Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Cycling

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Cycling Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cycling - 6/9/2012 10:23:03 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Oooh, I shall look out for you! If you hear someone shouting "Gingerdaniel"................. look the other way

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 91
RE: Cycling - 11/10/2012 11:07:20 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Going to be in the same room as Bradley Wiggins, Sir Chris Hoy and Laura Stott this afternoon (they're coming in to work for a Q & A session and managed to bag a place in the audience!)

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 92
RE: Cycling - 11/10/2012 2:10:25 PM   
MOTH

I dare you to ask them if they like any Edgar Allen Poe...

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

Post #: 93
RE: Cycling - 11/10/2012 4:23:12 PM   
Hobbitonlass

As expected there were loads of questions about doping and Lance and Bradley did get a bit sweary at points

It was brilliant though to see them and listen to what they had to say (there were some non doping questions).  I love where I work

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 94
RE: Cycling - 24/10/2012 1:25:56 PM   
Professor Moriarty

Surely the French wouldn't try to re-plan the Tour de France course for next year's tour so there's less chance of the Brits winning would they?

Post #: 95
RE: Cycling - 20/2/2013 8:45:19 AM   
Hobbitonlass

So, work is doing it's annual London to Brighton bike ride and I signed up for it yesterday. I've always wanted to do the big race but been put off by reports of people having to walk the first few miles due to the thousands and thousands who take part.

The ride with work comes with a Team Sky support car and mechanics (awesome!) If anyone is interested in doing this you can sign up for it here (you just need to pretend to be my friend )

http://www.facepartnership.com/SkyCycling/index.html

(in reply to Professor Moriarty)
Post #: 96
RE: Cycling - 22/4/2013 10:11:32 AM   
Hobbitonlass

So, manage to cycle to Brighton on Saturday!!

Bit hilly

It was way tougher than I expected and it was longer than the official L2B ride (it was 64 miles in total). I found the downhills the hardest as my vertigo kicked in and at some points I was going at walking pace on the bike but I didn't get off I walked Ditchling Beacon, that's a monster!

I'm surprised I didn't ache more yesterday or today but not complaining about that.

It was lovely having the bikes loaded on to a lorry at the end and then we could go off and relax in a hotel until the coach was ready to take us back to Hampton Court.

Post #: 97
RE: Cycling - 27/4/2013 5:34:11 PM   
Super Hans

Well done on the London to Brighton! This'll be the second year that I'd been planning to enter for the BHF one but haven't been able to fit it in. Maybe next year!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 98
RE: Cycling - 28/4/2013 10:29:24 AM   
benmharper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

So, manage to cycle to Brighton on Saturday!!

Bit hilly

It was way tougher than I expected and it was longer than the official L2B ride (it was 64 miles in total). I found the downhills the hardest as my vertigo kicked in and at some points I was going at walking pace on the bike but I didn't get off I walked Ditchling Beacon, that's a monster!

I'm surprised I didn't ache more yesterday or today but not complaining about that.

It was lovely having the bikes loaded on to a lorry at the end and then we could go off and relax in a hotel until the coach was ready to take us back to Hampton Court.

Well done Hobbs. That hill near the end looks a bit steep.

#3 member of The Wire fan club. PM Dantes Inferno to join.

Post #: 99
RE: Cycling - 28/4/2013 1:12:05 PM   
gingerdaniel

Nice work, i've done the BHF L2B Off Road before, that was 75 and tough. Been up Ditchling Beacon a few times while riding the south downs.

Luckily they do a London to Southampton (84miles) road ride which i've done too, i have to ride past my house to get to the finish line! Then 2 miles back home!

I've had my shiny Specialized Allez Elite for about 6 weeks now and havent been out for longer than 20miles, dying to but the weather's been so shit!

I couldn't spot it above but i've entered the RideLondon 100 in August, it's the 100mile Olympic road route (only round box hill once!) which i'm looking forward to.

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to benmharper)
Post #: 100
RE: Cycling - 28/4/2013 1:13:57 PM   
gingerdaniel

i've been doing events off this site too, they're not too expensive and pretty well run: www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk

They're run by the www.wiggle.co.uk folk, you get a nifty goody bag and there are food stations for free grub on the route.

I've done the Southern Rough Ride this year already, i was supposed to do the New Forest Sportive but it was cancelled due to weather and is rescheduled for beginning June.

Post #: 101
RE: Cycling - 19/5/2013 10:18:17 PM   
JV

I have had a bike for 14 years but spent 7 years in Newcastle without it and the past 2+ years without it too. When I moved to Nottingham 5 years ago, the house I was in had a shed so I brought my bike over and used it a lot, despite being a fairweather cyclist - used to do 7.5 miles each way to work a couple of times a week, and on occasion some longer ones. The most I've ever cycled is about 50 miles.

I am not a great cyclist, nor do I know the first thing about maintaining it really but I love it. When I bought my bike it was a total gamble as I hadn't ridden one in 12 years at that point and bought it as a cheaper alternative to getting an annual bus pass. Now my bike is so dear to me.

When I moved in with my now husband 2 years ago, we had nowhere to keep a bike so I left it at my old address (it was my mate's house) which is 20 miles away and not somewhere I could go easily or often on public transport so it stayed there until we got a shed, which was last week! So I put the bike into the local (20 miles away) bike shop for servicing last week and picked it up on Friday. My plan for getting it home had been to cycle 4 miles to the railway line that ran up near to where I lived then get off at a station that's 7 miles away and cycle from there but in the end I took the plunge and cycled the whole way, along NCN route 6 which is virtually door to door.

Now it was perhaps a foolish act as I am obese, not to mention that I hadn't cycled for over 2 years, but I loved it. It took me AGES, far longer than normal, although there is some hefty elevation involved and it only gets hillier. I admit that in the end I walked up some of the hills - never been a fan of them - but the important thing is that I arrived home with a huge smile on my face despite being absolutely exhausted, not to mention saddle-sore!

Now I am looking forward to getting out more on my silver steed - we live near some amazing cycle routes & countryside - and my husband is being given a secondhand bike by his mate so I will have some company, which is great as I have almost always been the only cyclist I knew, so it will be good to have someone else.

Love love love my bike, even though it's an ancient 10-speed rustbucket!

but love is the sky and i am for you
just so long and long enough

Post #: 102
RE: Cycling - 26/5/2013 6:07:11 PM   
gingerdaniel

Good work JV, it's not about the time taken but the journey taken!

I hate working 2 miles from work sometimes, the ride's nothing so i have to wait until the weekends or warm evenings to go out on long jollies.

My girlfriend has had a mountain bike for a few years but only rides it to the gym!
She's now using my old road bike while i'm on my shiny new one, she's finding cycling a chore rather than fun which i need to get her out of somehow!

This is us out today for 27 miles

(in reply to JV)
Post #: 103
RE: Cycling - 3/6/2013 8:01:53 PM   
gingerdaniel

Oh Jesus, i didn't realise those pics were so massive!

This is a shot from Saturday round the New Forest. I got a 'little' sun burnt!

Hooning

< Message edited by gingerdaniel -- 3/6/2013 8:02:34 PM >

Post #: 104
RE: Cycling - 8/7/2013 5:16:46 PM   
Super Hans

Has anyone here had any experience of riding a folding bike? If so, are they as difficult to ride uphill as I imagine they might be?

Post #: 105
RE: Cycling - 11/9/2013 1:27:49 PM   
DJ Satan

So a few weeks ago I was hit side-on by a driver not looking where he was going, and this morning I was assaulted as part of a road rage attack. It seems that it is now necessary to get a helmet-cam as cycling in Cambridge is getting so dangerous.

Can anyone recommend a good helmet-cam to use?

Don't try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person
You hadn't had enough to know what it's like
You're only angry cause you wish you were in my position
Now nod your head cause you know that I'm right..alright!

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 106
RE: Cycling - 11/9/2013 1:38:43 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Wow, that's awful DJ, hope you're okay.

I actually see a lot of cyclists now with helmet cams so guess a lot of why is this sort of thing. The ones I have seen are the Go Pro cameras and I think GingerDan has got one so will leave for him to expand on

(in reply to DJ Satan)
Post #: 107
RE: Cycling - 11/9/2013 1:41:32 PM   
Chief

47 miles on Sunday for the Pedal for Scotland event. Done it in 3.5 hours and never once thought it was too tough but, I need a different bike. My hybrid just isn't cut out for all those hills, it felt really heavy. I was standing up, puffing and panting and people on road bikes were sat down and cruising past me on some of the bigger hills. Another thing onto the shopping list for next year:

Post #: 108
RE: Cycling - 11/9/2013 1:47:45 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I had a hybrid with suspension that was really heavy so I got a hybrid without suspension and oh my god at the difference (as well as the weight, it was so light!!) - made cycling to Brighton from London almost a doddle.

Well done on the cycle event though Chief, awesome effort

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 109
RE: Cycling - 11/9/2013 2:39:45 PM   
Chief

Cheers again. I had another hybrid without suspension that I really liked, but the bike 'mechanic' that I was using made a pigs arse of fixing the bottom bracket and managed to break one of the pedals completely. I replaced it with this one but it's just not cutting it, I want a road bike.

I quite fancy one of those Go Pro cameras, if only to film my road/bike rage so I can watch it and remind myself to calm down.

Post #: 110
RE: Cycling - 11/9/2013 9:03:02 PM   
gingerdaniel

I've got a gopro hd hero 3. There are lots of moutnting options for the bike, i normally put mine on my handlebars, I've got a helmet mount too but it makes you look a bit like a tellytubby!

The helmet mount may be best if you're looking to record your commutes as it'll film what you see, rather than straight forwards.

There's a guy in london calling himself the bike droid, or something like that who films all the people playing on their phones etc while driving. Look it up!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 111
RE: Cycling - 6/7/2014 8:05:48 PM   
Captain Black

Anyone been to watch the Tour de France over the last few days, or going tomorrow? Harrogate was completely mental yesterday, though if Cavendish had actually won it I think a few people near me would have needed medical attention.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

Post #: 112
RE: Cycling - 18/7/2014 1:51:28 PM   
Super Hans

Has anybody ever converted a geared bike to a single speed? Is it relatively cheap/easy to do?

After having been without my bike for a couple of weeks waiting for it to be fixed (and my other bike still knackered after a crash until I can afford to fix it up), I'm planning on retrieving my old bike from my parents house as a back-up for my daily commute. It's a 90's rigid 'ATB' type thing - so sub 200 mountain bike-style bike which I suspect might need the much of the drive-train replacing. I'm half thinking that if I do have to spend money on it, I might do that for a bit of something different...

< Message edited by Super Hans -- 18/7/2014 4:50:38 PM >

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 113
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Cycling Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI