Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Official PlayStation Vita Thread

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> The Official PlayStation Vita Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 12/1/2011 6:10:58 PM   
HIM

According to reports and rumours the PSP2 will be officially unveiled at a Tokyo press event on 27th January and will be released later this year:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-12-psp2-set-for-27th-jan-announcement-report

I think Sony have done well (this time) to keep a lid on hardware leaks, especially considering the - still unannounced - PlayStation Phone has had more leaks than the Titanic. Everyone knows it'll have touch sensitive controls and be roughly equivalent in power to early PS3 games, but no one's seen anything yet.

< Message edited by HIM -- 2/2/2012 7:15:50 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: PSP2 - 12/1/2011 8:02:19 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

LOL.

Ole Gunnar Solskj�r - 1996-2007

Member of the MW2 Star 69 Club
Member of the CoD4 Mile High Club

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 2
RE: PSP2 - 12/1/2011 8:05:39 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sexual Harassment Panda

LOL.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Sexual Harassment Panda)
Post #: 3
RE: PSP2 - 13/1/2011 12:45:40 PM   
Sleazy

cant see it catching on, I think the handheld has had its day.

If Iphone had decent controls there's really be no need at all!

Gamertag: Sleazycome

PSN ID: Sleazytoon

(in reply to juanvasquez)
Post #: 4
RE: PSP2 - 13/1/2011 1:32:07 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sleazy

cant see it catching on, I think the handheld has had its day.

If Iphone had decent controls there's really be no need at all!

Even with the controls as they are, since getting my iPod Touch I probably play on that & my Android phone more than I play on my DS and infinitely more than I played on my PSP when I had it.  The games are just so cheap and often very addictive!  Still love the DS though - that stays.

It'll be interesting to see what the new PSP looks like but after buying, selling and hardly playing on the original I'd never buy another one.  SHP, I think you made the point in the DS thread that a lot of people play handhelds in the home - I think one of my issues with the PSP was that if it's just mainly PS2 games in handheld, I might as well just play them on a PS2 and avoid contorting my hands into withered claws!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Sleazy)
Post #: 5
RE: PSP2 - 13/1/2011 1:52:40 PM   
HIM

I was disappointed with the PSP. A lack of second analogue stick killed it for me. It just made all those PS2 ports or sequels/spin-offs to PS2 games unplayable. Metal Gear Solid being a prime example. But, the PSP has sold 62m units worldwide and is often the biggest selling console in Japan each month. Aside from the PS2, the PSP has sold more than the rest of the last generation of home console combined (the original Xbox (24m), the GameCube (21m) and Dreamcast (10m) total sales are 55m, still 7m behind the PSP on its own). So there's definitely a market for it, even if it isn't in the UK or US. It certainly didn't fail or flop as many people like to claim, it was just burdened with the expectations that the PlayStation brand had at that time.

Also, Nath, in the 'Nostra-game-ous' thread you were decrying that lack of horsepower in this generation, saying that Microsoft and Sony should be bringing out new consoles pronto. You've also been a strong naysayer of Sony's implementation of 3D in the past. Yet when it comes to handhelds you're lauding the 3DS, even though it's built from inexpensive, off-the-shelf components but are writing the PSP2 off despite it being much more powerful than the 3DS.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 6
RE: PSP2 - 13/1/2011 2:26:33 PM   
kata

quote:

ORIGINAL: HIM

I was disappointed with the PSP. A lack of second analogue stick killed it for me. It just made all those PS2 ports or sequels/spin-offs to PS2 games unplayable. Metal Gear Solid being a prime example.

Peace Walker was unbelievable quality.  Much too good for the PSP imo.  One of my favourite games of last year. 
Far, FAR from unplayable.  Haven't tried any other Metal gears on PSP though.

XBL: GeneralLee79
PSN: GeneralLee_UK
Steam: GeneralLee_uk

Lovely detective work.

"Don't buy wigs that come off at the wrong time"

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 7
RE: PSP2 - 13/1/2011 3:31:29 PM   
HIM

Yeah Peace Walker was alright, but I still didn't feel comfortable with the controls. Portable Ops was the one I was referring to though. I was looking forward to a proper MGS game on PSP after the disappointing Metal Gear Ac!d, but Portable Ops was just too frustrating to control.

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 8
RE: PSP2 - 13/1/2011 4:22:06 PM   
sroey

quote:

I was disappointed with the PSP. A lack of second analogue stick killed it for me. It just made all those PS2 ports or sequels/spin-offs to PS2 games unplayable. Metal Gear Solid being a prime example. But, the PSP has sold 62m units worldwide and is often the biggest selling console in Japan each month. Aside from the PS2, the PSP has sold more than the rest of the last generation of home console combined (the original Xbox (24m), the GameCube (21m) and Dreamcast (10m) total sales are 55m, still 7m behind the PSP on its own). So there's definitely a market for it, even if it isn't in the UK or US. It certainly didn't fail or flop as many people like to claim, it was just burdened with the expectations that the PlayStation brand had at that time.

Also, Nath, in the 'Nostra-game-ous' thread you were decrying that lack of horsepower in this generation, saying that Microsoft and Sony should be bringing out new consoles pronto. You've also been a strong naysayer of Sony's implementation of 3D in the past. Yet when it comes to handhelds you're lauding the 3DS, even though it's built from inexpensive, off-the-shelf components but are writing the PSP2 off despite it being much more powerful than the 3DS.

I just dont see this as being that huge in the UK - I hope it does well - much like all of the consoles and handhelds out there but with Sony bragging about how powerful this thing is just makes me think that it will be priced through the roof at first.

I think people would be more interested in the Playstation Phone wouldnt they?

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 9
RE: PSP2 - 13/1/2011 4:55:22 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

In the 'Nostra-game-ous' thread you were decrying that lack of horsepower in this generation, saying that Microsoft and Sony should be bringing out new consoles pronto. You've also been a strong naysayer of Sony's implementation of 3D in the past. Yet when it comes to handhelds you're lauding the 3DS, even though it's built from inexpensive, off-the-shelf components but are writing the PSP2 off despite it being much more powerful than the 3DS.

There's a whole world of difference between handheld and home console though, and that's where the differentiation between my opinion on both comes in.

A handheld despite being portable is mainly if not entirely used in the home, so I'm going to need a big pull factor to get me to sit there getting cramp in my hands and a bad neck from looking down at the screen to opt for a handheld over a home console.

The 3DS offers a simple and affordable (hopefully) entrance price to 3D gaming, and like the other 18m DS offerings before it, offers dual screens, one of which is touch screen for a more innovative approach, that I won't get with my TV.

Horsepower is something that IMO improves games, but as the PSP proved with it's mountains of ported games, why would I opt for a PSP equivalent of the same game I could get on my PS2. And if rumours are to be believed, PSP2 over PS3? There's no sense.

Other than the odd title (Zelda OoT 3D), I also don't want fully fledged throw yourself in for hours games on a handheld for the comfort reasons I mentioned earlier, I want pick up and play, short burst games.

The target is aimed at PS3 games which you can apparently copy your save onto the PSP2 and continue on the move, but that's not something I'd want to do, it'd be less enjoyable, and as I said, 95% of people don't play their handhelds outside of the house anyway.

PSP2 is aiming at a non existing Market (outside of Japan and even then it's far smaller than the DS Market). Sony would be better off targeting the iPhone style audience with the PSP phone and leaving it at that.

And for the record, I have no problems with Sony using 3D on the PS3, I'll be giving it a go when I get my own 3D TV in May/June, my problem is that the PS3 (and Xbox) aren't powerful enough for proper smooth 60fps 1080p 3D and Sony's approach seemed more about selling TVs than furthering games.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 10
RE: PSP2 - 13/1/2011 5:24:07 PM   
kata

You guys are forgetting one big bonus the 3DS has.  3D movies, thats the one thing that has me more interested in the 3DS than the PSP2. Although I doubt I'll get either until they are cheap.

Lovely detective work.

Post #: 11
RE: PSP2 - 13/1/2011 5:26:24 PM   
kata

quote:

And for the record, I have no problems with Sony using 3D on the PS3, I'll be giving it a go when I get my own 3D TV in May/June, my problem is that the PS3 (and Xbox) aren't powerful enough for proper smooth 60fps 1080p 3D and Sony's approach seemed more about selling TVs than furthering games.

For the most part they cant even do 60fps 1080p without 3D atm....

Lovely detective work.

Post #: 12
RE: PSP2 - 13/1/2011 10:43:03 PM   
HIM

quote:

A handheld despite being portable is mainly if not entirely used in the home...

...and as I said, 95% of people don't play their handhelds outside of the house anyway.

What are you basing these claims on? Anecdotal evidence? Commuters use the PSP outside the home. If you're on a bus or train for two hours a day a PSP is very handy. I've taken mine on holiday a few times too.

Post #: 13
RE: PSP2 - 13/1/2011 10:52:41 PM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

quote:

...and as I said, 95% of people don't play their handhelds outside of the house anyway.

What are you basing these claims on? Anecdotal evidence? Commuters use the PSP outside the home. If you're on a bus or train for two hours a day a PSP is very handy. I've taken mine on holiday a few times too.

1. Personal experience.
2. That of friends and family.
3. The fact I've rarely ever seen a handheld console on a plane or train, I could list the number of times I've seen it on one hand. And no it wasn't a PSP, it was a DS Lite.
4. The fact I used to work in GAME selling these things to people and a lot of the time it came up in conversation e.g. "I just need a case to store it in, not a flip and play one, because it'll never leave the house anyway."

Are you honestly arguing that most people use them on the go? Does your love for your employers know no bounds?

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 14
RE: PSP2 - 13/1/2011 11:29:29 PM   
HIM

quote:

quote:

quote:

1. Personal experience.
3. The fact I've rarely ever seen a handheld console on a plane or train, I could list the number of times I've seen it on one hand. And no it wasn't a PSP, it was a DS Lite.
4. The fact I used to work in GAME selling these things to people and a lot of the time it came up in conversation e.g. "I just need a case to store it in, not a flip and play one, because it'll never leave the house anyway."

So anecdotal evidence then.

Post #: 15
RE: PSP2 - 13/1/2011 11:38:36 PM   
Rod Hull

First of all, I'm a bit disappointed that this thread isn't titled "PSP2 AKA The Best Handheld Ever!!!!" but hey ho.

Anywho, if it is as powerful as folks are hoping, bit concerned about both cost and battery life. What's more, to make use of that power I'm presuming that games are going to have to be on a physical device such as (shudder) UMD as an SSD of sufficient size to store more than two or three games will be rather expensive. Won't write it off until they release specs and games and such though, just hope the launch will at least have one quality game, unlike the ultra shoddy PS2 and PS3 launch games.

Not with the pastry!

Post #: 16
RE: PSP2 - 14/1/2011 8:18:35 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

1. Personal experience.

So anecdotal evidence then.

As opposed to absolutely no evidence you have of them being used more on the go?

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 17
RE: PSP2 - 14/1/2011 10:38:34 AM   
HIM

Yeah but you said "95% of people don't play their handhelds outside of the house". I was asking where this figure came from. It's quite specific.

Post #: 18
RE: PSP2 - 15/1/2011 1:15:51 PM   
Super Hans

I think it depend where you live as to whether you see many handhelds being played on the go - I've lived in London for nearly 4 years now and I've seen enough people using them on the tubes/trains. With my family in Derby and my in-laws in Bedfordshire, I also use trains/coaches a fair bit for visiting them and DS's & PSP's aren't an uncommon sight (or sound sadly, as many parents don't think their children need earphones with them). I think iPhones/iPod touches are probably becoming the more common alternative though - mulit purpose devices and all! My DS definately goes with me on my travels though.

I would imagine in places where less people have to use public transport, handhelds aren't see as often on the go though.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 19
RE: PSP2 - 15/1/2011 1:19:18 PM   
Hood_Man

I see handhelds in waiting rooms/buses/trains etc all the time.

*runs away before getting embroiled in something*

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 20
RE: PSP2 - 15/1/2011 1:29:51 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Same here and I use mine pretty much exclusively in the car or on long journeys. I've never sat down to play it for more than about 10 minutes in the house.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 21
RE: PSP2 - 15/1/2011 1:33:52 PM   
juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

Same here and I use mine pretty much exclusively in the car or on long journeys. I've never sat down to play it for more than about 10 minutes in the house.

Wish I could use mine in the car. May be a bit dangerous though.

Check out my cult games reviews and features at Horror Cult Films

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 22
RE: PSP2 - 15/1/2011 1:41:18 PM   
HIM

Yeah that's my issue too. If I'm going on long journeys I drive (in fact, I drive everywhere). 

Post #: 23
RE: PSP2 - 15/1/2011 2:17:00 PM   
Harry Tuttle

quote:

ORIGINAL: juanvasquez

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harry Tuttle

quote:

Wish I could use mine in the car. May be a bit dangerous though.

I absolutely loathe driving, so I don't do it. Ever.

Acting...Naturaaal

Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!

Blood Island. So called because it's the exact shape of some blood

Post #: 24
RE: PSP2 - 23/1/2011 8:36:25 PM   
HIM

PSP2 rumoured to have an OLED touchscreen and 3G cellular data.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/23/nikkei-psp2-to-have-3g-cellular-data-oled-touchscreen/

(in reply to Harry Tuttle)
Post #: 25
RE: PSP2 - 26/1/2011 7:11:31 PM   
HIM

It's being announced at 6am UK time tomorrow morning:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-26-playstation-meeting-psp2-announcement

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 26
RE: PSP2 - 27/1/2011 10:23:50 AM   
kata

Was announced and looks very nice.  Price is gonna make or break it i think.

Hardware Specs
CPU: ARM Corte-A9 core (4 core)
GPU:
SGX543MP4+
External Dimensions:
Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
Screen:
(Touch screen) 5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED Multi touch screen (capacitive type)
Rear touch pad: Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
Cameras: Front camera, Rear camera
Sound: Built-in stereo speakers, built-in microphone
Sensors:
Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer) Three-axis electronic compass Location Built-in GPS Wi-Fi location service support
Keys/Switches:
PS button Power button Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left) Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square) Shoulder buttons (Right/Left) Right stick, Left stick START button, SELECT button Volume buttons (+/-)
Wireless Communications:
Mobile network connectivity (3G) IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1x1) (Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode) Bluetooth 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/114/1146358p1.html

< Message edited by kata -- 27/1/2011 10:27:35 AM >

Lovely detective work.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 27
RE: PSP2 - 27/1/2011 10:29:44 AM   
Sexual Harassment Panda

What are you doing!? The idea was only HIM was supposed to post in these threads and make himself look like the only fanboy who cared.

Personally I think looks horrible, far too big and reminds me too much of the days where a portable console looked like a Game Gear, also the screen resolution seems a little tame considering it's a "Next Gen Portable"

A battery life of just 4 hours is rumoured. I'll see how this thing pans out and if any games grab me, but so far it's the same as the PSP, just re releases of the same games I can already buy for my home consoles, Uncharted, Lost Planet 2 etc etc.

< Message edited by Sexual Harassment Panda -- 27/1/2011 10:31:22 AM >

(in reply to kata)
Post #: 28
RE: PSP2 - 27/1/2011 10:30:38 AM   
Chief

Looks good. I could be tempted but, as most have said, price will be a major factor. I can't see myself paying more than 150.00 for a handheld.

(in reply to HIM)
Post #: 29
RE: PSP2 - 27/1/2011 11:23:02 AM   
SWOTBM

Definitely has a lot going for it; good first party game support, very pretty graphics, what looks like cross-system trophy compatibility.  Although no mention of price or battery life; I might consider paying 200-250 for a bundle.  But I need to see more details and hands on footage first. 

PSN: light_brigade
Gamertag: chauders

(in reply to Chief)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Joypad >> The Official PlayStation Vita Thread Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI