Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 18/1/2011 10:38:06 PM   
Darth Marenghi

Seeing as the UK launch of the Scorsese-backed series will upon us very soon, I thought I'd start the thread for it. I saw the first two episodes tonight at a preview and it's really well put together. Scorsese's direction on the first episode is superb as one might expect, and it's nice to be reminded of how good an actor Steve Buscemi really is. Looking forward to the rest of it. 

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

Post #: 1
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 18/1/2011 10:38:56 PM   
Epiphany Demon

Can't wait. Scorsese + Buscemi + Omar = SEX

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to Darth Marenghi)
Post #: 2
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 18/1/2011 10:45:08 PM   
pedros

Is this only going to be on that stupid Sky Atlantic that I haven't got?

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 3
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 18/1/2011 11:00:07 PM   
Darth Marenghi

If you've got Sky, you'll get Sky Atlantic.

Invisible Text for SPOILERS: "color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color" , then change the quotation marks to square brackets.

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 4
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 19/1/2011 8:11:49 AM   
pedros

I don't have Sky, only Virgin

But isn't it a Sky channel you have to pay for, like Sky Movies or Sports? If not then I can get my mum to Sky + it and then watch it all when I go home one weekend.

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play Macbeth.

Hey, wha' happened???

Post #: 5
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 19/1/2011 9:01:07 AM   
jediwarrior

quote:

ORIGINAL: pedros

But isn't it a Sky channel you have to pay for, like Sky Movies or Sports? If not then I can get my mum to Sky + it and then watch it all when I go home one weekend.

No it's a free channel for the moment

GAMERTAG: hothtrooper

The hate of men will pass, and dictators die, and the power they took from the people will return to the people. And so long as men die, liberty will never perish.

(in reply to pedros)
Post #: 6
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 19/1/2011 11:11:06 AM   
samhuds24

I've already seen this and thought it was excellent so will be watching it again on Sky Atlantic. Don't worry I won't reveal any spoilers

(in reply to jediwarrior)
Post #: 7
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 19/1/2011 1:15:01 PM   
Chief Wiggum

quote:

ORIGINAL: samhuds24

I've already seen this and thought it was excellent so will be watching it again on Sky Atlantic. Don't worry I won't reveal any spoilers

same here, except I don't have sky, and I will reveal one important spoiler - IT'S FUCKING BRILLIANT!

The Empire Forum Photo Competition - join now for fun and profit. okay no profit, or fun. but do it anyway!

(in reply to samhuds24)
Post #: 8
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 20/1/2011 9:49:01 PM   
ElephantBoy

I know the channel opens on 1st Feb, but when does BE actually start on there.

This is all very exciting

(in reply to Chief Wiggum)
Post #: 9
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 20/1/2011 11:16:59 PM   
Darth Marenghi

quote:

ORIGINAL: ElephantBoy

I know the channel opens on 1st Feb, but when does BE actually start on there.

This is all very exciting

It's the centrepiece of the launch night - starts 9pm.

(in reply to ElephantBoy)
Post #: 10
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 23/1/2011 4:07:35 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

I'm looking forward to watching this, managed to fend off my urges to acquire it from elsewhere....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

Post #: 11
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 2/2/2011 9:29:37 AM   
MOTH

well i quite enjoyed that, except for the 800 ad breaks.
Twas maybe a bit reliant on the old montage device, but i'll be tuning in again for ep 2.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 12
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 2/2/2011 9:41:55 AM   
CORLEONE

Thought it was great. Basically The Sopranos in the 20s. Interesting to see what happens with Michael Pitt's character. Nice introduction to a young Capone too. Watched it on Sky Player so only got 3 Blackberry ads. This should be good.

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 13
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 2/2/2011 10:28:04 AM   
Chief

Thought it was good. I did get a bit confused at points as to who was who, some of them look similar to each other.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with Kelly McDonald's character, I felt so sorry for her wee girl when she was screaming. Glad her husband got sorted out.

HAIRY MUFFS FTW!!!

Post #: 14
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 2/2/2011 11:23:36 AM   
Blunderbuss

I will confess that BWE left me a little cold.  It looked great, the cast were uniformly excellent and the writing writing was above average, but I didn't find it really compelling.  It did enough to make me watch tonight's second episode and it may well grow on me as characters become more clearly defined and better developed, but it wasn't a total success.

I was also slightly underwhelmed by Scorsese's direction.  Yes, there were some great tracking shots and stylistic tricks, but I don't think Scorsese brought a huge amount more to the show than any other solid director would.

The advert breaks didn't help much of course.  It was obvious that this was a show that had been edited to be shown without commercials, and the numerous breaks just served to screw up the pacing and over extend the running time.

Oh and I can now add 'Steve Buscemi doing a sex scene' into my list of images I'd prefer to never have seen...

"oh you don't want to shoot him. You'll just make him mad"

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 15
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 2/2/2011 12:36:02 PM   
Giant Green Rabbit

They have ad breaks on Sky Atlantic? That's a bit shit isn't it.

I think you'd do well do download the season and watch it properly. I don't think I could watch any good TV drama with a bunch of adverts in between.

Once there was a little bunny who had a little furry tail and a little shiny nose. But the electrodeath cloud of commerce strangled it and its foxhole was converted to a parking lot, a parking lot, a parking lot. Ample parking asphalted over bunny bones. Everyone everyone get in.

(in reply to Blunderbuss)
Post #: 16
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 2/2/2011 1:23:27 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Giant Green Rabbit

I think you'd do well do download the season and watch it properly. I don't think I could watch any good TV drama with a bunch of adverts in between.

Or Sky+ it and watch it half an hour later, skipping the ads and still finishing at the same time.

(in reply to Giant Green Rabbit)
Post #: 17
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 2/2/2011 2:06:56 PM   
MOTH

on the plus side, the ads allowed me to flick over to see how the footy was going.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 18
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 2/2/2011 2:12:18 PM   
Cruisecontroller

Loved it. Oozes style, quality writing and acting and now the scene has been set I expect it to really take off now in the second episode tonight. I personally don`t think it`s an overstatement (although I know some will disagree) to say it could beat The Godfather 1 & 2 in gangster stories.. Steve Buscemi is terrific and not a black and white bad guy showing a gultiy conscience and soft spot for Kelly McDonalds battered pregenant wife of an alcholic. Looking forward to some of the other new shows on there and seeing Battlestar Glactica and The Soprano`s from the start.

< Message edited by Cruisecontroller -- 2/2/2011 2:13:27 PM >

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 19
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 2/2/2011 3:39:20 PM   
Giant Green Rabbit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: Giant Green Rabbit

Or Sky+ it and watch it half an hour later, skipping the ads and still finishing at the same time.

I think I've been spoiled by having seen every season of every TV show I enjoy on DVD (with the exception of some seasons of Mad Men on the Beeb and the odd one or two in a slightly less than wholly legal manner).

Once there was a little bunny who had a little furry tail and a little shiny nose. But the electrodeath cloud of commerce strangled it and its foxhole was converted to a parking lot, a parking lot, a parking lot. Ample parking asphalted over bunny bones. Everyone everyone get in.

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 20
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 2/2/2011 5:12:16 PM   
Sinatra

I think I like it, but I had gone over the top on the G & T's to be honest... I do know the ad-breaks wound me up
so I'll be SKY+ing tonights and skipping through.

SPOILER

Question: I understood everything apart from who the big guy in the furry coat was? the one that got his face blown off in the chicago bar? and also, why was he shot?

Las Vegas is the only place I know where money really talks--it says, "Goodbye."

(in reply to Giant Green Rabbit)
Post #: 21
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 2/2/2011 5:30:48 PM   
dahughesy

I thought the pilot was great, very entertaining, setting up plenty of new characters, and I do hope that it goes onto improve throughout the series, developing characters and exploring new plots. Really looking forward to the follow up tonight. Oh, and I Sky+'d it and watched it later on. Brilliant.

"Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 22
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 2/2/2011 6:45:07 PM   
CORLEONE

It's on tonight? Is it not a once a week jobby?

Al Swearengen: "Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back".

(in reply to dahughesy)
Post #: 23
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 2/2/2011 6:49:39 PM   
MI Cruise

They'll also be showing it on Saturday at 9pm. After that I think they'll be showing new episodes on Saturdays.

www.letterboxd.com/micruise1/films/

(in reply to CORLEONE)
Post #: 24
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 2/2/2011 6:57:26 PM   
CORLEONE

Hmmm. Strange scheduling. Hope I don't miss an episode out of sheer dumbness

(in reply to MI Cruise)
Post #: 25
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 3/2/2011 11:23:44 AM   
discodave101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

SPOILER

Question: I understood everything apart from who the big guy in the furry coat was? the one that got his face blown off in the chicago bar? and also, why was he shot?

I was thinking that too, but I'm guessing its just a separate sub plot mystery. Wasn't he with Lucky Luciano and the others when they want to Atlantic City to gamble?

"Softly softly, catchy monkey"

"I didn't know you spoke spanish"

(in reply to Sinatra)
Post #: 26
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 3/2/2011 12:29:38 PM   
Keyser Sozzled

I took it that Al Capone was bnehind it, as he had the booze that he and Jimmy ripped off....

Loving it so far, but did anyone think the scene with Jimmy's mother was incredibly creepy in ep2?...

I have no idea who any of them are, apart from Terry Pratchett who I know has got a beard and keeps going on about killing himself but never does.

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 27
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 3/2/2011 1:00:40 PM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keyser Sozzled

I took it that Al Capone was bnehind it, as he had the booze that he and Jimmy ripped off....

Loving it so far, but did anyone think the scene with Jimmy's mother was incredibly creepy in ep2?...

Mother?! I thought that was some bit on the side he had! *checks facts* Good God, you're right - no wonder Jimmy seems a bit messed up

(in reply to Keyser Sozzled)
Post #: 28
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 3/2/2011 1:17:46 PM   
Beno

Are'nt the suits the blokes wear in this just amazing.

I think i was born in the wrong time cos i'd love to wear that stuff daily.

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 29
RE: Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed - 3/2/2011 2:33:23 PM   
Chief

quote:

ORIGINAL: discodave101

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sinatra

SPOILER

I was thinking that too, but I'm guessing its just a separate sub plot mystery. Wasn't he with Lucky Luciano and the others when they want to Atlantic City to gamble?

I thought that he was the the guy that had organised/was hosting a party but had no supply of booze for it, which they then bought from Nucky.

I went on to think that they shot him and planned to run his club and sell the booze for themselves, profiting twice from the same booze.

Might have got that totally wrong though.

(in reply to discodave101)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Boardwalk Empire - UK Speed Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI