Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - 14/1/2011 2:36:01 PM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - 17/1/2011 2:43:22 AM   
thejamesf

Great movie! thats all i can say!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 2
- 6/3/2011 5:21:02 PM   
magicmonkey92

The books are one of my favourites, such a shame to hear Stieg was to make a series of 10 before his untimely death. I also love the Swedish adaptions and I love David Fincher, so I'm looking forward to this franchise.

Post #: 3
Dear Hollywood, - 10/3/2011 1:20:22 PM   
tiger13

Dear Hollywood, Please do not be offended but get lost. There is nothing wrong with the original movie so why do you feel you need to remake it? The only conclusion I can think of is you have no talent and imagination left.

Post #: 4
Hmm - 22/3/2011 4:16:37 PM   
blaud

It'll be interesting to see this done for a western audience. Ah well, if anyone can do it, Fincher can.

Post #: 5
trailer - 25/5/2011 11:42:12 PM   
kirk

saw a sneaky showing of the trailer for Fincher's latest
Very much like the Social network trailer, it has amazing music and no speaking.

lots of amazing images....but well.....
dont want to spoil it...
it looks amazing.
Hopefully will get a release soon....

Post #: 6
Teaser Trailer - 29/5/2011 11:35:11 AM   
Leightwinst

http://youtu.be/8kOFGI0p6SM

Post #: 7
FFS! - 31/5/2011 12:11:36 PM   
MangaTard

I hate the fact that people are whining "Urgghh, it looks shit, why do they have to remake the swedish version, hollywood has no talent whine whine whine!" Seriously, it's so pathetic. IT IS AN ADAPTION OF THE BOOK! Jesus christ! Not a fucking remake of the film. And let's just be thankful that Fincher is directing it because he's probably the only one who could tug the brilliance of the book into his ADAPTION. I'm not dissing the swedish version, but please... whiners: film-bash somewhere else.

Post #: 8
Girl With Dragon Tattoo - 26/6/2011 11:44:47 AM   
jkconnell

Whilst not the first time that Hollywood has remade a foreign film, it is perhaps the first time that it has been done to a foreign film that has had as much mainstream success as the Swedish trilogy. I fail to see how the US film can add anything to the Swedish interpretation which is why I see it a somewhat pointless exercise. With Fincer and Craig on board though, it should be an interesting watch - I hope the tone is done well and not dumbed down too much for American audiences.

Post #: 9
RE: Dear Hollywood, - 10/8/2011 1:45:44 AM   
kevtiggersmith

quote:

ORIGINAL: tiger13

Dear Hollywood, Please do not be offended but get lost. There is nothing wrong with the original movie so why do you feel you need to remake it? The only conclusion I can think of is you have no talent and imagination left.

Saying that David Fincher has no talent or imagination is just... wow...

I'm looking forward to seeing what is done with this adaptation of the book (not remake of the film). I really don't know how some of the major themes will survive the transition from Scandinavia to the US but even if the subtexts of corruption and misogyny are watered down, I have faith that this will still be a first rate thriller.

Improvise, adapt and overcome

(in reply to tiger13)
Post #: 10
RE: Dear Hollywood, - 20/8/2011 7:45:58 PM   
ElephantBoy

A lot of people are quite down on the swedish version of these films, but I thought with the exception of the middle part they did a great job. The first one was very stylish, and gripping, and the writing of the characters was very good, and I think Fincher has a tough task to follow here.

(in reply to kevtiggersmith)
Post #: 11
Really looking forward to it! - 23/8/2011 2:22:51 PM   
Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D

I know it may be an incredibly unoriginal idea to remake a fantastic movie which only came out two years ago, but I think it'll be great as it is in David Fincher's very capable hands. Also, it'll bring such a great idea to a much wider audience as I know there are people out there who have not and, probably, will not watch the original as it is in a different language and alot of people are too lazy to read subtitles. Those people are ignorant, I know, but this will give them the opportunity to see something great. Another reason I'm looking forward to it is that Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross are working on the soundtrack. Trent Reznor is a total hero to me and I know they will provide great atmosphere to the finished work.

Post #: 12
RE: Really looking forward to it! - 20/9/2011 11:24:15 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Anyone know if Fincher is doing the other two films or is it just this one???

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D)
Post #: 13
RE: Really looking forward to it! - 22/9/2011 11:08:44 PM   
max314

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo with James Bond and No Subtitles

MAX

Laying the 314 on your candy ass.

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 14
RE: Really looking forward to it! - 25/9/2011 9:38:47 PM   
MartinBlank76

Wasnt fussed on the original but this is fincher and I really enjoyed the new trailer, makes it look real edge of seat, something the original was lacking. But maybe the trailer is cut to ramp that aspect up. Noomi Rapace looks more the part but rooney mara might be fine in the actual film, and craig is always good value.

I'm just a fella. I think beer should be cold and boots should be dusty. I think 911 was bad. And freedom? Well, I think thats just a little bit better.

(in reply to max314)
Post #: 15
RE: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - 6/10/2011 10:59:20 PM   
TheAdamGregg

A Remake. But is that my biggest problem, no not really, remakes can sometimes be good if not better. (doesn't happen a lot but can). my problem is that (like a lot of people) is they remake the movie which already has the audience and are good (if not great, sometimes) movies. yet they don't remake films that are a little less knew to the wide audience. so I can understand why people see hollywood as money grabbing people.

I will go and see this film like so many but will take a lot to make me like this over the Swedish vision, It would have to do alot for that to happen but i'll give it a chance. I mean I gave Let me in a chance and its good but I choose let the right one in because its better made and because I watched let the right one in first, let me in was just like watching the same movie...

like I said, I'll give it a chance and it could be good but there is always going to be that thing in my mind that says its a remake and that could be a problem unless it pulls out something good.

Im Adam And I Love Films

Post #: 16
RE: Really looking forward to it! - 6/10/2011 11:04:55 PM   
TheAdamGregg

quote:

Anyone know if Fincher is doing the other two films or is it just this one???

I would say if it's a success then yep probably... seem pretty dumb not to and if it fails, well, just well...

Im Adam And I Love Films

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 17
RE: Really looking forward to it! - 7/10/2011 12:51:20 PM   
Rgirvan44

Can they release the damn cover of Immigrant Song now please. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to TheAdamGregg)
Post #: 18
RE: The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo - 20/10/2011 1:23:38 AM   
afreeland

I was surprised to find that no-one had tried this before but I've made a comparison cut of the US "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" teaser for the original, Swedish version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRovpBCl86A

I found it interesting to compare the obvious similarities of the two films' approaches and the key differences as well.

There's a full frame version of the swedish cut as well which should link through at the end if you're interested.

Post #: 19
Heads-up... - 20/10/2011 10:29:21 PM   
HighwayJoe

Is Stella Skarsgard Stellan's daughter, then? ;) Just a friendly heads-up to the spellcheckers.

That being said, I agree with those whose sentiment is that there is no real reason to remake a movie so well received that its until-then-unknown-to-most-star Noomi Rapace has now become famous worldwide, enough to get her a role in the Holmes sequel. I love Craig and I love Skarsgard, but the world could've done without this movie, same as it could've done without 'Let Me in.' Scandinavian cinema should be celebrated for what it is and how it's made--without all of these US-friendly remakes.

Post #: 20
RE: Heads-up... - 21/10/2011 1:15:37 PM   
Rgirvan44

Let Me In was a lot stronger than Let the Right One In I felt, and even a glance at that trailer comparison shows a real difference in how the two films feel. Plus the have changed things about for the American version so will be interesting to see what it does. 

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to HighwayJoe)
Post #: 21
RE: Heads-up... - 21/10/2011 8:01:40 PM   
Fincher

Finchers wants a 3 hour cut and Sony wants a 2 hours and 20 min. cut. Give Fincher what he wants Sony!!

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/22169/-dragon-tattoo-runtime-debate-new-video

"David Fincher's adaptation of Stieg Larsson's best-selling novel "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" has appeared to have had a relatively smooth run behind-the-scenes so far.

Today though came a speed bump - the issue of runtime according to The Playlist. Fincher currently sits on a three hour cut of the film, but Sony Pictures wants a version no longer than two hours and twenty minutes.

Directors and studios always battle over runtime but usually the discrepancy isn't this large. Nor is this new for Fincher who famously feuded with Paramount over the runtime of "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button".

While that film ended up running 166 minutes, it cost Fincher - the studio essentially scuttling his "Torso" and "Heavy Metal" projects which were in development at the studio at the time.

Playlist posits that if the ordeal escalates, it is possible Fincher may not return to direct the next two films in the proposed 'Girl' trilogy. That sounds a bit alarmist, and one should remember Fincher had no problems with Sony over "The Social Network" - though that film clocked in at a tight two hours exactly.

The previous Swedish-language adaptation of the 533-page book was shot as a three-hour mini-series which was edited down to a two-and-a-half hour film version for its theatrical run. Even at 150 minutes though it had to cut quite a few elements out of the book to fit. The two-hour film cut of the sequel "The Girl Who Played with Fire" lost huge swaths of the second book much to its detriment."

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 22
RE: Heads-up... - 22/10/2011 11:47:54 AM   
Borderboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fincher

Finchers wants a 3 hour cut and Sony wants a 2 hours and 20 min. cut. Give Fincher what he wants Sony!!

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/22169/-dragon-tattoo-runtime-debate-new-video

"David Fincher's adaptation of Stieg Larsson's best-selling novel "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" has appeared to have had a relatively smooth run behind-the-scenes so far.

Today though came a speed bump - the issue of runtime according to The Playlist. Fincher currently sits on a three hour cut of the film, but Sony Pictures wants a version no longer than two hours and twenty minutes.

Directors and studios always battle over runtime but usually the discrepancy isn't this large. Nor is this new for Fincher who famously feuded with Paramount over the runtime of "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button".

While that film ended up running 166 minutes, it cost Fincher - the studio essentially scuttling his "Torso" and "Heavy Metal" projects which were in development at the studio at the time.

Playlist posits that if the ordeal escalates, it is possible Fincher may not return to direct the next two films in the proposed 'Girl' trilogy. That sounds a bit alarmist, and one should remember Fincher had no problems with Sony over "The Social Network" - though that film clocked in at a tight two hours exactly.

The previous Swedish-language adaptation of the 533-page book was shot as a three-hour mini-series which was edited down to a two-and-a-half hour film version for its theatrical run. Even at 150 minutes though it had to cut quite a few elements out of the book to fit. The two-hour film cut of the sequel "The Girl Who Played with Fire" lost huge swaths of the second book much to its detriment."

quote:

I agree totally!

If a job is worth doing it should be done well.

Squeezing this story can only detract from it. I feel that the brilliant, (but deceased Stig Larsson), should be honoured by screenplay that is true to his novel. Even the swedish version was squeezed and shortened. For instance the relationship between Blomquist and Berger, (not to mention her husband), is not brought to the fore in the first film. This relationship and the sexual preferences of Berger are important when the third part of the trilogy is taken into consideration.

The books are all lengthy, 538, 569 and a massive 743 pages for the finale. We all know it is difficult to follow that length of text with celluloid but Peter Jackson managed to do it with the Lord of The Rings, so why not this story?

Of course this story has something in common with Tolkien's masterpiece, it is set out as a trilogy. It is imperative that Fincher be committed to finishing the plot on the big screen with regard to other two books, The Girl Who Played With Fire and The Girl Who Kicked The Hornets Nest, so that the story has a middle and and ending. The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo is only the start of this process.

All that apart, the Salander portrayed in the swedish version of GWTDT was exactly as I had imagined, so it will be interesting what happens with this new one.

< Message edited by Borderboy -- 22/10/2011 11:55:13 AM >

(in reply to Fincher)
Post #: 23
RE: Heads-up... - 26/10/2011 1:40:23 PM   
pete_traynor

Just finished the original trilogy... it has only peaked my excitement and hopes for this all the more!

First one was good but if weíre being honest, it could be absolutely amazing! And as is, itís not... itís good. It was always going to take a truly gifted director (nationality irrelevant) adapting it into an actual feature film (not a TV series) to do it right. So far, Fincherís trailer alone has 100 times more pace and cinematic flare than the entire original trilogy put together. It was just a glorified TV miniseries and I donít understand why people are so protective of them. Especially as the second and third are really rather dull. If it were a Ratner or Bay type handling this version Iíd share concerns for sure... but itís David Fincher! Working from a really strong story with a pretty amazing cast!

But as much as this is my most anticipated film for the rest of the year, the first one was definitely the strongest by far. This will smash it but I hope Fincher makes all three as the second two are in need of a different directors take quite badly.

In his hands this could be a powerhouse trilogy to be reckoned with! Give him final cut Sony... give him whatever the hell he wants to get him signed for all three!

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Borderboy)
Post #: 24
RE: Heads-up... - 9/12/2011 1:08:50 AM   
Rgirvan44

Run time is 157m 55s and has been rated 18 by the BBFC

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 25
RE: Heads-up... - 9/12/2011 9:32:03 AM   
pete_traynor

Expected but good to hear officially nonetheless. Canít imagine how you would have diluted this stuff down to even a 15 as itís seriously brutal in places!

Hoping Fox attach the Prometheus trailer to it as well! Sweeten an already sweet looking deal.

EXTREMELY LIMITED 1/1 FILM DIRECTOR HAND DRAWN ORIGINALS COMING SOON - http://lomierart.blogspot.co.uk/

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 26
RE: Heads-up... - 9/12/2011 11:02:16 AM   
garvielloken

Can't wait for the soundtrack too. Trent Reznor did some amazing work on The Social Network score.

Exactly six miles north of Skagg Mountain in the Valley of Pain, there lives an evil devilmonster. His name is Bingo Gas Station Motel Cheeseburger With A Side Of Aircraft Noise And You'll Be Gary Indiana.

Razzle them, dazzle them. Razzle dazzle them.

(in reply to pete_traynor)
Post #: 27
RE: Heads-up... - 17/12/2011 2:21:22 PM   
Invader_Ace

Edit. Nothing to see here.

< Message edited by Invader_Ace -- 17/12/2011 2:31:46 PM >

(in reply to garvielloken)
Post #: 28
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Future Films >> The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News††|††Empire Blog††|††Movie Reviews††|††Future Films††|††Features††|††Video Interviews††|††Image Gallery††|††Competitions††|††Forum††|††Magazine††|††Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI