Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon Souls

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon Souls Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon Souls - 2/2/2011 7:48:16 PM   
kata

Know there's a Demon Souls thread but this just got named so thought it deserved it own.

http://www.eurogamer.net/videos/dark-souls-gets-official-announcement?size=hd

Day 1 on Xbox for me, already got a co-op partner ready and waiting.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"
Post #: 1
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 2/2/2011 8:34:19 PM   
SWOTBM

Nice to see someone else is interested in this series (see hutch, my efforts were not in vain ).  As I said in the Demon's Souls thread, it seems as though the devs are maintaining the difficulty and the atmosphere of the original which is awesome, although I will need to see some hands on footage first.  The push to more open world gameplay does worry a bit, as linearity was a key component to the original's success, but I trust that From know what they are doing.  As I mentioned in the other thread, it would have been nicer to expand on the limited story of the first, as there was loads of potential.  But I guess it makes sense to keep the same atmosphere and start a new universe as they aim for a new market. 

I also think that Namco will make more of a marketing push for Dark Souls considering it is coming out on the 360 and the PS3 (although I reckon it will slip into 2012 personally).  So, I posed this question in the original Demon's Souls thread (but I think no one apart from me reads that thread), how many of you 360 lot are going to buy this?  I would be very interested to see how well this sells on the 360 and I would highly recommend picking it up as it is an amazing series (provided of course it is anything like the original).

EDIT: I didn't actually click on the link the first time I posted so I didn't realise that IT IS A NEW TRAILER THAT IS ALL KINDS OF AWESOMENESS (caps lock very necessary).  From that trailer it looks like the gameplay will stay mostly the same; soul/body form, combat mechanics, co-op etc. which has totally reassured me.  The character designs are out of this world, I thought it would be hard to top the original but they have gone all out with the designs.  Music is also amazing.  Seriously, how can anyone not like this game series?!

< Message edited by SWOTBM -- 2/2/2011 8:48:12 PM >

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 2
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 2/2/2011 8:45:08 PM   
themightyhutch

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

Nice to see someone else is interested in this series (see hutch, my efforts were not in vain ).

I may get round to it......eventually

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 3
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 2/2/2011 8:53:40 PM   
Epiphany Demon

I have it, but only completed 1-1. It's too hard, spider keeps killing me :(

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 4
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 3/2/2011 1:19:06 PM   
Dark Knight

Day one release purchase for me.

Demons Souls is one of the best games I have ever played so I am seriously up for some more.

Here are a few articles from 360achievements.org about it....

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-7455-Dark-Souls-Media-Features-Giant-Rats-and-Other-Nasties.html

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-7440-Project-Dark-is-Demon-s-Souls-Follow-Up---Dark-Souls-.html

News about it being harder than Demon Souls fills me with dread!

< Message edited by Dark Knight -- 3/2/2011 1:25:54 PM >

"I'm too tense to speak!" - Borstal

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 5
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 10/5/2011 10:31:05 PM   
SWOTBM

New teaser/trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqaysjKcw-g&feature=player_embedded

Looks awesome, so many new ways to die   The getting crushed by a rolling boulder looked particularly funny/frustrating   I just hope they don't make the game cheap and random for the sake of increasing the difficulty further.  With DS if you kept dying, you were doing something wrong and the game basically taught you the hard way to change your tactics/adopt new strategies etc., but some of the deaths in that clip looked rather random which is a bit worrying.  Loving the way they have also kept the same sort of atmosphere but changed up the character/level design.  Plus we have a solid release date; October 2011.  Must pre-order....

(in reply to Dark Knight)
Post #: 6
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 11/5/2011 8:25:21 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Is this a God of War type game? 

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 7
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 11/5/2011 8:43:44 PM   
SWOTBM

The combat would be the only similarity, but even that is not really a good comparison because the combat in DS is much tighter and detailed.  It's a hard game to describe, loosely I would call it an action-RPG.  But the RPG-focus is more on the stats and levels than the story aspect (the story was almost non-existent in Demon's Souls).  It is just one of those games that you need to play in order to fully understand it, which is a bit of a pain because most people don't seem to take the chance on it...  I think it's the way they managed to blend the combat, stats/levelling and atmosphere together to make a truly unique and addictive gaming experience.  From the following hands-on preview it looks like they have kept the core elements and improved on them even more, cannot wait for this release.  Most anticipated release of the year for me.  Fuck Skyrim, Dark Souls will be the RPG of the year. 

http://uk.kotaku.com/5800064/our-first-look-at-dark-souls

EDIT: Oh yeah, should mention that it's a bit difficult too

< Message edited by SWOTBM -- 11/5/2011 8:45:43 PM >

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 8
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 11/5/2011 11:06:38 PM   
indysgill

Is it worth playing Demon Souls before this?
I mean its been out for ages, I hear it had some on-line elements. So, will the servers still be up and running?

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 9
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 11/5/2011 11:20:42 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: indysgill

Is it worth playing Demon Souls before this?
I mean its been out for ages, I hear it had some on-line elements. So, will the servers still be up and running?

Hell.  Yes. 

Firstly, it is an amazing game and any PS3 owner should at least try it once.  It's not everyone's cup of tea; it is difficult, requires a great deal of time/concentration and the game does not hold your hand at all.  But if you put in the effort the game is highly addictive, rewarding and enjoyable (in a perverse/masochistic way ).  Secondly, by all accounts the combat is basically the same as Dark Souls, which means that all the skills you learn in Demon's Souls will be transferable to Dark Souls.  Plus it will give you some idea of what you can expect from Dark Souls, save you forking out 40 for a new release and not liking it at all- I think you can get a copy of Demon's Souls for around 10-14 (which is a bargain considering the amount of hours I put into it). 

PSN being down will affect the online elements (i.e. the co-op system), but the game can be played off-line entirely so it is perfect for now with the PSN still out.  Definitely check out the online when PSN comes back, it is a blast.  Completely unique. 

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 10
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 12/5/2011 8:53:38 AM   
Chief

I'll agree, it's a good game. Just a shame I couldn't put the hours in that it needed.

Also, it's not too RPG-y. There isn't a lot of dialogue and hundreds of characters to interact with. The most you'll have to do is create a character, level them up and equip better weapons/spells as you go through.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 11
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 12/5/2011 9:13:48 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

The combat would be the only similarity, but even that is not really a good comparison because the combat in DS is much tighter and detailed.  It's a hard game to describe, loosely I would call it an action-RPG.  But the RPG-focus is more on the stats and levels than the story aspect (the story was almost non-existent in Demon's Souls).  It is just one of those games that you need to play in order to fully understand it, which is a bit of a pain because most people don't seem to take the chance on it...  I think it's the way they managed to blend the combat, stats/levelling and atmosphere together to make a truly unique and addictive gaming experience.  From the following hands-on preview it looks like they have kept the core elements and improved on them even more, cannot wait for this release.  Most anticipated release of the year for me.  Fuck Skyrim, Dark Souls will be the RPG of the year. 

http://uk.kotaku.com/5800064/our-first-look-at-dark-souls

EDIT: Oh yeah, should mention that it's a bit difficult too

I always like to level up heavily in RPGs to the point where I'm just fighting fuckers to grind my way to a position of serious power - is that the case in DS? In terms of stats can you choose to focus on different areas - I like the idea of a stat heavy combat game

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 12
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 12/5/2011 9:57:43 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

I always like to level up heavily in RPGs to the point where I'm just fighting fuckers to grind my way to a position of serious power - is that the case in DS? In terms of stats can you choose to focus on different areas - I like the idea of a stat heavy combat game

You pretty much just summed up Demon's Souls better than I did   Provided you have the time to invest in the game, you will love DS.  You have complete freedom to level up any stat you want and there are countless character builds you can create (my character of choice was a dexterity/faith build- wielding a huge Meat Cleaver and dishing out some handy healing miracles too).  As well as character stats, there are loads of weapons, armour, magics, miracles, upgrades to add to the depth of the combat.  Once you complete the game the difficulty increases by about 50%, so there is always a challenge.  Plus if you ever do get bored of grinding, you can PvP which is so much fun (although since I bought the import version the lag wasnt so much fun). 

Post #: 13
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 12/5/2011 10:40:46 PM   
indysgill

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

You pretty much just summed up Demon's Souls better than I did   Provided you have the time to invest in the game, you will love DS.  You have complete freedom to level up any stat you want and there are countless character builds you can create (my character of choice was a dexterity/faith build- wielding a huge Meat Cleaver and dishing out some handy healing miracles too).  As well as character stats, there are loads of weapons, armour, magics, miracles, upgrades to add to the depth of the combat.  Once you complete the game the difficulty increases by about 50%, so there is always a challenge.  Plus if you ever do get bored of grinding, you can PvP which is so much fun (although since I bought the import version the lag wasnt so much fun). 

The meat cleaver sold it, its now on my rental list.

It's not the years honey, Its the mileage.

Are you kidding? You get to go home and say "I punched Indiana Jones today". - Gary Oldman.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 14
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 15/5/2011 5:47:32 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Not got a PS3 so won't be able to play the first but will definitely pick up the sequel if it makes it's way to the XBOX 

(in reply to indysgill)
Post #: 15
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 3/6/2011 3:03:49 PM   
SWOTBM

STICKY WHITE STUFF EVERYWHERE

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2011-dark-souls/714546

Post #: 16
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 3/6/2011 3:50:51 PM   
Ell

I still lack the patience (and time) of a saint to sit down and complete Demon's Souls. No doubt, it's a brilliant game, and as has probably been said already - the difficulty curve makes it all the more rewarding when you defeat a giant knight or avoid getting crushed by a giant knight!

One day!

"I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!!!"

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 17
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/6/2011 12:55:15 PM   
SWOTBM

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1174801p1.html

Totally reassured by watching that, the gameplay looks almost exactly like Demon's Souls.  Although I would have liked to have seen some magic/miracles in action, but I suppose it is a demo.  Most anticipated release of the year for me. 

That guy sucked balls though.  He should have unequipped the sheild, taken off that armour and two-handed the sword.  The shield was gonna be useless against that boar, needed to roll out the way and hit it from behind, not stand your ground

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 18
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 9/6/2011 2:42:49 PM   
Dark Knight

quote:

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/117/1174801p1.html

Totally reassured by watching that, the gameplay looks almost exactly like Demon's Souls.  Although I would have liked to have seen some magic/miracles in action, but I suppose it is a demo.  Most anticipated release of the year for me. 

That guy sucked balls though.  He should have unequipped the sheild, taken off that armour and two-handed the sword.  The shield was gonna be useless against that boar, needed to roll out the way and hit it from behind, not stand your ground

Damn right - I do think that experience of Demon's Souls will hold people in good stead for this upcoming amaze-a-thon. I cannot wait for it.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 19
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 17/8/2011 3:33:45 PM   
SWOTBM

Just. So. Awesome.

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/08/16/gamescom-dark-souls-trailer

Character design=mind blown

Post #: 20
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 18/9/2011 5:29:31 PM   
Dark Knight

Saw it running today at Gamefest and it is looking all sorts of awesome. Once again, definite day one purchase for me.....

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 21
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 18/9/2011 10:30:36 PM   
SWOTBM

I think I hate you a little bit.... 

Did you get a chance to play any of the live demos?

Post #: 22
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 18/9/2011 10:32:29 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

I did. More of the same really. Which means it was pretty great. Graphics were superb and it's still bastard hard.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 23
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 19/9/2011 9:11:12 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

quote:

I did. More of the same really. Which means it was pretty great. Graphics were superb and it's still bastard hard.

Sweet.  The graphics were looking a bit dated on Demon's Souls, so it's good to get an update.  One thing I am starting to get a bit worried about is the story; the prologue trailers have me scratching my head a bit trying to work out wtf is going on.  They seem to have gone from no story to OTT story.  Still I'll reserve judgement until 7/10/11- best birthday present every From Software

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 24
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 25/9/2011 10:44:46 AM   
SWOTBM

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/119/1196353p1.html

Obvious attempt at starting a fanboy war and with 2500 comments in just under a day it seems to have worked   But the guy does raise some interesting points and seeing as we are only a couple of weeks off release date of DS, I am a little disappointed at the lack of anticipation.  I'll still be buying both but I think I'm going to enjoy Dark Souls more. 

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 25
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 25/9/2011 10:49:34 AM   
juanvasquez

I think it's just a case of there being more money in advertising for Skyrim, and it's part of an already popular franchise, where as Demons Souls was a niche exclusive to PS3. That's not to say Dark Souls won't be better, but given how frustrating Demons Souls could get, Skyrim will have more appeal I reckon.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 26
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 25/9/2011 2:00:01 PM   
Dark Knight

Agreed that they are trying to start a fan-boy conflict. Not interested however in such silliness as I will getting both and therefore the best of both worlds.

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 27
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 30/9/2011 8:35:22 PM   
SWOTBM

*weeps tears of joy*

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/119/1197278p1.html

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/09/30/dark-souls-video-review

Kinda disappointed about what sounds like the nerfing of the black phantom mechanic, but I'll wait to see how it plays out. 

Post #: 28
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 3/10/2011 9:20:00 PM   
Dark Knight

Reviews are starting to come in now that the embargo has expired and it is looking the dog's bollocks.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/dark-souls

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 29
RE: Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon S... - 4/10/2011 4:35:19 PM   
Invader_Ace

Never played Demon, but watched some reviews for this; WANT.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> Dark Souls - Xbox/PS3 - Spiritual sequel to Demon Souls Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI