Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Guide To Disney's 50 Animated Features

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Guide To Disney's 50 Animated Features Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Guide To Disney's 50 Animated Features - 27/1/2011 1:23:27 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
Enchanted? Partly animated and very funny. - 27/1/2011 1:23:27 PM   
ghulley

Where is this film on your list?

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
Enchanted? Partly animated and very funny. - 27/1/2011 1:23:49 PM   
ghulley

Where is this film on your list?

Post #: 3
Omissions - 27/1/2011 1:35:56 PM   
Murumasa

|What about Song of the South? The not fondly remembered now, but very popular and hugely moneymaking at the time. Although not mentioning the litany of straight to DVD crud that Disney also made is doing us a favour.

Post #: 4
- 27/1/2011 2:02:58 PM   
Bulla

Song of the South isnt an Animated Feature.

Post #: 5
- 27/1/2011 2:14:27 PM   
amycullen

I love this film!!! Its not that bad!

Post #: 6
RE Ommissions - 27/1/2011 2:32:56 PM   
JimTheGreat

This isn't a list by Empire writers, this is an official list by Disney themselves so stop complaining about certain films being missing etc. So no Mary Poppins, Song of the South, Bedknobs and Broomsticks and the great Enchanted and no Roger Rabbit. Official Disney animated films only annoyingly means missing some of those good films and featuring crap like Make Mine Music and Dinosaur. Oh and Meet the Robinsons is awful!!!

Post #: 7
THE JUNGLE BOOK! - 27/1/2011 3:14:42 PM   
Snake-Eyes

EASILY The Single Greatest Animated Feature produced by the House of Mouse. Simply beautiful and timeless.

Post #: 8
The Secret of Kells - 27/1/2011 3:32:04 PM   
murrakmr

The Secret of Kells animation isn't based on tapestry works at all but based on the art of the Book of Kells itself and the work of early Christian illuminated manuscripts. Was that not obvious from the plot of the film?

Post #: 9
The Flying Lanterns Scene In Tangled - 27/1/2011 7:56:07 PM   
Bighousewill

Can't wait to see Disney animated feature No. 50. However this seems odd to me my local cineworld is screening this in 3D and that lantern scene is meant to be good but I can't see this in 3D as my local cineworld has opted to include audio description(A D) for all the 3D shows. Imagine that, would you like to purchase a pair of 3D glasses? Er no I am blind. Okay that will be a tenner please.

Post #: 10
It's "de Vil", not "de Ville" - 27/1/2011 9:44:54 PM   
dayboy76

As a life-long Disney fan I'm absolutely loving this feature!! However, as One Hundred and One Dalmatians has been my favourite Disney film since I was 8-years-old and I tend to err on the pedantic side, I always get annoyed when Cruella de Vil is referred to as "Cruella de Ville". The whole point of the name (in Dodie Smith's original novel, and therefore also the film) is that it is essentially "devil", and NOT that she is French and "of town". It winds me up almost as much as when I see Dalmatians incorrectly spelt as "Dalmations".
OK, rant over. Love you Empire!!

Post #: 11
Who Is Hiss? - 27/1/2011 10:28:24 PM   
ingloriouslanda

The snake in the Jungle Book is Kaa. For all the love it gets you think names would be a factor

Post #: 12
Hercules!! - 28/1/2011 2:15:30 AM   
khodges90

I have to agree...Hercules is certainly underrated and one of the best Disney films ever made, its certainly my favourite ever Disney animated feature....

Plus you gotta love Danny Devito's Philoctetes aka Phil as the voice of a rather short satyr....coincidence?

Post #: 13
RE: Who Is Hiss? - 28/1/2011 2:24:29 AM   
Briar Rose

Indeed, Kaa is Jungle Book... Hiss is Robin Hood... basically the same character in some ways so I suppose an understandable mix up, but I expect better Empire!

"Peas and rice!"

"That doesn't make sense to me... but then you are very small... Perhaps you're right."

(in reply to ingloriouslanda)
Post #: 14
Aladdin, without a doubt - 28/1/2011 10:13:12 AM   
Boromirs Redemption

Even though I'm a pretty cynical individual, I do really have a soft spor for Disney films. I haven't seen all 50 yet, but I certainly intend to. My top five (in no particular order until number one) are: Robin Hood (the one that most reminds me of growing up - I used to watch this all the time as a kid), Beauty and the Beast (stunning animation, amazing score), The Lion King (obviously), The Little Mermaid (Sebastian - genius). But number one is definitely Aladdin for me. I remember seeing at the pictures with my family like it was yesterday and being blown away by the frenzied Genie. The songs are great, the hero and heroine aren't actually wooden like a lot Disney leads, the colours are memorable and the story bounces along well. But it would be merely an ordinary one without Robin Williams, I've never laughed so much at anything Disney have done, because of him, and the animation that went with him. Brilliant stuff.

Post #: 15
RE: The Flying Lanterns Scene In Tangled - 28/1/2011 10:21:38 AM   
Scruffybobby

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bighousewill

Can't wait to see Disney animated feature No. 50. However this seems odd to me my local cineworld is screening this in 3D and that lantern scene is meant to be good but I can't see this in 3D as my local cineworld has opted to include audio description(A D) for all the 3D shows. Imagine that, would you like to purchase a pair of 3D glasses? Er no I am blind. Okay that will be a tenner please.

Whilst it does seen a bit odd that they would have AD on 3D film that's no barrier to you seeing it, the AD is carried on an infrared signal available via hearing aids or special headphones like you get in museums and galleries, it's not part of the main audio.

< Message edited by Scruffybobby -- 28/1/2011 10:44:39 AM >

I want to taste you like yogurt.

(in reply to Bighousewill)
Post #: 16
RE: The Flying Lanterns Scene In Tangled - 28/1/2011 1:20:02 PM   
a_osmond

As the writer of the entries on 'Sleeping Beauty' and 'Dalmatians,' apologies for the mispelling of 'de Vil.' Re murrakmr's complaint, he rightly points out that Kells is based on illuminated manuscripts. However, I'd still argue there are parallels between the art styles of Kells and Beauty; most obviously in that they both recreate medieval ideas of perspective. 

(in reply to Scruffybobby)
Post #: 17
OMISSION - 28/1/2011 3:37:14 PM   
jm.cathelotte

What about this piece of crap that is
THE WILD
It was an "official Disney" as far as I remember...

Post #: 18
RE: Sleeping Beauty - 28/1/2011 5:11:27 PM   
HighwayJoe

I'm surprised Andrew Osmond did not point out how Prince Philip was the first Disney Prince to a) actually have a name and b) actually have a personality. He is by far one of THE best Disney Princes--right up there with The Beast, Simba and [by proxy] Aladdin [hey, if Cinderella counts as a Princess via Royal Marriage, so does Aladdin].

Post #: 19
RE: Sleeping Beauty - 28/1/2011 5:53:42 PM   
BrooksyTHX1138

The list is of the 50 films the Disney Corporation refer to as the 'Disney Animation Canon', this is not a list compiled by Empire. So stop moaning about it, its not their fault. I personally thought it was a fantastic article/list. Maybe be a bit more detailed in some of the more obscure films, but then again it gives me some incentive to research them off my own back. And seriously, having a dig at some typos? Some people have far too much time on their hands. Well done Empire, i loved it

(in reply to HighwayJoe)
Post #: 20
Hnh - 28/1/2011 6:04:10 PM   
HighwayJoe

"...the bunny rabbits and deer who turn up to help with the housekeeping in your average Disney movie."

So the Empire staff writes quick summaries of 50 Disney movies--thereby proving that housekeeping animals only actually appear in 2-3 Disney movies [Snow White, Cinderella and (only marginally, as no dishes are actually washed) Sleeping Beauty]--and they STILL feel the need to trot out this tired and inaccurate joke?

"Animated animal" does not always equal "cute" in Disney. In fact, in most cases it just equals "characters."

Post #: 21
- 29/1/2011 1:28:16 PM   
talkstoomuch

Robin Hood, definitely

Post #: 22
Fantastic Article - 29/1/2011 10:49:47 PM   
moviebuff_11

Literally spent the last 40 minutes reading the whole thing, missed phone calls and ignored my door being knocked on

Post #: 23
RE: OMISSION - 30/1/2011 7:55:06 AM   
GomJabber11

That one was released through Disney, but it was made be a different studio. (like Valiant, Brave Little Toaster or any of the Pixar films) I didn't like that one either.

(in reply to jm.cathelotte)
Post #: 24
RE: OMISSION - 1/2/2011 8:38:54 AM   
benthemitchell

If you look at the list of the 50 "Classics" included within a great many of the Disney DVDs, then you are correct, it lists The Wild there, and Dinosaur is not listed.

However, I'm pretty sure that a great many people would not even consider including The Wild. The true Disney Classics have a certain standard, and as far as I'm concerned, it wasn't met in this film.

As for me, the top five have got to be Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Hercules, The Jungle Book, and Aladdin. I feel a trip to the cinema with my daughter is needed this weekend to see Tangled!

(in reply to jm.cathelotte)
Post #: 25
RE: OMISSION - 1/2/2011 12:37:50 PM   
Helen OHara

This is the list Disney used; don't blame us for any omissions. I admit it's a strange one in some respects...

"I never understood drinking. It isn't good for your looks, and it cuts down on what you are. I never wanted to cut down on what I am." - Mae West

"Movies are forever, and sex doesn't last" - Mae West.

(in reply to benthemitchell)
Post #: 26
RE: OMISSION - 2/2/2011 11:28:25 AM   
primebhoy

Anyone having problems getting the feature to open?

'Old Man your about one C**t hair away from hillbilly heaven' - Blade II

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 27
RE: Guide To Disney's 50 Animated Features - 5/2/2011 4:26:27 AM   
raymondtt

There is no film on the list?

www.impacthgv.co.uk

Post #: 28
RE: OMISSION - 8/2/2011 9:13:23 AM   
JIm R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Helen OHara

This is the list Disney used; don't blame us for any omissions. I admit it's a strange one in some respects...

I was going to say, you seem to be getting panned for every mistake Disney have ever made. A bit unfair, you present an article as a favour and what thanks do you get

(in reply to Helen OHara)
Post #: 29
Pinocchio - 4/3/2011 4:51:19 PM   
lizzygilly

i love disney, but i have to say that pinocchio is the one film in this list of 50 that i actually hate. it's creepy and scary and the boy turning into a donkey still gives me nightmares.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Feedback] >> Empire Online >> Guide To Disney's 50 Animated Features Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI