Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Egypt Protests

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Egypt Protests Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Egypt Protests - 11/6/2011 6:18:09 PM   
Chief Wiggum

going to stop the quoting - starting to make the thread look a little messy.

My degree was fine - one of the top ranked in the country in fact. Pilger wasn't on any of the reading lists, that's not to say that he's done some very fine work - his stuff from Cambodia brought to light huge amounts of suffering. however since the cold war ended he seems to have veered into the realm of anti-americanism rather than straight anti-imperealism.

I think you missed the point about the Al-shifa/9-11 comparison, apart from the dodgy sourcing it demonstrated that he is quite willing to use deaths that result after the fact of the event in one case, but in the event of another he keeps the deaths to the ones that happenned at the time. if you see what I mean.

In terms of the Linguistics/politics validity - the way I think of it is that it's like watching football. sure Brian Moore could probably tell you what's going on, but it would be better that he stick to Rugby (well, maybe not even that) and let John Motson get on with it.

RE: the Khmer Rouge - my point wasn't that the US bombing didn't have an impact on their rise to power, and it wasn't Chomsky's. Chomsky is of the opinion (at least he was when the stories came out) that the violence itself was a response to the american bombing, which to me is a flawed argument when you compare it to other regimes that had a similar history and rise to power.

RE- Chomsky's ideal government - the information came from an article called "the Hypocrisy of Noam Chomsky" by Keith Windschuttle, former member of the New Left. however in the copy of the article that I read the sources were not cited, so cannot say where Chomsky said that. if you want I'll happily withdraw it.

however the thing that makes me quite angry is your comment that, my response was completley unbelievable. it really is believable looking at the suffering caused by marxism/leninism/maoism over the years you are looking at TENS OF MILLIONS of deaths, through their policies, repression. not to mention the stifling of free speech, the dreaded midnight knock on the door.

I will quote this though...

quote:

Take them all out, but a) do it for the right reasons (humanitarian), and b) don't pick and choose your fights. On both a + b the West falls down heavily and history has shown this time and time again. We back the dictators in our pockets, we attack those that aren't. It's happening right now across the middle east as we very speak - you can't find any more blatant evidence than that. It's right in front of your eyes mate!

So you advocate that the US should use its military power to remove dictatorships and promote democracy? I presume that you'd prefer that if a country was making democratic reforms, or was willing to we should instead use aid and diplomacy to encourage them along the way.

I completely agree with you on this, my problem is that I do not see it being possible to do this militarily at the same time so would rather see force be used on those regimes that haven't changed for 30+ years rather than those like Bahrain which have seen positive changes in the last 10 years. I tend to see Chomsky as advocating that the US be more isolationist, and allow Democracy to grow at its own pace throughout the world rather than intervening and acting as a catalyst for democratic change.

ALSO...

quote:

Chief is like Anakin Skywalker - clearly a talented fucker, but has gone over to the dark side!

http://www.galacticempiretimes.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xV7Ha3VDbzE

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to Fluke Skywalker)
Post #: 121
RE: Egypt Protests - 11/6/2011 6:28:42 PM   
Spaldron

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief Wiggum

Why have I not seen this before?

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 122
RE: Egypt Protests - 12/6/2011 8:58:07 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

quote:

going to stop the quoting - starting to make the thread look a little messy.

My degree was fine - one of the top ranked in the country in fact. Pilger wasn't on any of the reading lists, that's not to say that he's done some very fine work - his stuff from Cambodia brought to light huge amounts of suffering. however since the cold war ended he seems to have veered into the realm of anti-americanism rather than straight anti-imperealism.

That is because history does show us that the spear-head of imperialism over recent decades has been America - the evidence is there to show that.

I think you missed the point about the Al-shifa/9-11 comparison, apart from the dodgy sourcing it demonstrated that he is quite willing to use deaths that result after the fact of the event in one case, but in the event of another he keeps the deaths to the ones that happenned at the time. if you see what I mean.

Yeah kind of - once again need to research the exact events here.

In terms of the Linguistics/politics validity - the way I think of it is that it's like watching football. sure Brian Moore could probably tell you what's going on, but it would be better that he stick to Rugby (well, maybe not even that) and let John Motson get on with it.

I don't agree, he is a very serious thinker indeed. His work has parallels with the forementioned Pilger and the work of Naomi Kline whose Shock Doctrine focuses on the Chicago Boy Milton Friedman economic policies that US imposes on nations under it's control.

RE: the Khmer Rouge - my point wasn't that the US bombing didn't have an impact on their rise to power, and it wasn't Chomsky's. Chomsky is of the opinion (at least he was when the stories came out) that the violence itself was a response to the american bombing, which to me is a flawed argument when you compare it to other regimes that had a similar history and rise to power.

It was a society ripped to shreds by US bombing, it's perfectly possible this could have been the case. Either way it's indispitutable that the horrific level of bombing inflicted on that country helped the rise of the Khmer Rouge.

however the thing that makes me quite angry is your comment that, my response was completley unbelievable. it really is believable looking at the suffering caused by marxism/leninism/maoism over the years you are looking at TENS OF MILLIONS of deaths, through their policies, repression. not to mention the stifling of free speech, the dreaded midnight knock on the door.

I'm not denying at all that the Russians were pretty fucked up, but my point is we can't get on our high horses and pretend to be honourable and civilised if our response is to install brutal dictatorships, arm them and train them how to torture, kill and suppress their own populations.

I will quote this though...

quote:

Take them all out, but a) do it for the right reasons (humanitarian), and b) don't pick and choose your fights. On both a + b the West falls down heavily and history has shown this time and time again. We back the dictators in our pockets, we attack those that aren't. It's happening right now across the middle east as we very speak - you can't find any more blatant evidence than that. It's right in front of your eyes mate!

So you advocate that the US should use its military power to remove dictatorships and promote democracy? I presume that you'd prefer that if a country was making democratic reforms, or was willing to we should instead use aid and diplomacy to encourage them along the way.

The problem is there is so much going on behind the scenes, there's a mulitude of pressures on these nations being exerted from all angles, be it from the military, the secret services, organisations like the IMF and the World Bank. We simply do not allow democracy to take place, we actively try to make sure we can get someone who is in power who will do our bidding. My point about attacking people is not that we should do it, but if we are going to do it, it has to be carried out for the interests of the people of that nation not ours.

I completely agree with you on this, my problem is that I do not see it being possible to do this militarily at the same time so would rather see force be used on those regimes that haven't changed for 30+ years rather than those like Bahrain which have seen positive changes in the last 10 years. I tend to see Chomsky as advocating that the US be more isolationist, and allow Democracy to grow at its own pace throughout the world rather than intervening and acting as a catalyst for democratic change.

My central point is that we don't intervene for democratic change, we intervene to meet our own interests, and our foreign policy is riven with hypocrisy and double standards. Once again there's a mass of evidence to back this up. As I've said before it's time we started acting like the good guys instead of just pretending to be the good guys.

ALSO...

quote:

Chief is like Anakin Skywalker - clearly a talented fucker, but has gone over to the dark side!

http://www.galacticempiretimes.com

Post #: 123
RE: Egypt Protests - 12/6/2011 9:01:31 PM   
Fluke Skywalker

Forgot to mention those Star Wars links - total quality 

Post #: 124
RE: Egypt Protests - 21/8/2011 9:58:03 PM   
Rgirvan44

Holy shit at tonights footage!

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 125
RE: Egypt Protests - 21/8/2011 11:00:18 PM   
Spaldron

Shit just got real. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-14608807

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 126
RE: Egypt Protests - 22/8/2011 12:28:10 PM   
Titanm21

looks like its game over

www.TrailerHouseMusings@Blogspot.com

Join us for all the latest trailers in the world of Gaming, TV and Movies [also Facebook and Twitter]

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 127
RE: Egypt Protests - 22/8/2011 1:20:50 PM   
clownfoot

quote:

Evil Mod 2 - Hail he who has fallen from the sky to deliver us from the terror of the Deadites!

http://www.thepixelempire.net/index.html
http://clownfootsinversemidas.blogspot.com/

Post #: 128
Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 12:43:24 PM   
DancingClown

News sources claiming Gadaffi captured -:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-15385955

< Message edited by DancingClown -- 20/10/2011 12:44:26 PM >

Astronomic Tune Boy

'The town knew darkness, and darkness was enough.'

"Storm just bleeewwww me away..."

Post #: 129
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 12:50:14 PM   
Toby Monroe

I've always had a soft spot for Muammar. He reminds me of Brutus Gold.

Fit or Fugly score: 3/10

(in reply to DancingClown)
Post #: 130
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 1:10:28 PM   
Deviation

It seems that he's been captured. I'll miss his sunglasses.

: (

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Toby Monroe)
Post #: 131
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 1:11:56 PM   
Rgirvan44

And even more rumours saying he is now worm food. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 132
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 1:24:26 PM   
great_badir

I bet the remaining dictators are absolutely shitting themselves right now...

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 133
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 1:24:41 PM   
sharkboy

Reuters are reporting that he died of wounds sustained in a firefight

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 134
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 1:25:39 PM   
steffols

Sky News reporting he is dead.

It's midnight in Manhattan, this is no time to get cute, it's a mad dog's promenade,
So walk tall, or baby don't walk at all.

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 135
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 1:29:56 PM   
great_badir

Is that a photo of his dead/dying body on the main News front page on BBC website?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to steffols)
Post #: 136
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 1:34:01 PM   
Rgirvan44

Yep. Good. 

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 137
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 1:34:53 PM   
great_badir

Most unlike the BBC.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 138
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 1:37:53 PM   
Funkyrae

BBC are saying dead or wounded and captured.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 139
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 1:57:45 PM   
Deviation

Al Jazeera are saying that his death has been confirmed.

End of an era people, end of an era.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 140
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 2:00:37 PM   
Funkyrae

Either captured or dead his "rule" is definitely over.

That's me that is!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 141
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 2:00:40 PM   
jonson

They've got the wrong man, that's Leatherface.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 142
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 3:09:01 PM   
Funkyrae

Beeb are still being really cautious about confirming whether or not he's dead.

That's me that is!

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 143
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 3:33:33 PM   
Rgirvan44

Sky News have said he is dead. And the camera footage and pictures seem to confirm it. 

(in reply to Funkyrae)
Post #: 144
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 4:01:08 PM   
Spaldron

Well at least they had the balls to actually publish the pics unlike the Bin Laden "cover up".

EDIT: Waiting for the amusing meme's to show up.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 145
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 4:17:55 PM   
Spaldron

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 146
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 5:11:40 PM   
Darth Marenghi

I have to admit that I'm slightly uneasy that he was apparently assassinated rather than captured and brought to trial, but perhaps this was the inevitable consequence of his own actions. The media in this country never seemed to talk about his crimes against his own people, so I wasn't aware of that aspect until relatively recently.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 147
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 5:14:00 PM   
Rgirvan44

While it might have been nice for a trial to happen I am not going to condemn them for what they did either. 

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 148
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 5:30:17 PM   
Spaldron

Do you think maybe now we'll find out who really did Lockerbie?

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 149
RE: Game over, Gadaffi? - 20/10/2011 5:46:45 PM   
Ghidorah

Look like Bin Laden was lucky. A nice clean death and a funeral service he didn't deserve. Gaddafi on the hand most likely bleed to death and been drag through the streets by a chanting mob. I wonder the critics of Bin Laden's assassination will come forward again. Especially this time it's the Muslims handling the situation and not the Americans.

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> News and Hot Topics >> RE: Egypt Protests Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI