Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 11/2/2011 12:34:19 PM   
FritzlFan

One of the most terrifying moments of any film, for me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 61
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 11/2/2011 12:44:02 PM   
rick_7

Not me. That's the first one in the list I've read and thought: "Load of old wank." Still, nicely written and the rest of it's been great.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 62
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 11/2/2011 5:43:22 PM   
foodage

To faster climb the ranks of the insurance company at which he works, C. C. Baxter lends out his apartment to various company managers. One evening he comes home after a long day's work, briefly waits outside for one manager and his latest woman to finish using the place, then goes inside for some dinner and television. Shortly after getting into bed he gets a phone call from a different manager asking if he can use the apartment that night, insisting that he cannot pass up the opportunity as the woman he is with looks like Marilyn Monroe. Reluctantly Baxter leaves the key under the doormat and goes to rest on a park bench.

This is not a big flashy scene. It is not overly dramatic or hilarious, it just very simply sets up the story. I'm not sure why I like it so much. It really just shows a man and how he lives his life, but the way it is executed is very amusing and entertaining. I really like Jack Lemmon. He's one of those actors that just has me smiling whenever he is on the screen.

< Message edited by foodage -- 11/2/2011 7:16:04 PM >

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 63
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 11/2/2011 10:37:41 PM   
FritzlFan

Is it just me who can't see the images?

I've still not seen The Apartment.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 64
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 12/2/2011 11:12:23 AM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

Is it just me who can't see the images?

Yeah. Open your eyes and try again.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 65
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 12/2/2011 11:24:53 AM   
foodage

Jurassic Park was one of the most important films to me as a kid. As far as I was concerned those were real dinosaurs I was seeing. My dreams and nightmares were filled with them.

I've purposefully limited this list to one scene per film and I was flipping between this scene and the one at the beginning when they first arrive and see the dinosaurs. In the end, it as the first T-Rex scene I went for.

The ripples in the water accompanied by the booming footsteps tell you that the big moment is coming, then the goat leg slams onto the of the car. The T-Rex explores the car for a while them comes through the sunroof, leaving just a sheet of glass between it and the kids.

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 66
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 12/2/2011 5:53:51 PM   
foodage

Spoilers

About 3 times a year I end up watching a film together with my parents and two sisters. A couple of months ago this happened and it was it was my turn to choose, which is sorta stressful. I chose Eternal Sunshine, which I love, but it didn't go well. About 10 minutes in I was getting "Is anything gonna happen in this film?", and then my dad seemed fairly angry when the opening titles came up at around the 16 minute mark. There were also long sighs throughout. So yeah I messed that up. I thought it would be a fairly diplomatic choice, if I knew it would get that reaction I would have hit them with some Ingmar Bergman or something, deal with that. Serves them right for making me watch Transformers 2 though.

I've chosen the scene from the train. I really rate Jim Carrey highly when he drops the funny faces and voices act. A simple meeting between a lonely awkward man and a kooky woman with blue hair. It's simple but so watchable. We later learn that this is in fact their second first meeting.

< Message edited by foodage -- 12/2/2011 6:16:52 PM >

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 67
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 12/2/2011 8:46:06 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: foodage

Serves them right for making me watch Transformers 2 though.

Sometimes I do actually advocate disowning family members. Great, great film though, and a perfect choice of scene as well.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 68
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 13/2/2011 12:11:15 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

ORIGINAL: foodage

I've purposefully limited this list to one scene per film and I was flipping between this scene and the one at the beginning when they first arrive and see the dinosaurs. In the end, it as the first T-Rex scene I went for.

The two best bits from a great film.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 69
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 13/2/2011 8:35:32 AM   
matty_b

I've never been overly fond of Jurassic Park, but that bit is fantastic.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 70
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 13/2/2011 9:19:49 PM   
foodage

Christian Bale plays Patrick Bateman (he likes to dissect girls. Did you know he's utterly insane?). Set in a 1980s Wall Street office, a massively materialistic environment, this scene depicts some office workers showing off their business cards, each man trying to better the last. A bubbling cauldron of smugness and jealousy. What I love is that the differences between the cards are almost imperceptible, and how much stress it causes Bateman as he sweats and trembles. ““I can't believe that Bryce prefers Van Patten's Card to mine” he says in a voice over. I think it's a really funny scene.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cISYzA36-ZY

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 71
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 14/2/2011 8:19:44 AM   
matty_b

Brilliant scene. Utterly hilarious.

quote:

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 72
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 14/2/2011 9:20:59 AM   
Pigeon Army

I have been quietly following this thread, and I agree with many of the scenes you've included. This is the first to make me say "Fuck yes what an amazing choice." This scene is brilliant, even if it's not the best scene in the film ("Do you like Huey Lewis and the News?" better be in here). Keep up the good work, foodage.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 73
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 14/2/2011 11:44:41 PM   
foodage

Ok, so this is a weird choice, admittedly. Miss Trunchbull is a scaaaary character. A former olympic hammer trower turned merciless school head mistress. I would have been about 8 when I saw this at the cinema and I remember how scary the idea of being locked in the Chokey was. I can't claim that the film is an utter masterpiece, but it was a childhood favourite.

This scene shows Miss Trunchbull entering a lesson and quizzing a girl on her spelling.

Miss Trunchbull: Can you spell?
Amanda Thripp: Miss Honey taught us how to spell a long word yesterday. We can spell "difficulty". 
Miss Trunchbull: You couldn't spell "difficulty" if your life depended on it. 
Amanda Thripp: She taught us with a poem. 
Miss Trunchbull: A poem? How sweet. What poem would that be? 
Amanda Thripp: Mrs. D, Mrs. I... (class joins in) Mrs. F-F-I, Mrs. C, Mrs. U., Mrs. L-T-Y! 

It makes this list because of one line:

“WHY ARE ALL THESE WOMEN MARRIED?”

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFdrYxYIdDI

< Message edited by foodage -- 15/2/2011 12:26:10 AM >

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 74
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 15/2/2011 5:40:49 PM   
foodage

Is there a more beautiful sight than a man wearing a mask made of human skin wielding a chainsaw at sunrise? After all the running and screaming is over, we are left with one of the best closing shots of the horror genre.

Sally is the last survivor of the group and escapes from the family of inbred cannibals through the window. She is rescued by a passing truck leaving Leatherface waving his chainsaw in anger.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVpx3Ai6ZZQ

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 75
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 17/2/2011 2:40:38 PM   
foodage

Keaton plays a projectionist accused of stealing a watch. Determined to find the real thief, he refers to his detective book which offers the advice “Shadow your man closely”. Taking this rather more literally than intended, he follows his suspect along the road just a pace behind him mirroring his every action. A great Buster Keaton film, his classic deadpan expression and cool performance are wonderful.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ech3Syf41LE

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 76
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 17/2/2011 3:12:00 PM   
matty_b

Haven't seen Matilda or Sherlock Jr, but the Texas Chain Saw Massacre ending is a great pick.

quote:

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 77
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 17/2/2011 3:56:53 PM   
Rhubarb

Oh I love love love Sherlock Jr, and that bit is absolutely brilliant. Great choice!

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 78
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 17/2/2011 6:33:50 PM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Three good scenes, especially Sherlock, though I couldn't pick just one moment from that.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 79
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 17/2/2011 8:01:47 PM   
foodage

Thanks for the comments, I appreciate them.

A common criticism I hear about De Niro is that he always does the same thing. When I hear that I always offer the counter argument: “King. Of. Comedy.” Personally I would say King of Comedy is the most overlooked and underrated of both Scorsese's filmography and De Niro's performances. For me it's up there with the best of them.

De Niro plays Rupert Pupkin, a deluded and desperate wannabe stand up comedian. In this scene he plays out a fantasy of appearing on a popular talk show. I'm sure plenty of people play out fantasies of sorts in their heads from time to time but here Pupkin enacts his fantasy aloud with cardboard cut outs of the host and his second guest Liza Minnelli.

My favourite moment the short pause as he looks at the cut out of Jerry Lewis, followed by hysterical laughter at the imagined zinger. “Oh, Jerry! I love this guy! Always coming up with these great lines!” he says kissing the cut out on the cheak, before being interrupted by his mother calling.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU6TBPQRM0c

Post #: 80
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 18/2/2011 8:01:37 AM   
matty_b

Brilliant choice.

quote:

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 81
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 18/2/2011 5:59:29 PM   
foodage

Spoilers: Mild

In the last 7 years, only one film has genuinely scared me, and that film was The Orphanage. I say seven years because it was seven years ago that I first saw the film that terrified me more than any other, but we'll come to that at a later entry. I think films with kids in are often the creepiest, and The Orphanage has got some creepy kids in. I remember having finished it, my t-shirt being damp with sweat. If only more horror films could create that response!

I think the best scene is the one where a medium is hired by the mother of a missing child to investigate the orphanage. The medium approaches the room where ghostly voices are getting louder, begging “We want you to open the door!”. The medium enters the room in utter horror, exclaiming “What have they done to you?”.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL3nIK2i4oo

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 82
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 18/2/2011 6:41:25 PM   
matty_b

Oh good God, yes. Just thinking of that scene gives me the chills.

quote:

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 83
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 19/2/2011 1:42:48 PM   
foodage

Stan and Ollie have to deliver a piano, but find the house to be at the top of a loooooong flight of stairs. On the way up meet a woman going down the stairs with a pram. As they try and squeeze past each other, the piano slides right back to the bottom of the stairs, much to the woman's amusement. The classic kick up the arse is a comedy tradition going back to the silent days. It's page one of the comedy manual. In this scene Stan Laurel executes a textbook kick up the arse. Right in the middle of her daily duties.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 84
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 20/2/2011 12:10:38 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Yes! Absolutely brilliant moment from a film packed with them. I hope we see more Laurel and Hardy in the future.

Much more better!

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 85
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 20/2/2011 7:01:22 PM   
foodage

Spoilers

I've never hated a character more than Percy in The Green Mile. He fills me with murderous rage. This scene shows him refraining from wetting a sponge in preparation for an execution, thus causing a slow, painful and frankly terrifying death for inmate Eduard Delacroix as the spectators watch in horror. I'm getting angry just typing this. We also see the other inmates, Wild Bill, played be the great Sam Rockwell, bouncing off the walls yelling “He's cooking now!”, and the huge John Coffey screaming in apparent pain. I guess the film splits opinions somewhat. My friend considers this the worst film ever made.

Watch here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5fQmeY1LtA

Post #: 86
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 21/2/2011 2:27:54 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Percy is loathsome, utterly irredeemable. Has Hutchison ever played a good guy? Great choice.

Much more better!

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 87
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 21/2/2011 6:22:15 PM   
foodage

Although it's not my favourite Woody Allen movie, it's probably the one at which I laughed the most. It's got so many funny moments, and this is one that every now and then I will just watch on youtube because it has me laughing every time.

Watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LboBvMaGcbY

Post #: 88
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 22/2/2011 6:15:22 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I've never seen the film but just watched the clip. When it cuts back to Allen and he's covered his face with the fan I took off laughing

Much more better!

(in reply to foodage)
Post #: 89
RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments - 23/2/2011 12:08:55 AM   
foodage

Spoilers

Right, admit it, this scene is epic.

Commodus has weaselled his way onto the throne and believes Max to be dead by his order. Max has been getting a reputation as being a bit of an awesome dude, however his identity is still a secret. After leading the gladiators to victory in the Colosseum he is introduced to Commodus in the middle of the arena, who demands he removes his helmet. We then get the words:

“My name is Maximus Decimus Meridius, commander of the Armies of the North, General of the Felix Legions, loyal servant to the true emperor, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a murdered son, husband to a murdered wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_-p3Z4Ofy0

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Foodage's 100 Favourite Movie Moments Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI