Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: PROMETHEUS

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: PROMETHEUS Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PROMETHEUS - 24/7/2011 6:54:16 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Did that flop? I don't know if it did or not but I still think Prometheus is in danger of flopping. Everyone knew what Avatar was going in to it didn't they?

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 151
RE: PROMETHEUS - 24/7/2011 6:54:18 PM   
DONOVAN KURTWOOD

i think we can all agree this will be more Dark Knight than Avatar in terms of tone and of the crowd i expect it will interest

Pack your bags, we're going on a guilt trip!

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 152
RE: PROMETHEUS - 24/7/2011 6:58:36 PM   
Rgirvan44

No one knew anything about Avatar until four months before its release.

And Fox would be delighted if it made Dark Knight numbers.

Bottom line is, this is next years Inception - a big budget science ficiton film which stands alone.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to DONOVAN KURTWOOD)
Post #: 153
RE: PROMETHEUS - 24/7/2011 7:06:08 PM   
The REAL Bozz

I hope it is! 'Cause I want more films which hopefully explore this alien 'DNA' link

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 154
RE: PROMETHEUS - 24/7/2011 7:18:50 PM   
Filmfan 2

Only just found out about a possible PG-13 rating after reading it in this thread.

I will not avoid this film purely because of a certification; I reserve judgement (mostly) upon seeing the finished result. What concerns me about a rating like this is that it is the studio wanting it brought in so that it can be released with this certification. If this has stymied the content of the film, then that's the major problem that I have with it. I don't want this film to be a 15 or 18 purely because I want a gore-fest, but I do want a rating like that if it allows the story to explore themes, or have content that allows for such a rating.

Nothing new with what I'm about to type next, but this obsession that the Hollywood studios have with getting as low a rating as possible is most certainly hampering the vision of many a moviemaker. I know it's a business, but it's such a shame that economics triumph over content.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 155
RE: PROMETHEUS - 24/7/2011 7:21:14 PM   
Rgirvan44

Scott has said he has shot for both R and PG-13. As I said previous, it could be that the sheer tone of the piece, and not the amount of blood and swearing in the film, could make it an automatic R. If this has a werid and distrubting sexuality of Alien, then it is game over for the studio wanting PG-13

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 156
RE: PROMETHEUS - 24/7/2011 8:58:51 PM   
darth silas

Of course this is a movie being made with a large(ie-family friendly)audience in mind.Its a big budget sci-fi film which is being shot in 3d(which sounds like Scott was pushed into doing).He obviously doesnt have the clout that Christpher Nolan has(Im sure WB would love for TDKR to be released in 3D but Nolan says no so it aint happening).

Now i dont know bout you guys but a movie set in the Alien universe being PG just sounds wrong to me.Only hope is an unrated dvd cut down the road which smacks of compromise.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 157
RE: PROMETHEUS - 24/7/2011 9:33:13 PM   
Deviation

PG-13 can be quite bloody though, it's hardly just for the families. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to darth silas)
Post #: 158
RE: PROMETHEUS - 24/7/2011 9:44:19 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

Of course this is a movie being made with a large(ie-family friendly)audience in mind.Its a big budget sci-fi film which is being shot in 3d(which sounds like Scott was pushed into doing).He obviously doesnt have the clout that Christpher Nolan has(Im sure WB would love for TDKR to be released in 3D but Nolan says no so it aint happening).

Now i dont know bout you guys but a movie set in the Alien universe being PG just sounds wrong to me.Only hope is an unrated dvd cut down the road which smacks of compromise.

Over-reacting much? I doubt it will be a "family friendly" flick.

Look at The Dark Knight. Pretty dark and nasty at times, and rated PG-13.

< Message edited by MonsterCat -- 24/7/2011 9:45:52 PM >

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 159
RE: PROMETHEUS - 24/7/2011 10:17:15 PM   
Ghidorah

I got the urge of missing Prometheus at the cinema and wait for the Blu Ray director cut. Then again I have the chance to watch a Ridley Scott's Alien prequel in the cinema.
We don't know the time frame the director cut could be released. Some director cuts are released very fast while other films including Alien and Blade Runner took decades. I am not saying Prometheus DC take as long especially home cinema wake in more cash however on the other hand we still got the butchered AVP movie. I am not saying the intended cut would be amazing but at least the character developement was better and we see the Alpha/Grid alien killed.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 160
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 1:49:47 AM   
BatFan

Scott does have some history of caving into the studio execs. Whether it be Cutting Kingdom Of Heaven down from the almost 4 hour cut to the (hugely inferior) 2 hours 30 minutes cut. Or letting Fox release Alien: The Directors cut as 'The directors cut'. A few years later he admitted the version that was released in the 70's was his preferred version and Fox only wanted to put 'directors cut' on it so it would make money when they re-released it in cinemas, Scott said okay.
I expect the version of Prometheus we will be seeing next summer will be the PG-13 version.

"You are in hell, little man! And I am the devil!"
"You're not the devil. You're practice"

(in reply to Ghidorah)
Post #: 161
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 7:45:40 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

I wish people would stop referencing Dark Knight, that was a rare exception not the standard rule.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 162
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 9:45:09 AM   
Timon

I still don't get why people want or expect this to be an 'R'. Just because it's set in the Alien universe, doesn't mean it's an 'Alien' film. Let's have a look at the official synopsis shall we?

Earth. Year 2058.

Archaeological digs in Africa reveal alien artifacts that humans were genetically engineered by an advanced alien race (space jockeys). These “Alien Gods” also terraformed Earth in order to make it habitable for their human creations. Amongst finds are coordinates to the Alien God’s home-world, to Paradise. Months later the Weyland Corp launch the spaceship PROMETHEUS and [its] crew, into deep space to make first contact. Thanks to faster than light travel a few years later the PROMETHEUS enters the Zeta Riticuli star system. Humans are greeted by their makers, then transported further into space to a scary yet fascinating world. The Alien Gods are proud of their “children”, their first creation to reach such levels of intelligence.

As a reward they share bits of their astonishing bio-based technologies with the humans. But for one crew member of the Prometheus it’s not enough. In a treacherous act he steals the “bio-source code” to Terraforming, a technology at the origin of all Gods’ power, that could make humans equal to the gods. The Alien Gods may be scientists but are also ruthless conquerors, destroyers of worlds who will not accept humans as equals. They unleash on the escaping human crew their favorite bio-weapon, a creature used to “clean up” worlds before colonization. But something goes wrong in the process and humans manage to turn the bio-weapon against their makers. Giving birth to a smarter, nastier, bigger breed of gut eating creatures. Creatures that will be the demise of Paradise. What’s left of the Prometheus crew manages to escape the doomed planet.

On their trail a survivor Alien God in very familiar ship with one ultimate mission.

Bring the wrath of the Gods to Earth.

Dare I ask which part of that makes you expect Aliens-level of violence/horror/terror? The "favorite bio-weapon, a creature used to “clean up” worlds before colonization" bit?

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 163
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 9:47:14 AM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tech_Noir

quote:

I wish people would stop referencing Dark Knight, that was a rare exception not the standard rule.

Why not bring up the Dark Knight - to all intends and purposes an R-rated film, but due to lack of blood and swearing was a PG-13. I don't see many people calling it family friendly.

And Jaws! Remember Jaws people?

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 164
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 9:53:14 AM   
Tech_Noir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

quote:

quote:

Why not bring up the Dark Knight - to all intends and purposes an R-rated film, but due to lack of blood and swearing was a PG-13. I don't see many people calling it family friendly.

Yes but when you think of a PG-13 film you don't automatically expect Dark Knight level of quality. PG-13 usually means watered down,

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 165
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 9:56:12 AM   
Mojo

quote:

PG-13 usually means watered down,

Not really, just because a film is PG-13 it doesn't mean that it was always intended to be something more. I think everybody is overreacting about the whole thing in here, we've only seen two images from the film and some very brief information and everybody is kicking off because of the rating. Just wait a while before you start judging it based on that alone. I can't believe people are already saying that Scott has succumbed to studio pressure already, we barely know anything at all.

Let's shove a stick up that wolf's ass.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 166
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 10:09:38 AM   
Tech_Noir

Fox have been pushing for PG-13 since day 1 and now it seems Scott is shooting 2 versions, a PG-13 and an R. Chances are it'll be the PG-13 that gets the theatrical release and the R version will be a DVD/BluRay special edition/director's cut.

If Scott and co set out to make a PG-13 sci-fi movie from the start I would prefer that but the fact they're doing this means one version is a dud. Unless the impossible happens and both versions are masterpieces.

< Message edited by Tech_Noir -- 25/7/2011 10:10:51 AM >

(in reply to Mojo)
Post #: 167
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 10:46:19 AM   
Timon

I can't think of one film that has been 'improved' by a few extra shots of blood, gore and swearing (eg. Die Hard 4).

If it is a vastly different film a la Kingdom of Heaven where an hour + has been cut, then I'd be worried, but that had nothing to do with the rating.

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 168
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 11:18:56 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timon

I still don't get why people want or expect this to be an 'R'. Just because it's set in the Alien universe, doesn't mean it's an 'Alien' film. Let's have a look at the official synopsis shall we?

Earth. Year 2058.

Archaeological digs in Africa reveal alien artifacts that humans were genetically engineered by an advanced alien race (space jockeys). These “Alien Gods” also terraformed Earth in order to make it habitable for their human creations. Amongst finds are coordinates to the Alien God’s home-world, to Paradise. Months later the Weyland Corp launch the spaceship PROMETHEUS and [its] crew, into deep space to make first contact. Thanks to faster than light travel a few years later the PROMETHEUS enters the Zeta Riticuli star system. Humans are greeted by their makers, then transported further into space to a scary yet fascinating world. The Alien Gods are proud of their “children”, their first creation to reach such levels of intelligence.

As a reward they share bits of their astonishing bio-based technologies with the humans. But for one crew member of the Prometheus it’s not enough. In a treacherous act he steals the “bio-source code” to Terraforming, a technology at the origin of all Gods’ power, that could make humans equal to the gods. The Alien Gods may be scientists but are also ruthless conquerors, destroyers of worlds who will not accept humans as equals. They unleash on the escaping human crew their favorite bio-weapon, a creature used to “clean up” worlds before colonization. But something goes wrong in the process and humans manage to turn the bio-weapon against their makers. Giving birth to a smarter, nastier, bigger breed of gut eating creatures. Creatures that will be the demise of Paradise. What’s left of the Prometheus crew manages to escape the doomed planet.

On their trail a survivor Alien God in very familiar ship with one ultimate mission.

Bring the wrath of the Gods to Earth.

Dare I ask which part of that makes you expect Aliens-level of violence/horror/terror? The "favorite bio-weapon, a creature used to “clean up” worlds before colonization" bit?

Is this actually official though? Wasn’t this pulled and replaced with the vaguest synopsis in movie history within 24 hours? Regardless, I kind of hope this is the general crux of, it as it sounds pretty cool to me! But this does read like a dark, adult themed piece to me.

This, ”Giving birth to a smarter, nastier, bigger breed of gut eating creatures” instinctively conjures up images of chest busters, which would struggle in a PG cut. But this sentence also doesn’t quite fit with the rest of this synopsis. The language seems a little juvenile at the ‘gut eating’ bit to me. But the thought of Space Jockeys releasing such a creation on a fleeing group certainly has a lot of potential for terror I think.

I’ll be there and very exited in all likelihood but the thought of it as PG-13 does come as a surprise to me. Especially given Scott’s previous statement:

"The film will be really tough, really nasty," Scott said. "It's the dark side of the moon. We are talking about gods and engineers. Engineers of space. And were the aliens designed as a form of biological warfare? Or biology that would go in and clean up a planet?"

But regardless of rating and some of Scotts ropey output, just not getting lack of enthusiasm on this. Sounding bloody good to me so far!

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 169
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 4:23:45 PM   
darth silas

quote:

Fox have been pushing for PG-13 since day 1 and now it seems Scott is shooting 2 versions, a PG-13 and an R. Chances are it'll be the PG-13 that gets the theatrical release and the R version will be a DVD/BluRay special edition/director's cut.

If Scott and co set out to make a PG-13 sci-fi movie from the start I would prefer that but the fact they're doing this means one version is a dud. Unless the impossible happens and both versions are masterpieces.

This.

Its a pity that despite his long career that Ridley doesnt have the clout to make the film he wants to make.Hes just a yes man to the studios now.I get the impression that he would have rather not have to bother with the 3D aspect but he was forced to use it cos its all the rage.

Id have more faith in this project if Chris Nolan was directing,he has the clout to make whatever kind of film he wants and has the ability to say NO to the studios when it comes to their 3D.

Star Wars:Episodes 1,2,3,4,5,6.Taken together they are one giant movie and it is the greatest movie EVER.

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 170
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 4:25:11 PM   
Rgirvan44

Well I am sure you will be happy to have saved yourself some cash and not bother to see this Silas.

Post #: 171
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 4:32:26 PM   
Timon

quote:

ORIGINAL: darth silas

quote:

This.

Its a pity that despite his long career that Ridley doesnt have the clout to make the film he wants to make.Hes just a yes man to the studios now.I get the impression that he would have rather not have to bother with the 3D aspect but he was forced to use it cos its all the rage.

Id have more faith in this project if Chris Nolan was directing,he has the clout to make whatever kind of film he wants and has the ability to say NO to the studios when it comes to their 3D.

Not that this will change the mind of anyone in particular, but Scott's been excited about it since he visited the Avatar set.

http://screenrant.com/james-cameron-avatar-inspires-ridley-scott-forever-war-ross-6392/

Post #: 172
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 4:32:28 PM   
pete_traynor

None of this strikes me as a man having been forced into 3D. He seems incredibly enthusiastic about the technology from what he’s been saying. Only the other day he said he won’t shoot in 2D again. And wasn’t he one of the few who visited the Avatar set a couple of years back and raved about the 3D being developed?

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 173
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 4:33:40 PM   
darth silas

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rgirvan44

Well I am sure you will be happy to have saved yourself some cash and not bother to see this Silas.

Im not saying for definite that i wont be seeing it.It may actually turn out to be very good.All im saying is that the signs so far are that the film is going to be a compromised work because of studio interference and Scotts inabilty to make the movie that he wants to make.

May wait for the DC on blu ray.

< Message edited by darth silas -- 25/7/2011 4:34:26 PM >

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 174
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 4:37:20 PM   
Timon

No you won't. You'll see it. Most people here will despite the hyperbolic threats to boycott it for no real reason whatsoever.

Post #: 175
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 4:45:17 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

I only meant that you can get away with a lot of shit in a PG-13 or a 12A flick.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 176
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 4:45:37 PM   
Tech_Noir

I wanna keep my expectations low, I rather be cynical now and be pleasantly surprised later than get excited now and get a "meh" experience later.

(in reply to Timon)
Post #: 177
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 4:50:25 PM   
pete_traynor

Just swung by IMDB and Lance Henriksen is listed in the cast? Anyone know if he's definitely in this?

Scrap that. Marked as rumoured.

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 25/7/2011 4:52:29 PM >

(in reply to Tech_Noir)
Post #: 178
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 4:52:38 PM   
Filmfan 2

quote:

ORIGINAL: pete_traynor

None of this strikes me as a man having been forced into 3D. He seems incredibly enthusiastic about the technology from what he's been saying. Only the other day he said he won't shoot in 2D again. And wasn't he one of the few who visited the Avatar set a couple of years back and raved about the 3D being developed?

I guess a relevant question is will audiences come and see 3D? Perhaps as the technology develops it will truly become quite stunning (I'm keen to see 48fps 3D), but there's already signs of audience fatigue with it.

I am not drinkin' any fuckin' Merlot!

"All I wanted me was a piece of cornbread, you motherfuckers!"

Defender of all things Batman Begins

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 179
RE: PROMETHEUS - 25/7/2011 5:18:15 PM   
mikeknight103

Edited for advertising links.

< Message edited by shool -- 26/7/2011 10:38:48 AM >

(in reply to Filmfan 2)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: PROMETHEUS Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI