Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

The Green Hornet

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Green Hornet Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Green Hornet - 12/1/2011 7:17:32 AM   
Empire Admin

Post your comments on this article
Post #: 1
RE: Can no one understand the notion of opinions? - 12/1/2011 4:58:10 PM   
jimi junior

quote:

ORIGINAL: crazymoviesdude

It takes more critical integrity to own up to the fact you disagree than to just go along with everyone else so you don't get lambasted in the forums.

Whilst I agree with your broader point, there are critics who deliberately go against the grain just to stand out and make a point. The high-brow equivalent of 'look at me, I'm alternative' playground rhetoric, and it makes for fairly useless reviewing, as far as the readership is concerned.

However i'll admit I'm not familiar enough with this particular reviewer to call such a judgement.

Post #: 2
RE: - 12/1/2011 6:02:09 PM   
elab49

If you wish to generally discuss criticism and rating of films, I'd suggest you try the Empire Online subforum - there is there, eg, a longish thread arguing about the star rating of films.

This thread is for discussion of the film The Green Hornet. If you haven't seen it, then perhaps the relevant Future Films thread might also be of use.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome
Post #: 3
RE: Hmmmm - 12/1/2011 6:02:43 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: marxeffect

So strange when most of the respected American critics (Aint it Cool News etc) are saying that this is a great movie. I realise people have different tastes but 2 stars?

Seriously? You honestly respect AICN?

< Message edited by adambatman82 -- 12/1/2011 6:03:08 PM >
Post #: 4
RE: Hmmmm - 12/1/2011 9:17:10 PM   
sanchia

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: marxeffect

So strange when most of the respected American critics (Aint it Cool News etc) are saying that this is a great movie. I realise people have different tastes but 2 stars?

Seriously? You honestly respect AICN?

I was about to type the same thing. I didn't think anyone respected Harry and his minions awful, awful review style.

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 5
RE: Hmmmm - 13/1/2011 12:20:09 PM   
Fit Kisto

Its a shame that Green Hornet doesn't seem to be released in the non-3D format in the UK. With the mixed reviews it doesn't look worth paying the jacked up 3D prices to check out.

There is no Swamp Ape. It was invented for people who can't find the actual world fascinating. Y'know?

(in reply to sanchia)
Post #: 6
RE: - 13/1/2011 3:49:47 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Wanted to see this but won't as it's only showing in 3d at my world of cine & all others near by & I aint coffin up to watch dodgy 3d add on crap NO MORE!
Post #: 7
RE: The Green Hornet - 15/1/2011 11:35:15 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

[image]http://www.electronicbeats.net/var/eb/storage/images/news/lifestyle/the-green-hornet-michel-gondry-s-new-film/119707-1-eng-GB/The-Green-Hornet-Michel-Gondry-s-new-film_header_image.jpg[/image]
The Green Hornet (2011) is one of those flicks that you can't quite put your finger on why you enjoy it so much. For one, there is little or no plot involved. The film sort of ambles along at it's own pace and does enough with a few ingenious effects, ideas and cheap gags to keep the viewer interested. It's like the ultra bright kid that decides to complete his thesis two hours before it's due to be handed in and succeeds in handing in an inspired mess. But I'll take a mess with inspired moments over a Tron Legacy any day.
The story involves Britt Reid (Seth Rogan) taking over his father's (Tom Wilkinson) newapaper empire after his untimely and dubious death. After a drinking session with his late father's mechanic and coffee maker, Kato (John Chow) both parties discover that they have a common goal - to fight crime.
The rest of the movie's running time involves Britt (The Green Hornet) trying to outshine his physically and mentally superior sidekick, Kato. Strangely identity and self image seems to play a big part throughout the project. Britt wants to be seen as the hero but is overshadowed by Kato. Kato wants to be treated as an equal by his ally and constructs all sort of elaborate weapons to win his respect. Even the villain, Chudnofsky (an underused Christoph Waltz) frets over how other people perceive him. and his ability to strike fear into the criminal world.
[image]http://img.xcitefun.net/users/2010/06/187377,xcitefun-the-green-hornet-stills-1.jpg[/image]
Although not all the jokes hit home, there are a few belly laughs. My particular favourites being a malfunctioning gift that Kato gives Brett and a slapstick lover's tiff between the couple.
The final third is a blast with enough carnage to have the beer movie crowd satisfied. I had no choice but to watch this in 3D and I really wish they would give this tedious novelty and the cinemagoer's wallet a rest with a technology that is going nowhere fast.
7/10

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish
Post #: 8
RE: - 16/1/2011 7:42:45 PM   
nhassell

Suprisingly, I am going to agree with Empire. It was pretty rubbish. Jay Chou was useless (he could hardly speak English, I couldn't understand him), and action and plot were absolutely stupid (especially that horrific third act). Its only saving grace was that is was fairly funny.

This Is The End - ***
Man Of Steel - ***
The Great Gatsby - ***
Iron Man 3 - ***
Evil Dead - ***
Post #: 9
RE: RE: - 16/1/2011 9:37:06 PM   
thejamesf

Don't u hate it when its "3D" but its useless "3D" just because they want to add some more money they just add a "3D" effect to make it sound so "Yikes" We should boycot all 3D movies untill movies become accpet able.  I want to see this movie but I won't if its not real 3D.  To me 3D is just a market grabber.

(in reply to nhassell)
Post #: 10
RE: Not bad - 17/1/2011 11:22:20 AM   
kingoftheducks

I thought it was surprisingly enjoyable (if nothing special), though I agree the 3D conversion was a waste of time and the film works fine without it, it's just a shame there aren't going to be many screenings in 2D and some audience members may come away feeling cheated...

< Message edited by elab49 -- 24/6/2011 11:53:46 AM >

Read my Cinema Diary here:
http://www.theargus.co.uk/opinion/blogs/brighton_film_blogs/profile/34700/

Watch films I've made here:
http://www.youtube.com/kingoftheducks

Buy My Novel PSYWORM at www.firsttimepublishers.com PLEASE!
Post #: 11
RE: - 17/1/2011 12:47:23 PM   
DAVID GILLESPIE

quote:

ORIGINAL: clarkkent

This review is about THE FILM, not the 3D or the director or the writers or what it should be because of what i just mentioned, but the film, something everyone seems to have not bothered with here.

Erm? I just did?

Cludge Judge * Cold Fish
Post #: 12
RE: The Green Hornet - 19/1/2011 8:01:51 PM   
captainrentboy

I saw this in Imax 3D last night and really enjoyed it. The 3D isn't the best I've seen (it's no exageration to say that the end credits have the best use of 3D in the entire movie) generally being used quite sparingly, mostly in the action scenes and explosions, but at the same time it's one of the only 3D films I've watched with absolutely zero ghosting. So I guess it has that going for it at least.
Seth Rogen is Seth Rogen, if you don't particularly like him in his other films, you aren't going to like him in this, or probably enjoy the movie that much, as he mugs the screen a lot! Chou was very good, better than I expected. His fight scenes weren't overly challanging, as he was clearly being backed up by a lot of CG/Wire work (Some clueless reviewers stating he's up there with Bruce Lee have made me laugh) but his chemistry with Rogen was great and his broken English made him strangely charming. Sadly Waltz was my personal let down, he just seemed to be channeling his I-B character again and didn't bring that many laughs.
Other than that I'd say it's equal parts an comedy/action flick. The action scenes were above average, being well shot, in that you could tell what was actually going on and who was hitting who. The last 20 mins or so were a particular highlight of mine, with a cool lengthy car chase thrown in amongst the random fisticuffs. Ohh and the 'Kato Vision' stuff was inventive and looked great too, I could've done with another longer scene of it being used.
Overall I'd give it a 7/10. Which is faaar better than I thought it would be.

Kudos for the 'Break Up' fight between Kato and Britt too. A lot more entertaining than the one in Iron Man 2.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 13
RE: The Green Hornet - 19/1/2011 11:57:22 PM   
scary_ice

I found this very enjoyable. I like Rogen generally but I can see why some people might find him irritating. I think that's the point though, with this character - he's the loudmouth obnoxious spoilt rich kid who is jealous of his super-sidekick.
I thought there were a lot of funny moments and I'd agree with captainrentboy about the "break up fight" - it was great. The action sequences were inventive and exciting even if Kato's super-speed was a bit too OTT. You do have to suspend some disbelief here but as someone else has said it's almost like it's a riposte to all those super-serious vigilante movies like Nolan's Batman movies. It's just old-fashioned fun like a Saturday morning serial!

I don't get people complaining about Gondry not doing enough with it. If he had gone full-on with his flights of fancy it would not have suited the movie at all. He got some touches in here and there (that split-screen shot is amazing) but this was him showing he could do a more straightforward movie than usual.
The 3D doesn't add much but I've heard some people who know more about technical stuff than I say that the conversion is very impressive. It's more about depth of field than things comin' at ya though.

So yeah I'd definitely give it 3 or 3 and a half stars. I think this was better than Iron Man 2 and waaaay better than the boring Tron Legacy

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 14
RE: The Green Hornet - 20/1/2011 9:43:20 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Oh dear judging by the UK box-office take £1.8 million i'm thinking having it shown in 3d only rather the 2d also as advertised was a tiny bit of a mistake, I mean Toy Story3 & even Avatar did & it didn't hurt there bank balances did it?

(in reply to scary_ice)
Post #: 15
RE: The Green Hornet - 20/1/2011 3:03:47 PM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wild about Wilder

Oh dear judging by the UK box-office take £1.8 million i'm thinking having it shown in 3d only rather the 2d also as advertised was a tiny bit of a mistake, I mean Toy Story3 & even Avatar did & it didn't hurt there bank balances did it?

£1.8 million is good. Much better than I expected this to do, considering that The King's Speech is out there, wreaking box office havoc!

(in reply to Wild about Wilder)
Post #: 16
RE: The Green Hornet - 21/1/2011 1:08:18 PM   
greyan

Well... you guys has been done most long long discussion about this movie. I'm just watching its TV show, which is very nice. I have read its plot and it is quite interesting. I will definitely watch this movie.

Post #: 17
RE: The Green Hornet - 21/1/2011 2:25:00 PM   
Wild about Wilder

But when you add over £2 a ticket to see it as a 3d movie & the fact it was showing in far more screens has it done really that well?

Post #: 18
RE: The Green Hornet - 21/1/2011 4:13:16 PM   
paulyboy

Amusing and charming with some half-decent set pieces. It's a little overlong perhaps but a thoroughly likeable little caper otherwise.

The 3D whilst nicely converted was completely unnecessary however and added nothing to the film aside from £2 on the ticket price. If you have the option to see this in 2D (I didn't) then I'd opt for that version.

3/5

"Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever!"
Post #: 19
RE: The Green Hornet - 23/1/2011 9:03:11 PM   
Timon

I honest can't think of a time I have seen an actress more under-used, more shoe-ed into a film and more redundant than Cameron DIaz in this film.

On the other hand, it was a very entertaining bromance that entertained me for a couple of hours and didn't outstay its welcome.

3/5

"I put no stock in religion. By the word 'religion', I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called 'The Will of God'. Holiness is in right action and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves."

Twitter: @timonsingh

(in reply to paulyboy)
Post #: 20
Green Hornet - 30/1/2011 12:39:14 PM   
trueborndjross

2 stars Empire? Shame on you. I almost didn't go to see this based on the poor review but I'm glad I did. The Green Hornet is perfect Saturday night popcorn entertainment. It puts a different spin on the superhero genre and maintains the fun factor throughout. Yes Rogen does get a little bit annoying over time but mostly he's pretty funny especially when sparring with Chou's Kato (not physically although that parts pretty cool as well). Some pretty cool action sequences with Kato easily stealing the limelight. The 3D is pretty much a waste of time but then most 3D films are so I just expect to be disappointed with it now (Avatar still the only worthwhile 3D experience in my opinion).

Post #: 21
have a sense of fun guy - 30/1/2011 8:38:04 PM   
jeffamania

true 3D choice and Cameron Diaz were redundant!! However its a fun movie that deserves a minimum of 4 stars....go see this and have some fun!!! only issue is that the jokes are obvious although well executed!

Post #: 22
Brilliant! - 31/1/2011 1:45:04 PM   
IainMI

Whilst not exactly cineman genius this is the most fun I've had at the movies in a long time. Don't be put off by the miserable 2 star rating (the poor guy must have been having a bad day). A minimum 3 stars, possibly 4 is surely deserved (hence my own mark for the underdog). Go! See! Enjoy!

Post #: 23
Brilliant! - 31/1/2011 1:45:06 PM   
IainMI

Whilst not exactly cineman genius this is the most fun I've had at the movies in a long time. Don't be put off by the miserable 2 star rating (the poor guy must have been having a bad day). A minimum 3 stars, possibly 4 is surely deserved (hence my own mark for the underdog). Go! See! Enjoy!

Post #: 24
RE: The Green Hornet - 31/1/2011 2:39:30 PM   
R W

Director: Michel Gondry
Screenwriters: Seth Rogen, Evan Goldberg
Starring: Seth Rogen, Jay Chou, Cameron Diaz, Tom Wilkinson, Christoph Waltz

Synopsis
Following the death of his father (Wilkinson), Britt Reid (Rogen) who is the heir to his father's media empire, teams up with his late dad's assistant Kato (Chou) to become a masked crime fighting team.

Review
Last year, came the release of Matthew Vaughn’s Kick-Ass (No. 5 in my top films of 2010), which was essentially a postmodern take on the comic book movie, in which the geek puts on a costume and fight city crime, without any superpowers and with unfortunate results. Well, we get a similar premise in the latest superhero offering, except this guy wears green, accompanied with a cool sidekick and rides in a beautiful car.

Born out of the 1930s radio program by George W. Trendle and Fran Striker, the Green Hornet and his trustee sidekick Kato have had a long and interesting history, in which they have appeared in various medias such as comics and the cult favourite that is the 60s television series starring the late great Bruce Lee. Following the many attempts of bringing the two heroes to the big screen, we finally see the Green Hornet, but in the hands of Seth Rogen (from the Judd Apatow subgenre) and the director of Eternal Sunshine (my… you know).

Following his dysfunctional family documentary The Thorn in the Heart (small art-house release), Michel Gondry makes his first big mainstream film: an action comedy about a superhero duo which is not as popular as Batman or Superman. One might say that this is a bizarre choice for Gondry, although calling any of his work bizarre isn’t anything new, but casting Rogen in the titular role caused a lot of backlash.

However, you not gonna get Batman and Robin, but you’re not going to get Kick-Ass either. On the basis of the script (co-written by Rogen), the postmodernism within the film is not as edgy as it thinks it is, because the tone doesn’t have the surreal element like Kick-Ass has. Also, as an action piece, the film rambles on and doesn’t explore themes of crime and corruption, and so the oddball villain (played by Christoph Waltz) is left dangling, despite a terrific beginning featuring a cameo from James Franco.

On the plus side, the film works as a buddy comedy as all the best and funniest moments are the scenes between Britt Reid and his coffee-making assistant. Although Seth Rogen may have a comedic shoulder and indeed has his funny moments in this, Jay Chou is the star of The Green Hornet. He may not have mastered the English language, but Kato’s attempt at being cool and hip is laugh-out loud funny, while his chemistry with Rogen is top-notch.

Aside from being a film that works more towards comedy than action in terms of its narrative, Michael Gondry has done some well-crafted sequences that go boom-bang. His distinctive visual style will seem off-kilter to a mainstream audience, but a relentless action sequence involving the iconic Black Beauty car will get their intention. Converting the film into 3D is an injustice because it makes Gondry’s direction somewhat flawed, but if Monsieur Gondry makes a film shot in 3D, that would be something.

Verdict
All in all, Gondry’s Green Hornet is an uneven, but entertaining flick that works more as a comedy than as an action piece. Rogen may be funny, but Jay Chou is the one everyone will remember.  

Post #: 25
RE: The Green Hornet - 2/2/2011 11:08:53 AM   
undisputed3

cool, action over comedy packed movie.

(in reply to R W)
Post #: 26
RE: Should Be Kato Not The Green Hornet! - 2/2/2011 1:55:33 PM   
Cruisecontroller

The Green Hornet should be called Kato because he is the main hero in this movie. Kato makes all the gadgets and is the martial arts experts whereas Seth Rogans Britt Reid has little in the way of fighting skills, has no super powers and is occassionally funny but mostly quite annoying with his tactless sexual advances to Cameron Diaz underused characher. Honestly apart from coming up with the idea of The Green Hornet and some ejector seats for their famous car he really is one of the most useless super heroes I`ve seen on screen Kato does almost all the work. I haven`t read the graphic novels or seen the television series so I don`t know if The Green Hornet was supposed to be like this but I wasn`t impressed with the character itself. Christopher Weiz baddie drug lord is really good in fact the film overall is funny with some good action pieces especially the bonkers car chase at the end and I had no problem with the 3D conversion but maybe they should have given film goers a 2D option which wouldn`t have hurt ticket sales in fact it probably would have helped them. Some film studios lately just want the most expensive charged format to get the biggest box office but that doesn`t always work.

Overall a good movie I was just disappointed with Britt Reids Green Hornet but worth seeing on the big screen. I`m not sure if I`ll bother getting the blu ray though. 3/5.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

Post #: 27
RE: Should Be Kato Not The Green Hornet! - 2/2/2011 3:59:18 PM   
Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller

The Green Hornet should be called Kato because he is the main hero in this movie. Kato makes all the gadgets and is the martial arts experts whereas Seth Rogans Britt Reid has little in the way of fighting skills, has no super powers and is occassionally funny but mostly quite annoying with his tactless sexual advances to Cameron Diaz underused characher. Honestly apart from coming up with the idea of The Green Hornet and some ejector seats for their famous car he really is one of the most useless super heroes I`ve seen on screen Kato does almost all the work.

That's the joke.

Extended Edition Podcast- Episode 46:Threads Of Destiny (Star Wars Fan Film)

(in reply to Cruisecontroller)
Post #: 28
- 4/2/2011 11:40:11 PM   
reminn

Good.

Post #: 29
RE: Should Be Kato Not The Green Hornet! - 7/2/2011 1:53:10 PM   
Cruisecontroller

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shifty Bench

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cruisecontroller

The Green Hornet should be called Kato because he is the main hero in this movie. Kato makes all the gadgets and is the martial arts experts whereas Seth Rogans Britt Reid has little in the way of fighting skills, has no super powers and is occassionally funny but mostly quite annoying with his tactless sexual advances to Cameron Diaz underused characher. Honestly apart from coming up with the idea of The Green Hornet and some ejector seats for their famous car he really is one of the most useless super heroes I`ve seen on screen Kato does almost all the work.

That's the joke.

I suspected it might be.

MyDVDCollection.http://www.empireonline.com/myempire/mydvdcollection.asp?UID=49319b

Last five movies seen & rated by me.

1.12 Years A Slave. 4/5
2.Robocop. (1987) 3/5
3.Devils Due.3/5
4.American Hustle. 4/5
5.Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. 3/5

(in reply to Shifty Bench)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> The Green Hornet Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI