Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Golden Globe Winners 2011

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Golden Globe Winners 2011 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Golden Globe Winners 2011 - 17/1/2011 5:27:36 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: FLASHMAN - 17/1/2011 10:27:14 AM   
JIm R

Just really pleased Bale has been recognised at last beyond worthy plaudits.
Post #: 2
RE: http://clothesmall.org - 17/1/2011 12:51:01 PM   
Beno

go avvay naughty people of zion

"The one about the space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedalbin. His Father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his Sister. Lego ... They're all made of fucking Lego!!"
Post #: 3
RE: http://clothesmall.org - 17/1/2011 1:19:14 PM   
Hobbitonlass

You waved them away Beno

I'm really pleased that I saw The King's Speech last week as I can totally understand why Colin Firth was given the Globe.  Completely worthy!

Come join in the Photo competition http://www.empireonline.com/forum/tm.asp?m=3116407&mpage=1&key=

(in reply to Beno)
Post #: 4
RE: Bale - 17/1/2011 2:24:21 PM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: boristhespie

Bale for me is well over rated. Like Depp or Pacino its allways the same. Mannered, schtick, look at me, i am " acting" historyonics. Good cartoon acting but not subtle nor truefull.

Predictable awaed for a predictable and unbelieveable performance laxking class

Really?! I would say that if you are pegging the likes of Depp and Bale as 'always being the same' that you haven't watched any films that they have been in beyond Pirates of the Caribean and the Batman films. How you can compare Bale's The Machinist (which who should have been nominated for) with something like The Dark Knight is beyond me...

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion but strange criticism given the evidence.

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting
Post #: 5
RE: Bale - 17/1/2011 2:29:27 PM   
Dirtyfunkymonkey

Have you actually seen The Fighter? Bale is amazing in it and gets the characteristics of the Dicky Ecklund down to a T.... you haven't even seen it have you... an unbelievable performance... are you sure?
Think you have only been watch so called Blockbuster movies and such mate....

As for the Pacino comments.... ha, jog on mate
Post #: 6
RE: Ricky Gervais to host again? - 18/1/2011 1:01:48 PM   
Cruisecontroller

I hope he doesn`t host it again I think there were times where he crossed the line on Sunday night and was just being nasty and like a jeering overgrown school boy who needs to be put back in his place. If he wants to continue to do well in Hollywood he`s going the wrong way about it unless he wants to be the next Howard Stern. He really is like David Brent. Being cheeky is one thing but some of those jokes were just downright mean. If I was Robert Downey Junior I would have been very tempted to punch his lights out the smug git. 

Oh and as for the awards themselves  I think The Social Network is overated its good but not that good The Kings Speech should have got more awards. Well done to the Kids Are Alright that was a worthy winner. About time Annette Bening got  big awards for her acting and although I`m not sure I like him as a person Christian Bale is long overdue big awards for his impressive acting. Can`t wait to see Black Swan.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5
Post #: 7
RE: Ricky Gervais to host again? - 18/1/2011 1:17:31 PM   
Letattz

agree with most sentiments on here.  However, how much of Gervais performance was essentially just that - a performance?  In a way, you are not hiring him to be 'themselves'.  You are hiring in a performer - and asking Gervais to bring his own take on what that 'role' should look like?  I am sure all the other stars on stage saw it that way - look at Carrels comedy push on Gervais. 

He was also reading off the autocue, so surely someone checked  and ok'd it.  I reckon they love it for the headlines.

If you want a sign of what it could be otherwise - witness Downey Jnr's 10 minute death on stage with his joke about sleeping with actresses.  Now THAT was woeful.

Charlie, give your mother a kiss, or I'll kick your teeth in.

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 8
RE: Ricky Gervais to host again? - 18/1/2011 4:18:38 PM   
Wild about Wilder

They must've known what they were letting themselves in for I mean last years "I like a drink as much as the next man unless the next man is Mel Gibson" introduction to Mel Gibson is just as bad when you realise the mans an alcoholic.
I say FUCK EM ! if the Yanks can't take a joke I can think of  loads of American comics past & present who would've been just as bad if not worse.

(in reply to Letattz)
Post #: 9
RE: Ricky Gervais to host again? - 19/1/2011 2:23:39 AM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Letattz
He was also reading off the autocue, so surely someone checked  and ok'd it.  I reckon they love it for the headlines.

Exactly! He wasn't making it up as he went, he would have been reading from a script that was written for him. He would add bits, but I'm pretty sure the script was worked hard on and scrutinised by a zillion lawyers who would tell them what can and can not be said. That's just how American TV works. Yet, people still bitch about him, it's a bit odd.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Letattz)
Post #: 10
RE: Ricky Gervais to host again? - 19/1/2011 3:48:59 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Letattz

Exactly! He wasn't making it up as he went, he would have been reading from a script that was written for him. He would add bits, but I'm pretty sure the script was worked hard on and scrutinised by a zillion lawyers who would tell them what can and can not be said. That's just how American TV works. Yet, people still bitch about him, it's a bit odd.

The organisers were asking for trouble letting him do that routine there as much to blame but I don`t think its that odd to dislike his disregard for peoples feelings and not careing if people are offended. Taking the piss out of someone having substance abuse issues is mean although I`m sure he was right about some famous Sciencetologists! Some of his routine was funny but there were times it bordered on bullying taunts. Not nice.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 11
RE: Ricky Gervais to host again? - 19/1/2011 4:01:02 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller

I hope he doesn`t host it again I think there were times where he crossed the line on Sunday night and was just being nasty and like a jeering overgrown school boy who needs to be put back in his place. If he wants to continue to do well in Hollywood he`s going the wrong way about it unless he wants to be the next Howard Stern. He really is like David Brent. Being cheeky is one thing but some of those jokes were just downright mean. If I was Robert Downey Junior I would have been very tempted to punch his lights out the smug git. 

If Ricky had been a child he probably would have.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 12
RE: Ricky Gervais to host again? - 20/1/2011 12:07:27 AM   
oddzag

The fact that The Tourist was even nominated invalidated this entire ceremony.

Ain't logical. Cuttin' on his own face, rapin' and murdering - Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight... or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight, or if he bothers me, or if there's a woman, or if I'm gettin' paid - mostly only when I'm gettin' paid.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 13
RE: Ricky Gervais to host again? - 20/1/2011 9:03:25 AM   
waltham1979

quote:

ORIGINAL: KEENEQ

so it seems unlikely that the Hollywood Foreign Press Association will invite Gervais back to host again. No worries: I say we send 'em Frankie Boyle for next years show.

Would love this!! The Golden Globes music starts, the lights come on and Hollywoods finest actors and actresses are greeted by "you alright c*nts!!" hahaha

I just wish stuff like, I don't know, the slow & systemic CRATERING of this country could inspire the same call-to-arms as Batman casting
Post #: 14
RE: Ricky Gervais to host again? - 21/1/2011 3:14:39 PM   
HighwayJoe

quote:

Absolutely.

I'm under the impression that 90% of it was scripted, including Downey Jrs reaction. Someone on here mentioned Carrell's "shove" to Gervais--which was obviously rehearsed. I think Downey Jr's, Hank's and Allen's comebacks were so smoothly delivered and strangely on cue that they must have been rehearsed. They just didn't look spontaneous.

The one Gervais joke I really didn't care for was the Gay Scientologists one. And not because I care who is or isn't gay, but because it's really high-time comedians moved away from suggesting that being gay is the biggest insult you can toss at a man. Especially since this year's Golden Globes included a movie about lesbian moms and nominations [and wins] for 2 actual gay actors. The whole "gay" thing was a cheap joke. I expected something wittier from Gervais.

(in reply to Letattz)
Post #: 15
RE: Ricky Gervais to host again? - 21/1/2011 3:44:18 PM   
white mage

Don't know why Ricky Garvais is hosting this, he isn'st funny, although he thinks he is. Very happy Black Swan, Glee, and Toy Story 3 got some wins

We do not write the songs, we live them

(in reply to HighwayJoe)
Post #: 16
RE: Ricky Gervais to host again? - 21/1/2011 6:49:06 PM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: HighwayJoe

quote:

Absolutely.

I'm under the impression that 90% of it was scripted, including Downey Jrs reaction. Someone on here mentioned Carrell's "shove" to Gervais--which was obviously rehearsed. I think Downey Jr's, Hank's and Allen's comebacks were so smoothly delivered and strangely on cue that they must have been rehearsed. They just didn't look spontaneous.

The one Gervais joke I really didn't care for was the Gay Scientologists one. And not because I care who is or isn't gay, but because it's really high-time comedians moved away from suggesting that being gay is the biggest insult you can toss at a man. Especially since this year's Golden Globes included a movie about lesbian moms and nominations [and wins] for 2 actual gay actors. The whole "gay" thing was a cheap joke. I expected something wittier from Gervais.

I don't think he was doing that at all, the joke was quite clearly aimed at the hypocrisy of the actors in question. Whoever they are.

www.hollywoodunbound.co.uk - some nonsense about alien film directors and musclebound man-children.

(in reply to HighwayJoe)
Post #: 17
RE: Ricky Gervais to host again? - 22/1/2011 8:58:56 PM   
HighwayJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives
I don't think he was doing that at all, the joke was quite clearly aimed at the hypocrisy of the actors in question. Whoever they are.

What hypocrisy? Do you mean the hypocrisy of actually being gay and remaining within the closet...?

Because the joke was about Tom Cruise and John Travolta. Neither of whom strike me as closeted gay men, regardless of how often comedians of all stripes like to suggest that they are. The whole "they're gay" joke is part of the bigger "Scientologists are a bunch of idiots" joke. And, come on, those are two very obvious, very overdone, tired jokes. If Cruise and Travolta wind up being gay after all [who knows?], going on about it will still be a tired joke.

I liked his attacks on the HFPA much better.

(in reply to horribleives)
Post #: 18
RE: Ricky Gervais to host again? - 23/1/2011 12:02:02 AM   
horribleives

quote:

ORIGINAL: HighwayJoe

quote:

ORIGINAL: horribleives

What hypocrisy? Do you mean the hypocrisy of actually being gay and remaining within the closet...?

No, the hypocrisy of being gay and not only denying it but pretending to be heterosexual and happily married.

(in reply to HighwayJoe)
Post #: 19
RE: Ricky Gervais to host again? - 23/1/2011 5:19:00 AM   
horatio hornblower

quote:

ORIGINAL: oddzag

The fact that The Tourist was even nominated invalidated this entire ceremony.

what's pretty funny is that it was nominated in the musical or comedy category and it happens to be neither...yet scott pilgrim vs the world wasn't nominated despite being both a musical and a comedy(well sort of anyway)

Between the idea
And the reality
Between the motion
And the act
Falls the Shadow

(in reply to oddzag)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Movie News >> Golden Globe Winners 2011 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI