Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon Souls

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon Souls Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 5/10/2011 9:56:09 AM   
Ell

ShopTo have just dispatched my Day One edition! Although I made this pre-order when it was first available and I have still yet to complete Demon's Souls. There goes my social life

"I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!!!"

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 31
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 6/10/2011 1:34:44 PM   
Dark Knight

Just installing it now on the 360 (should only take a few mins) and then after selecting which character class to be - most likely Warrior so that I can start with decent dexterity - and I am going to....

Prepare to die..........again.........and again........and again..........

< Message edited by Dark Knight -- 6/10/2011 1:35:10 PM >

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 32
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 6/10/2011 2:00:53 PM   
SWOTBM

Mine didn't arrive today, even though it was posted yesterday 

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 33
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 6/10/2011 5:35:00 PM   
Dark Knight

This is stating the obvious, but, fuck me - this is hard!

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 34
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 7/10/2011 2:20:02 AM   
thepluginbaby

Got my copy today. Certainly feels like Demon's Souls in difficulty and risk and reward, but there are more bosses and the world feels more open rather than level based. Already defeated a couple of bosses, beat the Taurus demon on the castle wall and let out a massive victory warcry when I won, but I think he's small fry to what is coming next : (

Is it just me or is the targeting a little rubbish when compared to the last game? You can't seem to switch between enemies as well, which makes fighting multiple enemies a lot harder than it could be.

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to Invader_Ace)
Post #: 35
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 7/10/2011 12:05:06 PM   
SWOTBM

My body is ready. 

Marathon session commencing. 

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 36
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 7/10/2011 1:12:29 PM   
kata

My copy arrived this morn.  Never played the original.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 37
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 7/10/2011 2:08:00 PM   
Dark Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: thepluginbaby

Got my copy today. Certainly feels like Demon's Souls in difficulty and risk and reward, but there are more bosses and the world feels more open rather than level based. Already defeated a couple of bosses, beat the Taurus demon on the castle wall and let out a massive victory warcry when I won, but I think he's small fry to what is coming next : (

Is it just me or is the targeting a little rubbish when compared to the last game? You can't seem to switch between enemies as well, which makes fighting multiple enemies a lot harder than it could be.

Glad you have - he has fecking owned me every time.

By the way - are we going to openly discuss bosses and how to defeat them? Or is it best left for the player to decide. Personally, I am off the thought that this is a good place to discuss weapons/equipment/loot etc but maybe we should keep boss fights under spoilers maybe? I like to be able to try and beat the thing on my own about 10 times before I go crying for help!

Post #: 38
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 7/10/2011 2:20:26 PM   
SWOTBM

^^^  Sounds like a plan.  I started off as a Thief, not great armour but awesome for rolling around and getting backstabs.  Also finding that I'm using the parrying/riposte mechanic a lot more- epecially since the riposte/backstab seems to have some invincibility frames, so good for crowds. 

Progress so far- SPOILERS:

I've just busted out of the jail.  Made a rookie mistake of trying to take on the asylum demon with only a broken sword, needless to say it didn't work out that well   Also, was it just me or when you first meet that Sparkly character on that ledge before the raven takes you away, did you read the message and then press circle, thereby backstepping off the cliff.  No?  Just me then    Currently making my way up through the castle, liking it so far.  Probably died 10 times already. 

Post #: 39
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 7/10/2011 2:33:41 PM   
Dark Knight

Well, I am on my second character already - I started with a warrior just to play about but that doesn't seem to be going so well, as I keep being owned by the demon at the top of the castle. So, I started another character - this time a Cleric and found that they come set up with a nice heal spell and I am scotting along quite nicely with this one. Haven't got to the top of the castle with her yet but she handles the mace well and I hope the extra healing will come in nicely. By the way - which gift did you all pick? I have the Master Key (standard for the theif) for both my warrior and cleric.

****SPOILER*****

Do not forget to have a good look around when you get to the first bonfire after being dropped off by the crow - the path is not always upwards, if you know what I mean.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 40
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 7/10/2011 2:51:04 PM   
SWOTBM

SPOILER:

When going up the castle on the undead burg, has anyone managed to kill that knight guarding that treasure?  He has slaughtered me countless times, I think we have a new red-eyed knight

Post #: 41
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 7/10/2011 2:56:43 PM   
TrendMeUp

Just been and picked this up. Never played the original but I really like the sound of this. For some reason Gamestation were selling the Limited Edition complete with soundtrack, art book, DVD and digital guide for normal price. I traded in Madden 12 and Modern Warfare 2 for 35 credit and got an extra 5 quid off for trading in against a new release. So I've ended up with the Limited Edition without forking out a penny :D

The only problem is I am now at work until 3pm tomorrow and can't play it til then..!

< Message edited by TrendMeUp -- 7/10/2011 3:04:26 PM >

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 42
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 7/10/2011 3:33:11 PM   
thepluginbaby

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

SPOILER:

When going up the castle on the undead burg, has anyone managed to kill that knight guarding that treasure?  He has slaughtered me countless times, I think we have a new red-eyed knight

AND I DON'T HAVE EITHER THE THIEF'S RING OR SOUL ARROW... I'm playing as a hunter, it looks as if the game is downplaying magic and I do miss it... I'll get back to him in due course though, I like the way they just stand with their back towards you making you think you can get an easy backstab kill... When you do go up to them and stab them they just turn around as if saying "what the hell are you doing? Surely you must realise you're woefully skilled to take me on?"  Chased me for ages through the Undead Burg. Need more superpowers methinks.

I was up until 3am last night playing this. Its a good one, more refined than demon's souls, greater emphasis on the exploration as well.

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 43
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 7/10/2011 3:57:11 PM   
TrendMeUp

What class do people recommend I start as? I was thinking I should go with either Knight or Cleric as I'd be able to take a bit more punishment? Are the magic-using classes any good?

http://thatgumyoulikeblog.wordpress.com - a film blog

Post #: 44
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 7/10/2011 4:02:50 PM   
SWOTBM

Wow, that Taurus demon can fuck right off   

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 45
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 7/10/2011 4:27:31 PM   
Dark Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

Wow, that Taurus demon can fuck right off   

My thoughts exactly.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 46
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 7/10/2011 4:34:30 PM   
Dark Knight

quote:

ORIGINAL: TrendMeUp

What class do people recommend I start as? I was thinking I should go with either Knight or Cleric as I'd be able to take a bit more punishment? Are the magic-using classes any good?

I haven't started with a Knight but I do have a small ammount of experience with the Cleric. Decent stats to begin with (although you will need to increase your dex stat if you ever want to wield a bow or crossbow, and you WILL want to  if Demon Souls is anything to go by). The Club that you start with does more damage than the shortsword, but I have found that parrying blows is quite hard with the Cleric compared to the Warrior I have already used. Cleric comes ready equipped with a heal spell that you can use 5 times between bonfires (if you dont understand that then you will 15 mins into the game) as well as your Estus Flask giving you double the healing. I was thinking about creating a Pyromancer aswell just to see if I can cope with a magic starting class.

(in reply to TrendMeUp)
Post #: 47
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 7/10/2011 5:22:45 PM   
SWOTBM

Errr, yeah.  Pretty difficult.  The Taurus demon was destroying me so I went off exploring other paths and it seems like the enemies are of an even higher level   My attacks did next to nothing against the skeleton soldiers and the ghost witch type things, so I'm thinking I might have to grind a bit and take down that Taurus thing   I think I kinda have a plan (sprinting past his attacks and hitting him from behind) but it is so glitchy (if you get stuck between him and the wall=you died) and I don't want to sound like I'm bitching but it doesn't have the same level of fairness as Demon's Souls. 

Post #: 48
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 7/10/2011 5:36:00 PM   
Dark Knight

Just turned Level 13 and I am going to try for the Taurus Demon whilst I dont have many souls. I have a few ideas but need to try a few things out. Been practicing more with the parry and I getting confident using it against the slower moving skeletons.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 49
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 7/10/2011 6:06:11 PM   
Dark Knight

Scratch one Taurus Demon!

That was one hell of a fight.

Too scared to move on now though!

Post #: 50
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 8/10/2011 2:01:49 AM   
kata

Just lost 3000 souls after being poisoned by rats, could do anything to avoid it.

Not sure if this is a spoiler but just to be safe...

**SPOILERS**

Beat the Taurus demon first time by trapping him between the top and the bottom of the tower you come out of fog in.  I'd move up the ladder near the top, he'd jump up.  I'd move down a bit and he'd drop down so I'd go up and do a dropping attack on him... rinse and repeat 4 times.

Lovely detective work.

Post #: 51
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 8/10/2011 9:39:18 AM   
Dark Knight

The only thing I have found to stop poisoning is to return to the bonfire. I too have fallen foul of the rats (under the bridge?) and have noticed that even if they bite you, as long as you retreat - if you can - and the poison bar doesn't turn fully purple, then the effects will wear off quickly.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 52
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 8/10/2011 9:57:44 AM   
kata

Yeah was under the bridge, they got me pretty bad.  Went through 3 health flasks before i eventually died.  Then on the way back to pick the souls up I foolishly forgot about the 'if you die you lose it'  mechanic and tried to take on the black knight...  that didn't go well either.  Though better than the first time because I got an awesome sword.

What do you guys think of the Resistance stat?  

Poison Resist UP
Fire Defense UP
Physical Defense UP

Thinking about every so often putting a point or two into it.  If playing mmo's taught me one thing it's that resistances are really important.

Been concentrating on Strength, Endurance and Vitality.

Lovely detective work.

Post #: 53
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 8/10/2011 10:18:43 AM   
Dark Knight

It is hard to know what to boost at times becuase they all have there own benefits - I have put a couple into Resistance but I have been concentrating on Dex, Strength, Vitality and Endurance. I getting to stage where it is around 2500 souls per level and really regreting every single death.

Also, you think they would put a few more bonfires about wouldn't you!

Edit:- Turns out I kept dying just before I got to one.

< Message edited by Dark Knight -- 8/10/2011 10:31:22 AM >

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 54
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 8/10/2011 10:31:43 AM   
kata

Blind panic > Dismay > Acceptance is what I went through as the poison was ticking my health away.

Lovely detective work.

Post #: 55
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 8/10/2011 11:34:19 AM   
SWOTBM

Just defeated the Taurus demon.  Oh yeah

I'm a little bit worried though.  When I defeated him I didn't get revived or a demon soul.  Has this been changed from Demon's Souls? 

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 56
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 8/10/2011 12:06:33 PM   
Dark Knight

It appears that it is different. You have to use Humanity to revert to human form - although there is no health benefit to being in human form. Cannot see any other benefits yet.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 57
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 8/10/2011 2:50:16 PM   
SWOTBM

^^^ Yeah, me neither.  Other than being able to summon people, but I haven't tried that yet.  I'm currently a level 15 now; pumping all my points into Dex, Vit and End- plus the odd point or two in strength to meet weapon requirements.  Really starting to get sucked into it now, but the rolling mechanic has been gimped.  There now seems to be a recovery delay where you particularly vulnerable, even if you are lightly equipped. 

Also, SPOILERS:

Just got past the first armoured boar and I found a really cheap way of beating him by mistake.  I went over to the staircase on the right to take out the archers above him and he charged at me- straight into the fire pit   Basically just bait out his charge attack and stand in front of the fire, but just make sure you roll out of the way in time

Post #: 58
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 8/10/2011 4:35:31 PM   
thepluginbaby

Feel like I'm making more progress through the game than I did in Demon's Souls, I'm not sure whether this is the way the game is designed (more boss fights) or I'm just wise to the games mechanics. Even so, I'll loving it.

SPOILERS
Just beat mini-tower knight and unlocked a shortcut from the Undead Parish to the game start area. Hells yeah...

"Must go faster..."

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 59
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/10/2011 12:05:18 AM   
Dark Knight

Used an old trick from Demon's Souls and I have managed to get myself a rather nifty Dragon Sword - which I have used to (after MANY attempts) to take down the beasty at the top of the castle and I have rung the bell. Got to love the feeling of actually achieving something in this game.

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon Souls Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI