Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon Souls

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon Souls Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 2:13:07 AM   
kata

Just got my tits handed to me by the Gargoyles, good time to call it a night.  Spent quite a while lost, wandering a deadly forest tonight...

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 61
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 4:44:31 AM   
TrendMeUp

I finally got my hands on this today. It's very daunting. The game gives you so little to go on. I started as a Cleric but I pretty much ruined my game as I found the NPC with the silver armour (the one who gives you info immediately after the crow drops you off) to be very annoying and attacked him. Turns out he is a lot tougher than me and proceeded to kick my ass. And then I respawned. And he kicked my ass again. And again. After about 15 attempts of trying to kill him and not even denting his health I started a new game.

So I am now a Knight and am doing pretty well. I love how much of a beating I can take. I've died a couple of times on the Taurus Demon but I'm pretty sure I've worked out how to beat it. I've got to grips with parry and riposte and am finding it very handy.

One question: I've seen next to nothing of the online features yet. Do you have to get certain items to activate them? I'm confused as to how it works.

Also, is there a way to sell unwanted items?

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 62
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 9:39:36 AM   
SWOTBM

^^^  Stick with it dude.  Once you get the hang of the mechanics you get sucked in.  I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the amount of interest that this game has got so far and I think credit has to go to Namco for making more of a marketing push.  I remember the Demon's Souls thread being a rather lonely affair

You probably have seen some glimpses of the online features- e.g. bloodstains, messages, ghosts etc.  But to fully experience the online world you do need to find certain items and meet certain parameters.  Plus I think the community is quite small at the moment (open question: are servers regional or international?) so that might be why co-op opportunities are still limited.  Re unwanted items- if it's anything like Demon's Souls then I would think not.  That would make it too easy

Also, general tip which I have found quite useful; enemies are more often than not strategically placed.  Try luring them out and fighting them on the ground you want to fight on; e.g. a staircase is a recipe for disaster, bait him downstairs an fight him on a landing. 

SPOILERS:

Defeated the bell gargoyles.  They weren't too bad actually, although when the second one appeared I had nightmares of the Maneater all over again   Their attacks were fairly predictable and I found that if you kept them on the high middle part of the roof you can evade most of their attacks by rolling on the slopes below them.  Also, I two-handed my longsword (now +2 ) and I found that it is possible to interrupt their attacks if you hit them with at least two or three blows. 

< Message edited by SWOTBM -- 30/3/2012 11:20:28 PM >

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 63
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 12:59:21 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

I'm actually pleasantly surprised at the amount of interest that this game has got so far and I think credit has to go to Namco for making more of a marketing push.  I remember the Demon's Souls thread being a rather lonely affair

Not to mention it's multi-platform now. So I imagine a lot of Xbox 360 owners going for it.

Not sure what I want to pick it up on ... but I will be buying this at some point. Just too many games to deal with at the moment anyway. But I will buy and not rent as it appears to something you have to commit to and plough hours into ... so no point dipping my toes in.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 64
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 1:15:49 PM   
Dark Knight

Probably old news but just looted an item that cures poison - Purple Moss Clump - dropped from one of the tree people/things in Darkroot Garden.

I have no idea if I am going in the right way through the game as it far more open-worlded than Demon Souls and quite easy to spend time aimlessly wandering about but I have ended up running from most other places, barely escaping with my life. I even managed to wake a sleeping dragon up in the Valley of the Drakes. Needless to say, he was less than impressed but killed me in 2 shots, but not before I had picked up another sword and shield. Sometimes a death is worth it....

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 65
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 1:50:29 PM   
kata

I had a nightmare experience in Darkroot,  got severely lost and spent ages trying to get out.  Ended up fighting a boss i had no business fighting at this stage, only went through the fog to get away from a Golem...  Gotta say, despite my setbacks I'm really loving it.

Here's me atm...

Going to carry on down the sword and board  route and add a little magic. Heal and magic shield for certain.

Lovely detective work.

Post #: 66
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 1:56:47 PM   
thepluginbaby

Trying to get past the gargoyles at the moment. Had a crack at them yesterday and managed to cut the tail off the first which gave me this massive axe!

Also had a little wander through the wood bit, got to the big valley opening saw fiery giant ent type things and respectfully turned the other way... Maybe later...

< Message edited by thepluginbaby -- 9/10/2011 1:57:28 PM >

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 67
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 2:17:12 PM   
Dark Knight

The Ent type things and what follows have caused me to seriously look at other characters - my cleric just does not have enough armour for my liking. It is no good having a healing spell if a couple of attacks wipe you out.

Anyways - just launching a few other characters and I must say that anyone using the Knight is a braver man than I - they must move FAR too slowly for my liking. Rolling a wanderer at the moment to see what gives on that side of things before I try a mage.

This happened in Demon Souls, the fact that I must have spent a good while searching for a build that I felt comfortable with and I feel that I may have levelled my Cleric up badly so it is no loss if I dont use them for a while again. The true beauty of this game and it's predecessor is the fact that YOUR game char can start and go in any direction.

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 68
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 2:37:24 PM   
kata

** Spoilers **

Heard rumour on the grapevine of a ring that reduces your equip load by 50%, think I'm going to have to hunt that down.

Lovely detective work.

Post #: 69
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 3:01:55 PM   
Dark Knight

It looks like having a Humanity score in your top left corner (the number that usually says 00) increases your item discovery stat - which by my logic increases the stat for decent loot drops.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 70
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 3:17:17 PM   
kata

Just killed the gargoyles.  There was a LOT of blood stains on that roof!

Lovely detective work.

Post #: 71
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 4:08:11 PM   
kata

Anyone know of any way to get the heal miracle without joining the way of the white covenant?

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 72
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 4:10:32 PM   
SWOTBM

Spoilers:

^^^  Fair few of those would belong to me   Btw, the gold pine resin (aka lightning buff) does wonders against those gargoyles 

Anyways, I'm currently still rocking my Thief class and at level 21 I think I've reached a bit of an impasse.  I was exploring the garden area and I stumbled across a HUGE (emphasis on huge) five or six headed sea monster type thing, which pretty much destroyed me.  Didn't stop me from going back for a second attempt though   But the other routes (Valley of the Drakes and the fog door that leads to the clearing with those dudes that slow you down ) seem to be rather difficult....  Another thing, when accessing the gardens has anyone managed to kill that headless stone statue that shoots lightning?

EDIT: I love that shield too, 100% physical damage protection FTW

< Message edited by SWOTBM -- 9/10/2011 4:13:11 PM >

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 73
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 4:24:09 PM   
kata

Just got one shotted by the guy that drops the weight reduction ring lol.

** Covenant spoilers **

Anyone given any thought to who (if any) they are joining?  Been looking at the Forest hunter, which allows you to invade and kill (for souls and rewards) people who enter the forest realm.  Or Darkmoon, which allows you to hunt people in the book of the guilty.

It's looking like i might have to join the way of the white, buy my miracles then leave and spend thousands of souls on absolution.

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 74
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 4:32:08 PM   
kata

Also, how do you help other people online?  I've seen the marks to summon people but haven't figured out how to write my own.

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 75
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 4:45:07 PM   
TrendMeUp

You write your own with a certain item. Some guy gave me one by the bridge with the dragon after you fight the Taurus Demon.

*Earlyish Spoilers*

Did anyone get the incredible sword from the red dragon that guards the bridge? You go under the bridge and shoot at its tail with a bow and he drops a Drake Sword. 200 Power. Need 16 Strength to wield it one handed, but wielding it two handed gives you a defense bonus. I've been levelling my Strength and I'm now using it one handed.

I think the game is fantastic. Insanely addictive. I love the messages idea and people have actually really helped me by leaving them. It's good that the game isn't too flooded with them either. I've just been through the Undead Parish, but I picked up two keys in there that I didn't use: a Basement Key and a Mystery Key. I kind of exited the area by mistake on a lift that took me back to the Fire Shrine thing where you start. Should I go back in to try and find the doors that these keys are for?

I beat my first Black Knight earlier. Actually shouted in triumph haha. I'm level 17 and am loving the Knight. He is very slow but the armour is great. I've basically levelled him as a tank and I'm doing pretty well.

More questions: What is the benefit of using Humanity to become human again? Does it make you stronger or something? And is there any point at all in carrying loot that I'm not going to equip? Or should I just drop it? ALSO, do weapons become weaker as they deteriorate, or are they just either working or broken?

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 76
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 4:54:27 PM   
kata

quote:

ORIGINAL: TrendMeUp

You write your own with a certain item. Some guy gave me one by the bridge with the dragon after you fight the Taurus Demon.

Did anyone get the incredible sword...

And is there any point at all in carrying loot that I'm not going to equip?

Can you remember what it's called?  I know the guy you mean, think he just helped me kill the Gargoyles but I don't remember getting an item from him.  He's not there when in Human form, will have to go back later as undead and see if he's there.

Yeah I got the sword, some helpful chap left messages saying something like shoot the tail/try ranged. 

I think you can sell loot for souls later on, not 100% though.  Plus any loot you drop invades other players worlds as vagrants (crab like things), which also have a chance to drop improved versions of the loot you left I think.

< Message edited by kata -- 9/10/2011 4:56:48 PM >

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 77
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 4:59:34 PM   
TrendMeUp

quote:

ORIGINAL: kata

quote:

Can you remember what it's called?  I know the guy you mean, think he just helped me kill the Gargoyles but I don't remember getting an item from him.  He's not there when in Human form, will have to go back later as undead and see if he's there.

Yeah I got the sword, some helpful chap left messages saying something like shoot the tail/try ranged. 

I think you can sell loot for souls later on, not 100% though.  Plus any loot you drop invades other players worlds as vagrants (crab like things), which also have a chance to drop improved versions of the loot you left I think.

I can't I'm afraid. It's a white stone of some kind. He spoke to me about being hollowed so maybe you do need to be Undead?

Yeah there was a lot of messages about shooting the tail around there ha. The sword is really good and I used it to go back to the start and kill that DICK in the silver armour who ruined my game before. Felt so good

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 78
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 5:01:11 PM   
Dark Knight

quote:

quote:

Can you remember what it's called? 

White Sign Soapstone.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 79
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 5:05:07 PM   
thepluginbaby

Spoilers

Destroyed the two gargoyles, Gold Pine Resin did wonders against the blighters. Let out a massive warcry as per usual, from the rooftop of the parish it was heard throughout all the land.

I'm now wondering where to go next. As I posted earlier, the forest seems like a natural progression, preferably the route that doesn't involve the ent like creatures. I've got as far as the white veil door, but have been too scared to enter...

I have been exploring around the area a bit more, mainly the starting area. I'm level 20 now so I went into the graveyard to raid some of the goodies, skeletons aren't much of an obstacle but there are giant skeletons (Drake sword came in useful) to destroy for about 500 souls. There is also a staircase which leads to an underground crypt area which I ventured down, but there seem to be some skeletons supported by flying skulls which then resurrect said skeletons after you've destroyed them. Regardless, I respectfully declined to go further.

Then there was the hollow of which you can access by taking the lift down (its below the first bonfire). Seemed okay, a lot of idle dredges, which aren't too hard to take out, but as you go over the bridge it becomes clear that there are now ghosts, which I believe you need curses in order to kill them... Respectfully, I declined to go any further. May take the forest route after all...

Good game though... Just going to man up a bit and persevere through whatever hellish bit comes next.  

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 80
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 5:07:22 PM   
Dark Knight

By the way - just a word of caution - always be mindfull of your wireless controller running out of power!

The game doesn't stop whilst you are fumbling for another battery.

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 81
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 8:31:58 PM   
kata

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dark Knight

quote:

quote:

Can you remember what it's called? 

White Sign Soapstone.

Cheers.

Lovely detective work.

Post #: 82
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 10/10/2011 1:52:15 AM   
kata

Got the weight reduction ring which is letting me equip any crazy armour I like atm...

Bonkers, the back reminds me of the predator though.  Hope it doesn't get replaced.

Just beat the Capra demon (sp), put my summon mark down to help other people but it disappears when you move too far away.

< Message edited by kata -- 10/10/2011 1:57:09 AM >

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 83
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 10/10/2011 1:00:28 PM   
thepluginbaby

Stuck on the Capra demon... I know my priority lies with taking out the dogs first, but I usually end up getting all three enemies attacking me as I dash to the stairs. 

"Must go faster..."

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 84
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 10/10/2011 1:19:04 PM   
TrendMeUp

I've attempted the Capra Demon over 20 times now. The few times I've come close to killing it have just been down to luck. It's thoroughly putting me off the game to be honest. I understand it's supposed to be a very hard game, but there's no skill involved to beating this thing. Jump back from the first attack, kill the first dog, try and get to the stairs and either get wiped out on the way or he just sprints up the stairs after me and hits me 4 or 5 times in as many seconds. Given me a headache.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 85
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 10/10/2011 1:28:19 PM   
kata

I died quite a lot.  I beat him by rushing in past him and the dogs up the stairs.  Took out the dogs then when he followed me up I jumped down.  He followed down and I went back up and dropped off the side doing a plunging slice attack thing, did that a few times.  That plunging slice is really powerful, used it on a  few hard dudes so far. 

Was pretty desperate myself when I finally did it, that's why i put down the summon sign to help but it disappeared.

EDIT:  Yeah that fella you guys mentioned gave me the summon stone when i was in undead form, thanks guys.

< Message edited by kata -- 10/10/2011 1:31:11 PM >

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 86
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 10/10/2011 2:33:28 PM   
TrendMeUp

WAAAH HA HAAAA I DID IT!

3 hours of non stop attempts. I don't even know what this stupid key I got is for but I DID IIIT.

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 87
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 10/10/2011 2:41:38 PM   
kata

Sweet!  How did you do it?

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 88
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 10/10/2011 2:56:15 PM   
TrendMeUp

*Tactical spoilers for boss fight*

When I entered I waited for him to go for that big unblockable jumping attack he always does straight away, then jumped back and it missed me. Whacked the first dog when it came for me and then instead of dashing up the stairs I locked on to the demon and slowly walked backwards up them so I could block all of his attacks. Kept going up and dropping down until I had a good shot at the second dog and killed that one. Then just kept leading him up the stairs, still slowly walking backwards so I could block, and everytime he jumped down he staggered a bit when he landed which gave me chance to get 3 or 4 good shots in. Ended up only using about 3 flasks. Phew

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 89
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 10/10/2011 2:56:46 PM   
SWOTBM

I'm yet to meet this Capra   Can't wait to get home and play this game....

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon Souls Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI