Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: PROMETHEUS:

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: PROMETHEUS: Page: <<   < prev  38 39 40 41 [42]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 31/5/2012 3:27:47 PM   
Nexus Wookie

I think we should take Ian Nathan's 3 star review with a pinch of salt, afterall, this is the guy who gave TRANSFORMERS 4 fucking stars!

So by his estimation, Transformers is a better film than Prometheus, and Michael Bay a better director than Ridley Scott? Maybe they should have put Bay in charge! What a twat!

My blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 1231
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 31/5/2012 3:31:56 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nexus Wookie

I think we should take Ian Nathan's 3 star review with a pinch of salt, afterall, this is the guy who gave TRANSFORMERS 4 fucking stars!

So by his estimation, Transformers is a better film than Prometheus, and Michael Bay a better director than Ridley Scott? Maybe they should have put Bay in charge! What a twat!

Is this satire?

(in reply to Nexus Wookie)
Post #: 1232
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 31/5/2012 3:43:29 PM   
Nexus Wookie

Oops, wrong thread...head to Prometheus film review thread!

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 1233
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 1/6/2012 10:11:25 AM   
Rgirvan44

Ah I am going to miss this thread....

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

Post #: 1234
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 1/6/2012 10:13:56 AM   
Rob

Surely there's still so much to discuss for the upcoming James Cameron epic Prometheuses?

There's unquestionably sequels to be had if the box office responds well enough.

Same thing happened to me when I played Neil Armstrong in Moonshot. They found me in an alley in Burbank trying to re-enter the earth's atmosphere in an old refrigerator box.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 1235
RE: Prometheus: Alien 0 is dead! - 1/6/2012 2:28:41 PM   
Private Hudson

I enjoyed it. Watched it in the IMAX 3D at Braehead in Glasgow. I am not giving anything away, but I still enjoyed it despite the spoilers I knew already. Someone hit the nail on the head on the review thread saying that Alien was horror, Aliens was action, but Prometheus is a full blown sci-fi epic. Youc an see what they were trying. Ok it can't be allowed to be like 2001 because if it had little plot it wouldn't be too commercial, but it did open up and expand the Alien universe which is a good thing in itself.

Perhaps we will get more in the sequel with a look at the origin of life itself, and more about the Space Jockeys. Also I want to see more about Weyland Industries. I think they have now become the number 1 corporate bad guys in movie history.

The cast and visuals were great. I do agree that the prologue was perhaps giving too much away, but I guess once you have seen it and you begin watching it again on DVD it won't matter.

I hope in the Director's Cut we will hear "Prometheus has landed" which was cut, and also I hope they include Weyland's TED address and also the David 8 advert and perhaps even Shaw's application (which I haven't seen yet).

Ridley Scott is great at creating a world/environment or diegesis if you want to be techniclaly correct in which you want to go visit.

Oh and someone else did mention HP Lovecraft which I do agree that this is a kind of version of At The Mountains of Madness which is set in Antarctica and has at least one monster which makes a kind of appearance in this film (though a loose version of it).

And it IS still an Alien prequel. But that is what I loved about Alien and Aliens... especially the Dark Horse Graphic Novels, there was a whole universe out there which needed to be explored and expanded and although it was dark, lived in and creepy, above all it seemed real.

Watch my spoof movie of FULL METAL JACKET here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 1236
RE: Prometheus: Alien 0 is dead! - 3/6/2012 2:32:08 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Private Hudson

I enjoyed it. Watched it in the IMAX 3D at Braehead in Glasgow. I am not giving anything away, but I still enjoyed it despite the spoilers I knew already. Someone hit the nail on the head on the review thread saying that Alien was horror, Aliens was action, but Prometheus is a full blown sci-fi epic. Youc an see what they were trying. Ok it can't be allowed to be like 2001 because if it had little plot it wouldn't be too commercial, but it did open up and expand the Alien universe which is a good thing in itself.

Perhaps we will get more in the sequel with a look at the origin of life itself, and more about the Space Jockeys. Also I want to see more about Weyland Industries. I think they have now become the number 1 corporate bad guys in movie history.

The cast and visuals were great. I do agree that the prologue was perhaps giving too much away, but I guess once you have seen it and you begin watching it again on DVD it won't matter.

I hope in the Director's Cut we will hear "Prometheus has landed" which was cut, and also I hope they include Weyland's TED address and also the David 8 advert and perhaps even Shaw's application (which I haven't seen yet).

Ridley Scott is great at creating a world/environment or diegesis if you want to be techniclaly correct in which you want to go visit.

Oh and someone else did mention HP Lovecraft which I do agree that this is a kind of version of At The Mountains of Madness which is set in Antarctica and has at least one monster which makes a kind of appearance in this film (though a loose version of it).

And it IS still an Alien prequel. But that is what I loved about Alien and Aliens... especially the Dark Horse Graphic Novels, there was a whole universe out there which needed to be explored and expanded and although it was dark, lived in and creepy, above all it seemed real.

Wow! H.P Lovecraft! I never saw it that way, but now that you mention it, it seems very interesting! We even get to see a very Lovecraftian creature in it! Thats the things I love about this film, there are so many interpretations that one can find or take from the film. I too enjoyed it, it opened up the whole Alien universe, and by the time the credits were rolling my head was teaming with so many questions! I really hope they do a sequel!

(in reply to Private Hudson)
Post #: 1237
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 3/6/2012 8:37:26 AM   
danbo1138

quote:

This,Pro is a 4 star at least.

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

Post #: 1238
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 3/6/2012 11:24:41 AM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: danbo1138

quote:

This,Pro is a 4 star at least.

Yep, a 4 star here aswell. Its not a masterpiece, but its still a well made, beautiful, exciting, science fiction film, and one with big idea's ; I loved the 'Chariots of the Gods' aspect of it, and cannot wait to see a directors cut of it!

Its 'failures' tower over other film-maker's achievments like a giant colossus.

< Message edited by Nexus Wookie -- 3/6/2012 11:29:08 AM >

(in reply to danbo1138)
Post #: 1239
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 3/6/2012 3:31:46 PM   
danbo1138

Ha,well put. I;m interested in reading Chariots after all the times I've read it associated with this.

Come against me, if you dare! I am the storm! Come if you dare, Shai'tan! I am the Dragon Reborn!

Post #: 1240
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 3/6/2012 7:18:04 PM   
Cool Breeze

quote:

In fairness, Ridley Scott had never made a film as hugely entertaining as The Rock.

'' Iv played Oskar Schindler, Michael Collins, Rob Roy Mcgregor, even ZEUS for gods sake! No one is going to believe me to be a green grocer! ''

Post #: 1241
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 3/6/2012 11:26:55 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze

quote:

In fairness, Ridley Scott had never made a film as hugely entertaining as The Rock.

I agree, The Rock is fucking mental!

(in reply to Cool Breeze)
Post #: 1242
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 4/6/2012 12:56:03 AM   
Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

Are we actually comparing Ridley to Bay here?

Seriously?!

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
And I looked and behold, a pale horse
And his name that sat on him was Death
And Hell followed with him.

Post #: 1243
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 4/6/2012 9:50:55 AM   
Fincher

Surely you mean Tony Scott?

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 1244
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 5/6/2012 5:38:56 PM   
Private Hudson

Sean Connery is what makes The Rock and indeed the late John Spencer for his immortal line: "Mason! You cocksucker!".

Oh and William Forsyth (Cockeye himself) and his great exchange with Connery about Alexander Solzhenitsyn... "Didn't he play Hockey for the Nicks (or something like that)". "Yes, that's the chap."

Okay so as a director Bay cannot lace Ridley's boots, but The Rock is a superb movie. I have always said on here (even way back on the original forum - and not the one before 2005, I'm talking about 15 years ago) there is a snobbery about movies which I feel is unjustifed. Movies are entertainment. Perhaps they can be art also, but I believe they are entertainment first and foremost, and popcorn movies as people like to call them can be fecking brilliant. The Rock is a classic movie which takes tired elements we have seen in many different films and a B-movie premise, but thanks to a witty script, a superb cast, and good direction from Michael Bay it somehow all turns out a lot better than it should have.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCGRWVvM-Zo&feature=plcp&context=C31ca298UDOEgsToPDskJ4_UorjolrWTaxEGMj5GO0

(in reply to Fincher)
Post #: 1245
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 5/6/2012 6:31:34 PM   
warren7355

Saw it. Thought it was a mess. If it was directed by somebody other than Scott people would be ripping it to peices. I won't bother to list all of the plot holes and scenes/character choices that made no sense whatsoever as they've all been mentioned already.

That is all.

Post #: 1246
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 5/6/2012 8:01:55 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

Seriously?!

Ridley Scott is a god amongst film directors - Bay on the other, is a court jester! The difference between the two is vast like a giant chasm between the two. The only Bay film I did enjoy were The Rock, and a few minutes here and there from Armageddon. Transformers? The only thing I like about it is the visual effects by ILM. As for Ridley, via Alien and Blade Runner, he gave the world two of the greatest science fiction films ever, and in the latter my favourite film of all time! Not to mention the much underrated fantasy epic Legend, Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven Directors Cut and so on. And more recently Prometheus which I enjoyed.

Bay is nothing like Ridley Scott!

(in reply to Spaldron)
Post #: 1247
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 5/6/2012 8:06:37 PM   
Nexus Wookie

quote:

ORIGINAL: warren7355

Saw it. Thought it was a mess. If it was directed by somebody other than Scott people would be ripping it to peices. I won't bother to list all of the plot holes and scenes/character choices that made no sense whatsoever as they've all been mentioned already.

That is all.

People are ripping it to pieces! Regardless of the fact Scott is director!

(in reply to warren7355)
Post #: 1248
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 7/6/2012 2:39:21 PM   
OPEN YOUR EYES

Damon Lindelof on a possible Prometheus sequel.

“Ridley was very interested in talking about, ‘What are the answers to the questions that Prometheus is posing that are not necessarily definitively spelled out in the body of Prometheus?’ ” Lindelof says.

“I said to him, we should be prepared for people to feel frustrated if we’re going to be withholding, so we have to be very careful about what we’re saving for later," he continues. "Because it’s not a foregone conclusion that there are going to be sequels, and so if there isn’t a sequel, just be comfortable with what we gave them in this movie."

Lindelof says that his experience on the acclaimed but decidedly polarizing Lost attuned him to the opportunities -- and responsibilities -- of creating a mythology for Prometheus that audiences will care about.

“The audience is given a little more information than the characters in the movie have,” he explains. “And it’s our hope that fires the imagination up enough for them to say, ‘I might want to see Prometheus again’ or ‘I definitely want to see where this movie takes me.’ Because this movie has two children: One of these children grows up to be Alien, but the other child is going to grow up, and God knows what happens to them. And that’s what the sequel to Prometheus would be.”

When Scott originally launched the project with screenwriter Jon Spaihts, the director suggested that the title be Paradise, heralding the word’s “spooky connotations.”

After Lindelof took over the reins on the script, the title changed to Prometheus, though rumors linger that Scott might revive Paradise for a sequel.

“That’s only a title that was being tossed around at various stages in the development,” Lindelof says. “He did need to know what the answers to some of these questions are in Prometheus, just to shoot Prometheus. [But] Ridley was very confident and assured in saying, ‘I’m very comfortable with exactly what Prometheus is providing.’ ”

========================================================================================
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/prometheus-damon-lindelof-sequel-ridley-scott-paradise-332875

Post #: 1249
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 8/6/2012 2:08:15 AM   
Private Hudson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spaldron

quote:

quote:

quote:

Seriously?!

Ridley Scott is a god amongst film directors - Bay on the other, is a court jester! The difference between the two is vast like a giant chasm between the two. The only Bay film I did enjoy were The Rock, and a few minutes here and there from Armageddon. Transformers? The only thing I like about it is the visual effects by ILM. As for Ridley, via Alien and Blade Runner, he gave the world two of the greatest science fiction films ever, and in the latter my favourite film of all time! Not to mention the much underrated fantasy epic Legend, Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven Directors Cut and so on. And more recently Prometheus which I enjoyed.

Bay is nothing like Ridley Scott!

Is he really?

As I have said on the Film review thread, Ridley's two masterpieces, Alien & Blade Runner owe far more to other people: Alien (Dan O'Bannon & H. R. Giger), Blade Runner (Hampton Fincher & Syd Mead).

He has made some good movies since, but even Gladiator is a load of old piffle.

Alien & Blade Runner along with Black Hawk Down are the only Ridley movies I would watch over and over. The rest of his back catalogue is journeyman and workmanlike.

He is a great visualist, but movies are about storytelling and despite what he claims, I do not believe he is interested more in story than visuals.

Post #: 1250
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 11/6/2012 10:46:36 AM   
T3Kaos

Am I the only person to notice that this movie ends incorrectly to tie in with Alien. In Alien the crew of the Nostromo find 'The Engineer Pilot' or 'Space Jokey' in his pilots chair, helmet on, with a chest wound indicating that he was killed by a Chest Burster exploding from his chest. However in Prometheus he is killed by a 3rd Generation Evolving 'Face Hugger' or maybe more apt nomenclature of 'Body Hugger' aboard the rescue pod?

Sooooo....anyone want to explain this one?

Post #: 1251
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 11/6/2012 10:59:26 AM   
shool

Different planet, different Space Jockey.

Invisio Text for Spoilers
[ color=#F1F1F1 ] Spoiler text [ /color ] , remove spaces between square brackets

"No one knows what it means, but it's provocative... It gets the people going!"

(in reply to T3Kaos)
Post #: 1252
RE: PROMETHEUS: - 13/6/2012 10:35:19 AM   
pete_traynor

quote:

ORIGINAL: shool

Different planet, different Space Jockey.

SPOILERS

I honestly don’t see how people aren’t getting that . They state the planet early on and it’s not LV-426. Aside from that, it visually completely different.

Scott’s comments about the last eight or so minutes connecting to (not directly) Alien is merely showing the Jockey impregnated by the huge squid/cthulhu/facehugger and then birthing an alien... which is curiously well developed, given the size they are born at in every other film.

< Message edited by pete_traynor -- 13/6/2012 11:26:13 AM >

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to shool)
Post #: 1253
Page:   <<   < prev  38 39 40 41 [42]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> RE: PROMETHEUS: Page: <<   < prev  38 39 40 41 [42]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI