Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011?

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? - 18/7/2011 12:49:28 PM   
gazpop

Ok, this is just a cut and paste from the other thread as I couldn't be arsed to write it all out again.
I do have my list (for all you emos/goths/suicidals to have a crack at) all written out, but it may seem a little silly posting it now after the, and I quote with massive inverted commas, ''top 100 albums of all time'', is all finished. It was interesting to read. In fact, I may have pissed myself a couple of times. But then, music is pretty much the most personal thing out there and to laugh at someone's musical taste is pretty severe. Even if they deserve it. So, here is the cut and pasted bit:

Firstly, was this a voted for list? And if so, was it open only to art students? I mean, seriously, with that much Smiths, Dylan, Waits, Radiohead, Bowie and the like, I'm a little surprised that anyone made it through to view the final results. Nobody found in the tub halfway through?
3 Radiohead albums in the top 4 says more than any words I could write. Arcade Fire ARE a great outfit, but I can't really believe they have made the greatest album of all time. I remember Rubber Soul at 62 or something? Ho ho ho.
To me, the Arctics are one of the most imortant bands of this generation. The 2 most startling (and telling) facts of this list are that only their first album is listed at all, and most laughably, that Oasis' first album lags behind Morning Glory. Says it all really doesn't it?
Fuck it, let's put Coldplay on! Let's drink lager tops. Let's smoke Richmond. Let's do everything in moderation. Let's all listen to Wonderwall rather than Rock And Roll Star. God help us all if this is what it's come to................................
Feel free to give me shit all you want. Or not. You may already have topped yourselves or be busy self-harming.........

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 121
RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? - 18/7/2011 1:13:10 PM   
Angelus

quote:

ORIGINAL: gazpop

Firstly, was this a voted for list?

Yes.

quote:

And if so, was it open only to art students?

No.

quote:

3 Radiohead albums in the top 4 says more than any words I could write.

A lot of the people who voted like Radiohead?

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 122
RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? - 18/7/2011 1:18:14 PM   
gazpop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Angelus

quote:

Firstly, was this a voted for list?

Yes.

Ok

quote:

And if so, was it open only to art students?

No.

Fine

quote:

3 Radiohead albums in the top 4 says more than any words I could write.

A lot of the people who voted like Radiohead?

I like them too. I just honestly don't feel that they have collectively made 3 of the 4 greatest albums of all time. Do you?

Yeah, that's real fine expensive gear you brought out here, Mr. Hooper.'Course I don't know what that bastard shark's gonna do with it-might eat it I suppose. Seen one eat a rockin' chair one time. Hey chieffy, next time you just ask me which line to pull

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 123
RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? - 18/7/2011 1:28:09 PM   
Angelus

No, but it's the kind of result you can expect in a poll like this.

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 124
RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? - 18/7/2011 1:32:26 PM   
gazpop

To a degree, yes, but I hadn't counted on such a lot of folk/whine/doom fans. Is that why they're on here? Should I be more depressed? Rawls voting for 4 Springsteen and 4 Waits in his top 8 was an eyebrow-lifter. Ho hum. But I have a lot of respect for Rawls (and I love The Boss too) so no comment from me. I look forward to chucking my tuppence-worth in next year.

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 125
RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? - 18/7/2011 1:51:05 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

Rawls voting for 4 Springsteen and 4 Waits in his top 8 was an eyebrow-lifter.

Why?

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 126
RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? - 18/7/2011 2:54:23 PM   
Olaf

as Angelus has correctly pointed out, it is really just an unavoidable result of the voting system - most of the voters didn't believe that Radiohead made three of the four best albums of all time, but having more than one album that people would consider their favourite led to multiple albums picking up a lot of points. Arcade Fire having only one such album (though The Suburbs got a couple of no.1 votes) led to them winning quite comfortably.

I'm slightly confused about the other point though - were the voters whiny art students who don't get out much or LADS who drink lager and smoke Richmonds? surely not both (though students are pretty cheap, so who knows). Definitely Maybe is better though.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 127
RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? - 18/7/2011 3:25:51 PM   
gazpop

Sorry everyone. Hungover and looking for an argument. You're right, of course. I'm being obtuse/an ass.
Rawls-I dunno. I just figured that if you liked those artists and their music there was gonna be 1 or 2 others that might get a look -in somewhere in the top 8. Dylan. Guthrie. Cohen. Van Morrison. Cash. Sorry if it seemed as though I was knocking. I can't remember-was Nebraska one of those top 4 Springsteen? I sincerely hope so.
But thanks for everyone for sharing; it really is the most personal and soul--exposing thing you can do on here. Except for your favourite sandwich filling in Nomnomnom. Or ask Dev.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 128
RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? - 19/7/2011 12:50:33 AM   
Olaf

Fair enough, the list's main function is to provoke some debate anyway so I don't mind personally. feel free to post a top twenty though (that's probably becaus I like reading lists too much).

on another note, I don't know if it's a good time or not to mention that I'm a twenty year old arts student who owns all the albums in this list.

I tried to groan, Help! Help! But the tone that came out was that of polite conversation.

Empire Top 100 Albums Poll 2013: CLICK HERE

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 129
RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? - 19/7/2011 1:17:54 PM   
gazpop

Ha ha. You really are aren't you? Cool. Good luck with the studies Olaf.

Ok, so I guess I should stick my off the top of my head top 20 on here then, seeing as I was spouting off before.

In alphabetical order:

Arctic Monkeys - Favourite Worst Nightmare

Beastie Boys - To The 5 Boroughs

Beatles - Rubber Soul / Revolver

Cream - Disraeli Gears

The Cure - Standing On A Beach

David Bowie - A Reality Tour

De La Soul - 3 Feet High And Rising

Dr Dre - The Chronic

The Happy Mondays - Pills, Thrills and Bellyaches

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis Bold As Love / Are You Experienced?

Oasis - Definitely Maybe

The Pixies - Surfer Rosa / Doolittle

Pearl Jam - Vs

Public Enemy - Fear Of A Black Planet / It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back

Queen - Sheer Heart Attack / Jazz

Radiohead - The Bends

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

Otis Redding - Dock Of The Bay

Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska

The Stone Roses - The Stone Roses

I'm already in tears as I haven't put in Led Zep, Stones, 10cc, Charlatans, Floyd, Leftfield and so many more. When playing the 'what 5 albums would you take on a desert island' game I normally slip in Mozart - Requiem. Ask me again in 6mths and there may be some changes. Well, thanks for listening. It's been quite cathartic. Let the ribbing begin.

ps- I may have broken 1 or 2 rules here but it's not being collated for a vote so I hope I'm ok.

(in reply to Olaf)
Post #: 130
RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? - 19/7/2011 1:43:50 PM   
gazpop

Looking back quickly, I can see there are a couple of albums that some people will be totally 'meh' about, and I can dig it. I guess it's hard to put in what you think are the greatest albums and what are your favourites. Do I think that Led Zep 4, The Wall or Beggars Banquet are better albums than Pearl Jam's Vs? Sure. No doubt. But which means more to me?
I doubt I could write the 20 albums that are 'the best' as you would need to take into account so many factors. The influence of said artist and album. Originality. Structure. Lyrical skill or composition. And lots of other boring shite. Much better to just write in your top 20 faves, n'est pas?

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 131
RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? - 19/7/2011 2:23:55 PM   
superdan

I never voted for what I consider the 'best' or most accomplished albums. I tried to vote for the albums I like the most.

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 132
RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? - 19/7/2011 2:26:29 PM   
gazpop

Ditto. I doubt if i could.

(in reply to superdan)
Post #: 133
RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? - 19/7/2011 5:23:41 PM   
Larry of Arabia

Your list doesn't really look that different from anybody else's that voted, and you've put Bowie and Radiohead in there. Maybe it was best you didn't vote this year, they'd be even higher and we would've had to go round your house to check the tub in case you'd ended it all.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 134
RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? - 19/7/2011 8:09:00 PM   
gazpop

touche turtle
everyone needs to have, hang on, I guess I'd have to say everyone needs to have at least 1 album by all the people I mentioned, so, er, yeah, I'm gonna end it all.
your comments about Scarlett previously?.........they weren't in any way affected for your love for said actress/songstress?
I jest; I admire your honesty Larry *looks away slightly to hide biting of lips*

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 135
RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? - 21/7/2011 12:08:38 AM   
tommyjarvis

quote:

Do I think that Led Zep 4, The Wall or Beggars Banquet are better albums than Pearl Jam's Vs? Sure. No doubt. But which means more to me?

I haven't listened to Beggars' Banquet but Vs is definitely better than the other two albums there.

"I've been too honest with myself, I should have lied like everybody else"

My Top 101 Rock Songs - The first Audiophile list to actually get completed!

(in reply to gazpop)
Post #: 136
RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? - 21/7/2011 10:58:09 AM   
gazpop

Well TJ, we're gonna be in a bit of a minority there. Maybe we should post in 'your unpopular opinion'. While I acknowledge the impact that The Wall made, I get my rocks off more listening to Vs. As do you. But then we're weird like that..........

(in reply to tommyjarvis)
Post #: 137
RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? - 21/11/2011 4:21:10 AM   
ravedance

Great music list here thanks 4 the info RaveDance Internet Radio Station

< Message edited by ravedance -- 21/11/2011 4:22:06 AM >

(in reply to shawshank prisoner)
Post #: 138
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Audiophile >> RE: Empire Top 100 Albums 2011? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News|Empire Blog|Movie Reviews|Future Films|Features|Video Interviews|Image Gallery|Competitions|Forum|Magazine|Resources
Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI