Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Cycling

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Cycling Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Cycling - 30/3/2011 8:15:54 PM   
mad_looney

Decided to get back into cycling and since my old bike decided to eat its own chain bought this beauty last year http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/scott/sportster-p5-2009 i love it but havnt been out on it as much as i would like because i live in a really urban area that, well, boring and i dont have the stamina to ride to the shore. Any suggestions for a decent bike rack that would fit a small car? kinda need it soonish becasue i signed up to the liverpool chester bike ride in july and i have done very little on the road cycling so no idea how far i can go at the minute.
EDIT: a bike rack that can be set up by one person as my uncle lent me one and two of us couldnt get the damn thing to open!

< Message edited by mad_looney -- 30/3/2011 8:41:40 PM >

Head of Military and Defence for the Peoples Republic of Empiria

http://www.myspace.com/fudzistan

Have your eyes ever been checked?
No Doctor, they've always been blue

(in reply to Hobbitonlass)
Post #: 31
RE: Cycling - 30/3/2011 11:00:02 PM   
BishopQuaker

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: gingerdaniel

quote:

ORIGINAL: BishopQuaker

Any of you fancy taking part in PEAK 100?
www.peak100.co.uk

It's out 105km cycle sportive on Sunday 10th April.

Looks like a fun event, but it's about 4 hours away from me. Living as south as possible has it's problems!

That was my issue as well

It was bad enough doing a 54 miler in the New Forest last year, travelling and hour and a quarter.   I like the local ones    Does look good though!

WE've got people coming from Lodon to do it!

Post #: 32
RE: Cycling - 30/3/2011 11:04:31 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Any of you fancy taking part in PEAK 100?
www.peak100.co.uk

It's out 105km cycle sportive on Sunday 10th April.

Looks like a fun event, but it's about 4 hours away from me. Living as south as possible has it's problems!

That was my issue as well

It was bad enough doing a 54 miler in the New Forest last year, travelling and hour and a quarter. I like the local ones Does look good though!

WE've got people coming from Lodon to do it!

Lodon? Where's that? Somewhere oop north?

Edit: Nice bike Loon

< Message edited by Hobbitonlass -- 30/3/2011 11:05:23 PM >

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 33
RE: Cycling - 31/3/2011 9:15:23 AM   
BishopQuaker

Balls.

LONDON dammit!

Post #: 34
RE: Cycling - 13/4/2011 10:25:07 PM   
gingerdaniel

Haha, Brilliant http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13040607

Do you run? Check THIS out

(in reply to BishopQuaker)
Post #: 35
RE: Cycling - 22/4/2011 7:52:20 PM   
Super Hans

I used to love riding bikes when I was younger and bought myslef a cheap bike last year since I hadn't had one in the 3 years I'd been in London at that point.  After riding to work a few times (and stopping after some arsewipe kindly opened his car door in time for me to blunder into it!), I hadn't really used it much but since moving to Watford in January I've been using it more again.  It's quite good here - cycle paths and parks connecting local areas and the like.  I've decided to start riding to work again to get fit and save some money.  I work in Harrow so it's only 6 miles or so each way, going to have a couple of goes over the Easter break to suss out the route.

I wouldn't mind a better bike at some point.  I currently have a cheapie Apollo Slant (http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_762051_langId_-1_categoryId_165499) which I might buy some slick tyres for to ease the commute but if I continue to cycle a fair bit, I wouldn't mind a decent (but not overly pricey) racer or hybrid.  I have been bidding on a couple of cheap old school racers which kind of appeal!

Anyone got any recomendations for a decent cycle route round and about Watford/north West London?

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to gingerdaniel)
Post #: 36
RE: Cycling - 22/4/2011 9:24:30 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

ORIGINAL: Super Hans
but since moving to Watford in January I've been using it more again.

Completely off topic for this thread but I'm doing the Watford 10k on 2nd May :D

I cycle along the Grand Union canal a fair bit and made it out Watford way a couple of times but once you get past Rickmansworth it gets a bit thin on the path and overgrown (or it was last year so don't know if they have cut it back). Lovely ride

Cycle route 6 goes all the way from Watford to Keswick - http://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-we-do/national-cycle-network/route-numbering-system/route-6#cmsanchormap

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 37
RE: Cycling - 23/4/2011 4:56:34 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

quote:

but since moving to Watford in January I've been using it more again. 

Completely off topic for this thread but I'm doing the Watford 10k on 2nd May :D

I cycle along the Grand Union canal a fair bit and made it out Watford way a couple of times but once you get past Rickmansworth it gets a bit thin on the path and overgrown (or it was last year so don't know if they have cut it back). Lovely ride

Cycle route 6 goes all the way from Watford to Keswick - http://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-we-do/national-cycle-network/route-numbering-system/route-6#cmsanchormap

Nice one - is that the one in Cassiobury Park?  Best of luck!

I've been along the canal path a couple of times, although you're right, it's quie narrow between Rickmansworth and Watford - can make for slow progress when there are a lot of people out and about.  I quite like the Esbury Way cycle path too.  Do you have any other recommendations for local routes?

Well, I had a go at cycling what will be my route to work and it's not too bad - bit hilly in places so it should help me shift some of my 15 stone before my holiday in September!

It has made me realise that my hefty Apollo 'mountain bike' makes it quite hard work (especially in terms of the weight and shit gear changes) , so I've decided I'm going to take up my employer's 'Ride to Work' scheme at the end of the month!  I reckon I'll go for a 500 option, as the 23 a month payment is quite affordable and Evans, who run the scheme, seem to have quite a lot of hybrid bikes in that price range.

Anyone got any advice on the best makes to go for?  Not sure I can stretch to something like a Bianchi but there seem to be a lot of Kona, Specialized, Ridgeback, Pinnacle, Trek etc (and even a Canondale in the sale they have on at the mo) bikes in my price range - they're all tons better than what I have at the moment but any advice is appreciated.  Of course I'll be trying them out at the shop anyway but the more forearmed I am the better!

Post #: 38
RE: Cycling - 25/4/2011 2:08:03 PM   
gingerdaniel

Just been for a blast over the new forest on the road bike, 50km, feel pretty tired now, but at least Muppets Treasure Island is on tv!

Route stats HERE

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 39
RE: Cycling - 25/4/2011 5:56:34 PM   
Super Hans

Went for a ride from Watford to St Albans earlier, 20 mile round trip and a mixture of cycle paths & roads (think it's National Cycle Network route 6 - Colne Valley route).  Good fun!

(in reply to mad_looney)
Post #: 40
RE: Cycling - 25/4/2011 6:02:11 PM   
Hobbitonlass

quote:

Went for a ride from Watford to St Albans earlier, 20 mile round trip and a mixture of cycle paths & roads (think it's National Cycle Network route 6 - Colne Valley route). Good fun!

It certainly is

quote:

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 41
RE: Cycling - 25/4/2011 9:51:04 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

quote:

Went for a ride from Watford to St Albans earlier, 20 mile round trip and a mixture of cycle paths & roads (think it's National Cycle Network route 6 - Colne Valley route).  Good fun!

It certainly is

quote:

That's a serious bike ride!

Post #: 42
RE: Cycling - 26/4/2011 5:01:31 PM   
gingerdaniel

Just been out over The New Forest again for a 30km ride, then as soon as we got home went for a 5km run.

Due to the hills and the sun and the fairly decent times, i'm looking forward to the triathlon i'm doing in July, big confidence boost today. Just gotta fit a 800m lake swim in somehow...

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 43
RE: Cycling - 27/4/2011 12:26:17 PM   
mad_looney

Just ordered a bike rack, and bought some basic lights and a computer. Happy days now i'll be able to go to the shore and really know how far I go 

Head of Military and Defence for the Peoples Republic of Empiria

http://www.myspace.com/fudzistan

Have your eyes ever been checked?
No Doctor, they've always been blue

Post #: 44
RE: Cycling - 5/5/2011 10:12:48 PM   
Super Hans

Does anyone here own/ever used a single speed bike?  I'm getting a new bike through my work's Ride to Work scheme and I've been browsing the cycle shop site and keep getting drawn towards the single speeds.

My head says a hybrid will be best for my commute - road bike wheels, slick tyres, lighter than an MTB but with all the benefits of 24 or so gears.  However, liking retro stuff, I do like the look of the single speeds, like the idea of such a low maintenance bike and know that they are very light.  It also avoids the complications of picking out the best drivetrain components I can get for the price (I will have 550 to spend, although I'll probably need to get a good lock with that too).

My ride to work is about 6.5 miles each way, all road and fairly up-and-down.  Would single speed be sensible or just a daft whim I'd regret?  I know it probably varies depending on sprocket size, but does anyone know roughly what kind of gear a single speed would be comparable to (in the context of, say the 18 speed bike I currently ride)?

Post #: 45
RE: Cycling - 5/5/2011 10:35:08 PM   
gingerdaniel

Sounds reasonable enough for commuting, it'll be just like the 2nd front ring on a normal mountain bike, wouldn't be able to go too fast, but at the same time won't struggle on the hills.

Most bike shops will let you have a go, ask to arrange a test drive! See if you feel the gear range is something you'll use. Everyone's different on gear settings, depending on your fitness!

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 46
RE: Cycling - 9/5/2011 1:19:44 AM   
frankspencer1

Really wish I cycled more, just can't get into it.

How is the best way to fully get stuck in?

Post #: 47
RE: Cycling - 9/5/2011 4:13:26 PM   
Chief

After dithering about for a bit, I've decided to get a new bike. My birthday on Saturday and any coin I get will go towards this fella:

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B3870.html

Really only because I like the look of it. It's entry level and my budget is about 150.00. Thoughts? Any others I should be looking at?

(in reply to mad_looney)
Post #: 48
RE: Cycling - 9/5/2011 10:50:26 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

ORIGINAL: frankspencer1

Really wish I cycled more, just can't get into it.

How is the best way to fully get stuck in?

Depends what kind of riding you're into, BMX, XC, CycloCross, DH, UH, Road Racing...

Do you want to ride around in the woods? On the road/tracks? To work and back? Have you got a bike?

(in reply to frankspencer1)
Post #: 49
RE: Cycling - 9/5/2011 10:58:36 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

After dithering about for a bit, I've decided to get a new bike. My birthday on Saturday and any coin I get will go towards this fella:

Really only because I like the look of it. It's entry level and my budget is about 150.00. Thoughts? Any others I should be looking at?

Depends what kind of riding you're into, BMX, XC, CycloCross, DH, UH, Road Racing...

Yea looks like a good unit for the price, be ok for tearing up the roads! I get annoyed with my friend cruising on her hybrid as it keeps the speed really well.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 50
RE: Cycling - 10/5/2011 8:47:27 AM   
Chief

quote:

quote:

Yea looks like a good unit for the price, be ok for tearing up the roads! I get annoyed with my friend cruising on her hybrid as it keeps the speed really well.

Sound, probably will get it this weekend. Going to use it mainly for getting to work and there's a 20 mile circuit I used to cycle that's mainly road and cycle paths.

Edit: Might stick my name down for this: http://www.twocapitals.org/

Edit2: Bike on it's way and charity cycle entered!

< Message edited by Chief -- 18/5/2011 12:42:53 PM >

Post #: 51
RE: Cycling - 20/5/2011 8:47:55 AM   
Chief

Christened my new bike this morning with a cycle to work. Left the house in a T-shirt, got half way up the road and the heavens opened.

Fucking drenched.

But it was still good.

(in reply to mad_looney)
Post #: 52
RE: Cycling - 20/5/2011 6:37:47 PM   
gingerdaniel

quote:

Christened my new bike this morning with a cycle to work. Left the house in a T-shirt, got half way up the road and the heavens opened.

Fucking drenched.

But it was still good.

Yea, get used to that!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 53
RE: Cycling - 21/5/2011 9:00:05 AM   
jonson

Embarassingly, I'm taking my bike out this afternoon - for the first time this year
I've psen tevrey wekeend workign on my hosue or playing golf, and keep looking at my bike, knowing I've put half a stone on since Christmas but putting off the struggle I know I'm in for this afternoon. The annoying thing is I know that 3 or 4 rides in the space of a couple of weeks will make me feel so good, that absolute buzz you get when your legs are shaking and your heart pounding.
If I survive I'll report back on Monday

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

Post #: 54
RE: Cycling - 21/5/2011 10:39:09 AM   
Hobbitonlass

Good luck!

I need to get back on mine properly as well. Been out a couple of times but got the 54 mile Bikeathon on 26th June!!

Problem is, since I've got into running more the bike has taken a back seat as last year I was cycling to work but this year as I'm in the works running club we go out at lunchtime so think cycling in and then running at lunchtime might be overkill

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 55
RE: Cycling - 21/5/2011 2:24:23 PM   
great_badir

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson
I've psen tevrey wekeend workign on my hosue

Few bevvies there Jonson?

I've been cycling part of my 8 mile commute to work for four years now - I park up 3 miles outside of Bath centre and then cycle the rest, so 6 miles a day, 5 days a week.  All downhill on the way in, but on the way back it's all punishing San Francisco style hills, so a really good workout (I don't think I'm capable of doing the remaining 5 miles to home because of the three further enormous hills involved and also a couple of "fast" main roads which would terrify me on two wheels) - it's helped me lose 4 1/2 stone in weight in total (along with cutting back on the shit food, of course).  I also do the occasional bit of weekend pleasure riding along a local cycle path, when little lady Badir Junior allows it.

My current machine is a mid-range Cube hybrid (I was saving up for a new car but, in the end, realised I didn't really need a new car so instead of spending 7-8000 on a car, I spent 750 on the Cube and banked the rest - a bargain when you look at it in that way, even though it's not a "cheap" bike), but prior to that I used to always buy shitty Apollos from Halfords.  They get a lot of stick and, admittedly, they don't last an age if used regularly, but they do the job for a while and for way less then 100 I never had any complaints.  They're also the last target for bike thieves - I forgot to lock mine up once and it was left by a busy pavement for about 5 hours.  It was still there when I got back to it and it looked like it hadn't even moved.  Anything else probably wouldn't have lasted 5 minutes.

I am also currently sporting a bit of bicycle-penfifteen envy over someone else at work with a rather sexy looking Whyte hybrid.

Oh, and Hobbitonlass - I tried mixing the biking commute with running last summer.  I was very sensible about it and got some proper running shoes fitted for me, started slow and steady and made sure I either only ran on level ground, or kept changing sides of the road.  Unfortunately, three weeks in I tore the ligaments in both knees and was reduced to hobbling like an old man for about two months.  Later on the same summer I went to a mate's wedding and got chatting to one of his friends who is what I would describe as a professional athlete - he doesn't do the olympics or anything like that, but his job is basically to run loads of races and marathons and be an effective moving advertisement for various sporting goods manufacturers.  Anyway, I explained to him about my knee troubles and he said "some people just shouldn't run".  And he wasn't taking the piss, he meant it.  So that's me never running again

< Message edited by great_badir -- 21/5/2011 2:29:42 PM >

FAVE FILMS
BO BOMBS

(in reply to jonson)
Post #: 56
RE: Cycling - 21/5/2011 7:13:30 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

Fucking drenched.

But it was still good.

Exactly the same thing happened to me the first time I tried riding to work last year, the enthusiasm took over and I didn't check the weather forecast.  Was OK in the morning but I was like a drowned rat when I got home in the evening.  my clothes were sodden, right through to my underpants!

Bought my new bike through the Ride2Work scheme today: http://www.thebikelist.co.uk/trek/7-3-fx-2011.  Love it!  Looking forward to the commute more now I've got a lighter, smoother bike.  I've had a quick go on it this afternoon, it's so quiet compared to my Apollo.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 57
RE: Cycling - 30/5/2011 10:59:56 AM   
Chief

Out on Saturday morning for 14.5 miles. 3 miles in and it started pissing down AGAIN! Real heavy rain, I had to dive into a bus shelter for 10 minutes until it calmed down, I was soaked.

15 minutes later I was in brilliant sunshine.

Scottish weather, you can't beat it.

(in reply to mad_looney)
Post #: 58
RE: Cycling - 22/6/2011 12:43:52 PM   
Chief

Finished the 22 miles in under 2 hours in full Buzz Lightyear regalia.

(in reply to mad_looney)
Post #: 59
RE: Cycling - 22/6/2011 12:49:20 PM   
Hobbitonlass

Nice one Chief!   Guessing that was an event and not part of your normal commute to work?

I've got the London Bikeathon this weekend, 54 miles round London.  Just hope the weather picks up for it.  Change from last year when we did it on the hottest day of the year.......  Don't mind if it's not hot, just not wet and windy....

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Grandstand >> RE: Cycling Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI