Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 8/10/2012 11:40:17 AM   
discodave101

I miss Jimmy's character too and, although I loved the opening seasons episode, I found this weeks to be very slow and more than a little dull. I don't like it when we don't have Michael Shannon's character in there somewhere

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to Citizen Dildo)
Post #: 121
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 8/10/2012 11:54:33 AM   
Whistler

I've loved every minute of season 3 so far (but then I am a Boardwalk bitch). Jimmy was a great character and I do miss him, but I haven't felt like the show's been missing something since his death like I thought I would. There are enough good characters to fill the void. I'm really looking forward to seeing where the whole Rosetti storyline goes. I just know something bad's going to happen.

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 122
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 10/10/2012 12:00:35 AM   
Spider

Episode 2 was quite a let down after the season opener. Really don't care about Kelly McDonald - her Irish accent has been annoying from the start and the hospital plot seems crowbarred in to give her something to do other than be the person cheated on by Nucky. In fact, the fact that they have become estranged so quickly has left me feeling a little shortchanged - it seemed like the whole reason Nucky fell for her was the fact that she was 'different' to his normal partners - and whilst I suppose their estrangement was inevitable it seems to have come at least a season too soon. The period of them growing apart seems to have occurred between seasons 2 and 3. I understand that it's to do with her giving the land to the church but, given the amount of time devoted to their relationship so far, I think we needed to see a bit more about how this changed the dynamics of their day-to-day living together.

Also getting worried that a lot of time is being devoted to things you kind of know aren't going to be important in about a season's time. Chalky's daughter's marriage, Van Alden's weird relationship, Nucky's latest fling. I can't understand why they haven't brought Al Capone and Rothstein (still my favourite) into it more. Van Alden and Harrow seem to be treading water a bit. Both need to get more involved with the main events (I don't know how Harrow is going to but I really hope he does).

Anyway, sure it will be back on form soon. Love the show, but once you get this far in you can start to see where the important threads are forming and it's easier to see what is likely going to be less important further down the line.

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 123
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 11/10/2012 7:23:19 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I was a little disappointed in the latest episode. Seemed like a lot of filler.....

Who are your favourite (still alive) characters?

1. Rothstein
2. Chalky White
3. Al Capone

It's really tough trying to pick a top three. The likes of Nuckie, Van Alden and Eli are also great charcters......

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 124
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 11/10/2012 11:15:39 PM   
boaby

I can't believe the relatively mild fall-out from Kelly McDonald's character giving away the land Nucky strived so hard to make priceless. She gets the hoose and ample means? Seriously?

I wanna see more of Jimmy's war buddy. And Chalky. And Rothstein.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 125
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 12/10/2012 12:56:16 AM   
Whistler

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

Who are your favourite (still alive) characters?

1. Rothstein
2. Chalky White
3. Al Capone

It's really tough trying to pick a top three. The likes of Nuckie, Van Alden and Eli are also great charcters......

1. Harrow
2. Rothstein
3. Owen Slater

Eddy's Film Review
Latest: Need For Speed, Under The Skin, 300: Rise Of An Empire

Post #: 126
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 12/10/2012 3:00:57 PM   
borstal

Rothstien
Van Alden
Nuckie

and pretty much every character in the whole damn thing.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 127
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 12/10/2012 6:55:04 PM   
Rinc

I'm loving every character at the moment too.

Tough decision but top three would have to be:

1. Chalky White
2. Harrow
3. Owen Slater

Honorable mentions to Rothstein, Rossetti, Eli, Lucky and Lanksy

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 128
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 15/10/2012 10:23:53 AM   
borstal

This is bubbling along nicely. Theres so much tension in everything thats going on at the moment I cant wait for the explosion. I pity anyone that thinks Nuckie has let them off somehow.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 129
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 18/10/2012 11:04:09 AM   
Qwerty Norris

Without giving anything away (don't see a US thread to comment on), I would say this season has been a let down so far. It has been disappointingly pedestrian far too often (casing point, everything involving Margaret right now. I pretty much sigh every time she appears at the moment).

Episode 4 was excellent, the rest though has been a great big giant meh.

Favourite characters?

1. Harrow
2. Capone
3. Van Alden SLIGHT SPOILER - (although his storyline is getting increasingly absurd)

Honourable mention to Rothstein.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 130
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 18/10/2012 11:20:54 AM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

Without giving anything away (don't see a US thread to comment on), I would say this season has been a let down so far. It has been disappointingly pedestrian far too often (casing point, everything involving Margaret right now. I pretty much sigh every time she appears at the moment).

Favourite characters?

1. Harrow
2. Capone
3. Van Alden SLIGHT SPOILER - (although his storyline is getting increasingly absurd)

Couldn't disagree more. I think this season has been great. For the first time in 3 seasons I'm finding Margaret slightly interesting.

Favourite characters.

1. Harrow
2. Chalky White
3. Rothstein

The last episode was excellent, won't mention it here though, I'll dig out the US thread.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 131
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 18/10/2012 11:28:10 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

Favourite characters?

1. Harrow
2. Capone

Couldn't disagree more. I think this season has been great. For the first time in 3 seasons I'm finding Margaret slightly interesting.

Favourite characters.

1. Harrow
2. Chalky White
3. Rothstein

The last episode was excellent, won't mention it here though, I'll dig out the US thread.

Fair enough. Everything though to this point has been far too sporadic for me, whilst the central antagonist is a walking cliché that I just can't get interested in.

Still looks terrific though, but that's the very least I'm expecting.

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 132
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed WHATS WRONG WITH YOU LOT! - 24/10/2012 8:10:16 AM   
borstal

Whats going on Empire?!

I look for the BE thread and its halfway down the second page. Shocking.

I finally got to see Saturdays episode last night and as usual of late I was quite tired when watching it. This makes it harder for me to follow all the plotlines etc. I was thinking that for previous seasons I really analysed the episodes as I was watching them but this season I havent been doing that as much. So after watching it and going to bed instead of the old brain shutting off it started going over Boardwalk.

What a fucking episode.

The whole thing with the young guy. My brain was saying all the way through that Nuckie would kill him but at every turn you were lead to believe that he'd let him live and he'd join up. Not only throught the script and the character itself but through the acting. As mentioned earlier its hard to pick a top 3 characters from the show and this episode shows why. That one off character was better acted than 90% of characters on other shows. My heart was saying 'this is the new Jimmy' but my head as stubborn and old as it is fully disagreed. All of that with the stolen booze, hiding in the basement, the cheeky young upstart kid, all of that shot in the back of the head by Nuckie to remind Owen of what happens if you cross the boss.

The other thing I liked was the Capone side story. I loved how it suggested how he garnered his reputation. All the public saw of him in this episode was the ridiculously violent attack on the other gangster in the bar, we got to see him trying to help his son (who didnt want to give the little boy a hug when he got upset? I really welled up) at first by trying to get him to hit back and then playing him music.

Finally the whole Eli bit showing his worth with Mickey thinking he was right (again).

Its too good and if this drops off the first page please expect to find me knocking on your door.

Post #: 133
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed WHATS WRONG WITH YOU LOT! - 25/10/2012 6:40:48 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Yes. Really enjoyed this weeks episode. I love any episode that shows more of Al Capone and his story/struggle. He's such a fantastic character.

I have to say I thought Nuckie was going to let him go, especially after the nightmares/visions he's been having of a young Jimmy after he offed him but alas, no. Nuckie showed once again why he's top dog and you forget that at your peril. Can't help but think Doyle is in for a whole new world of pain this week.....

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 134
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed WHATS WRONG WITH YOU LOT! - 25/10/2012 4:27:46 PM   
Sinatra

quote:

Yes. Really enjoyed this weeks episode. I love any episode that shows more of Al Capone and his story/struggle. He's such a fantastic character.

I have to say I thought Nuckie was going to let him go, especially after the nightmares/visions he's been having of a young Jimmy after he offed him but alas, no. Nuckie showed once again why he's top dog and you forget that at your peril. Can't help but think Doyle is in for a whole new world of pain this week.....

This sums up exactly what I wanted to say... slow start to the series, but this episode was class in a glass.

Las Vegas is the only place I know where money really talks--it says, "Goodbye."

Post #: 135
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed WHATS WRONG WITH YOU LOT! - 28/10/2012 7:49:18 AM   
Fit Kisto

Episode 5 had some standout moments for the season so far.

Scorsese must have given his approval for the overhead shot they used at the end. Handy that he's a producer on the show.

Chalky's private show was very funny.

And I was expecting Nucky to break into a Charles Foster Kane slow-clap when he was watching the rehearsal at the end.

There is no Swamp Ape. It was invented for people who can't find the actual world fascinating. Y'know?

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 136
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed WHATS WRONG WITH YOU LOT! - 28/10/2012 9:28:46 AM   
Rinc

Absolutely loving this series, would have posted more about it but having Internet problems! Every episode has something memorable at the moment.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Fit Kisto)
Post #: 137
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed WHATS WRONG WITH YOU LOT! - 30/10/2012 3:10:23 PM   
borstal

Just a fucking big bag of wow every episode. That was was just ridiculously enjoyable.

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 138
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed WHATS WRONG WITH YOU LOT! - 30/10/2012 4:11:54 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Fantastic episode from start to finish.

Rothsteins hit didn't go to plan. Shit is going to get messy....

What the hell was with Van Aldens 'wife'?! Crazy bitch!

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 139
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed WHATS WRONG WITH YOU LOT! - 1/11/2012 2:41:06 PM   
borstal

How far ahead is the US speed thread? Does most of the discussion go on in there?

Post #: 140
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed WHATS WRONG WITH YOU LOT! - 1/11/2012 2:45:39 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

How far ahead is the US speed thread? Does most of the discussion go on in there?

US thread is more dead than this one.

I think US speed is 2 episodes ahead, I watched episode 7 last night. I'd stay out if I were you, my latest post is fairly spoilerific.

< Message edited by Harry Tuttle -- 1/11/2012 2:46:19 PM >

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 141
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed WHATS WRONG WITH YOU LOT! - 2/11/2012 1:30:00 PM   
borstal

Damn. How can two threads on the most amazing show on televion be so quiet? Just how many people post on Empire as much as they used to?

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 142
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed WHATS WRONG WITH YOU LOT! - 2/11/2012 1:35:09 PM   
discodave101

quote:

Damn. How can two threads on the most amazing show on televion be so quiet? Just how many people post on Empire as much as they used to?

In Small Screen - I think there's about 20 of us in total!

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 143
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed WHATS WRONG WITH YOU LOT! - 3/11/2012 10:11:57 AM   
Citizen Dildo

I'm still not feeling it this year, after episode 5.

Rosetti is a character we've seen so many times before, it's just not an interesting dynamic. Episode 5 had so many problems for me:

* Nucky is fascinated with Billie. Why exactly? Not for any reason we've seen on screen that's for sure.
* Margaret - don't think I need to say anymore.
* Chalky is now Nuckys errand boy if he is having love life problems. Really!
* Van Alden still being in the show makes no sense at all. Trying to shoe horn him into Capones plot is over reaching way too much. Do the writers really feel this is tru to their story? Total bollocks.
* The botched hit. As soon as we see its Benny we know he's getting out alive. Also once he's in the building, should Lansky or someone else not be following him in to take care of Rosetti's other men? How did they expect him to get out alive? Would they not have taken care of the actual paper boy also? What if he turned up earlier?

The scene with Nucky and Rothstein was electric - that's what the show needs, not Margaret teaching women about their cycle! Hopefully some of the strands start to come together soon. A focus on Luciano vs Masseria in NYC would be a lot more interesting.

They really need to lose some characters though, the plot can't service Van Alden, Chalky, Gillian etc.

Why would anyone ever wanna leave Baltimore?

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 144
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed WHATS WRONG WITH YOU LOT! - 3/11/2012 11:06:34 AM   
borstal

I have faith that all of the complaints (rightly made) above will become relevant in time.

Post #: 145
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed WHATS WRONG WITH YOU LOT! - 6/11/2012 8:53:28 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

* The botched hit. As soon as we see its Benny we know he's getting out alive. Also once he's in the building, should Lansky or someone else not be following him in to take care of Rosetti's other men? How did they expect him to get out alive? Would they not have taken care of the actual paper boy also? What if he turned up earlier?

The thing that annoyed me about this was the fact the paper boy turned up. Like he would just walk into a building whilst there's multiple gunshots being fired. Poor writing.

Post #: 146
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed WHATS WRONG WITH YOU LOT! - 12/11/2012 12:19:00 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Really disappointed in the last two episodes. I want to put it down to character development but I just get the feeling it's all filler.

I like the political stuff surrounding Nuck and the AG but that's about it. I find the Margaret/Owen storyline boring (the fallout will be epic though), the Gillian thing with the Jimmy look a like was just plain filler, Richard and his love interest/father could be good but it's not what I want to see after being invested in this for the past two and a half seasons. I want more Chalky, more Al Capone, more Rothstein, more Lucky, more Van Alden and most of all more Rosetti! They're the characters and storylines I'm invested in!

Looking forward to Rosetti going to war though

Post #: 147
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed WHATS WRONG WITH YOU LOT! - 12/11/2012 2:04:08 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

Damn. How can two threads on the most amazing show on televion be so quiet?

Probably because there's no space ships, robots, aliens, time travelling islands, pixies, elfs, vampires, werewolves & other fantastical (maybe even nonsensical) tropes. It would also explain why one of the best shows on television currently has only 13 pages dedicated to it - despite being midway through it's fifth season.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

Looking forward to Rosetti going to war though

< Message edited by Qwerty Norris -- 12/11/2012 2:10:12 PM >

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 148
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed WHATS WRONG WITH YOU LOT! - 12/11/2012 2:21:21 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

It would also explain why one of the best shows on television currently has only 13 pages dedicated to it - despite being midway through it's fifth season.

That might be because it hasn't been picked up by a UK channel as well though.....

Post #: 149
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed WHATS WRONG WITH YOU LOT! - 12/11/2012 8:34:35 PM   
Rgirvan44

So we are all pretty much expecting Nucky to get Harrow to come and help take out Gyp and his gang, right?

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI