Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Cycling

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Cycling Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cycling - 22/6/2011 1:02:56 PM   
Chief

Purely for the event Hobbsy! The entry form said prizes for fancy dress so I thought it would be fun. I was the only one dressed up out of 400.

I did win a £25 voucher for my local bike shop.

(in reply to mad_looney)
Post #: 61
RE: Cycling - 22/6/2011 1:06:48 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

I was the only one dressed up out of 400.

Perhaps you were the only one NOT dressed up, and the other 399 were dressed as cyclists and you wear a Buzz Lightyear costume all year round.
C'mon Chiefy, admit it will ya?

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 62
RE: Cycling - 22/6/2011 7:32:07 PM   
gingerdaniel

How come you cycled it in your pjamas?

I got a flat tyre halfway through the cycle to work today, no spare tube, no tools, no pump. Starting to rain. "This'll be a good day"

3 cyclists went past me, the 4th stopped and asked if i was ok, i said i've got a flat and no kit. The lovely man let me borrow his tools and take his spare inner tube! I had nothing to repay the kind sir with, he said he didn't mind, he hopes someone'll do it for him one day. So now i need to get a little saddle back and spare tube for future occasions!

Road bikes are much more delicate than mountain bikes!

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 63
RE: Cycling - 23/6/2011 12:32:43 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

I was the only one dressed up out of 400.

Perhaps you were the only one NOT dressed up, and the other 399 were dressed as cyclists and you wear a Buzz Lightyear costume all year round.
C'mon Chiefy, admit it will ya?

Busted!

I find it more comfortable than 'normal' clothes.

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 64
RE: Cycling - 23/6/2011 12:53:21 PM   
talpacino

I hadn't been cycling in years until last week when I went for a 50KM cycle around the back arse of County Meath over here. We didn't really plan it out well and we just kept going, a bit too far in the end. Thinking I was great for keeping up but felt a bit stupid that I forgot about the cycle back.

About 30K around and my legs were like jelly and my ass was absolutely killing me. 3 hours it took in the end in the lashing rain before I got home. I could barely walk afterwards and I couldn't sit down properly for 3 days after, felt like I had been properly violated.

Still it was good fun and makes you feel better about lounging around playing xbox for the rest of the day and it's a good lesson I won't be forgetting. Looking at getting a decent bike for myself with a better saddle and hoping to make it a weekly thing.

Currahee!

It's a different film. It's a very different film! It's a different shark!

Suppose I shot ya..How'd that be?

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 65
RE: Cycling - 14/8/2011 10:59:03 AM   
Super Hans

Does anybody here use a pannier rack/bags with their bike?  I've been considering them for my commute since it can get a bit uncomfortable with a backpack, especially when it's very full (spare clothes, locks, waterproof, packed lunch etc) and I do wonder how long before I end up with a bad back and terrible posture!

I like the idea of making my bike carry the load rather than my spine, but do they affect the handling of the bike much or interfere with pedaling or anything?

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to talpacino)
Post #: 66
RE: Cycling - 16/8/2011 1:22:22 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

Does anybody here use a pannier rack/bags with their bike?† I've been considering them for my commute since it can get a bit uncomfortable with a backpack, especially when it's very full (spare clothes, locks, waterproof, packed lunch etc) and I do wonder how long before I end up with a bad back and terrible posture!

I like the idea of making my bike carry the load rather than my spine, but do they affect the handling of the bike much or interfere with pedaling or anything?

I've never used them myself, but I know a couple of people who do. Basically the answer is yes - they add a lot of weight to the bike itself, which then affects handling and you will notice it if any part of your commute is hilly. But, like all things exercise related, you'll eventually get used to it and you'll eventually work the bike taking that extra weight into account and, before you know it, you probably won't notice the difference.

I always have a backpack and also used to wonder about whether it would be detrimental to my back, but I consulted an acquaintance who is a professional marathoner (he's basically a walking/running billboard for several sporting goods manufacturers) and he said that, in his opinion, your posture when you're carrying weight on your back is more important than the weight itself. He pointed out that many athletes and hardcore sports hobbyists often train with weights on their back with no obvious problems. He also pointed out that opinion on the matter (both scientific and sporting) is divided. It's also worth further noting that cycling alone without any extra weight can be bad for your back, legs and pelvis if done incorrectly.

I've been commute-cycling (almost) daily for about six years now and have always had a backpack, although I should say it's quite a small backpack and, with everything in it, quite light weight. I've not noticed any back pain or posture problems so, unless you're saying you lug around a forty litre Karrimor which is busting at the seams on your back, I guess it just boils down to personal preference.

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 67
RE: Cycling - 17/8/2011 1:02:22 PM   
BishopQuaker

Normally I'd put this in the charity thread, but this seems a more appropriate place to put it.

This October sees the return of The Macc Monster!

Taking place in the Peak District around the Macclesfield area, riders will take in amazing scenery and highs and lows of the stunning countryside.

Covering just over 100 kilometres, the ride features very little flat land, with a number of challenging climbs.
In fact, you'll complete around 7000 feet of climbing over the entire course. The route has been organised to avoid A-roads as much as possible, and all parts of the course will be signposted along the way.

Aside from the bonus of raising vital funds for KidsCan Children's Cancer Research Centre, there are two other great reasons to take part.

1) Registration costs only £20!
2) FORME have offered a bike worth £700 to raffle when 300 sign up!

We've already had a few sign up and we've only just launched the site!
That's what I like to see - keen cyclists!

If you have any questions, please donít hesitate to ask!
Cheers

BQ

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 68
RE: Cycling - 17/8/2011 1:16:38 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans

Does anybody here use a pannier rack/bags with their bike?† I've been considering them for my commute since it can get a bit uncomfortable with a backpack, especially when it's very full (spare clothes, locks, waterproof, packed lunch etc) and I do wonder how long before I end up with a bad back and terrible posture!

I've never used them myself, but I know a couple of people who do. Basically the answer is yes - they add a lot of weight to the bike itself, which then affects handling and you will notice it if any part of your commute is hilly. But, like all things exercise related, you'll eventually get used to it and you'll eventually work the bike taking that extra weight into account and, before you know it, you probably won't notice the difference.

I always have a backpack and also used to wonder about whether it would be detrimental to my back, but I consulted an acquaintance who is a professional marathoner (he's basically a walking/running billboard for several sporting goods manufacturers) and he said that, in his opinion, your posture when you're carrying weight on your back is more important than the weight itself. He pointed out that many athletes and hardcore sports hobbyists often train with weights on their back with no obvious problems. He also pointed out that opinion on the matter (both scientific and sporting) is divided. It's also worth further noting that cycling alone without any extra weight can be bad for your back, legs and pelvis if done incorrectly.

I've been commute-cycling (almost) daily for about six years now and have always had a backpack, although I should say it's quite a small backpack and, with everything in it, quite light weight. I've not noticed any back pain or posture problems so, unless you're saying you lug around a forty litre Karrimor which is busting at the seams on your back, I guess it just boils down to personal preference.

Agree about the correct posture part.

When I used to commute, when it was my turn for the on call rota I had to carry my laptop around with me as well as clothes, locks, lunch etc so my backpack was pretty heavy.

Having done Spinning classes for years where they drum into you the importance of posture and seat height etc I never found I had a problem with back pain. The panniers are just as good though once you are used to them as I know lots of bike commuters with them.

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to great_badir)
Post #: 69
RE: Cycling - 17/8/2011 8:16:40 PM   
gingerdaniel

I've used panniers before for long distance rides like around france for a few days/a week. They make the bike a bit heavier and less maneuverable due to the change in weight from what you're used to. Also i can't jump as high through fear of popping the tyres!

On the upside, for commuting, it's much nicer to not to have to physically carry stuff.

Saying this, i have my work kit expertly packed in my 20l Berghaus bag.

You can kind of see the airflow part, it keeps the bag away from my back, so i don't get sweaty!

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 70
RE: Cycling - 23/8/2011 6:25:29 PM   
gingerdaniel

I've signed up for the London to Southampton road ride, it's on September 11th and finishes about 10mins from my house, 83 miles in total. Can't wait, seeing as i had a terrible run recently that's put me off racing for a while.

Post #: 71
RE: Cycling - 8/11/2011 7:59:58 PM   
Super Hans

Just realised I never came back and said thanks after the advice on bags - cheers guys! Good points about posture - in the end I decided I'd rather concentrate on that than affect the handling of my bike. I'm guessing panniers are prone to getting pretty filthy too!

Post #: 72
RE: Cycling - 16/1/2012 10:40:49 PM   
gingerdaniel

Ha, always remember THESE

< Message edited by gingerdaniel -- 16/1/2012 10:41:10 PM >

Post #: 73
RE: Cycling - 18/4/2012 10:17:33 PM   
mightybeansprout

Been doing a good bit of cycling the last 2 yrs, just gettin back into it now the evening are getting longer again. I do plenty of running and weights during the week so try to get some cycling in every wkend or two. It's tough finding someone to ride with all the time, Tal mustnt have recovered from the ride mentioned above, he still hasn't picked himself up a bike!

Xbox Live Gamertag: Smartian rt

You see Doughal, these cows are small, those cows are far away. Small, far away.........

Post #: 74
RE: Cycling - 8/5/2012 10:10:37 PM   
gingerdaniel

Yea, riding my yourself just isn't the same!

(in reply to mightybeansprout)
Post #: 75
RE: Cycling - 14/5/2012 12:12:39 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Due to the spectacular weather (well, the fact it wasn't raining!) yesterday I dusted off the bike and went out on it for the first time this year

Decided to try out a work route and one way took me straight down the Grand Union canal from start to finish in 50 mins so I think once the weather settles down permanently I shall be doing that regularly. The journey took me past a series of locks that raised/lowered (depending on the direction your're travelling in) 53ft and was ace to cycle past. Interesting history around these locks as well. One of the locks was called Asylum Lock and after googling it, I found that it was alongside the old Pauper and Lunatic Asylum

Weather's gone back to cold and wet today so bike is back indoors

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

Post #: 76
RE: Cycling - 24/5/2012 5:04:14 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Cycled in to work today and can't wait to get out of work to cycle home again Beats cosying up to smelly people on the Tube and bus!

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 77
RE: Cycling - 26/5/2012 6:15:45 PM   
gingerdaniel

I just bit the bullet and bought a road bike with some accessories. Just rode it home from Halfords and i can't wait to get out on it tomorrow for a lengthy blast round the new forest. Should be a hot one!

Post #: 78
RE: Cycling - 27/5/2012 6:27:22 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Due to the spectacular weather (well, the fact it wasn't raining!) yesterday I dusted off the bike and went out on it for the first time this year

Decided to try out a work route and one way took me straight down the Grand Union canal from start to finish in 50 mins so I think once the weather settles down permanently I shall be doing that regularly. The journey took me past a series of locks that raised/lowered (depending on the direction your're travelling in) 53ft and was ace to cycle past. Interesting history around these locks as well. One of the locks was called Asylum Lock and after googling it, I found that it was alongside the old Pauper and Lunatic Asylum

Weather's gone back to cold and wet today so bike is back indoors

I'm jealous of you cycling along the canal to work - my road commute is nowhere near as scenic! Still, beats the Met line and now that my 'Ride2work' payments have stopped on the bike, all those days I don't pay train fares is pure profit baby!

Post #: 79
RE: Cycling - 27/5/2012 6:40:01 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Do you not get the new funky air conditioned Met line out your way then?

I'm tempted to update my bike by utilising the Cycle scheme at work. Seems to work out a lot cheaper doing it that way. Did you find that Hans?

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 80
RE: Cycling - 27/5/2012 7:32:33 PM   
gingerdaniel

Yesterday i bought a roadie.
Last night i told my friend and she informed me she's doing THIS 70 mile event today.
I went with her, 4hours 52mins later and i'm shattered...

Luckily my years of mountain biking meant i've got the power to ride fast, however we normally ride for like 15-20 miles off road over 2/3 hours, this was a bit more intense, especially in the heat!

Post #: 81
RE: Cycling - 27/5/2012 9:56:11 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

Do you not get the new funky air conditioned Met line out your way then?

I'm tempted to update my bike by utilising the Cycle scheme at work. Seems to work out a lot cheaper doing it that way. Did you find that Hans?

We do, but £4.20 a day in fares? Pfft!

I really rate the cycle to work schemes, definitely agree that it's a cheaper way to buy a good quality new bike. I've never really taken the plunge and bought what I'd consider to be a genuinely good bike before, so being able to save a third on the price (you can save more I think, depending on what tax band you're in) and pay it off without really noticing was great. I spent £550 on the bike and a couple of accessories and was only about £31 lighter after tax each month.

I've been quite motivated to use it too since that was kind of my travel expenses, so if I didn't, I'd effectively be paying £120 a month on travel rather than £80 on the train alone. I don't cycle every day but with the exception of weeks with truly shite weather (mainly snow or very heavy rain), I've consistently done 3-4 days a week for the last year.

And even if you don't use it much for work, it's a good way to get a bike you otherwise might not have the cash up front for. My mate had no intention of using the bike for work, but went for a £900 Bianchi through his employer's scheme. Silly sod left the company within the year and had to pay it all back, but still...

Post #: 82
RE: Cycling - 22/7/2012 8:16:55 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Barring any major mishap. A Londoner from Kilburn should today win the Tour de France. Once an Olympic track champion and now the best time trialist in the world. Not too shabby at a hill either. COME ON BRADLEY WIGGINS !!!

Not really paid too much attention to the Tour de France but having it on at work I have found myself really interested. Motivated me to get back out on the bike as well (that and the weather of coursec)

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 83
RE: Cycling - 22/7/2012 9:02:01 AM   
Captain Black

Apparently the presenter on French TV had some stick on sideburns in tribute to "Wiggo".

I've been watching the Tour since the mid-'90s and considering there were some years when I don't think we even had any British riders in the whole field, to go from that to actually having a winner is astonishing -- all the more so when it's not been a nervous "biting your fingernails, can he do it?" victory as one of complete team and indivdual dominance.

Invisiotext:
[color=#F1F1F1]text[/color]

Post #: 84
RE: Cycling - 22/7/2012 10:33:56 AM   
gingerdaniel

I did the Round The Island route yesterday that goes round the Isle of Wight. It's advertised at 63 miles but somehow we did a 67.

Luckily it was nice and sunny and no wind, unfortunately it turns out that my road bike doesn't have enough low end gears, so i did start to flag towards the last 15 miles.

Here's the elevation, going down that big hill was fun!

Post #: 85
RE: Cycling - 22/7/2012 1:37:31 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Apparently the presenter on French TV had some stick on sideburns in tribute to "Wiggo".

I've been watching the Tour since the mid-'90s and considering there were some years when I don't think we even had any British riders in the whole field, to go from that to actually having a winner is astonishing -- all the more so when it's not been a nervous "biting your fingernails, can he do it?" victory as one of complete team and indivdual dominance.

They've been running a small competition at work. Best picture of someone with sideburns gets a signed Sky jersey, decided not to enter

I have found it surprisingly interesting to watch (maybe since I have started cycling more) and watching some of the hills they have to climb is amazing. I'd be off and walking just at the sight of them Love all the shows that the villagers and spectators put on as well.

Awesome achievement Dan!

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 86
RE: Cycling - 22/7/2012 5:36:26 PM   
directorscut

I see D. Cameron wasted no time in trying to piggy-back on the guy's success.

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

Post #: 87
RE: Cycling - 6/9/2012 9:54:07 PM   
gingerdaniel

Anyone been watching the 'Road To Glory' on Sky Atlantic? Pretty interesting i think.

I've just signed up for THIS beast, problem is that it's the day after the survival of the fittest in london! So i better get training...

Post #: 88
RE: Cycling - 6/9/2012 10:03:01 PM   
Hobbitonlass

I'm recording it Dan! Looks really interesting.

Good luck with that, are you doing the epic course?? Having been up and down Purbeck Hill in a car many times, rather you than me! I need to up my resistance training for Survival of the Fittest. What is your start time? Mine is 1pm.

Post #: 89
RE: Cycling - 6/9/2012 10:19:55 PM   
gingerdaniel

I'm 1pm wave also...

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Cycling Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI