Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Holy Grit it's good

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Holy Grit it's good Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Holy Grit it's good - 7/3/2011 5:36:55 PM   
jonson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Emyr Thy King
When the three criminals are hanged, they all get to say their piece except the native American. Later on, the Marshall kicks the two native American boys, one of them twice. Clearly they were meant to be humourous but it just came across as rather cheap.

Yeah, I picked up on this. When the native American gets ignored, the cinema laughed, as I guess it was supposed to be a joke to show how they were treated in those times, but as they are still treated like that I found it quite disturbing it was used in a humerous way. I laughed myself, but almost felt completely guilty for doing so.
It did feel wrong though, you're right IMO.

I've got all the Barbie ones!!!

Yeah but you're old. Really old. Old. Old. Old. Old.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 91
RE: ITS A SAD REALITY WHERE FILMAKERS LIKE THE COENS AN... - 7/3/2011 6:21:24 PM   
AlanCJ

Yep, Shutter Island was so so....

However, I was a bit impatient with True Grit. Jeff B. is simply awesome but he seems to play similar sort of caracters lately. Needless to say that I had a problem understanding he's words. He mumbles alot....

After all, he is a Dude!!!

A

(in reply to Senton)
Post #: 92
Very good, not quite great - 7/3/2011 7:14:54 PM   
blindlemonpie

Crappy CGI rattle snakes, rushed climax, confused tone. Some sporadic classic 5 star moments but too inconsisent to be considered a "great" movie.

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 93
RE: Holy Grit it's good - 7/3/2011 11:18:43 PM   
Emyr Thy King

quote:

ORIGINAL: adambatman82
No Country might not be the best point to go from here. True Grit, to me at least, felt like the natural extension of No Country, so if you didn't like TG then No Country might not impress either. It is a very good film tho (and my favourite Coen alongside A Serious Man). What sort of films do you like? The Coen's have covered pretty much every base, so someone ought to be able to recommend something based more closely on your tastes.

I liked Barry Pepper a lot. A really complex, morally ambiguous soul, and one that I felt it difficult to read from one scene to another. He's does that whole "bad guy you don't know whether to trust" role really well, and, considering he was following in the footsteps of Robert Duvall, managed to make the role his own.

I'll still reserve judgement for "No Country..." since it's adapted from a Cormac McCarthy book and so I expect a different kind of story. There are also others actors such as Javier Bardem and Tommy Lee Jones, so at least it has a different 'make-up' of actors. I like strong character pieces, so I like a good drama, I'm partial to a 'thoughtful' action film if there is such a thing. I like the odd thriller as well.

By the way mate, Barry Pepper and Greg Kinnear are starring in the "Kennedys". It's a eight-part mini-series about the 'dynamic duo' of  John F. Kennedy and Robert Kennedy. Have a look:

Kennedys

Greg Kinnear looks like him and he's a good actor. Barry Pepper again looks like he's nailed the part, he's shaping up to be a very good actor. Tom Wilkinson is usually reliable but it has Katie Holmes in it though. I think it'll be on the History Channel over here.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TrendMeUp
Yawn. How arogant and self absorbed you must be, that when you find yourself disagreeing with the world, you claim that the world is crazy. Also, your opinion of the film has no validity as you haven't even seen it. You've seen 30 minutes of it. If you'd had the patience and sense to stay longer than 30 minutes, you'd have been able to see some people getting shot and that! Maybe that would elevate the film from the infamous critical status of "movie 4 pussies".

I'll quote the late Brian Hanrahan:

"I counted them all out and I counted them all back"

I refer to the number of sheep of which I kept a count whilst watching the film. Within the first 10-15 minutes I did begin to think: "where is this going?" "perhaps it's a slow-burner?". Unfortunately, I wasn't engaged by the material throughout the film and the longer I watched the film, the more I began to find the characters irritating and the story utterly boring. While I disagree with anyone who walks out of a film before its closing credits, an act which is "ignorant" as Paddy Considine would agree. I sympathise with him.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jonson
Yeah, I picked up on this. When the native American gets ignored, the cinema laughed, as I guess it was supposed to be a joke to show how they were treated in those times, but as they are still treated like that I found it quite disturbing it was used in a humerous way. I laughed myself, but almost felt completely guilty for doing so.
It did feel wrong though, you're right IMO.

I'm glad that you saw it too. I find it unsavoury and just really gauche.

A late edit -- In the review, Angie Errigo said "Not one contraction is to be heard in the film". An erroneous statement. Here's a few examples of contractions in the film:

Rooster Cogburn: "That didn't pan out."

Rooster Cogburn: "We'll sleep here and follow in the morning."

LaBoeuf: "I've just come from Yell County."

Mattie Ross: "It can't be helped. I still have to collect father's things and see to some other business."

You get the picture.

< Message edited by Emyr Thy King -- 9/3/2011 5:00:49 PM >

"This whole imbroglio is epiphenomenal"...."demigogic faux egalitarianism" - Will Self

(in reply to adambatman82)
Post #: 94
RE: Holy Grit it's good - 14/3/2011 2:44:20 PM   
janey12

Coen Brothers perchance for humour where you wouldn't usually expect make this film for me. Could have been a straight western tale but their character development is second to none. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

(in reply to Emyr Thy King)
Post #: 95
RE: Holy Grit it's good - 15/3/2011 1:12:40 AM   
musht

Great film, really enjoyed it although I was slightly disappointed in the ending

"SAVE ME, BARRY!!"

"What the hell are Regionals!?"

"color=#F1F1F1" Spoiler text "/color"

(in reply to janey12)
Post #: 96
Solid 4 stars - 29/3/2011 7:30:42 PM   
Pelle

It really ain't as good as the best Coen films. But since this is clearly one of the most mainstream of their movies, it should be compared to the other Coen brothers calculated crowdpleasers. Such as Intoralbe Cruelty and The Ladykillers. Those were bollocks but True Grit is really one of the most truly entertaining Coen-piece.

Post #: 97
The Coen's Have Grit. - 31/3/2011 8:07:48 PM   
JackEmpireOwen

This film of a dying genre, may just have brought it back to life...

The Coen's who have kept incredibly close to the book (which I'm 1/2 way through) have chose very, very wisely. The chose to base it on Mattie Ross, instead of Reuben 'Rooster' Cogburn, which was the right thing to do. Newcomer Hailee Steinfeld is terrific...She completely sold it as a stubborn, wise 14 year old girl. Jeff Bridges (The Dude) is brilliant (yet again) as Rooster, from his mumbling voice to his serious stare getting ready to whip out his revolver and start shooting! Jeff Bridges is and will be a brilliant actor. Matt Damon (The Coen's are unbelievable at getting the right guy/girl for the role) is the proud, full of himself cow-lick Texas Ranger, La Beouf. He, again, is simply brilliant at this role even his glare at Mattie walking past while lighting a pipe is brilliant, you expect him to be this smart Texas Ranger, but no. He's full of himself alright he wants money and being a Texas Ranger is better than being President as far as he's concerned. Now, Josh Brolin...Wow! If you (like me) first properly met Josh Brolin as Llewelyn Moss in another Coen triumph, 'No Country For Old Men', you will know his voice etc in 'True Grit' it's completely different, when he first opened his mouth and the way he was walking etc I was completely shocked! Now he is considered as was one of the greatest actors I've ever seen, considering he only had about 10-15 screen time. You may be thinking, "What?!"...But trust me, he's brilliant. Like EMPIRE say's from those big roles right down to the family lawyer, everyone one is brilliant. The setting is brilliant, the weather goes from hot to snow..then hot again, then snow. This film is brilliant and the Coen's are brilliant.

True Grit.

Post #: 98
Why? - 9/4/2011 9:56:10 PM   
Zayd Awan

Just to start I would like to say that all the good points of this film have been exhausted by other critics so here's the rest.
I love Jeff bridges but even I struggled to hear what he had to say.
The ending was entirely rushed and pointless, the snakes and the arm where enough but when they had the chance to salvage it at the end by a meeting with cogburn they had to ruin that too with his death. Now the Coen brothers are renouned for there story telling, what happened here was less the Red Dead Redemption people wanted and more a how the West was lost.
Don't believe the hype

Post #: 99
Eating grit would be better - 10/6/2011 7:08:55 PM   
jokerpoker123

i RENTED THIS THE OTHER DAY AND COULD NOT UNDERSTAND A WORD, NOW MY FREINDS GET DRUNK ALOT AND MUMMBLE AND I UNDERSTAND THEM JUST FINE, THIS THOUGH MY GOD IT WAS LIKE WHAT DID HE JUST SAY? WHAT WAS THAT? MUMBBLE MUMBLE GROWN ????? AND IT WAS BORING; FELL ASLEEP. I DONT TEND TO LISTEN TO EMPIRES REVIEWS ANYMORE. IS THERE ANY POINT OF MOVIE REVEWERS ANYMORE ANYWAY ???

Post #: 100
Loved It! - 10/6/2011 9:46:09 PM   
Turd Ferguson

Simply put - this is an amazing movie! Definitely a must see for both fans of the genre and non-fans alike. Incredible performances from everyone involved. The Coens nailed it yet again. Bravo!

Post #: 101
Excepitional - 13/6/2011 3:39:27 PM   
aamoran10

the coens once again deliver a timeless classic with its beautifal cinematography and haunting score

Post #: 102
MASTERPIECE - 14/6/2011 3:57:35 PM   
bobbyperu

About 8 years ago it was looking like the Coen's might have peaked since then we have done No Country/Serious man/ True grit - The best run of films they have had in a long time - Lets hope they can keep it up -

Post #: 103
Not perfect but brilliantly decent Western - 14/6/2011 11:12:31 PM   
trainedasninja

Profound part romantic, part realistic depiction of the west. If not surreal in places (the bear man for instance). This truely is Steinfeld film, her performance tops the efforts of the other more experienced actors. Not to say that they werent excellant. Its difficult to decide whether this film is worthy of 5 stars. The ending is not over or understated and perhaps a little more drama in the story would have been welcome. Not like im accusing it of being talky but it does somewhat lose pace when they leave the fort. However it doesnt feel too long with a prompt 100 minutes. This is an essentially a film about character and their are some great ones indeed. Really enjoyed it and perhaps the hype may have spoiled it for me a slight.Yet forget the hype, the expectation, here is an excellant film. Not on the same level as Eastwood's 'Unforgiven' but 5 stars is deserved.

Post #: 104
- 15/6/2011 11:30:25 AM   
willchadwick

A perfectly put together Western, the Coens make it looks effortless and wipe the slate clean of the John Wayne version. Bridges and Steinfeld are excellent, Damon however steals the show.

Post #: 105
- 17/6/2011 9:28:47 PM   
Coolerking2007

just watched it absolutely beautiful and poetic i think steinfield is a one to watch she will go far and a nice turn from bridges as always

Post #: 106
- 14/8/2011 1:22:07 PM   
Green Jeep

Failed to get going then ended, no where near the 5 stars empire gave it

Post #: 107
- 14/8/2011 1:22:09 PM   
Green Jeep

Failed to get going then ended, no where near the 5 stars empire gave it

Post #: 108
You May Need Subtitles - 17/8/2011 5:41:00 PM   
TheMovieAddict101

As much as I enjoyed watching this, with the great performances (La Bouef, Mattie Ross) i couldn't help but think the subtitles would come in hand, but they didn't work. The whole film works on so many levels, with a great all-rounded finish, it's a shame it's let down by Bridges' drunken slobbering

Post #: 109
RE: You May Need Subtitles - 21/8/2011 5:24:56 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Well I'm annoyed. Got this from Love Film. Over an hour into it, really loving it despite worrying it wouldn't be for me and what do you know? The disc starts skipping. Not a happy camper! Guess I'll have to wait for TV.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to TheMovieAddict101)
Post #: 110
RE: You May Need Subtitles - 24/8/2011 4:35:24 PM   
The REAL Bozz

Got around to watching the whole film. It was great. Right up until the snake bite and from that point on I hated it. Ruined the film.

Films I've watched
Star Trek Into Darkness ***
Iron Man 3 *****
Evil Dead (2013) ***
Bait 3D ***

(in reply to The REAL Bozz)
Post #: 111
Great, but no masterpiece - 4/12/2011 7:56:07 PM   
youngnedyoung

All the usual Coen Brothers ingredients, great cast, well acted. Maybe I need to read the book (I don't get time to get into books), but I felt the villains could have been deeper. Couldn't connect with them and felt that Brolin and Pepper could've been any other actors. Wasted opportunity.

Post #: 112
Exciting And Involving - 21/12/2011 5:33:30 AM   
blaud

Something of an interesting film in my opinion, as the Coen brothers have optioned to do a much more accessible film than most previous efforts with True Grit. It's still aesthetically 'Coen', obviously, but this time around, it's all about the touches rather than the piece as a whole; understandably so too, as it is, after all, a remake. At the bare bones, the characterisation and casting is near-perfect, the script is (as always) superb, and the film is beautifully shot. I don't feel it fully deserves the five star rating Empire (and many other publications) have awarded it, as the ending feels tacked on, and some of the narrative is a little clunky and oblique. Nevertheless, this is a way beyond solid venture into western territory by the Coen brothers, and ensures once again that they are top of their game, and if they're not, they're damned close.

Post #: 113
True Grit Review - 26/2/2012 11:10:04 PM   
the film man

Girded by strong performances from Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, and newcomer Hailee Steinfeld, and lifted by some of The Coens' most finely tuned, unaffected work, True Grit is a worthy companion to the Charles Portis book, and The Coen Brothers bst fil to date.

Post #: 114
Far from perfect, in my opinion ... - 27/2/2012 2:33:14 PM   
Nicky C

... don't understand all the fuss. It's very nearly brilliant, but a Hero is only as good as their opponent and the opponents in this are one-dimensional. For all the Coen-esque language and details, there is very little plot. Bridges is great, but simply doesn't have enough to do. Brolin has almost nothing to do. Steinfield is awesome but the coda is slapped on quickly and harshly and she keeps us at such a distance that it's hard to care about her.

Post #: 115
RE: Far from perfect, in my opinion ... - 19/8/2012 12:00:17 PM   
UTB

Watched this for the 2nd time last night, seemed even better than the first viewing. Expecting an incomprehensible Bridges meant I paid more attention to what he was saying so no issues there, I think might well be his best performance, even better than The Dude. Hailee Steinfeld is stunning too (in the acting sense, not the looks), each line delivered perfectly and never suffering from that drama-school acting that often taints younger performances (see the first 3-4 Potter movies). I also appreciated Damon more than I did the first time round.

Cracking film, and the horse riding scene towards the end is still a tear jerker.

(in reply to Nicky C)
Post #: 116
"They told me you had true grit." - 20/12/2012 1:19:56 AM   
movienut707

The Coen's remake of True Grit is the closest they've come to blockbuster territory, and they can't help themselves from making it something special. Marvelous.

Post #: 117
True Grit - 23/12/2012 2:06:50 AM   
norgizfox

Beautifully shot, the exhilarating True Grit is told from Hallie Steinfield, who gives one of the best performances of 2010, and from the Coen brothers, who once again proves that they are the masters of modern westerns

Post #: 118
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: Holy Grit it's good Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI