact that I've been an Eminem fan since I was about 12, more of his early stuff than his later work, and this was a film that I loved before I cared about films.

...Haters gonna hate?

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr70tgf7ccI&t=8m45s

< Message edited by foodage -- 1/3/2011 12:09:03 AM >

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 109
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 27/2/2011 11:54:42 AM   
Rebenectomy

I think that's a really good choice. Eminem and 8 Mile might not be to everyone's taste, but that particular scene does exactly what it's supposed to in the sense that you immediately ask yourself 'how could you respond to that?'

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 110
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 28/2/2011 12:14:46 AM   
Beetlejuice!

Wow foodage, I just came across this list and it's fantastic! Well done! Some of these scenes would easily make my top 100 as well.

The King of Comedy scene always cracks me up with the cardboard cutouts, originally Liza was going to be in the film but had to cancel so the cutouts were a genius replacement and probably make the whole thing even funnier. Pupkin hearing dialogue from the cutouts

Up is heartbreaking. Love and Death I just saw for the first time quite recently and it's highly amusing Allen. Love your pick for In Bruges.

Also I have the same problem with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I watched it with my boyfriend and he kept asking questions about the start and what was going on. Finally the end came and it all clicked but he just remained confused throughout the film rather than just letting it pass. I wouldn't have minded so much but its the bloody second time I've watched it with him.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 111
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 28/2/2011 3:16:09 PM   
foodage

Spoilers: Mild

I love De Niro's cheeky little chappy smile in this. He plays a Johnny Boy, a loveable little trouble maker who's pushing his luck with some loan sharks. This scene shows him being visited by a loan shark looking for money. After Johnny Boy offers him an insulting $10, it descends into a small scuffle with Johnny Boy eventually getting out his gun with a gleeful grin on his face.

"You're really somethin', you know that? You too good for this $10, huh? It's a good $10. You know somethin', Mikey? You make me laugh, you know that? I borrow money all over this neighborhood, left and right, from everybody, and I never paid 'em back. So I can't borrow no money from nobody no more, right? Who does that leave me to borrow money from but you? I borrow money from you because you're the only jerk off around that I could borrow money from without payin' back, right?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag9zbMV5URM

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 112
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 28/2/2011 11:50:33 PM   
foodage

This is my second moment from a Buster Keaton film, this time from his masterpiece “The General”. Strangely it is not a comic moment, but a breathtaking set piece. Set during the American Civil War, Buster Keaton plays Johnny, who is driving his beloved train the General, being perused by the northern army in another train called the Texas. However, Johnny attempts to stop the Texas by starting a fire behind him on the Rock River Bridge. Thinking that the bridge is not burned too badly, the northern army attempt to drive the Texas over the bridge but it collapses sending the Texas crashing into the river below.

When I saw this I just thought “hang on . . . did that just happen . . . did I just see that?”. I later found out that it is the most expensive stunt of the silent era. There is then a fantastic battle involving cannons, horses, gunfire, hundreds of extras and, of course, Buster Keaton being hilarious. I'm going to have to get this on Blu Ray.

Watch this clip on youtube in 720p. It's so spectacular. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmtXsWU9sEk

There are other great moments in this film that could have made this list. I love the bit when he is sitting on the side rods of the train, and he moves up and down as the train starts. Also when he sat on the front of a moving train and clears the track by throwing one wooden tie against the other. This is one of my favourite silent films.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 113
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 1/3/2011 5:55:27 AM   
scarface666brooksy!!

I bought and watched The General recently and I can honestly say it has some of the best stunts you will ever see in a film for one particular reason... it's all real baby. Buster Keaton is tremendous

My Aussie Film Thread - Film #7 - Patrick (1978)

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 114
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 1/3/2011 10:31:00 PM   
Beetlejuice!

De Niro's fantastic in Mean Streets, I also love the scene early on between him and Keitel in the backroom of the bar. It seems to be totally improvised and De Niro runs circles around Keitel.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 115
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 2/3/2011 12:30:32 PM   
Rhubarb

The General is a great call, and in a film of magnificent moments, that one is absolutely incredible.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to Beetlejuice!)
Post #: 116
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 3/3/2011 2:46:10 PM   
foodage

A Japanese school class who believed that they were going on a school trip, wake up in a classroom that they don't recognise with electronic collars around their necks. The scene class being told the rules of Battle Royale. “So today's lesson is, you kill each other off”.

One thing I love about this scene is the video that they show. It takes me back to school and how they used to show those awful videos about drugs or contraception. This time however the video is explaining the mortifying situation in which all but one of them will probably die, yet the video is so upbeat and enthusiastic. I love how the teacher reacts so gleefully to the video, clapping and responding aloud to what the woman is saying, and the children just stare in silence and horror.

The video is interrupted by the teacher then shouting “I said no whispering!”, then launching a knife into a girl's forehead. There's a great moment when the kids start running and screaming in response to their classmate's murder, and the camera does 360 degrees around the teacher who is stood quietly with a slight grin.

The kids are given a weapon each and sent off onto the island to battle it out.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 117
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 3/3/2011 3:22:47 PM   
matty_b

Another great choice.

quote:

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 118
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 3/3/2011 3:43:31 PM   
foodage

Being a Tarantino fan in 2011 does sometimes feel like any moment someone is gonna pop up and use my least favourite word in the English language: “overrated”. I'm sure some of you are of the opinion that he hasn't made a good film since the 90s, but for me, it's a name that still has me in the cinema as the first given opportunity.

Inglourious Basterds received a full spectrum of opinions, but one thing about it that most people seemed to agree on was the performance of Christoph Waltz as Hans Landa. He manages to jump from comedy to a frightening intensity with the same ease with which he jumps between languages.

The opening segment of the film, entitled “Once Upon a Time in Nazi Occupied France”, clearly a reference to the Sergio Leone films which influenced it, shows Landa interrogating a French Dairy farmer.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 119
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 3/3/2011 4:03:44 PM   
matty_b

I don't dislike Tarantino to the extent that others do on here, but nor do I get particularly enthused about his films.

I really enjoyed this one, though, and it's another great scene.

quote:

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI