Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 14/3/2011 1:37:14 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

Just watched episodes 6 and 7 - not as strong as the previous ones but I'm desperate to see more! Really liked the sniper character, glad he's going to be returning. The worst thing about the show is Kelly McDonald's accent. I don't think she's too bad in the show, but her accent is quite grating (it might be accurate, I'm not sure, but it's so annoying!). I almost cover my ears whenever she mentions "the children"!

When is the DVD going to be released? Been waiting for ages for a date and still no news it seems.

No it's really no accurate

I know what you mean when she starts about the "chilled-er-in"

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 61
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 17/3/2011 4:51:11 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: vader100

I assure you all these things become clear. This is a series that is really setting the groundwork for a good 3-4 future series run. It has introduced loads of characters and story lines but it does become clear by the end of the series who or what people are. A little research on the period it is set in also helps, stuff like the Chicago "Black Sox" baseball fix etc.

I've kind of avoided looking things up, mainly because I don't want to know what happened to some of the real life figures that appear in the show. Obviously we know what happens to Al.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 62
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 28/3/2011 10:03:40 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

I really can't get enough of this. I look forward to it every week and it's clear to see why Steve Buschemi has won numerous awards for his portrayal of Nucky. Thought the ending was great this week, so telling.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 63
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 28/3/2011 10:19:19 AM   
borstal

Same here. There are so many reasons why its enjoyable. I love the cinematic language they use. They don't dwell too much on things but its easy enough to pick up on.

SPOILERS

Like the other week when they focused on Mrs Schroeder buying the expensive dress then for a second after the attempted shooting of Nucky she gets blood on it. The bit in the synagogue this week was good also if slighty less subtle. I explained it to Mrs B about the Bar Mittzvah (sp?) being symbolic of a transition from boyhood to man and that Al being there meant the same was going to happen to him.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 64
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 28/3/2011 11:55:38 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

My missus didn't understand this weeks ending when she opened the windows up again. I tell you, something's are just lost on some people...

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 65
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 30/3/2011 12:25:44 PM   
CORLEONE

Caught up with this now. It's fantastic. Jimmy's ace.

They've got so much material and characters to play with from that period too. This could run for years and I hope it does.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

Post #: 66
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 5/4/2011 12:27:41 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Poor guy, drowned by your partner. Okay he was crooked but he certainly didn't deserve to go like that

It's all kicking off at the moment, I don't think Eli is going to take kindly to being replaced....

Next weeks season finale should be a cracker!

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 67
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 6/4/2011 11:51:19 AM   
Sinatra

Harrow is becoming my favourite 'side character'... he soooo cold.

"I'll kill their mother, the girls and the dentist"

Post #: 68
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 6/4/2011 12:33:01 PM   
discodave101

Well I've gone from being quite dismissive of this show to begin with, to being completely hooked and convinced this could be my favourite show ever if it keeps on like this for 3-5 years. The script is magical at times, and I'm now completely sucked into all the characters.

So this weeks is the season finale? Wow. Its gone so quick.

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 69
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 6/4/2011 2:23:22 PM   
Sinatra

12 episodes is just right...

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 70
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 9/4/2011 10:29:14 PM   
ElephantBoy

I have found this show to be overrated. It is possible than if Scorsese's name wasn't on it, than it would not be getting so many rave reviews.

I have a few problems with it.

1. The cinematic style. Normally this would be a plus for a TV show, but I just find it destracting in this case, and find it to be showing off a bit.

2. It is a little too much style over substance, there is a lack of depth to the story and characters.

3. The female characters are very poorly drawn, either they are wholes, or wimpy housewifes or maids.

4. It is just too much like a typical gangster story, men being men etc. Give me another story already.

Anyway not all bad, and the cast are fantastic, just wanted to get across the other view point.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 71
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 10/4/2011 6:03:27 PM   
Spider

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

I have found this show to be overrated. It is possible than if Scorsese's name wasn't on it, than it would not be getting so many rave reviews.

I think the opposite. I think if it wasn't Scorsese attached and all the illustrious people involved and hype it would be getting a lot less lukewarm responses - people wanting to knock it down.

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 72
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 10/4/2011 11:18:39 PM   
boaby

quote:

3. The female characters are very poorly drawn, either they are wholes, or wimpy housewifes or maids.

I agree in general that it could've been better. But the women are portrayed in the roles they are as a reflection of society. There was a good deal of unconventionality on show.

Jimmy's mother, Kelly McDonald , and Jimmy's "wife" were struggling against what society expected of their "type" of women as much as against the individual men in their lives. The discomfort of McDonald and Jimmy's wife when they tentatively pushed themselves beyond their expected role was well done. I reckon tehy did nae bad with wimmin.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 73
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 11/4/2011 11:04:42 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Fantastic series and can't wait for the next. Perfect set up for next season. I love this show....

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 74
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 11/4/2011 11:14:54 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

quote:

I think the opposite. I think if it wasn't Scorsese attached and all the illustrious people involved and hype it would be getting a lot less lukewarm responses - people wanting to knock it down.

I can't stand Saving Private Ryan and my heart sank when that lot were doing Band of Brothers - but that didn't change the fact BoB was superb.

Scorsese is irrelevant - I think the show has a lot of problems. They haven't really gotten a hold of a story they want to tell so instead you get a lot of bitty often loosely linked scenarios in a world that isn't properly put in context. You get a lot of very well-written scenes, mainly two handers, and often well-played and people can easily refer to them and rightly say look how wonderful that was - but it's like, IMO, a load of vignettes surrounded by a lot of slight pointlessness. Pitt is too weak to hold up his side of the show and the part is one of the most poorly written (it'd be the worse if it wasn't for the appalling de la Vega women who couldn't act with a gun to her head).

I think the best example is with Michael Shannon's character. You get some great acting and some nice writing - but it's like they forget that entire side of it for whole swathes of the show then remember, panic, and throw him in a few cliched character traits/scenarios to try and develop a story for him that feels like a different show.

I think they had an idea but they didn't sit down and develop it properly into an actual story that could hang together as a single show. They had, I think, put more thought into some of the characters, but just kind of randomly throw them into the story so they get the odd really great scene. But that doesn't a great show make.

Overall, a bit of a mess.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 75
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 12/4/2011 6:09:55 PM   
ElephantBoy

I would agree, and good point on Pitt, normally I am fan of his, but he is one of the weakest performances here.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 76
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 23/5/2011 6:30:46 PM   
Stalla

Why oh whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy is there no release date yet for the DVD?!?!

I am Jack's raging bile duct.

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 77
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 24/5/2011 3:38:44 PM   
Spider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stalla

Why oh whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy is there no release date yet for the DVD?!?!

Are they waiting to release it later in the year (or early next year) around the time Season 2 starts?

Annoying though, I'd like to buy it and rewatch it as I think more will fit into place now I've seen the end of the season.

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to Stalla)
Post #: 78
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 24/5/2011 3:52:04 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I'm guessing it will be available for the festive period along with Game Of Thrones, HBO could make a killing this Christmas!

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 79
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 2/8/2011 8:59:49 AM   
MartinBlank76

Finally caught up with finishing this, it had been sitting on my planner for ages. There lots of coming soon Game of Thrones ads during it and it had come and gone long before I went back to finish this. Mostly down to the first half of the season which was always decent and quite watchable but kind of dull at times, and nothing too out of the ordinary. There was nothing there that was really compelling.

Thankfully it really improved from episode 7 on and I actually found myself flying through the final episodes and really enjoyed it. Reminds me a little of The Pacific, a lacklustre first half redeemed by a much more enjoyable second half. Now I find myself looking forward to the second season.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

Post #: 80
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 11/8/2011 4:15:05 PM   
From_Hell

I'm a little late to the party on this, but I've watched most of the first series over the past week. I have enjoyed it enough to keep watching it, but I can't say that there is a burning urge to immediately see what happens in the next episode when the credits are rolling on the one I've just watched.

One thing I think I must have missed was Jimmy getting out of jail - Episode 9 shows him getting arrested, Nucky visiting him and telling him he's not wasting money on lawyers etc etc, then in Episode 10, Jimmy is out of jail. I must have missed him get let off/escape/whatever, right?

"What are you gonna do?"

"What I do best. I'm gonna kill 'em. Anyone that was involved. Anybody who profited from it. Anybody who opens their eyes at me."

(in reply to MartinBlank76)
Post #: 81
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 11/8/2011 5:37:04 PM   
Fit Kisto

I hope that Sky Atlantic are going togive BE Season 2  the same rapid UK airing treatment that Game of Thrones got.

Guess we'll find out in September.

There is no Swamp Ape. It was invented for people who can't find the actual world fascinating. Y'know?

(in reply to From_Hell)
Post #: 82
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 8/10/2011 6:23:05 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Returns tonight. Must say I'm looking forward to it. Mainly because Season One rocked and the trailer for Season 2 looks epic....

(in reply to Fit Kisto)
Post #: 83
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 9/10/2011 12:48:51 AM   
discodave101

Wow, great opener! Wish I'd watched the last ep beforehand tho.

Post #: 84
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 9/10/2011 5:16:46 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Talk about an opening five minutes setting up a whole season....fantastic stuff!

Post #: 85
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 22/10/2011 2:23:22 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Jimmy really is a bad ass, if only he was as bad ass as Chalky White.....

Post #: 86
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 31/10/2011 11:56:21 AM   
Your Funny Uncle

Am I the only one watching this at UK speed?

Another fantastic episode again this week. All kinds of different plot threads showing up now and it's just perfect TV with some outstanding acting.

Post #: 87
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 31/10/2011 12:49:38 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Nope, I'm watching it aswell. (I think the forum has been going dead for the past few weeks now). Agreed. Great episode. So far it's been a bit slow for my liking though and Kelly McDonald's character is so horrid. I hope she gets killed off ASAP.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

Post #: 88
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 31/10/2011 3:33:15 PM   
discodave101

I'm still watching too, and loving it. Michael Shannon really is all sorts of awesome.

Kelly McDonalds character really is a complex one. One minute you think she's great (with her cunning retrieval of the money for Nucky) then next you think she's a complete witch (treatment of the household staff).

When the Commodore started having his stroke, I actually chanted 'DIE!'. The ending was sadistically gratifying.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 89
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 31/10/2011 6:01:41 PM   
boaby

Anyone read The Kindly Ones by Jonathan Littell? Psycho with an unhealthy obsession with his twin sister. Full on nutjob. I reckon thon two-face manny's gonna go mental. Jimmy'd better watch himsel'. Given the feel state of his kin I'm amazed Jimmy's nae completely loopy.

Chalky's gonna go mental too. No-one else expecting the next episode to feature a Klannish good ol' boy getting impaled on a whittled branch?

How can anyone not like Kelly McDonald?

I hope thon chirpy wastrel fae the old country blows himself up. Nae a fan o' thon boy at a'.

The more we see of Rothstein the better. And Shooter McGavin.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI