Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Neds - 22/1/2011 12:54:27 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Ned bad at all me laddy! - 23/1/2011 4:42:30 PM   
Qwerty Norris

A tough, uncompromising coming of age tale in 70s Glasgow that is enriched of authenticity which is of no surprise given that it's a Peter Mullan film and undoubtedly works as a companion-piece to Gillies MaKinnon's 'Small Faces.' Whilst the narrative in itself is well worn and in particular, begins to lose sense of where it wants to go in its final act; there can be no faults in the performances of the predominantly-amateur young cast. Newcomer Conar McCarron perfectly fills the shoes of a bright young lad drawn to the dark side as a result of unacceptability, frustration and pre-judged opinions by the predominantly-intolerable adults represented on screen. His journey, whilst not always fully believable in itself convinces given the nature and subtlety of his performance and one can only hope that the recent act of barbarism by his own father doesn't get in the way of what could be a promising acting career. It's a film with plenty of dialogue (specifically ned banter), yet it's one that tells its story and conveys the characters' emotions through their body language.

Another fine aspect of 'Neds' is its look and feel in the compositions. Dramas verging on the kitchen sink have a tendency to emphasis on the greys and blacks, resulting in frequent colourless affairs not so here. Mullan and his D.O.P. inject a level of visceral poetry to the screen, using tones of blues and reds to both reflect the mood and provide some visually arresting visuals in the process.

It's difficult to determine how much of an audience outwith Scotland 'Neds' will connect with, but for those willing to give it a chance you'll be hard-pressed to find a better example of a story about the concept of growing up in a challenging environment at the cinema this year - another excellent addition to the back catalogue of Peter Mullan. 

4/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph
Post #: 2
RE: Ned bad at all me laddy! - 27/1/2011 10:07:21 AM   
Wild about Wilder

A really exellent film tough, griity & thoroughly engrossing. How Peter Mullen got these kids with no acting experience to give performances like this is Amazing especially the main lead who if he decides to take this on as a career I see a long & fruitfull journey ahead of him. 8/10

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 3
RE: Neds - 2/2/2011 12:15:04 AM   
demoncleaner

It's the January/February cliche - you see a film early in the year and find yourself saying "I can't imagine seeing anything better in the months to come".

Well for me Neds is that movie in early 2011.  

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 4
RE: Neds - 2/2/2011 11:17:50 AM   
undisputed3

good dramatic movie

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 5
Teen drama masterclass - 26/5/2011 4:36:52 PM   
TonyShj

having recently seen the execrable Cemetery Junction I think someone should sit Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant in front of Peter Mullan's Neds in order to show them how to cast, shoot, design, direct yourself and write convincing dialogue for your own coming of age drama. I agree with the Empire reviewer who say that the third act is baggy but this remains a beautifully written, expertly shot and flawlessly performed teen drama. Cemetery Junction looks like a Ken Korda production next to it. Baggy third act or not (I love the final scene, however), I'm giving this five.

< Message edited by TonyShj -- 26/5/2011 4:37:56 PM >

Post #: 6
just good movie . - 1/10/2011 9:25:40 PM   
soulfood

A Brutal & Utterly Brilliant Movie

Post #: 7
RE: Neds - 14/1/2012 6:16:21 PM   
JohnChard

A pounding, sledgehammer of a movie, the religious imagery slipping into bizarro world taints it slightly, but this is still master film making and the comparisons of it being Ken Loach meets Shane Meadows are spot on. It's a good thing is that. 10/10

"Out you get Hooky, you`ve done your bit"

Post #: 8
RE: Neds - 17/1/2012 10:56:54 AM   
mackey

Saw this last night. Really good film, great performances by the young cast. The subject matter has been dealt with many times before but Mullan makes it seem fresh. The ending was really beautiful too I thought.

I know that look; it's the same look my father gave me when I told him I wanted to be a ventriloquist.

(in reply to JohnChard)
Post #: 9
RE: Neds - 26/1/2012 4:08:09 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Wondering can anybody let me know if this is elegable for this years Empire awards?
Cos if it is will be getting a vote in 2 categories from me.

(in reply to mackey)
Post #: 10
RE: Neds - 11/2/2012 1:36:51 AM   
Spaldron

Just saw this and was quite impressed by Mullan's effort (and his small performance in it). Kudos to the lead and supporting cast for providing the film with pure Glaswegian authenticity, speaking as a Scot even I couldn't understand half the dialogue. The review is right about the film losing its way towards the third act and I felt there wasn't enough of a resolution to John's story. However the films first 90 minutes make it worth the watch. 3/5

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Neds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI