Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: PSP2

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: PSP2 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: PSP2 - 27/1/2011 11:38:50 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: SWOTBM

Definitely has a lot going for it; good first party game support, very pretty graphics, what looks like cross-system trophy compatibility.  Although no mention of price or battery life; I might consider paying £200-250 for a bundle.  But I need to see more details and hands on footage first. 

Developers are saying 4 hours, I mentioned it two posts up.

It's not going to be any cheaper than £250-300 IMO and I doubt with a game either.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 27/1/2011 12:00:15 PM >

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 31
RE: PSP2 - 27/1/2011 11:58:32 AM   
Chief

It'd better be fucking ground breaking for that kind of money.

4 hour battery life for a portable device? So it's portable, as long as you're not going too far?

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 32
RE: PSP2 - 27/1/2011 12:19:19 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

Definitely has a lot going for it; good first party game support, very pretty graphics, what looks like cross-system trophy compatibility.  Although no mention of price or battery life; I might consider paying £200-250 for a bundle.  But I need to see more details and hands on footage first. 

You said rumoured 4 hour battery life.  I dont think Sony have officially said what the battery life is just yet. 

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

Post #: 33
RE: PSP2 - 27/1/2011 12:26:56 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

quote:

quote:

You said rumoured 4 hour battery life.  I dont think Sony have officially said what the battery life is just yet. 

I trust the developers, the same ones that leaked all the correct information about the console before it was announced.

Also if it was a decent number Sony would have told us it rather than elude from telling us.

EDIT: They've been asked about the figure coming from developers, their response was

"We'll have a good, solid battery life because of two factors," he said. "It's influenced our choice of flash media, versus incorporating a disc drive; and number two, the screen is large and gorgeous – it's also OLED, which is fantastically good for low power consumption as well.

"So there are two, I think strong, features there that bode very well for battery life."

No numbers again, it's going to be 4-5 hours by the looks of things, it's a typical PR spin there.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 27/1/2011 12:30:20 PM >

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 34
RE: PSP2 - 27/1/2011 12:34:23 PM   
SWOTBM

Or perhaps the battery life and price are exceptionally good and Sony wants to withold the two most important pieces of information for E3/TGS to maintain interest in the console.  The lack of detail on battery life/price cuts both ways.  Like I said, I will wait until an official announcement is made from Sony. 

Post #: 35
RE: PSP2 - 27/1/2011 12:51:17 PM   
Chief

quote:

Or perhaps the battery life and price are exceptionally good and Sony wants to withold the two most important pieces of information for E3/TGS to maintain interest in the console.  The lack of detail on battery life/price cuts both ways.  Like I said, I will wait until an official announcement is made from Sony. 

Fingers crossed, but I doubt it.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 36
RE: PSP2 - 27/1/2011 12:51:21 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

Like when Nintendo didn't announce a UK price for 3DS, then retailers announced it was a ridiculously high one?

I doubt that at all, they haven't announced price simply because there's still enough time to reduce some of the manufacturing costs, but battery specs isn't something you'd hold back for a big E3 reveal. E3 update: Rockstar announce GTA V, Shenmue 3 is finally getting made, Nintendo Wii 2 next year! PSP2 6 hours battery life! That'd be one of the worst big announcements ever

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 37
RE: PSP2 - 27/1/2011 12:59:44 PM   
kata

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-27-sony-ngp-price-will-be-affordable

quote:

"I can't put a ballpark on it in terms of figures, but what I would say is that we will shoot for an affordable price that's appropriate for the handheld gaming space,"

£250 then... £249.99

< Message edited by kata -- 27/1/2011 1:00:21 PM >

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

Post #: 38
RE: PSP2 - 27/1/2011 1:10:24 PM   
paulyboy

These threads always go the same way:

"Rumored price is around £249.99"

"That's just a rumoured price, I'll wait for an official confirmation"

"Official price is set at £249.99!"

"Oh........"

Taking into account the grunt this thing carries for a handheld and the price the 3DS is already gunning for, anyone who thinks this will retail in the UK for less than say £200 (and that's an immaculate conception style miracle bare minimum!) is being incredibly naive.

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"

Post #: 39
RE: PSP2 - 27/1/2011 2:06:20 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

Microsoft should release a handheld, I'd buy one then. That is all.

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 40
RE: PSP2 - 27/1/2011 2:38:46 PM   
directorscut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Your Funny Uncle

Microsoft should release a handheld, I'd buy one then. That is all.

Aren't you a tad optimistic there?

Member of the TMNT 1000 Club.

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 41
RE: PSP2 - 27/1/2011 3:28:25 PM   
Your Funny Uncle

That joke is lost on someone that still has a working Xbox 360 launch console.....

Empires Top 100 Movie Characters of All Time! - VOTE NOW by clicking HERE

(in reply to directorscut)
Post #: 42
RE: PSP2 - 27/1/2011 5:05:57 PM   
Rod Hull

I like it. The design is classy, and if they can pull off the mobile gaming I can see playing the likes of an FPS online in a public place quite appealling. The dual touch screens and their positioning could also lead to some refreshing in game control methods, especially in the hands of the likes of Naughty Dog.

However, the battery will be diabolical. With great power come great power consumption so if you've got your 3G going along with a graphically intense game even four hours seems optimistic. A friend has an iPad which has a fairly beefy Li-ion battery and less intense processing power than the specs given and a one hour session on Infinity Blade depletes his battery to nigh on zilch. And that's with it running in Airplane mode.

The games are going to cost at least the same as PS3 and 360 titles. They've gone for flash memory which is more pricey than DVD, Blu-Ray or even UMD, and for developers to provide the graphical fidelty that we'll all expect on such a powerful machine they'll need a budget to match.

I can see where Sony are coming from by focusing on power, but I thought they'd have learned a few lessons from the years of excess and mistakes under Kutaragi.

Not with the pastry!

(in reply to Your Funny Uncle)
Post #: 43
RE: PSP2 - 27/1/2011 9:47:01 PM   
themightyhutch

I'm interested in the idea of cross platform play. Sometimes it isn't feasible to get onto the playstation and a portable version of the main games would give the handheld more reason to exist. It wouldn't look as good but it would be still be pretty cool.

I hadn't been interested in the idea of a 2nd PSP after mine stopped being used, but I could come round to the idea. Provided it isn't particularly expensive.

(in reply to Rod Hull)
Post #: 44
RE: PSP2 - 28/1/2011 1:32:15 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rod Hull
The dual touch screens and their positioning could also lead to some refreshing in game control methods, especially in the hands of the likes of Naughty Dog.

Have Naughty Dog actually got any games announced for the system? Uncharted isn't being developed by them.

(in reply to Rod Hull)
Post #: 45
RE: PSP2 - 28/1/2011 1:42:57 AM   
thepluginbaby

Sounds promising.  I did have a yellow PSP for the briefest of moments this year, but it was lost to the Gulf of Thailand unfortunately...  Never completed Peace Walker or God of War...

My main concern for the PSP2 is over memory.  I'm assuming it'll follow in the footsteps of the PSPgo and have a fairly large inbuilt memory. The memory cards for the PSP were expensive, which was really annoying because all I really want from a PSP is to play the old PSone games. Its great that it has PS3 lite graphics and everything but isn't it a bit lost on a small screen?  When I play a game like Uncharted or Killzone, I want to play it on a big screen TV and be immersed within the whole experience.

The 3DS is more attractive.   

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

Post #: 46
RE: PSP2 - 28/1/2011 1:49:14 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Well the depressing thing is the power could still be utilised well on a small screen if the resolution was high enough, but they've given it a gimped screen that is a lower resolution than the current iPhone 4 screen. The next iPad and iPhone are rumoured to have double the resolution that the iPhone 4 currently has, and 2 dual core processors, making them just as powerful with a decent screen to match, it could really appear that Sony have shot themselves in the foot, however the screen is one of the easiest components to replace and they could yet replace it before launch, but I doubt that seeing as games are already being made with lower resolutions in mind.

Not that it won'y look good on the screen it has mind you, but if you're going to boast about the power it has (which is impressive) then the choice if screen seems rather strange.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 28/1/2011 9:47:15 AM >

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 47
RE: PSP2 - 28/1/2011 8:55:59 AM   
Chief

Interest level is sitting about 60% for this. My DS Lite is beginning to show it's age and I fancy something new (the 3DS holds no interest for me).
Price is still going to be key though.

Post #: 48
RE: PSP2 - 28/1/2011 9:13:03 PM   
HIM

quote:

Well the depressing thing is the power could still be utilised well on a small screen if the resolution was high enough, but they've given it a gimped screen that is a lower resolution than the current iPhone 4 screen. The next iPad and iPhone are rumoured to have double the resolution that the iPhone 4 currently has, and 2 dual core processors, making them just as powerful with a decent screen to match, it could really appear that Sony have shot themselves in the foot, however the screen is one of the easiest components to replace and they could yet replace it before launch, but I doubt that seeing as games are already being made with lower resolutions in mind.

Not that it won'y look good on the screen it has mind you, but if you're going to boast about the power it has (which is impressive) then the choice if screen seems rather strange.

There's nothing wrong with the pixel density of the NGP (PSP2). I've got an OLED screen on my Desire with a resolution of 800x480 and I need a magnifying glass to see pixels. I can read very small text on it quite easily. I also had no trouble with the original PSP's pixel density either. I used to use that a lot to view web pages and it was never an issue. The NGP has four times as many pixels as the original PSP. Believe me, it won't be an issue. Upping the number of pixels will only cause an unnecessary drain on processor resources, with no discernible benefit.

[Edit] A good point made by Digital Foundry is that the NGP's resolution is the same as what both Alan Wake and Call of Duty: Black Ops run at and they look fantastic even on a 50" LCD screen. The resolution of the NGP 5" screen is not an issue at all.

< Message edited by HIM -- 28/1/2011 9:32:24 PM >

Post #: 49
RE: PSP2 - 28/1/2011 9:38:00 PM   
HIM

quote:

A battery life of just 4 hours is rumoured.

The 3DS's battery life is only 3 - 5 hours and doesn't have nearly as much power as the NGP.

Post #: 50
RE: PSP2 - 28/1/2011 10:02:57 PM   
Ell

It all sounds very impressive from where I'm standing, although it is early days. I am interested, but that interest could easily be dissolved if they were to announce an extortionate price.

Another factor that would make me lose interest would be if the titles released for it were merely identical to that of the PS3. Solid support from both in-house and third-party developers creating franchises of its own right exclusive to the NGP, not just spin-offs of previously existing successful franchises (i.e. FFVII: Crisis Core, GoW: Chains of Olympus, Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep, MGS: Peace Walker).

I guess a decent battery life wouldn't go amiss either.

Looks like it'll need to have plenty of space for those downloads too: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-28-sony-asks-psp-devs-for-download-titles

"I'D BUY THAT FOR A DOLLAR!!!"

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 51
RE: PSP2 - 31/1/2011 1:20:41 PM   
Scabby

Thought I'd amuse myself by coming in here and check out SHP's cynical whinging.

I think the NGP looks rather splendid but will totally come down to the price factor. It's in direct competition with the 3DS, so it's doubtful it'll be a huge price difference (I've heard between £170-£220). I'm not sure what's not to love about this? You moan that they're no investing any money on new IPs for a console like this but you have to think what sells and previous attempts have hardly been massive successes. But then, look at the PSP's IPs and how great they were, like Patapon and Locoroco.

Sometimes writes here, sometimes writes there.

(in reply to Ell)
Post #: 52
RE: PSP2 - 31/1/2011 1:23:59 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Look how games flopped and it lost third party support years ago because the only games being released were PS2 ports and everyone already had them on PS2. So no, recognised names don't always sell.

If you reckon it's anywhere below £249.99 then I think you've been sniffing glue and marker pens.

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 53
RE: PSP2 - 31/1/2011 1:27:16 PM   
Scabby

Is this like that time you told me when Portal 2 was announced that it would never get released on the PS3?...

Post #: 54
RE: PSP2 - 31/1/2011 1:35:12 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scabby

Is this like that time you told me when Portal 2 was announced that it would never get released on the PS3?...

We'll see then, but if you think tech like that comes that cheap, and when put up against the 3DS which is £229.99, then they'll be making massive losses (which they'll make no matter the selling price) and losing their image.

I honestly don't see them undercutting £249.99. Just look at the PSP Go launch price, or the PS3 price which is still in need of a price cut. Sony aim at premium prices to give their products a more elusive identity, this is something your, I mean Sony's head of USA said when quizzed about PS3 pricing.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 31/1/2011 1:36:11 PM >

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 55
RE: PSP2 - 31/1/2011 2:01:18 PM   
Scabby

quote:

quote:

We'll see then, but if you think tech like that comes that cheap, and when put up against the 3DS which is £229.99, then they'll be making massive losses (which they'll make no matter the selling price) and losing their image.

I honestly don't see them undercutting £249.99. Just look at the PSP Go launch price, or the PS3 price which is still in need of a price cut. Sony aim at premium prices to give their products a more elusive identity, this is something your, I mean Sony's head of USA said when quizzed about PS3 pricing.

Well, you can pre-order the 3DS from some retailers for less than £200.

While I think the NGS will retail for slightly more, I reckon it'll come in under £250. Probably £250 rrp with some places selling it for around £220. Frankly, I think Sony would be pretty bonkers to sell it in the EU for any more, considering the sales of the PSP failed to show any longevity. Plus, there's no doubt they're taking the 3DS head-on - much like Move is competing with the Wii - so they'll clearly have a strategy in mind when it comes to appealing to that demographic and the price is one of the major factors in that.

In honesty, I think they're both too expensive for a handheld console. My parents would never get me one if I were still a wee nipper.

And I wish I worked for Sony, if that's what you were insinuating

Post #: 56
RE: PSP2 - 31/1/2011 2:04:16 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

Well of course some places will sell for less, but they'll be taking the hit personally in hope to make up that margin with overwhelming accessory and software sales. RRP is the price Sony set at the end of the day and the one you have to go off and most retailers will use.

I agree 3DS is way overpriced, but there's no way the PSP2 won't be massively overpriced also (for it's market, not for the tech that's inside).

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 57
RE: PSP2 - 31/1/2011 2:18:18 PM   
Scabby

Well, my bet is £229 RRP.

Post #: 58
RE: PSP2 - 31/1/2011 2:20:27 PM   
SWOTBM

quote:

(in reply to Scabby)
Post #: 59
RE: PSP2 - 31/1/2011 10:47:01 PM   
HIM

You're forgetting something the NGP has that the 3DS doesn't - 3G connectivity. This means that places like The Carphone Warehouse can sell them one a subsidised contract - say £200 plus £20 per month data allowance, just like what Apple and Samsung do with the iPad and Galaxy Tab respectively. There's also strong rumours that Sony will also being releasing a Wi-Fi only version, which will be cheaper than a 3G enabled NGP at retail.

(in reply to SWOTBM)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> RE: PSP2 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI