Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Syria Protests

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Syria Protests Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Syria Protests - 5/3/2012 2:17:54 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

So is Syria the new Rwanda?

Maybe in terms of inaction but Rwanda had some rather disturbing racism/ethnic hatred around it,

quote:

Are we doing nothing because we REALLY think Iran would say something at this point? Even the Arab Council are up in arms.

There's also Russia and China in this. China would be a problem and Russia want to show that they still have some influence on the world while also keeping some influence on the area (and of course, the weapons)

< Message edited by Deviation -- 5/3/2012 2:37:09 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 181
RE: Syria Protests - 1/6/2012 11:09:53 AM   
DancingClown

Grisly piece regarding the Houla massacre.

WARNING: Very upsetting - http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/world/middleeast/article3430302.ece?shareToken=9ff5af6c6f90f29bcc1634dd0ae942bc

I know it seems fairly redundant in the sense that none of us are capable of doing anything about it but it deserves a read if you have the stomach. How much longer can this tyrant cunt get away with this evil shit?

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 182
RE: Syria Protests - 1/6/2012 12:15:48 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Syria is a bit strange - while the world is clamouring to pin the atrocities on the regime (I've no doubt they've killed civilians however) this country is clearly being destabilised by foreign powers. Just like Libya where suddenly out of nowhere there sprung up a resistance movement, well armed and trained the same is taking place in Syria.

Information from Wikileaks states that ex-Blackwater operatives (the psychopaths that had no compunction killing civilians in Iraq) are operating in Syria and have come over from Iraq. There's absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the CIA will be involved as well.

If you look at the history of intervention into foreign states by the likes of the Americans it looks blatantly like another operation to bring a country down - it's going down in textbook fashion just like Iraq, fermenting civil war, death squads, atrocities.

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 183
RE: Syria Protests - 1/6/2012 12:36:19 PM   
elab49

And still - no-one forced Assad and his militia to murder children. Attempting to scattergun blame for various things elsewhere doesn't change that - the point being discussed above.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 184
RE: Syria Protests - 1/6/2012 12:50:50 PM   
NinjaShortbread212

Hezbollah has evolved into a resistance movement over two decades and although they are just becoming more noticeable if you like, to the media now, I'd hardly say that they had just "suddenly out of nowhere" there "sprung up a resistance".

Assad made the choice to kill through his own free will, no-one held a gun to his head, agreed.

< Message edited by NinjaShortbread212 -- 1/6/2012 12:52:28 PM >

Art

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 185
RE: Syria Protests - 1/6/2012 1:52:51 PM   
Chief Wiggum

I'd say Hizb'Allah have been pretty noticeable to the media since the mid 80's Ninj, (and also if we're being technical Hizb'Allah normally side with the Assad regime, due to religous similarities between the Shi'a and the Allawites, that and the bundles of cash that go from Syria to Hib'Allah)

You are correct that there has been resistance against the regime before now, in the early part of this century there was nearly a move to democracy when Bashar took over from Hafez following his death. Lots of little groups started openly discussing politics in coffee shops, calling for reforms and the like. One by one, however they all seemed to shrink away as they were whittled down to one measly group, through arbitary arrests and torture (and before people bring in Gitmo, this was "proper" torture - the kind of thing Jack Bauer would do to you if you impregnated his daughter, killed his dog and keyed his car). Now 7 years ago the Salon of Democracy (I think that's what they were called) was still managing to go pretty well - Bashar had namechecked them in an interview, so he could be seen to be promoting reform, and as long as they didn't plot the overthrow of the regime they could talk as much as they want. The one problem being that every member was constantly followed by members of the Mukhabarat, so nobody would want to be seen to listen to them.

You then also have the exiled resistance, there used to be a company based just outside London called the Levant Group (or something similar) I'm not completely sure how they made their money, but I suspect it was mainly donations from wealthy individuals in the gulf states, for the simple reason that this was actually the Syrian Chapter of the Muslim Brotherhood (luckily the split from the Egyptian chapter happened before al-Qutb got involved, so they weren't completely batshit, just a little and they were of the mind that democracy=tyranny of the majority). They've been attempting to ferment revolution for at least 30 years, the only reason that they're exiled is because the Assad regime levelled half of a city with artillery, in order to quell the uprising.

So those were the two major factions working against the regime about 7 years ago, when I met them as part of my uni course.

Now at each meeting, one of the people in the group asked "how can we help you?", and each group specifically said no thanks, we don't want your help, for the simple reason that the regime could point to the group and say, look they're taking money/ from the oppressive west. which would lose them support on the ground in Syria.

The thing that has changed is that a lot of the fear has gone, I was in Homs with my study group (one of whom was Turkish) chatting with some of the local students, sitting drinking tea listening to a guy with a goatee beard playing the guitar (so no real change from uni in the uk) - our Turkish friend made a request for a song, I can't remember which one but it was fairly nationalistic. Our Syrian friends went absolutely silent, the guy with the guitar would not play the song, turkish friend says something along the lines of "come on, it's a fun song with a great tune". it had to be explained to her that whilst the melody is nice - playing the tune and singing the song would basically mean a midnight knock at the door and a car journey to an unknown destination.

That fear has gone, the Syrians have seen regimes that rule in a similar way (Algeria, Egypt, Yemen etc.) topple and fall, they've seen people march against the regime and not get massacred, they see that they have a chance to get rid of this thuggish regime and I can't help but think that it may be a good thing that they try.

EDIT: Fluke, I don't want to get into one of our to and fro arguments, this is what the situation was like in Syria when I was there, 7 years ago, it may not be current, but this is what I observed.

< Message edited by Chief Wiggum -- 1/6/2012 2:03:21 PM >

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 186
RE: Syria Protests - 1/6/2012 2:21:29 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fluke Skywalker

Syria is a bit strange - while the world is clamouring to pin the atrocities on the regime (I've no doubt they've killed civilians however) this country is clearly being destabilised by foreign powers. Just like Libya where suddenly out of nowhere there sprung up a resistance movement, well armed and trained the same is taking place in Syria.

Information from Wikileaks states that ex-Blackwater operatives (the psychopaths that had no compunction killing civilians in Iraq) are operating in Syria and have come over from Iraq. There's absolutely no doubt whatsoever that the CIA will be involved as well.

If you look at the history of intervention into foreign states by the likes of the Americans it looks blatantly like another operation to bring a country down - it's going down in textbook fashion just like Iraq, fermenting civil war, death squads, atrocities.

This basically. The Assad regime, as brutal as it is isn't the only element in the country carrying out massacres. The sectarian extremists are exploiting the uprising to their own ends (something the western media is largely ignoring) and as Fluke said there's also the outside interference. Something the Americans don't want us to know about.

< Message edited by Spaldron -- 1/6/2012 3:34:40 PM >

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 187
RE: Syria Protests - 1/6/2012 3:45:52 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

Hang on, what?

Even if there is outside interference in Syria and even if this is destablising the county, two "if's" at this point that doesnt mea that Assad can continue to play "Carry on kid killing" does it?

It seems that those who are so quick to rail against the US are almost adopting a policy of "Well it's not right but that lot are doing it to". So basically you are holding the Goverment of a nation to the same standard as those you believe are destablising.

His regime is morally bankrupt. Civillians have been massacred. By the very people who are suppose to protect and lead them.

Focus on that for fuck sake.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 188
RE: Syria Protests - 1/6/2012 6:02:15 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I'm not in any way shape or form saying that the Syrian regime is a beacon of democracy - but if you look at even very recent history it's clear that foreign powers are in play again and regime change is on the cards.

What's happened over the last decade or so is that the main regimes that aren't in our pockets have been demonised, targeted and taken out.

1. Iraq - we all know about the lies and subsequent devastation. (a dictator formerly in our pockets who we helped to power and armed)
2. Libya - apparently our only aim was trying to stop civilians getting killed, total lie NATO bombings commenced and regime change. (a dictator who we sold arms to and into whose arms our intelligence service rendered anti-Gaddafi protesters)
3.Iran - apparently a grave nuclear threat despite the fact they've never actually attacked anyone and have seen their own society destabilised by the Americans and British for nationalising their oil in the 1950s. Even former members of the Israeli military don't believe they are a threat but the drums of war are banging away.
4. Syria along with Iran the last two to be dealt with.

No one cares about democracy in Saudi Arabia of course or Bahrain - the dictators we own. This is all part of the famous 'Great Game' that is played out by powerful Western Nations and the middle east bears the brunt of their efforts due to the oil supplies.

As for 'kid killing' - is Assad's regime gunning down children or are western backed insurgents doing the dirty work to turn world opinion against Assad and open the door for military intervention. Judging by our long and sordid history of blatantly lying and fucking over the people of the middle east I'm not going to blindly accept what our leaders are telling us.

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 189
RE: Syria Protests - 2/6/2012 1:32:44 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

I'm not in any way shape or form saying that the Syrian regime is a beacon of democracy - but if you look at even very recent history it's clear that foreign powers are in play again and regime change is on the cards.

What's happened over the last decade or so is that the main regimes that aren't in our pockets have been demonised, targeted and taken out.

1. Iraq - we all know about the lies and subsequent devastation. (a dictator formerly in our pockets who we helped to power and armed)
2. Libya - apparently our only aim was trying to stop civilians getting killed, total lie NATO bombings commenced and regime change. (a dictator who we sold arms to and into whose arms our intelligence service rendered anti-Gaddafi protesters)
3.Iran - apparently a grave nuclear threat despite the fact they've never actually attacked anyone and have seen their own society destabilised by the Americans and British for nationalising their oil in the 1950s. Even former members of the Israeli military don't believe they are a threat but the drums of war are banging away.

No one cares about democracy in Saudi Arabia of course or Bahrain - the dictators we own. This is all part of the famous 'Great Game' that is played out by powerful Western Nations and the middle east bears the brunt of their efforts due to the oil supplies.

As for 'kid killing' - is Assad's regime gunning down children or are western backed insurgents doing the dirty work to turn world opinion against Assad and open the door for military intervention. Judging by our long and sordid history of blatantly lying and fucking over the people of the middle east I'm not going to blindly accept what our leaders are telling us.

Post #: 190
RE: Syria Protests - 2/6/2012 1:56:48 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: NinjaShortbread212

Hezbollah has evolved into a resistance movement over two decades and although they are just becoming more noticeable if you like, to the media now, I'd hardly say that they had just "suddenly out of nowhere" there "sprung up a resistance".

Assad made the choice to kill through his own free will, no-one held a gun to his head, agreed.

Well said.

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 191
RE: Syria Protests - 2/6/2012 2:46:51 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

Not sure what any of Flukes post has to do with mine to be honest.

To recap, I am not disputing the very likely nay probable posibillity that outside forces are trying to destablise Syria for their own gain. I just don't know why that becomes the focus of a discussion about government sanctioned hit squads.

No amount of anti American rhetoric from either Spaldron or Fluke will make me understand that.

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 192
RE: Syria Protests - 2/6/2012 3:38:46 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

I'm just saying that it's not black and white and there's no hard evidence who is massacring civilians. I'm no fan of Assad's regime but honestly after all these years he's suddenly decided to become a baby killer? If you look at US history the use of death squads is a standard tactic and judging by how things are going down in Syria they these dark arts are being employed once again. They've been used in South and Central America, Iraq, Indonesia to name a few countries.

When you want to destabilise a country or take down the opposition you arm some very nasty people up and send them to do your bidding. Because your own forces are not involved it allows you to distance yourself from the horror.

Post #: 193
RE: Syria Protests - 2/6/2012 8:13:56 PM   
matty_b

quote:

I'm just saying that it's not black and white and there's no hard evidence who is massacring civilians. I'm no fan of Assad's regime but honestly after all these years he's suddenly decided to become a baby killer? If you look at US history the use of death squads is a standard tactic and judging by how things are going down in Syria these dark arts are being employed once again. They've been used in South and Central America, Iraq, Indonesia to name a few countries.

When you want to destabilise a country or take down the opposition you arm some very nasty people up and send them to do your bidding. Because your own forces are not involved it allows you to distance yourself from the horror.

Oh the irony. The irony...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

Post #: 194
RE: Syria Protests - 2/6/2012 8:21:55 PM   
Funkyrae

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

Hang on, what?

Even if there is outside interference in Syria and even if this is destablising the county, two "if's" at this point that doesnt mea that Assad can continue to play "Carry on kid killing" does it?

It seems that those who are so quick to rail against the US are almost adopting a policy of "Well it's not right but that lot are doing it to". So basically you are holding the Goverment of a nation to the same standard as those you believe are destablising.

His regime is morally bankrupt. Civillians have been massacred. By the very people who are suppose to protect and lead them.

Focus on that for fuck sake.

Why do that when it's so much more fun to hold on to conspiracy theories?

That's me that is!

Post #: 195
RE: Syria Protests - 2/6/2012 8:32:20 PM   
elab49

So it's the Alawite sect in Assad's tribe, and recognisably his militia coming in after the shelling to finish things off personally. But somehow all the civilians have been persuaded to tell a different story about who murdered their families?

I thought it was only the Russians who were trying to pretend someone else might have done it. Not the Russians and Fluke.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 196
RE: Syria Protests - 6/6/2012 3:11:04 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

This is worth a read - there is actually no hard evidence who carried out the massacres - some of the horror is indicative of what took place in Iraq and it looks likely that some of the nutters from that country are operating within Syria. Terrorists are now bombing within this country and we are also heavily arming the rebels, effectively fermenting civil war in another arab country. Not defending Assad but people buy the official line way too easily considering the past record of our leaders and media.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-2151866/Houla-massacre-Syria-tragedy-madness-Britain-intervene.html

Taken from this article:

'The expressions of outrage over Houla and the consequent threats of military action all feed into the conventional Western narrative of the Syrian crisis whereby Assad is portrayed as a bloodthirsty tyrant and the rebels as heroic freedom-fighters trying to liberate the Syrian people from oppression.

It is a picture that has been sedulously cultivated by the anti-Assad opposition, who are masters of manipulative propaganda aimed at gullible Western politicians, broadcasters and protest groups.'

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 197
RE: Syria Protests - 7/6/2012 10:04:01 PM   
Chief Wiggum

Well there's been another massacre - Both sides are reporting that the other side did it, according to the BBC; they are unable to verify either side's account of what happened as western journalists are not permitted to report from Syria by the Assad regime.

The Assad troops are blocking the UN monitors from visiting the site, and reports earlier said that they were shot at - the news didn't say who shot at them. - Link

make of that what you will.

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

Post #: 198
RE: Syria Protests - 11/6/2012 2:00:57 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Syrian rebels tried to lead a Channel 4 team into a free fire zone to get them killed by the Syrian army because "dead journos are bad for Damascus".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/jun/08/alex-thompson-syrian-rebels

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 199
RE: Syria Protests - 12/6/2012 1:06:15 PM   
Phil884

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18405800

Regardless of who is responsible - although this says the state - the finding that it this is taking place and is being deliberately implemented is upsetting beyond words. I am not entirely naive so I know other states cannot (will not) simply go in and make it stop, but it breaks my heart that nothing useful is being done to help.

I accept nothing from a man who imprisons his guests in a commode

Post #: 200
RE: Syria Protests - 12/6/2012 1:28:50 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

The civil war is being actively encouraged by us arming the rebels just as we armed them Libya. Libya actually came off quite well relative to the bloodbath that is Iraq which is probably why Western nations are trying this new regime change template out again. I would expect a bombing campaign at some point to round things off - with the Libyan experiment deemed a success we've realised that we can knock off governments without committing ground troops. As per usual thousands of dead arabs is a price worth paying because they are dark skinned foreigners whose lives are cheap.

(in reply to Phil884)
Post #: 201
RE: Syria Protests - 12/6/2012 4:00:11 PM   
Olaf

quote:

The civil war is being actively encouraged by us arming the rebels just as we armed them Libya. Libya actually came off quite well relative to the bloodbath that is Iraq which is probably why Western nations are trying this new regime change template out again. I would expect a bombing campaign at some point to round things off - with the Libyan experiment deemed a success we've realised that we can knock off governments without committing ground troops. As per usual thousands of dead arabs is a price worth paying because they are dark skinned foreigners whose lives are cheap.

Yeah but what does this have to do with Syrian troops using children as human shields.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

Post #: 202
RE: Syria Protests - 12/6/2012 6:56:40 PM   
matty_b

COZ ITS DA EVIL AMERICANZ OLAF.

quote:

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 203
RE: Syria Protests - 12/6/2012 11:17:23 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

Yeah but what does this have to do with Syrian troops using children as human shields.

If I can take this more off topic, the Libyans especially in the North don't always tend to be very dark-skinned. The two I've known certainly weren't and didn't look any different from any other Mediterranean person in terms of skin complexion. They're also quite a mixed bunch.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 204
RE: Syria Protests - 13/6/2012 2:19:39 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Olaf

quote:

If they are doing that they are evil cunts - my point is that there are lies being spread by the Syrian rebels, who are backed and armed by western nations, who are of course fully paid up members of the regime change brigade, and who have in very recent history lied through their teeth themselves to justify bombings and wars.

And Mattyb - just do some of your own research on US foreign policy over the last 50 years. The word 'evil' is a completely apt

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 205
RE: Syria Protests - 13/6/2012 2:33:51 PM   
matty_b

Oh, I know plenty. I just don't think yelping about how evil the west is before any other sort of serious investigation into other sides/participants/factors is particularly helpful.

quote:

Post #: 206
RE: Syria Protests - 13/6/2012 2:41:50 PM   
Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Oh, I know plenty. I just don't think yelping about how evil the west is before any other sort of serious investigation into other sides/participants/factors is particularly helpful.

This is what happens when " the enemy of my enemy is my friend" game is played. People like to think that if someone doesn't lie ethe US then they are an under dog that should be admired; unfortunately some dogs can be rabid. This leads to all kinds of whataboutery and cognitive dissonance, it shoudl be especially hilarious (in a tragic way) when Castro dies.

Eddie: "Weve been burgaled"
Richie: You may have been, but I have never in my life. As a christian I am so tightly clenched, oh you mean burgaled
- - -
There were originally five horsemen of the apocalypse. Jack Bauer said he would travel by foot

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 207
RE: Syria Protests - 13/6/2012 3:02:13 PM   
matty_b

Would that be the dictator Fidel Castro? Yeah, there's going to be some LOL-tastic opinions going about when he dies.

quote:

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 208
RE: Syria Protests - 13/6/2012 4:11:16 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Woger

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

This is what happens when " the enemy of my enemy is my friend" game is played. People like to think that if someone doesn't lie ethe US then they are an under dog that should be admired; unfortunately some dogs can be rabid. This leads to all kinds of whataboutery and cognitive dissonance, it shoudl be especially hilarious (in a tragic way) when Castro dies.

No admiring of dodgy dictatorships here - just need people to see both sides of the picture. It's important that we don't wholescale buy into what our leaders tell us as this can lead to wars like in Iraq which kill a hell of a lot of people.

As for Castro people fixate on him because he stood up to America and they couldn't bring him down - if he had been toppled and a brutal pro-US dictator was in charge that would have all been wiped from the pages of history.

(in reply to Woger)
Post #: 209
RE: Syria Protests - 18/7/2012 12:52:39 PM   
Ghidorah

Syria cabinet meeting got hit by a suicide bomber.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-18882149

No news on Assad condition or his whereabouts.

Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Syria Protests Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI