Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 31/10/2011 8:55:00 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: discodave101

I'm still watching too, and loving it. Michael Shannon really is all sorts of awesome.

Kelly McDonalds character really is a complex one. One minute you think she's great (with her cunning retrieval of the money for Nucky) then next you think she's a complete witch (treatment of the household staff).

When the Commodore started having his stroke, I actually chanted 'DIE!'. The ending was sadistically gratifying.

To be fair she was being nice to them ... but then they got a bit too close. Guess it would be hard to balance but they are "the help" ... Did she actually reduce their pay? At first it seemed as if she was going to but then gave them the bonus Nucky suggested anyway?!

Alas I've watched the last three episodes now. Great stuff ... though Nucky still seems seriously out gunned. Where's his muscle? I know he's more dodgy business man than mob boss ... but others aren't thinking in that manner. I guess he has that Irish lad now ... though there were hints that his missus may be drawn to him.

Chalky White haha loving his screen time right now. I could see that argument with his family coming. Feeling for him though. Obviously dodgy but he's clearly sincere about looking after his community, and he's not in a great position right now.

The Commadore and co ... not off to the best start! The restaurant scene was great .... even though Nucky would have had his arse kicked, which makes it all the more awesome.

All in all great stuff.  

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 91
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 29/11/2011 10:21:53 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Oh Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy.....underestimate Nucky at your peril, he should heed Eli's warning. Show is still going strong, absolutely fantastic stuff and it was an unexpected twist for Nucky to reveal he's going to Ireland. Rothstein and Capone are still two of my favourite characters though. Complete opposites but both pretty ruthless....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to the anomaly)
Post #: 92
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 29/11/2011 12:32:14 PM   
borstal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

Oh Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy.....underestimate Nucky at your peril, he should heed Eli's warning. Show is still going strong, absolutely fantastic stuff and it was an unexpected twist for Nucky to reveal he's going to Ireland. Rothstein and Capone are still two of my favourite characters though. Complete opposites but both pretty ruthless....

Jimmy is all over the place. One moment he's floundering not doing what he wants but what others (especially his very close mum!) tell him. The next he thinks he's flying high. He'd better watch out for Nuckie and I really wouldnt want to fuck that jewish butcher around.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 93
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 29/11/2011 12:38:07 PM   
theieuan

quote:

Absolutely love this show. I reckon that Jimmy's in way over his head. Really not a great idea to mess with Manny as well. Rothstein is arguably the best character as he does have the best dialogue. Can't wait for Saturday's episode.

You know, this place makes me wonder...Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?

Post #: 94
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 29/11/2011 10:43:13 PM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: theieuan

quote:

Absolutely love this show. I reckon that Jimmy's in way over his head. Really not a great idea to mess with Manny as well. Rothstein is arguably the best character as he does have the best dialogue. Can't wait for Saturday's episode.

Rothestein as some awesome lines.

Eli ... what a sad excuse for a man. Forgiveness? ... Seriously?

(in reply to theieuan)
Post #: 95
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 12/12/2011 3:29:13 PM   
borstal

Yup, I said it. Don't fuck with Manny Horvitz. Is it the series finale on Saturday?

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

Post #: 96
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 13/12/2011 12:25:22 PM   
theieuan

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

Yup, I said it. Don't fuck with Manny Horvitz. Is it the series finale on Saturday?

No it's the penultimate episode on Saturday with the finale due to be on Xmas Eve I think.

You know, this place makes me wonder...Which would be worse, to live as a monster or die as a good man?

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 97
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 13/12/2011 3:36:37 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

quote:

quote:

He had one scene this week and totally owned the screen, that smirk was scary, really quite scary.

Jimmy is well out of his depth, looking forward to the next two episodes....

Post #: 98
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 14/12/2011 12:50:41 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: borstal

Indeed. Though I thought he was possibly going to get set up and ambushed.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: the anomaly

quote:

quote:

He had one scene this week and totally owned the screen, that smirk was scary, really quite scary.

Jimmy is well out of his depth, looking forward to the next two episodes....

Haha he is brilliant. "There's nothing more appealing to a gambler ... than the long shot" or something to that effect.

Jimmy's struggling. He's never been able to commit to the hard decisions and then because of that makes the wrong ones. He could have had a strong ally in Manny but pissed that down the drain with his temper.

It was hilarious when the commodore spoke up during the meeting.  "Why don't .... you .... just ... lift up ...cough ... your skirt ... and show them your pussy" ...

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 99
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 24/12/2011 2:16:16 AM   
the anomaly

UK Speed ... all going to shit ...

Post #: 100
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 25/12/2011 4:26:29 PM   
borstal

A big bag of wow.

Can we talk about everything thats happened or do we have to invisitext it?

Post #: 101
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 25/12/2011 4:43:44 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Go for it, it's screened. If you're coming into this thread having not watched it yet then more fool you!

Jimmy!

Just to naive to survive. The finale was the best hour of TV I've seen in a very long time. Fantastically directed and wonderfully acted. That line by Nooky, jeez, that line.

Brave move by the writers but there's definetly enough characters there to step up and keep the show interesting. I like it when writers take risks....

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 102
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 25/12/2011 4:45:11 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

Go for it, it's screened. If you're coming into this thread having not watched it yet then more fool you!

Jimmy!

Just to naive to survive. The finale was the best hour of TV I've seen in a very long time. Fantastically directed and wonderfully acted. That line by Nooky, jeez, that line.

Brave move by the writers but there's definetly enough characters there to step up and keep the show interesting. I like it when writers take risks....

I saw it weeks ago, and agree. If Jimmy had somehow got out of this it would have rung false. Expect Capone to step up now.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 103
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 26/12/2011 2:15:54 PM   
borstal

quote:

Jimmy!

True, I had to go green on Facebook but his comment didn't take this ^ into account. Jimmy was a fascinating, tragic character but there are so many other stories to keep it going for at least another series (hopefully more!). Got to see more Harrow and Van Alden.

Post #: 104
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 26/12/2011 6:14:14 PM   
kata

Skimmed this thread to avoid spoilers. Up to episode 7.

She's a bit strange isn't she, Jimmy's mum.  Also, the shit is about to officially hit the fan...  Missed a trick not having Nucky look through the hole in his hand....

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 105
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 26/12/2011 7:56:22 PM   
big dawg

Honestly Kata i would stay away as it would be a real shame if the ending was ruined for you. I'm going to speak about it so look away now!

Wow...never saw it coming at all. I mean, I was surprised when his missus got killed but this trumps that in every way. It just elevated the series to a new level, and is up there with Losts' Flashforward episode and The Wire's season 4 finale as one of the best episodes of tv in recent times (im not at the end of Sopranos yet so I'll reserve judgement on those till I see them all).

I remember Pitt getting some stick about being the worst thing in season one but I've always been a fan. His eyes told you everything, menace, despair,love... and he just nailed Jimmy in every scene. And some of the scenes in the last episode were fantastic. Randolph preparing for court as Neary gets bumped off, Jimmy with his son down the beach, his "goodbye" to Richard and his final confrontaton with Nucky. It was just such a brave (and refreshing) move for writers of a series to get rid of a main character like that. I honestly dont know where season three will go....rise of Capone? One things for sure it will miss Jimmy Darmody, limping about and slitting throats.

I can believe things that are true and I can believe things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not

Gamertag - SqualorVic

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 106
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 26/12/2011 9:34:21 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

quote:

Wow...never saw it coming at all.

Really? I thought he'd pretty much signed his own death warrant when he allowed the hit on Nucky to go ahead. Between Nucky & Manny, Jimmy was a dead man walking. It was just a matter of time....and he knew it.

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 107
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 26/12/2011 9:41:47 PM   
Rinc

quote:

ORIGINAL: big dawg

I honestly dont know where season three will go....rise of Capone?

I hope they don't make as much a big deal of Capone as a lot of other fiction. The man was powerful and controlled most of Chicago, but he had plenty of problems in that city and never controlled it all. And even then he wasn't independent and was subservient to New York.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 108
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 26/12/2011 11:02:44 PM   
boaby

been waiting on Jimmy to die for donkeys. Like he said, he died over there. Could feel it building since his remembrance day speech. I pity his poor wee boy. The one thing I thought would keep Jimmy interested was saving his son from his mother, nae quite sure a talk and a donkey ride's gonna do it Jimmy min.

What surprised me most was Margaret's retreat into Catholicism. Seemed like she'd made her bed for good when she snaffled Nucky's books from under the noses of the Feds. I realise it's not exactly a moral awakening, more a buying of immediate indulgence. Seems a bitty mental for a woman already gone through so much. Thought she was smarter than that. She can't expect Nucky not to find out about the land and having done so not go absolutely spare. Maybe she's gone mental.

< Message edited by boaby -- 26/12/2011 11:03:52 PM >

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 109
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 28/12/2011 1:26:32 AM   
the anomaly

SERIES 2 FINALE SPOILERS!

Don't read it
quote:

ORIGINAL: big dawg
Jimmy with his son down the beach, his "goodbye" to Richard and his final confrontaton with Nucky. It was just such a brave (and refreshing) move for writers of a series to get rid of a main character like that. I honestly dont know where season three will go....rise of Capone? One things for sure it will miss Jimmy Darmody, limping about and slitting throats.

That was harrowing! I knew his number was up then. Though even before I couldn't imagine Nucky letting it all go. Things had gone way too far. True to his word Nucky sorted everything out. It remains to be seen what happens with the rest. Honestly I can't imagine seeing Eli again. I'd guess it would be quite easy for him to get killed in prison if Nucky wanted it done.

I can't remember but it was Eli that whispered into Jimmy's ear about back stabbing Nucky? I remember them all be disgruntled at the same time and everything building up. Or did Jimmy sort thing's with the commodore first? Either way I hate Eli. It's his brother and although the all felt manipulated ... Nucky ran a smooth ship and well he was the boss.

Jimmy was a great character and I feel for him. He clearly knew his time was up. Yet went along for everything. Once again I hate Eli ... standing there ... just a pathetic liar. At least Jimmy tried to own up to Nucky and repent as best he could. Eli just stands there ... ugh.

quote:

ORIGINAL: boaby
What surprised me most was Margaret's retreat into Catholicism. Seemed like she'd made her bed for good when she snaffled Nucky's books from under the noses of the Feds. I realise it's not exactly a moral awakening, more a buying of immediate indulgence. Seems a bitty mental for a woman already gone through so much. Thought she was smarter than that. She can't expect Nucky not to find out about the land and having done so not go absolutely spare. Maybe she's gone mental.

Indeed. Frustrating watching her planning to confess etc. After all Nucky has done for her. When I compare her to any other mob boss wife/girlfriend from any fiction/non fiction I've read/watched ... she's had it pretty sweet! Looking back at Nucky's track record ... from the show at least when thing's were running well I don't remember him constantly ordering killings casually? Sure he is a crook but it was white collar/corporate crime ... still crimes but you know what I mean. He was faithful to her once they'd settled and he has been quite honest and frank with her. Bloody hell she's the one who cheated on him. She just annoys me now. Even before he daughter got sick I remember she was exhausted ... and I thought "Sure tough being a stay at home mom with a fleet of nannies/servants". To be fair now Nucky is in far deeper than he was, he has blood on his hands and the marriage was clearly a calculated move on his behalf. To be honest I don't think he can help it. Even when he is honest and loving he can't stop working the angles and he seems to effortlessly sort things out. I think he does love her and the kids but as with everything else he has complete control. With all the above combined makes him all the more interesting as a character.

Top series that seals the deal as a much watch show.

< Message edited by the anomaly -- 28/12/2011 1:27:20 AM >

(in reply to big dawg)
Post #: 110
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 28/12/2011 1:38:13 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

I saw Nuckys development in that last episode slightly differently.

It's all an act for Nucky, playing with the kids, the marriage, the new leaf. Margaret challenged him mentally, but she is there for his gratification only, and she's lost her touch.
He is totally out for number one and as ruthless as any underworld figure glamorised previously.
The scene with Jimmy wasn't him getting his hands dirty, it was business as usual. Everything is about playing the angles, how to get the most out of the situation for Nucky.

I hope season 3 see's the end of Margaret for personal reasons, but I think she may yet play out to be his biggest antagonist.

< Message edited by Flatulent_Bob -- 28/12/2011 1:40:19 AM >

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

Post #: 111
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 30/12/2011 10:10:40 AM   
the anomaly

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flatulent_Bob

I saw Nuckys development in that last episode slightly differently.

It's all an act for Nucky, playing with the kids, the marriage, the new leaf. Margaret challenged him mentally, but she is there for his gratification only, and she's lost her touch.
He is totally out for number one and as ruthless as any underworld figure glamorised previously.
The scene with Jimmy wasn't him getting his hands dirty, it was business as usual. Everything is about playing the angles, how to get the most out of the situation for Nucky.

I hope season 3 see's the end of Margaret for personal reasons, but I think she may yet play out to be his biggest antagonist.

I agree the new leaf is a complete act clearly. On the one hand he acts as if he is bringing her closer for example with the marriage but he is actually closing more of himself off from her and leading more of a double life. Still I do think he cares for all of them but as I said it's all within the confines of his control. He has them in their own world and he comes in and out as he pleases.

Regarding Jimmy I could be wrong but I don't think he has actually had to kill anyone else before this. Jimmy makes a point of it way back when he Nucky first brings him back in to do some dirty work. He brings this up again before he is shot and it's what made Nucky killing him more dramatic. Because he could have had anyone else do it as always but he decided to pull the trigger himself. I think this has effected Nucky but I'm sure he will move on from it.

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 112
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 4/4/2012 12:40:28 PM   
theieuan

Teaser for season 3 here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_kREFGKjRI

Post #: 113
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 7/4/2012 2:32:50 AM   
Spaldron

Just finished off S2, boy what a fucking show and a half, so glad S3 is only a few months away. Let me tell you Game Of Thrones S2 has got a lot to live up to if its to top this. Bring it on I say.

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

(in reply to theieuan)
Post #: 114
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 7/4/2012 2:37:33 AM   
NinjaShortbread212

Superb finale of Boardwalk S2 tonight and I concur fully with what Spaldy says. Shocker in a half!

Art

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 115
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 9/9/2012 1:16:34 PM   
Whistler

Currently re-watching S2 before S3 starts (can't wait). What a bloody good show. Richard Harrow is such a superb character, every single scene he's in is completely captivating. Did I say I can't wait til S3?

(in reply to NinjaShortbread212)
Post #: 116
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 9/9/2012 1:28:51 PM   
vad3r

Just finished S2. Absolutely incredible. Better than S1, Better than all the films in 2012 combined.

< Message edited by vad3r -- 9/9/2012 1:31:24 PM >

Single Virgin Mod Candidate 2013

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
To paraphrase the great man himself:

Vad3r won't go anywhere near this.

(in reply to Whistler)
Post #: 117
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 4/10/2012 7:48:36 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Oh boy. I'm glad it's back! I nearly forgot how bloody great this show is. Good solid opener setting the scene for the forthcoming season.

Manny!!

Post #: 118
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 5/10/2012 9:31:00 AM   
Spider

This is such a good show, but most excitingly it seems to be getting better and better. The S3 opener was fantastic. Charlie Cox now in main cast. Poor Manny gone already!

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

Post #: 119
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 7/10/2012 10:41:34 AM   
Citizen Dildo

Well 2 episodes in and it's a decidedly underwhelming start for me. I'm absolutely fine with the slow pace of the show and it does typically build momentum as the season progresses. I just think its been incredibly dull so far and some of the stories don't make a great deal of sense from a continuity perspective.

How long exactly is it meant to be from Jimmys death? Manny's comeuppance was great but hugely predictable. Then this week we have Nucky and Mickey claiming to be in the dark about who was responsible. Surely it's not difficult for them to work out? If Nucky is such a ruthless gangster these days would he really have let Richard live or not at least considered him a threat?

Then there's the fact that Eli's kid looks about 5 years older whilst Jimmy and Margaret's kids look just the same - admittedly that's nit picking but usually this show cares about the small details.

Margaret's hospital story - what a huge waste of time. And they seem to struggle to get an interesting plot for Chalky too.

Early days but Jimmy is a huge miss, can't help think that Winter and the writers backed themselves into a corner needlessly.

Why would anyone ever wanna leave Baltimore?

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI