Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Amazing

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Amazing Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Amazing - 29/1/2011 9:35:19 PM   
TinyButDeadly

If Franco or Firth do not win best actor there is something wrong with the world. It was an amazing film and I feel full sympathy for the real aron. One of the best films I have seen and I would give it a 5/5 stars. I watched it for a second time today (1st with friends, 2nd with family) and is it weird that I feel worse after watching the 'scene' for a 2nd time. The 1st time I saw it I got hot and sweaty and grossed out but I felt fine. This time my stomach turned and i felt a bit sick yet I knew what to expect and when etc.

Anyway I recommend it to everyone. Unless you have a feintheart

(in reply to themightyhutch)
Post #: 31
RE: Amazing - 30/1/2011 9:41:24 PM   
musht

Very good film with an excellent performance from Franco and an awesome soundtrack. Didn't expect to like it as much as I did, even during the film I had my doubts, but the ending did for me really well done

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to TinyButDeadly)
Post #: 32
RE: 127 Hours - 2/2/2011 11:10:07 AM   
undisputed3

James Franco has played very well in it.worth watching.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 33
RE: Amazing - 8/2/2011 12:23:45 AM   
thepluginbaby

I enjoyed the movie, but it got to a point where I was like 'just cut the god damn arm off'. If it was me, I would have probably cut it off the second day, because I wouldn't want to miss the Apprentice or whatever was on.

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

Post #: 34
Predictable - 8/2/2011 10:40:59 PM   
Francis46

I think that there is a strong element of "The Emperor's New Clothes" about Empire's review. In my opinion, this movie was desperately predictable and rather dull! Man falls down hole. Man gets stuck down hole because of rock trapping arm. Man works out that to get out of hole he needs to move rock or die of thirst, exposure, ant bites... All a bit dull really.

Post #: 35
fantastic - 10/2/2011 9:25:07 PM   
jomo999

best film of the year, franco is marvellous and Boyle keeps a premise that could have been very dull constantly entertaining and thrilling. There's more excitement in this film anbout a man trapped under a boulder for 90 minutes than there is in most action movies. The ending is a joyful tear-jerker. Unless you're turned off by the whole blunt penknife scenario (it's graphic, but no more than it should be), don't miss this.

Post #: 36
RE: Predictable - 11/2/2011 11:17:41 PM   
themightyhutch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Francis46

I think that there is a strong element of "The Emperor's New Clothes" about Empire's review. In my opinion, this movie was desperately predictable and rather dull! Man falls down hole. Man gets stuck down hole because of rock trapping arm. Man works out that to get out of hole he needs to move rock or die of thirst, exposure, ant bites... All a bit dull really.

I'm not entirely sure how much variety you were expecting. Bearing in mind supposedly the film is near enough a documentary, I think Boyle's done remarkably well to keep an interesting and engaging film from really very little.

(in reply to Francis46)
Post #: 37
RE: 127 Hours - 13/2/2011 10:02:07 AM   
slickrick

Just seen 127 Hours.
Wow. At 90mins it is short and sweet. Firstly Franco is excellent as Aron. It is only 15 os so minutes in that he gets stuck and the rest seems like a heartbeat. A few scenes that stuck out for me were the small bit where he thought of his Gatorade in the car and the subsequent visions of old pop ads; and the rescue scene which pretty much made me tear up with emotion. It's hard to recommend to people as it is a tough film, but definitely see it. Loved it.

Post #: 38
RE: Predictable - 13/2/2011 10:13:28 PM   
Francis46

Well, I went to see the film on the basis that it was a Danny Boyle film. Other than that, I knew nothing about it beforehand. I hadn't seen any trailers, didn't know anything about the plot and didn't know that it was based on a true story. If I had known then I probably wouldn't have bothered watching it! Although it wasn't my cup of tea, the film does have some good music in it though.

< Message edited by Francis46 -- 13/2/2011 10:15:10 PM >

I aint getting on no plane!

Post #: 39
RE: Predictable - 16/2/2011 7:47:38 PM   
evil bill

Well first off if you don't already know what happened,you must have been living in a cave for a very long time,or trapped down a canyon.Now the film's star James Franco will be one of the greats in the near future,and may be the outsider to win Best Actor Oscar??.In this he delivers all the emotion you can handle,and is outstanding in many way's,but  i know human brutality or error leading towards a need to survive story that make it to the big screen are usually the ones that capture our hearts.Well i saw the Documentary on BBC 2 some time ago,seen an interview with Aron Ralston twice on TV so no surprise this did not float my boat.Also Danny Boyle direction is too comic book in style,with the camera swooping across the landscape,and our senses drenched with colour and sound,lot's of flash backs that seem out of order.Yes it great direction and photography,with dazzling beautiful vistas,and the hacking off of the arm real nasty and bloody,but at no time did i really feel this guy is trapped in some kind of hell.Maybe Danny tried to hard to rack up tension and dazzle us with style instead of letting the story unfold like in The Void another true yet for me better made movie.When the fast and furious editing settles we glimpse a fine performance from Franco, although less varied and powerful than Ryan Reynolds in Rodrigo Cortes's Buried.Overall it is a good movie not a great one,or maybe it's just me getting bored of movie's with the same theme.It did pass the time and did look great,and Franco has a great screen presence on screen,so if you still have not had enough of this type of movie,get the popcorn in and a sick bag,enjoy.

"You listen to me now,i will find you and i will kill you!"

(in reply to Francis46)
Post #: 40
RE: Predictable - 20/2/2011 1:14:21 PM   
Francis46

Hi again evilbill.

Well, what can I say? I had never heard of the guy! I thought that Franco was also previously good in the Spiderman films and that aftershave ad he was in.

Enjoyment of this film or movies in general depends on your outlook I suppose. I'm not the kind of person who likes to know too much about what a film is going to be like before seeing it. This movie is clearly about transmitting the rawness of the whole experience to the viewer. My main gripe is that that aside, the plot is inevitably very predictable.

I aint getting on no plane!

(in reply to evil bill)
Post #: 41
RE: Slick - 20/2/2011 2:35:13 PM   
Magenta

I really enjoyed the film and considering the plot was pretty well known if like me you're interested in news of this ilke and we knew the outcome.
I really hated the character in the first about 50 mins thought what a dumb nub for A. not telling anyone where he was going and B.for his arrogance and his attitude that he was invinsible.
As for the last 30 mins I was willing him to live and really felt for him and from what I've read it's made a better man of him.
Just goes to say that old adage never under estimate mother nature.
James Franco was exactly the right casting and considering the short subject I thought Danny Boyle made a very slick film.
loved the sountrack as well..
4/5

“If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you, but the question is, if I die, what are you going to do? Bon appétit... Eat or die. "

(in reply to Francis46)
Post #: 42
It rocks - 21/2/2011 6:53:00 PM   
oneangryman

I didn�t know whether to cry for him, try and help him, not believe him or just not watch him at all. In the end, I just got stuck with him and then released by him.
I hoped 127 hours would be good, it�s Danny Boyle, expectations are high, but I couldn�t even guess he�d make it in the extraordinary way he did.
127 Hours is a story of extreme-sports enthusiast, Aron Ralston (James Franco) who one day goes out for a bit of an adventure in Blue John Canyon.
The film starts off with Aron heading out to the Canyon without telling anyone where he�s actually gone. The trip starts off with Aron meeting two girls called Kristi and Megan. The three have an afternoon travelling and jumping into the bluest of waters. When Aron parts with the two girls he wonders around on his own route and �oops�, he slips and a rock falls on his right arm so that he is trapped inside the canyon. Before I go much further I�m telling you this is a true story and actually happened to my astonishment.
The rest of movie is you and Aron stuck in the canyon together. I know that doesn�t sound like a lot of fun but because you know you�re watching a film you feel slightly safer. But still uncomfortable. But this is exactly where Mr Danny Boyle wants you to be. He makes you feel as though you are in the canyon with Aron. I found myself thirsty, then refreshed, panicky, helpless and at times utterly mesmerised by what this man went through. I think I could take my water slowly, drink my own wee but to cut off your own arm is an achievement of the highest order. In fact how he even occupied his mind baffles me.
But we are not here to talk about the true story; we�re here to talk about the event from the genius mind of Danny Boyle. Danny Boyle manages to keep you stuck in a canyon but at the same time he can keep you interested and with sheer entertainment. The split screen and flash backs are absolutely perfectly positione

Post #: 43
- 24/2/2011 10:37:04 PM   
TheGodfather

127 Hours
On forehand I was sceptic about this and wasn`t sure if I wanted to see it. Luckily that turned out to be unnecessary. Danny Boyle`s newest work exceed`s all my expectations. Together with and thanks to a great James Franco, who finally proves he can carry a film by him self, Boyle delivers a breathtaking and literally oppressive film. Th� strong point of the film is the editing: the way the images and the sound design are made together into one whole is brilliant.
Talking about brilliant: Franco really is strong in the lead part and knows exactly how to bring across the madness that his character is in.
The combination of all those things make 127 Hours into a real surprise that rightfully gets a lot of credit and turns out to be one of the most interesting films of Boyle`s carreer.

9,0/10

Post #: 44
UNFORGETTABLE MASTERPIECE. - 4/4/2011 5:44:15 PM   
lewisb548

Danny Boyle previously known for his exploits in 28 days later and slumdog millionare has made a masterpiece 127 hours which is an improvement on both 28 days later and slumdog, 127 hours in lesser hands could have been a disaster but still this film is brilliant, it is superb, Danny you are awesome.
Franco pulls off the impossible a flawless performance, that got him an oscar nomination, Colin Firth was obviously going too win best actor and don't hate me for saying this, but I thought Franco should have got it, both brilliant performances but still, Franco you are an acting god, his perfomance is tender sweet sad and impossibly flawless, Dannny Boyles directing style is harsh brutal, darkly funny and jaw droppingly amazing, I went too see this at the cinema and it was worth the money defintely, as this film proves too be one of the best in recent history. For a film revolving around one person and two beatiful girls at the start it was actually kind of fun until he gets his arm stuck under a fucking boulder, ah, shit happens but for Franco's charcter Ralston he's gutted, when the bile inducing sickening and brutal arm cutting scene finally comes into play you watch in amazment at what Ralston has done, the impossible, he inspired a brilliant movie, lost his arm, and yes conquered death (saved the best for last.) As he escpaed from the dreaded boulder an idiotic possibly retarded girl behind me said "so has he cut off his arm yet?" I wanted too slap this girl, but instead I turned around and shook my head at her boyfriend, he silently agreed with me, he was dating an idiot. As the film ended and I stared into the screen as the film ended a fat man stood and began clapping inspiring a cliche, everyone followed in his footsteps me sooner than others and we all agreed every one of us in the cinema the claps were well deserved. This is a cinematic masterpiece, Franco you desreved that oscar you saint, and as for that stupid girl:
MY FUCKING GOD.............

Post #: 45
RE: Predictable - 1/5/2011 10:50:34 AM   
the film man

Im sorry to say this but are you retarded, reason being that obviously the plot is predictable since his arm got stuck in a rock at the beggining of the film, but that does'nt mean the film is shit, couldn't you have just admired the film for its briliance.

(in reply to Francis46)
Post #: 46
Real Review - 1/5/2011 10:56:46 AM   
the film man

This is an absolote brilliant film, Danny Boyle has created a mastapice of a film and James Franco was absolotely brilliant. I woul also recomend the book Between a Rock and a Hard Place.

Post #: 47
RE: Real Review - 1/5/2011 7:46:00 PM   
hampstead bandit

saw this a few weeks back

surprisingly good

4/5 from me

(in reply to the film man)
Post #: 48
Extraordinary film - 28/8/2011 12:58:19 AM   
jomo999

Based on the true story of Aron Ralston's canyoneering excursion in Utah, gone horribly wrong. The headstrong, foolish Ralston falls and is trapped underneath a boulder for 127 hours, where he must use all his survival techniques and meditates on his mistakes. Franco's performance is magnificent and Boyle's direction is both involving and imaginative. A stirring, life-affirming film that can watch again and again, regardless of some harrowing scenes. And to those who say it's predictable: IT'S A TRUE STORY FOR GOD'S SAKE.

Post #: 49
RE: 127 Hours - 17/9/2011 10:55:45 AM   
Super Hans

We watched this last night - very good film.  Very tense, gripping and an effective insight to what it must be like to be trapped in that scenario.  I've only ever seen James Franco in the Spider-Man films so his performance in 127 Hours was quite a revelation to me.  I liked the fact that as gut-wrenching as the pivotal scene is, I shared what must have been some intense relief once he finally managed to get free.

Wtith this Lovefilm choice, my wife has more than redeemed herself for Paranormal Activity 2 and Sex and the City 2!

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

Post #: 50
RE: 127 Hours - 17/9/2011 6:20:37 PM   
Hood_Man

I really enjoyed this. Absolutely gorgeous to look at (both cinematography and cast if I'm honest), and when it came to freeing himself I totally believed his character would have done what he did. Not a question of "Oh it's a true story, I knew he was going to anyway," but the way Danny Boyle built up to it and the growing desperation... it totally worked for me.

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 51
RE: 127 Hours - 17/9/2011 6:31:43 PM   
Super Hans

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

I really enjoyed this. Absolutely gorgeous to look at (both cinematography and cast if I'm honest), and when it came to freeing himself I totally believed his character would have done what he did. Not a question of "Oh it's a true story, I knew he was going to anyway," but the way Danny Boyle built up to it and the growing desperation... it totally worked for me.

Agreed. I also found myself really rooting for him to free himself in his attempts throughout, despite knowing from the start the truly desperate measure he'd have to resort to. I find that's a sign of a good 'true story' film.

"Its staring at you in the face Mark, there's only one more sex to try..."

(in reply to Hood_Man)
Post #: 52
RE: 127 Hours - 17/9/2011 7:21:31 PM   
thetruth

Was decent.I thought Franco did a good job with a rather limited story(yes i know it's true!).
It was quite a feat to keep the audience interested for so long with presumably most knowing the story and the setting being so obviously confined.

Without love we are dead

Protect children from vile and obscene videos

(in reply to Super Hans)
Post #: 53
127 Hours Review - 22/1/2012 11:36:36 PM   
the film man

As gut-wrenching as it is inspirational, 127 Hours unites one of Danny Boyle's most beautifully exuberant directorial efforts with a terrific performance from James Franco.

Post #: 54
- 23/1/2012 11:21:47 PM   
jackcarlin18

was extremely close the throwing up watching him cut his nerve! mind bobbling

Post #: 55
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Amazing Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI