Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 4/2/2011 9:19:12 AM   
Sinatra

The 2nd episode didn't shed any light?

Getting a bit agitated with this already to be honest... did we really need to see Capone in this episode?
It felt like the scene when he beats the shit out of the reporter was just dropped in... to make sure he gets some screen time.

They just seem to be trying too hard with too many plots lines at the moment.

If it wasn't for the sublime Buscemi, I may have stopped watching by now.

I must stop building HBO dramas up so much in my mind, I;m still getting over the awful disappointment of The Pacific.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 31
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 4/2/2011 9:36:12 AM   
Magenta

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blunderbuss

It looked great, the cast were uniformly excellent and the writing writing was above average, but I didn't find it really compelling. 

Oh and I can now add 'Steve Buscemi doing a sex scene' into my list of images I'd prefer to never have seen...

I agree completly with all of your post Blunderbuss. I too felt yes it was ok but it's really not great,I didn't feel edge of my seat cant wait for the next episode.
As for that scene with Buscemi I would have prefered to have been outside the door with Eddie *shudder* just not right ..

I'm looking forward to see more of Stephen Graham if I'm honest it was him and Buscemi that drew me to watching but there is about 12 episodes I think,not sure I''ll stay the pace though.

“If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you, but the question is, if I die, what are you going to do? Bon appétit... Eat or die. "

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 32
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 4/2/2011 6:05:26 PM   
boaby

bloody adverts. Ruins the flow. Breaks where there isn't even a natural place for them. boaby disapproves.

Liked the structure of the 1st episode.

Beginning to dislike the WWI guy. Beginning to dislike Enoch's rolly-eyes know-it-all goddamit-I'm-surrounded-by-muppets disposition.

Liking the Vetriano-esque vistas. Liking Kelly McDonald, but then she's pretty likeable generally

Mildly amused by Capone's apparent Chicago/Lancashire accent. Not amused by the seemingly endless attempts to draw eyes to "period" aspect of the show. "Look at us, haven't we just thought of everything." Also "Klan canvassing, black and white minstrels - edgy, huh."

enough to keep me watching. Bloody adverts.

"Aberdonians, and with some degree of purpose and right on their side, have absolute contempt for Glasgow. There is a side of Aberdonians who, let's be absolutely honest about this, feel so superior to Glasgow that you can measure it by the yard."

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 33
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 5/2/2011 5:04:55 PM   
jaythomo

Agree about the scene with Jimmy and his mum.  At first i thought it was going to be his bit on the side, was freaked out when i realised the semi naked woman wrapped round him and showering him with kisses was his old mother! while i have enjoyed the first two episodes, i have been feeling slightly underwhelmed.  Just not feeling a connection to any of the characters, and not finding the stories that engaging. but it's only early days and im sure it will get better.  i just dont have that feeling that im watching the begenning of something great, like the first time i watched the first few episodes of The Sopranos and Deadwood.  But then again, it took me a half a season to really get into The Wire so maybe i should just wait untill the end of the series before i make any real judgement.

Twitter @JamesThomasGMM

(in reply to boaby)
Post #: 34
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 5/2/2011 9:44:56 PM   
doubtlesswonder

Does anyone know if this is repeated? Only my Sky+ box had a bit of a paddy today and wouldn't record anything. I turned it off at the mains and back on and now it's recording fine, but I missed half of episode 3.

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to jaythomo)
Post #: 35
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 5/2/2011 9:55:11 PM   
Shifty Bench

It's repeated 3.35am Sunday night/Monday morning

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to doubtlesswonder)
Post #: 36
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 5/2/2011 10:19:59 PM   
doubtlesswonder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

It's repeated 3.35am Sunday night/Monday morning

Ahhh thankyou very much

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"Will someone please get this motherfuckin' horcrux outta this motherfuckin' snake."

quote:

homersimpson_esq
"See Mr Grey.
See Mr Grey abuse women.
Run women, run."

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 37
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 5/2/2011 10:59:13 PM   
thepluginbaby

Seen the first two episodes on Sky Player.  Looks like I've got a new favourite TV show...

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 38
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 7/2/2011 7:57:32 AM   
borstal

Theres something awfuly screwy going on with some forum posters. Its a brilliant show. The Mrs and I are hooked and thats rare for her! Some wonderful acting, engaging script and Steve Buscemi.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 39
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 7/2/2011 12:24:38 PM   
CORLEONE

Aye, it's great. Don't get some of the criticism. Too many plotlines? It's organised crime, not robbing a Snickers from Spar. I've read The Mafia: The 1st 100 Years so it's great to see people like Luciano, Rothstein and Frankie Yale being portrayed here.

And obviously Capone. He doesn't look like he'd go on to become one of the richest men in America, so really looking forward to seeing how they develop his story.

It's a lot funnier than I expected too. Buscemi's got some great one-liners. And the end of episode 2 with the fat guy in the car? Haha.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 40
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 8/2/2011 8:06:06 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Well after catching up on the first three episodes I can safely say I think this is sublime. I'm engrossed and can't wait for the next installment. Absolutely fantastic television....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 41
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 8/2/2011 8:29:10 PM   
discodave101

I liked, but didn't love, episodes 1 & 2. Episode 3, I found myself drifting off and really didn't enjoy it. For me, this show really lacks a pulse. Looks great, superb script, now just badly needs some decent characters to attach to/root for. I can see why the viewing numbers fell so dramatically in the states now.

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 42
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 15/2/2011 1:25:10 AM   
Spider

Two episodes in, and have to say I'm in the "loving it" camp - I actually can't really understand where most people's criticisms have stemmed from. It looks and feels amazing, it has wit, characters - I can't wait to see more of Buscemi, Stuhlberg (sp?), Shannon, Graham just to start. Also feel that it's really nicely building up (I realise I'm two episodes behind most people). Loved the scene tonight where Pitt brings Nucky the $3000, and he turns around and loses it all in one go on the roulette table - the look he gives him is fantastic!

Anyway, that's probably one of the most ramble-like series of 'thoughts' I've ever done on this forum, so I better stop there!

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 43
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 22/2/2011 11:39:47 AM   
Qwerty Norris

I can't believe some people are already on the wane with this one - this is comfortably my favourite television drama out there since the Wire ended.

And (slight spoiler).....

Steve Buscemi delivers one of the finest moments of acting I've seen on television in AGES in the very last episode....you'll know it when you see it.

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 44
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 22/2/2011 11:48:10 AM   
discodave101

Yep - I'm getting into it now. Liking it a lot more. I think the ensemble cast in this show meant it needed a good 4-5 episodes to give each of them some depth. 

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 45
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 24/2/2011 4:45:32 PM   
MOTH

I enjoyed that latest episode, felt more substantial, moved things along well, and lovely use of 'Carrickfergus' towards the end- can't beat a good old maudlin Irish lament for the folks back home.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 46
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 24/2/2011 7:56:50 PM   
TDurden

I think this is one of the best things that's been on Sky for a while - well produced and acted - also agree with comment about the clothing - loving all the outfits from that time!

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 47
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 24/2/2011 9:49:37 PM   
Nezzley

The last episode was very good but the scenes with the scarred hooker Jimmy was looking after dragged on a little too long, i think the problem was we hadn't had enough time to connect with the character and thus didn't warrant the screentime given to her despite her sad plight. There was lot of focus on the women in this episode and Kelly Macdonalds starting to grow on me after being a little too mousy in the first few episodes.

With all the talent involved and the fact it's from HBO it's not surprising the acting, writing and production values are of a high quality (Buscemi is as watchable as ever), as a drama i don't find it as compelling as something like Mad Men or The Sopranos yet but there's plenty of time for it to improve.

"Baby i'm in the jungle of mystery and i've just been tortured by a spinal surgeon and a genuine iraqi, yeh i'm serious!

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 48
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 26/2/2011 1:51:40 AM   
Dragar 11(New Birth)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

Two episodes in, and have to say I'm in the "loving it" camp - I actually can't really understand where most people's criticisms have stemmed from. It looks and feels amazing, it has wit, characters - I can't wait to see more of Buscemi, Stuhlberg (sp?), Shannon, Graham just to start. Also feel that it's really nicely building up (I realise I'm two episodes behind most people). Loved the scene tonight where Pitt brings Nucky the $3000, and he turns around and loses it all in one go on the roulette table - the look he gives him is fantastic!

Anyway, that's probably one of the most ramble-like series of 'thoughts' I've ever done on this forum, so I better stop there!

People have no patience. The least people could do is watch the full season (as I have) before forming a judgement about the whole show.

I thought the 1st few episodes 'Mad Men' were boring but I decided to stick with it & watch the whole of the first season.

I still thought it was boring and over-rated though which was a shame as I wanted it to be good.

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but I just wish people would watchthe whole series before jumping to conclusions. If you still think it's poor then fine.

(in reply to Spider)
Post #: 49
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 28/2/2011 7:24:13 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Finally caught up with this as I've always seemed to be a week behind for some reason. Thought the latest episode was fantastic, as the whole season has been so far. I thought the Jimmy/Al scenes in Chicago were beautifully done.

So, the agent and Mrs Schroeder, what's the deal there then?

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to Dragar 11(New Birth))
Post #: 50
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 28/2/2011 10:50:55 PM   
Sway

Is there a U.S thread for this anywhere? I couldn't see one, so I'll post my thoughts in here - although avoiding any spoilers/specifics.

I only started watching this on recommendation by a friend - I hadn't really got caught up in the hype, but my friend has spot on taste and had directed me onto shows like Breaking Bad before, so figured he'd be spot on again.

I loved the first episode.  It set the tone nicely - it created a sumptuous world inhabited by wheelers and dealers, and set up some nice characterisation... enough to whet your appetite and leave you looking forward to what was to follow.   Except for me, the rest of the show fell completely flat.   I've had a disagreement with Rgirvan about this already, so I'd imagine he'll be quick to jump in here, but it just went nowhere.   It's not a spoiler to say that this season is obviously about the footwork, setting up for preceding seasons but really after I'd finished it (and it took me a number of months to get through 12 episodes, I just simply didn't care for it, but was determined to finish what I'd started), I was just relieved.   I certainly won't be watching anymore of it.

I just found a lot of the dialogue very contrived and some of the character arcs were a bit all over the place.  Various superfluous strands were introduced that not only bored me but irritated me by the pointlessness of them. 

But that's just my own opinion.  It's ashame because I genuinely felt it had potential when I watched the first episode, but it failed to strike a chord with me.  I do wish it well, but I won't be continuing to watch it.

"I am not in danger, Skyler. I AM the danger! A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No. I am the one who knocks!"

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 51
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 1/3/2011 11:18:45 PM   
roobikscube

I really feel like this is one of the best things on TV. We're halfway through the series now and I'm really excited for more.

Seriously, what's going with the agents whipping himself? Is it because he got turned on by a young picture of her or is there something deeper than that? I'm not sure if i'm supposed to suspect something's happened with those two in the past or if the agent is just some fucking weirdo.

(in reply to Sway)
Post #: 52
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 2/3/2011 8:15:46 AM   
vader100

I assure you all these things become clear. This is a series that is really setting the groundwork for a good 3-4 future series run. It has introduced loads of characters and story lines but it does become clear by the end of the series who or what people are. A little research on the period it is set in also helps, stuff like the Chicago "Black Sox" baseball fix etc.

You can't take the sky from me

(in reply to roobikscube)
Post #: 53
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 2/3/2011 12:31:01 PM   
CORLEONE

Loved Jimmy's line before he blew Sheridan's head off.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to vader100)
Post #: 54
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 2/3/2011 1:08:28 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

I thouroughly enjoyed the episode. The Agent whipping himself was for me a reference to the puritanical nature of a lot the FBI agents involved in prohibition, the whole self flaggelation to rid oneself of sexual desires. It';s neatly played out and they are slowly revealing him to be more disturbed than the guys he is investigating-his mask will slip I reckon.

Jimmy & Al were the standouts and Steven Graham derves massive plaudits for his portrayal of Capone, he is brimming with anger and always seems to be on a knife edge.

I am really loving it so far, highlight in the last episode was definately the "Moutains of Mourne/Cunny" speach by Mrs Schroder--pure venom but also hilarious...

The only slight critisicsm I would have is that they seem to be trying to mirror the Sopranos in some of the characters

Eli = Christopher
Mrs Schroder = Carmela
Nucky=Tony

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 55
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 6/3/2011 8:07:29 PM   
Citizen Dildo

I found the latest episode a bit disjointed and heavy handed in places. All the stuff about Nucky's abuse was a bit on the nose for me. The lesbian scene seemed a bit gratuitous also, but hey this is HBO!

The sniper character was certainly interesting and I understand he'll be a recurring star so take it there must be a place in Jimmy's "gang" for him somewhere.

Overall I think Nucky's ignorance of the growing threat to him is the most intriguing part and looking forward to seeing where this leads as we build toward the end of the season. Talking of which, how many episodes are there - 12/13?

Always a pleasure to see Michael Badalucco aswell.

Why would anyone ever wanna leave Baltimore?

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 56
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 7/3/2011 10:26:01 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dragar 11(New Birth)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spider

People have no patience. The least people could do is watch the full season (as I have) before forming a judgement about the whole show.

I thought the 1st few episodes 'Mad Men' were boring but I decided to stick with it & watch the whole of the first season.

I still thought it was boring and over-rated though which was a shame as I wanted it to be good.

Sorry to go slightly off topic, but I just wish people would watchthe whole series before jumping to conclusions. If you still think it's poor then fine.

Completely agreed. If I was that flippant on telly shows I would have given up on the Wire very quickly. It took me a season and a half to really get into it and now it's my all time favourite....

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to Dragar 11(New Birth))
Post #: 57
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 8/3/2011 9:21:38 AM   
Flatulent_Bob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled
Eli = Christopher
Mrs Schroder = Carmela
Nucky=Tony

Not seeing that at all.
Eli is nowhere near as impulsive as Christopher and IMHO Nucky and Tony are worlds apart.

Nucky is also far more likeable and considerate character than Tony ever was. Tony was out for himself each and every time Nucky has many faults one being generosity.

I'm your huckleberry...

All the world will be your enemy, Prince of a Thousand enemies. And when they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Oh my God! They banned Kenny!

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 58
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 12/3/2011 11:09:53 PM   
borstal

I love Boardwalk Empire.

"Can you imagine the satisfaction of slamming that camping cunt Scott with a missile while sitting in Costa?" - Chief

http://www.redbubble.com/people/borstal
http://letterboxd.com/borstal/

(in reply to Flatulent_Bob)
Post #: 59
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 13/3/2011 12:27:08 PM   
Spider

Just watched episodes 6 and 7 - not as strong as the previous ones but I'm desperate to see more! Really liked the sniper character, glad he's going to be returning. The worst thing about the show is Kelly McDonald's accent. I don't think she's too bad in the show, but her accent is quite grating (it might be accurate, I'm not sure, but it's so annoying!). I almost cover my ears whenever she mentions "the children"!

When is the DVD going to be released? Been waiting for ages for a date and still no news it seems.

Rudi Manchego's Simple Rustic Wisdom:
If you look at a pebble, you will see your own face

Howard Moon: Fusion Minstrel Vince Noir: Gothic Fairy. The Boosh is Loose and it's coming at you like a shark with knees!

(in reply to borstal)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI