Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Dark Souls

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Dark Souls Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dark Souls - 25/2/2012 10:30:26 PM   
Dark Knight

Take that Ornstein and Smough! HA!

Take that Knight Lautrec and give me back my fecking fire-keeper soul! HA! (note to self:- kill the bastard at Firelink Shrine next playthrough!)

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 241
RE: Dark Souls - 26/2/2012 1:04:21 PM   
Dark Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: Proudfoot

Came out from a boss fight with 90000 souls last night. Yeah, fuck you Priscilla!

The elation can't be described.

Felt the same way when I summoned two dudes a few nights ago and we tore through loads and loads of bastards like a damn tornado. Thank you random two dudes.

This game is so amazing.

Just chinned the bitch myself! Panicking about what to do with the 150000 souls I have on me now - btw Painted World of Aramis looks to be a amazing place to grind easy souls. I am off to get my pyromancy upto +15 (tis +12 at the mo) and buy the last of the spells.

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 242
RE: Dark Souls - 26/2/2012 2:18:00 PM   
Proudfoot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dark Knight

Just chinned the bitch myself! Panicking about what to do with the 150000 souls I have on me now - btw Painted World of Aramis looks to be a amazing place to grind easy souls. I am off to get my pyromancy upto +15 (tis +12 at the mo) and buy the last of the spells.

Yeah, either you have no souls and you're trying to get the ones you used to have back, or you have lots and can't decide exactly what to do with them.

I've definitely done a whole lot of stuff wrong. For instance, my only somewhat decent weapon I've upgraded, is a raw halberd +1. And I've got no magic to speak of.

I've still managed to survive though, by throwing lots and lots of souls into health and stamina whenever I hit a wall. Might be a cheap not very elegant approach, but I'm still here, truckin' along, so it's good enough for me.

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 243
RE: Dark Souls - 26/2/2012 3:18:25 PM   
Dark Knight

Well, you can't escape the Painted World until you clear it so most of those souls came from attempted run-thrus, although I did get summoned once and I managed to kill a dark phantom. Add that to the boss souls and it adds up to quite a lot.

I now have the my Pryomancy Flame +2 Ascended and when using Firestorm, which I purchased from the master pryo trainer in Blighttown, it destroys the large mobs surrounding the statue in Painted World with one hit, gaining at least 8000+ souls at a time.  Not bad for a couple of minutes work. Going to grind it for a short while, so that I buy the Twinkling Titanite needed to fully upgraded the entire set of Black Iron armour that I now wear.

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 244
RE: Dark Souls - 26/2/2012 3:52:02 PM   
SWOTBM

I got stuck in the Painted World for ages as I couldn't find any bonfires and tried to complete the level with only 1 Estus flask, then I realised I kept walking past the bonfire   Felt a bit sorry for killing Priscilla, she just stood there and asked me politely to leave, but I couldn't help attacking her 

I find that boss weapons are not as powerful as a fully upgraded enchanted/lightning/chaos weapons.  I'm currently using a Enchanted Lucerne+5 and it does 550 damage, although that is with 41 Int and the majority of the damage is Magic so anyone with good magic defense holds up pretty well against it.  But that's when I bust out the Lifehunt Scythe

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

Post #: 245
RE: Dark Souls - 26/2/2012 9:26:51 PM   
Dark Knight

I do NOT like New Londo Ruins

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 246
RE: Dark Souls - 3/3/2012 1:01:39 AM   
SWOTBM

Just read some really interesting articles relating to Dark Souls.  Firstly is an excellent piece on the difficulty of DS, what makes it so difficult etc.  Specifically focusing on Senn's Fortress:

http://kotaku.com/5874599/what-dark-souls-is-really-all-about

This article, whilst using DS as the main target of the writer's frustration, asks the question of whether 100-hour games are worthwhile:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/gaming/2012/02/dark_souls_review_is_a_100_hour_video_game_ever_worthwhile_.html

The response, by an editor from Edge, is as follows:

http://www.edge-online.com/opinion/opinion-long-live-long-rpg

All three are long articles, but very good reads imo.  Plus the last one kinda vindicates my 120+ hours I've spent on DS

Post #: 247
RE: Dark Souls - 3/3/2012 10:12:07 AM   
kata

There was 1 area that really pissed me off because it was unfairly difficult, until i got an item. Then it was just difficult. Not going to mention where or what it was cos I don't want to spoil anyone.

Spoiler text: Tomb of Giants under the Catacombs, pitch black infuriating nightmare!

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 248
RE: Dark Souls - 3/3/2012 1:21:24 PM   
kata

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

Just read some really interesting articles relating to Dark Souls.  Firstly is an excellent piece on the difficulty of DS, what makes it so difficult etc.  Specifically focusing on Senn's Fortress:

http://kotaku.com/5874599/what-dark-souls-is-really-all-about

This article, whilst using DS as the main target of the writer's frustration, asks the question of whether 100-hour games are worthwhile:

http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/gaming/2012/02/dark_souls_review_is_a_100_hour_video_game_ever_worthwhile_.html

The response, by an editor from Edge, is as follows:

http://www.edge-online.com/opinion/opinion-long-live-long-rpg

All three are long articles, but very good reads imo.  Plus the last one kinda vindicates my 120+ hours I've spent on DS

Quality reads.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 249
RE: Dark Souls - 23/3/2012 5:27:37 PM   
Dark Knight

Acheived 2 milestones for myself last night - first all I managed to beat Bed Of Chaos - was a complete bitch for me as I kept trying to get and time the jump right. Second milestone and the one I am most proud of in the game, is unlocking ALL Pyromancies, which means I now throw a mighty P/Flame +3.  

Been reading up about this Uchigatana which seems like a decent weapon to upgrade along a divine path, but it appears that I have to kill the undead merchant for it being as I am a member of the Chaos Servant+2 convenant and therefore told the Forest Hunter's to do one. Do not know if I wish to kill an NPC to get a sword.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 250
RE: Dark Souls - 24/3/2012 3:15:08 PM   
Proudfoot

Because I'm retarded I bought a new PS3 when my old one died, plugged it and started playing Mass Effect...

But now I'm finished with that game and want to return to Dark Souls, only I of course don't have my savegame. Yes, like I said, retarded...

Can I plug the old one in, get that PS3 + thing, upload my saves online then plug the new machine in and continue my Dark Souls game?

"We must never forget that we are human, and as humans we dream, and when we dream we dream of money."

Post #: 251
RE: Dark Souls - 24/3/2012 3:25:36 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

Because I'm retarded I bought a new PS3 when my old one died, plugged it and started playing Mass Effect...

But now I'm finished with that game and want to return to Dark Souls, only I of course don't have my savegame. Yes, like I said, retarded...

Can I plug the old one in, get that PS3 + thing, upload my saves online then plug the new machine in and continue my Dark Souls game?

Depends, does your old PS3 still work or do you have a back-up of your HDD?

I tried to copy my saves individually via USB across to my brother's PS3 but the saves are copy protected.  The only way I can see it working is if you back up the whole of your old PS3 system and then upload it to your new PS3 (making sure you take a copy of any saves you may have on your new PS3 as they will be wiped when you upload the data to your new PS3).  But if you old PS3 is broken and you have no back-up of the old PS3 then I think you may be screwed. 

Don't know about the online cloud saves, may work but you need a PS+ sub and I'm still not sure if that will get around the copy protection on the Dark Souls save files. 

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 252
RE: Dark Souls - 24/3/2012 3:41:43 PM   
Proudfoot

quote:

quote:

I tried to copy my saves individually via USB across to my brother's PS3 but the saves are copy protected.  The only way I can see it working is if you back up the whole of your old PS3 system and then upload it to your new PS3 (making sure you take a copy of any saves you may have on your new PS3 as they will be wiped when you upload the data to your new PS3).  But if you old PS3 is broken and you have no back-up of the old PS3 then I think you may be screwed. 

Don't know about the online cloud saves, may work but you need a PS+ sub and I'm still not sure if that will get around the copy protection on the Dark Souls save files. 

The old one sort of still works. It can't play any discs at all, but I can get it to run.

Did not know about this copy protection thing and I would prefer not to back up and upload the whole old system (mainly because that sounds very complicated and I don't want to wipe anything).

I figured I could just upload that one save I need and then play along on my new one, but it seems that's not the case.

Bummer.

Might start a new game, but not right away. It would just be too painful at this point.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 253
RE: Dark Souls - 24/3/2012 4:10:09 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

quote:

quote:

The old one sort of still works. It can't play any discs at all, but I can get it to run.

Did not know about this copy protection thing and I would prefer not to back up and upload the whole old system (mainly because that sounds very complicated and I don't want to wipe anything).

I figured I could just upload that one save I need and then play along on my new one, but it seems that's not the case.

Bummer.

Might start a new game, but not right away. It would just be too painful at this point.

It's not all that complicated, but it does require a external USB HDD and a bit of patience.  Plug in the HDD and go to System>System settings>Back/restore data (something like that anyway).  The steps are straightforward and it's not like it will remove any programmes or anything, it's just like putting all the data of your old PS3 onto your new PS3 (with the caveat of removing all the game saves on your new PS3- though like I said most of these can be backed up individually on USB provided there is no copy protection). 

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 254
RE: Dark Souls - 24/3/2012 4:21:09 PM   
Proudfoot

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bummer.

It's not all that complicated, but it does require a external USB HDD and a bit of patience.  Plug in the HDD and go to System>System settings>Back/restore data (something like that anyway).  The steps are straightforward and it's not like it will remove any programmes or anything, it's just like putting all the data of your old PS3 onto your new PS3 (with the caveat of removing all the game saves on your new PS3- though like I said most of these can be backed up individually on USB provided there is no copy protection). 

It sounds a little complicated. I'm one of those people who needs help with my PC, you know, like old people.

But I will maybe look into buying one or two of those USB HDD things and try it out, since 80 some hours just gone is so heartbreaking.

Thanks a lot.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 255
RE: Dark Souls - 25/3/2012 11:42:25 AM   
Dark Knight

Good Luck dude - I think I am about to finish it for the first time after logging in almost 80 hours on my character. I would be crying if I lost that.

(in reply to Proudfoot)
Post #: 256
RE: Dark Souls - 28/3/2012 4:54:25 PM   
Dark Knight

Well, after 88 hours and 98 levels, on Monday evening I finished my first run-thru of Dark Souls - lit the bonfire after the final boss (made stunningly easy via the assistance of 2 co-op helpers) and watched the final cut-scene.

Within minutes was playing it again after being thrust staright back into the action - back to the undead burg. I fashioned myself the Greatshield Of Artorias and it rocks. Nothing gets thru, although I will wait to see what NG+ holds. NG+ is pretty easy to the moment having already rung the first bell and reached the first blacksmith within an hour, but I fear harder enemies await.

Decided to join as many covenants as I can on this run-thru, before taking the other ending.

Awesome game - one of the best, most challenging, most rewarding gaming experiences I have ever had on any gaming system.

Post #: 257
RE: Dark Souls - 28/3/2012 4:58:48 PM   
Peter Griffin

quote:

Well, after 88 hours and 98 levels, on Monday evening I finished my first run-thru of Dark Souls - lit the bonfire after the final boss (made stunningly easy via the assistance of 2 co-op helpers) and watched the final cut-scene.

Within minutes was playing it again after being thrust staright back into the action - back to the undead burg. I fashioned myself the Greatshield Of Artorias and it rocks. Nothing gets thru, although I will wait to see what NG+ holds. NG+ is pretty easy to the moment having already rung the first bell and reached the first blacksmith within an hour, but I fear harder enemies await.

Decided to join as many covenants as I can on this run-thru, before taking the other ending.

Awesome game - one of the best, most challenging, most rewarding gaming experiences I have ever had on any gaming system.

Sold.

"No point in mentioning these bats, I thought. Poor bastard will see them soon enough."

"Me and Pete Griffin would make a beautiful Dead Space ass kicking baby."

Post #: 258
RE: Dark Souls - 28/3/2012 5:36:22 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

Would you say it's better than Demon's Souls?

Personally I think it's technically and artistically better in almost every sense, but the first time I played Demon's Souls it was so new and fresh that the experience is very hard to beat.  I would say that if you are going into Dark Souls blind then it would beat Demon's Souls hands down, but for me I still think the original edges it slightly due to the emotional attachment. 

Post #: 259
RE: Dark Souls - 28/3/2012 8:27:09 PM   
Proudfoot

quote:

Personally I think it's technically and artistically better in almost every sense, but the first time I played Demon's Souls it was so new and fresh that the experience is very hard to beat.  I would say that if you are going into Dark Souls blind then it would beat Demon's Souls hands down, but for me I still think the original edges it slightly due to the emotional attachment. 

I feel the same way. Dark Souls is probably better, the interconnected world is genius, but playing Demon's Souls for the very first time, trying to get a handle on that damn thing, just felt so new.

But of course I never beat that game either, despite putting many, many hours into it, so what do I know.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 260
RE: Dark Souls - 29/3/2012 11:57:34 AM   
Dark Knight

quote:

quote:

Unfair, that is like asking which one of your children is your favourite!

As you say Dark Souls is so much better on a technical level than Demon Souls but having played Demon Souls, we pretty much knew what we were in for, and that is why I can see your saying that the original edges it. Dark Souls is bigger and better, but Demon Souls did it first....... I mean, I still get cold sweats when I think about the time I lost on the Armor Spider in Stonefang Tunnel, before finding the alcove, in Demon Souls.

Both rate as some of my favourite ever games.....

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 261
RE: Dark Souls - 11/4/2012 8:41:45 PM   
SWOTBM

Good news for PC gamers:

http://uk.pc.gamespy.com/pc/dark-souls/1222756p1.html

Slightly jealous that they are getting new content as well, but I think this will be released to consoles soon after anyway. 

Post #: 262
RE: Dark Souls - 1/6/2012 1:08:11 PM   
SWOTBM

It was obvious that the DLC would come to consoles- and it will

http://kotaku.com/5914504/dark-souls-coming-to-steam-computer-dlc-coming-to-consoles

Apparently the DLC is titled Artorias of the Abyss. Part of the reason I love this game is how they do more with less in terms of the story- but I will make an exception in this case

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 263
RE: Dark Souls - 12/6/2012 9:14:48 PM   
BigKovacs

Finally finished it, thank fuck. Was a lame ending and I won't be playing a second run through but good game, I'm glad I stuck with it.

Gamertag: Cambo1979.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 264
RE: Dark Souls - 18/8/2012 12:07:52 PM   
SWOTBM

Holy crap. New trailer for the DLC. They sure know how to make a trailer that appeals to the fanboys So many things to love about it; music, backstory tidbits, hawkeye gough, artorias, oolacile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcfg0ZZhJnQ

.......but I want to understand now

(in reply to BigKovacs)
Post #: 265
RE: Dark Souls - 20/8/2012 11:02:10 AM   
st3veebee

Going to preorder this on the PC soon. Looks like fantastic, if bloody difficult, fun.

Can't wait!

Latest Films:

Two days in New York: 4/5

Prometheus: 3.5/5

Abe Lincoln: VH 3/5

Twin Peaks: FWWM 3.5/5

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 266
Dark Souls II Announced - 8/12/2012 5:50:41 PM   
SWOTBM

Teaser trailer from the VGAs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPJaJ5ys_G0

Praise the sun!

(in reply to st3veebee)
Post #: 267
RE: Dark Souls II Announced - 8/12/2012 8:01:02 PM   
JAYDAK1SS

quote:

Praise the sun!

Black Jesus!!!:

I rode into town on an ass

Yo mommas ass

Black Jesus!!!!!

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 268
RE: Dark Souls II Announced - 9/12/2012 8:15:10 PM   
Dark Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAYDAK1SS

quote:

Praise the sun!

OH

MY

GOD!

Praise the Sun!!

(in reply to JAYDAK1SS)
Post #: 269
RE: Dark Souls II Announced - 16/12/2012 1:59:45 PM   
Proudfoot

It took me a couple of hundred hours, spanning several different character attempts and one major setback, but I finally beat this goddamn game!! Such a satisfying feeling, it's quite unlike anything I've experienced before with any other game.

Even if the sequel does turn out to be a little easier and casual, it won't change what a great game this is.

I'm already deep into new game + and I haven't played the DLC, so I'm sure I have many more hours to look forward to. Or get frustrated by...

Goddamn game, you're fickle one.

Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Dark Souls Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI