Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Go Angie

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Go Angie Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Go Angie - 8/2/2011 1:47:27 PM   
7eke

It's wonderful to read a review that shows the reviewers passion and love of film....you should give Kim Newman some pointers!

good work

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 31
Bit of a weird one... - 9/2/2011 6:46:19 PM   
Jezzman

Whilst I loved this movie on so many levels, a big part of me keep saying 'this feels unnecessary' when I started watching it. Though I haven't seen the first adaptation in a long time, watching this was a real refresher. Though whilst the score, cinematography, dialogue and everything else was top notch, I found myself thinking 'it's no John Wayne.'

Post #: 32
Bit of a weird one... - 9/2/2011 6:46:21 PM   
Jezzman

Whilst I loved this movie on so many levels, a big part of me keep saying 'this feels unnecessary' when I started watching it. Though I haven't seen the first adaptation in a long time, watching this was a real refresher. Though whilst the score, cinematography, dialogue and everything else was top notch, I found myself thinking 'it's no John Wayne.'

Post #: 33
RE: True Grit - 11/2/2011 7:50:38 PM   
R W

Directors/Screenwriters: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen
Starring: Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Josh Brolin, Hailee Steinfeld, Barry Pepper

Synopsis
When her father is murdered by one of his hired hands Tom Chaney (Brolin), fourteen-year-old Mattie Ross (Steinfeld) hires Rooster Cogburn (Bridges) to track him down. Accompanying this unlikely duo is Texas Ranger LaBeouf (Damon) who too is trying to catch the wanted fugitive.

Review
There is no denying that the directorial career of the Coen brothers has been, for the most part, great. With the exception of their remake of The Ladykillers, you can say very positive things about the two-headed director and in the case of their latest work, praise should go towards them.

For those who have great knowledge towards westerns, particularly the John Wayne-starred films, will remember the earlier version of True Grit which is a well-loved movie. When news came that the Coens were “remaking” this classic, a negative response sprung and no matter how good the filmmakers are, the hardcore fans just hated the idea.

To be honest, having seen the original myself a few weeks ago, it wasn’t really that great, probably because having read the Charles Portis novel, the film was not without its flaws. Perhaps its biggest problem is that it was a John Wayne vehicle with a twist, in which it was the actor played a one-eyed fat man who was drinking and couldn’t get on his horse properly.

What the Coens do with their version is to go back to Portis’ novel, which is both melancholic and humorous, despite the story being a girl seeking vengeance towards her father’s cowardly killer. As in the novel which was entirely told by Mattie’s voice, the film is told through this young girl who may be fourteen, but is sharp-witted and never backs down, even with the horrors she has to face.

Even with its compelling action, it is a fairly simple revenge story, yet to how the Coens present it gives the film a fairy tale sensibility, as the story opens with Mattie’s delicate narration about the death of her father, which cuts straight to the point of what the story is going to be about.

Being their first proper western (even though No Country for Old Men had its western moments), the film retains the Coens’ sense of style, in terms of comedy and violence. Despite the grimness of a number of sequences, the Coens are able to show a poetic language to the film, with the support of the Old Western landscapes, special praise should go to cinematographer Roger Deakins.

Horribly rejected by the Oscars, the score by long-time collaborator Carter Burwell is worth a listen. Primarily using hymns for the film’s music, Burwell blends this classic church music with elements of an old-fashioned western film score, and thus we hear a beautiful soundtrack to support the strong tone of the film. If there is any moment in the film that you might weep, it would probably be at the end which features Iris DeMent’s cover of Leaning on the Everlasting Arms.

As a film which has a young girl at the centre of it, why is the lead star being nominated for the Best Supporting Actress Oscar? Previously played by Kim Darby back in 1969, the role of Mattie Ross is brilliantly handled now by newcomer Hailee Steinfeld. She not only looks the part, but captures the essence of who that character was in the book which is a young character with a sharp tongue and is not afraid of the dangers yet to come, until she gets there.

Although John Wayne won the Oscar for his portrayal of Rooster Cogburn, it was Wayne making an ass of himself, even when he jumps over a fence with his horse. Jeff Bridges mumbles his way through his performance which is not a problem because he seems to be in Lebowski-mode as he drinks and sleeps like a bum in a Chinese grocery store. Although he provides nearly all the laughs, there is distastefulness towards his character in which he almost breaks up the trio’s relationship.

One of the flaws of the original was the casting of Glen Campbell as LaBeouf, whose pretty face and straight hair was a distraction to the chilling presence of the character. Matt Damon with his pointy moustache makes him unrecognisable as he presents an uncertainty to his character, but actually lightens up with his bickering couple-like chemistry with Bridges.

Verdict
Tackling their first western, the Coens’ faithful adaptation is up there with their best work, along with strong performances, particularly by the young Steinfeld. As for those John Wayne fanatics, forget what you’ve seen before, this is a purely great film.

Post #: 34
Simply Sublime - 11/2/2011 8:14:48 PM   
C K Dexter Haven

I sincerely hope that young Hailee Steinfeld has a place set aside on her parents' sideboard for that 12" Golden statuette she will be taking home later this month.
If there is any justice in the world, and Oscar time has so often thrown up the conclusion that there isn't, then this star making turn from this remarkable young lady will be rewarded accordingly.
If there is any question about the nomination, it can only be that in every sense of the term Hailee Steinfeld is the Actress in a Leading Role rather than the Supporting category she should so rightly walk away with on Oscar night.
OK, so it's a barnstorming performance from The Dude, and despite not having a stammer or Royal blood, his Rooster Cogburn does have the Oscar credentials of a disability (one eye) and alcoholism, so steel yourselves hardy Brits if "our very own" Mr Darcy does indeed walk away empty handed on Oscar night.
Where Mr darcy stammers, The Dude slobbers and slurs incoherently - and we warm to him none the less.
This film, in my humble opinion, should also walk away with Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Cinematography (the other 'cert' for me, along with Hailee Steinfeld's win).
After all that, quite simply, this is the real deal ladies and gentlemen.
True Grit is the first Must See movie of 2011.

Post #: 35
Simply Sublime - 11/2/2011 8:14:49 PM   
C K Dexter Haven

I sincerely hope that young Hailee Steinfeld has a place set aside on her parents' sideboard for that 12" Golden statuette she will be taking home later this month.
If there is any justice in the world, and Oscar time has so often thrown up the conclusion that there isn't, then this star making turn from this remarkable young lady will be rewarded accordingly.
If there is any question about the nomination, it can only be that in every sense of the term Hailee Steinfeld is the Actress in a Leading Role rather than the Supporting category she should so rightly walk away with on Oscar night.
OK, so it's a barnstorming performance from The Dude, and despite not having a stammer or Royal blood, his Rooster Cogburn does have the Oscar credentials of a disability (one eye) and alcoholism, so steel yourselves hardy Brits if "our very own" Mr Darcy does indeed walk away empty handed on Oscar night.
Where Mr darcy stammers, The Dude slobbers and slurs incoherently - and we warm to him none the less.
This film, in my humble opinion, should also walk away with Best Picture, Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay and Best Cinematography (the other 'cert' for me, along with Hailee Steinfeld's win).
After all that, quite simply, this is the real deal ladies and gentlemen.
True Grit is the first Must See movie of 2011.

Post #: 36
RE: True Grit - 11/2/2011 11:29:51 PM   
Larry of Arabia

I really enjoyed this, my favourite film of the year so far. The most surprising thing for me, though, was that even though the performances were uniformly brilliant, I was most impressed with Barry Pepper. He was just so un-Barry Pepper-like, it took me by surprise. Admittedly I haven't seen him in much, but I couldn't sense any Barry Pepper at all in Lucky Ned, which is an achievement.

"Everything was beautiful and nothing hurt."

(in reply to C K Dexter Haven)
Post #: 37
RE: True Grit - 12/2/2011 12:25:26 AM   
adambatman82

quote:

ORIGINAL: Larry of Arabia

I really enjoyed this, my favourite film of the year so far. The most surprising thing for me, though, was that even though the performances were uniformly brilliant, I was most impressed with Barry Pepper. He was just so un-Barry Pepper-like, it took me by surprise. Admittedly I haven't seen him in much, but I couldn't sense any Barry Pepper at all in Lucky Ned, which is an achievement.

Likewise. I knew that Pepper was in it, but I didn't think of him at all whilst watching the film. That he was tackling a role so well defined by Robert Duvall in the original makes for an even more impressive achievement.

(in reply to Larry of Arabia)
Post #: 38
Sharp Script And Characters That Possess True Grit - 12/2/2011 3:07:22 PM   
Bighousewill

This film is humorous I wasn't expecting that! The Script is sharp and the acting is top grade spot on performances from Bridges, Damon and the young lady (Steinfeld) delivers an excellent performance coming across as sharp witted and head strong at just fourteen. This film has it all characters you can invest in plus action and adventure fraught with danger. I Loved every second of this excellent piece of cinema.

Post #: 39
RE: Sharp Script And Characters That Possess True Grit - 13/2/2011 9:13:47 PM   
holdemax

Maybe I'm biased, but to me this is what cinema is all about.

GREAT screenplay, direction, acting, casting

I am a Coen's fan (Burn After Reading aside), but this didn't feel like a Coen brothers movie. Their respect for the source material, and the cast they have assembled is obvious. I have a sneaking suspicion that this is as commercial they are ever going to get.

Jeff Bridges keeps getting better, after Crazy Heart that is quite a statement. The supporting cast is the real treat here though. Every character in the movie is crafted perfectly.

I agree with Angie Errigo this is darn close to perfection. I think the only reason it doesn't feel perfect is because it's John Wayne sloppy seconds. Even though in my opinion it is better than the original in every way, the Duke still casts his disapproving shadow.

Unforgiven is still the benchmark for all to strive for

deserve's got nothing to do with it

(in reply to Bighousewill)
Post #: 40
RE: Sharp Script And Characters That Possess True Grit - 14/2/2011 1:30:01 PM   
mattjtemp

I really enjoyed this film, on reflection on a 5 star scale I'd give it 4 stars. It was more of a sweeping Western than I'd anticipated from the trailer, some lovely lines in there

'if you want to kiss him it'll be alright' was quietly funny, had me giggling.

Bridges and Steinfeld were great to watch and I would agree with the comments about Pepper, it took a while before I even recognised him.

It was Damon's performance though that impressed me the most, he did the same in The Departed (where I thought his was the best performance of the ensemble), it was layered, he was funny with his vanities but never a cardboard cut out, surprising you with his competence and decency.

Good film, reminded me of The Searchers.

'I need your clothes, your boots, and your unicycle'

(in reply to holdemax)
Post #: 41
RE: Sharp Script And Characters That Possess True Grit - 14/2/2011 8:13:31 PM   
Goodfella

quote:

I really enjoyed this film, on reflection on a 5 star scale I'd give it 4 stars. It was more of a sweeping Western than I'd anticipated from the trailer, some lovely lines in there

I'll fully second that. A powerful, performance-driven film but just not quite as good as I was expecting from the Coen brothers but still an outstanding film to add to their collection.

"It is the Shawshank Redemption! Just with more tunneling through shit and less fucking redemption."

If you can quote the rules, then you can obey them.

(in reply to mattjtemp)
Post #: 42
A deep and powerful western - 14/2/2011 8:59:01 PM   
bretty

The Outlaw Josey Wales is probably my favourite western but this may come a close second. Acting of the highest standard from all involved and some lovely cinematography. It captures a time and place perfectly and will tug an emotional response from the hardest of hearts. The focus of the film is on Hailee Steinfeld, and what a fantastic job she does.

Post #: 43
RE: Truly Freakin' Amazing! - 14/2/2011 10:17:05 PM   
hatebox

I didn't love it, for some reason. It'd be unfair to call it 'No Country Lite' as the tone (and of course era) is completely different, but it was hard not to think the whole affair was a little too slight. I found myself shrugging ever so slightly when it was over.

< Message edited by hatebox -- 14/2/2011 10:22:33 PM >

(in reply to Wizzums)
Post #: 44
RE: True Grit - 15/2/2011 7:15:37 PM   
captainrentboy

I just come back from watching it, didn't think it was all that.
A tad too plodding for my tastes, it picked up at around the half way mark, but up until that point I was fairly bored with it all.
It didn't help that the girl in the main lead didn't actually impress me that much. I've read all these reviews stating how amazing she was, yet other than the fact she could robotically recite back some fairly long and complex lines of dialogue, I didn't see anything special in the acting department and could quite easily tell it was one of her first starring roles.
Jeff was alright, but the guy on the front page ruined his performance for me by saying he sounded like Scruffy the Futurama janitor, because he bloody did
Barry Pepper was great in his limited screen time, I hope he gets a lot more work off the back of this.

Anyway I'd give it 3/5.
The Coens just aren't as big a deal to me, as they are to some other movie lovers I guess.

< Message edited by captainrentboy -- 15/2/2011 7:16:04 PM >

Post #: 45
RE: True Grit - 16/2/2011 12:47:58 AM   
Qwerty Norris

It says a lot about the Coens when they're able to make such an excellent film, yet I can still feel disappointed about the resulting outcome.  

Aesthetically, there is absolutely nothing wrong with 'True Grit.' The cast are all top notch; Bridges channels his turns in both 'The Big Lebowski' and 'Crazy Heart' with the added touch of a ruthless killer to boot. Matt Damon again continues to impress as a character actor, giving the pompous Texas Ranger Le boeuf a level of sympathy that others would struggle to achieve. Then of course there's Hailee Stenfeld,   who is absolutely terrific as the vengeful youngster Mattie Ross – and even though she really should be in the leading actress category rather than the supporting one, completely deserves an Oscar in little under two weeks time from under the noses of Leo, Adams and the rest of her rivals.  

As for direction and cinematography – it's what you would expect from a Coens film. There are frequent individual scenes of absolute joy on display (look out for a specific hanging, a recently diseased hanging from a tree, a shooting competition "of sorts” and a practising dentist that could only exist in the world of the Joel & Ethan), whilst Roger Deakins continues his fine work in making everything he shoots consistently glorious to look at (specifically in a night-time scene towards the end). Even though I technically preferred Wally Pfister's work in 'Inception', surely his time has come to be acknowledged by the Academy after so many years of nominations but no actual wins?  

So why then the disappointment? Well, I'll tell you why. 'True Grit' has been described by many as another Coens classic, and given what I determine as "classic” Coens ('Miller's Crossing', 'Fargo', 'the Big Lebowski', 'No Country For Old Men' to name a few), I had exceedingly high expectations, expectations that consequently were not met.  

This I believe is down to its source material. In fairness, I haven't read the Charles Portis novel nor seen the John Wayne-led reworking – but assuming this is a faithful adaptation of that work of fiction, I cannot imagine I would be that impressed by it. For me, the best aspect of any Coen classic is being led head-on into the dark, having no genuine idea of where exactly they were going to take you or where your journey would end up. 'True Grit' on the other hand is a film where virtually every plot point is signposted and in fact, there are moments in the narrative that I would suggest as being rather weak and lazy – something that I feel is hugely unusual for them. That for me is what ultimately lets it down.  

It is without a doubt a supremely strong example of expertly made film-making, but it lacks the unpredictability, the element of surprise or the really strong narrative for it to be deemed a true classic. 

4/5

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to captainrentboy)
Post #: 46
Who else didn't enjoy the ending... - 16/2/2011 11:36:47 AM   
deza2525

A well good and beautifully shot film. the performances were all good, its amazing Hailee steinfeld is only 14 because she was the star of the show. josh brolin is funny, jeff bridges is excellent even though you can barely understand him and it has a feel of a classical story. But, this is a coens film and so i wanted to see some more violence, oddness and i din't expect and ending like this one. this would be a five star review if the ending didn't leave me a bit annoyed.

Post #: 47
RE: Who else didn't enjoy the ending... - 16/2/2011 12:47:20 PM   
Wild about Wilder

Gotta say this was an exellent retelling of Portis novel.
The Actors were all fantastic but Steinfield in her big screen debut outstanding. Don't think i'll be looking any farther than her for next years Empires Best Newcomer.
9/10

(in reply to deza2525)
Post #: 48
RE: Bit of a weird one... - 17/2/2011 11:57:45 AM   
GCH

I also find myself unsure of what I thought of this. It certainly lacks the charm and humour of the original, but its a good story and the acting is great, especially Matt Damon. The problem I have is why did they bother? This was a film made for The Duke, not The Dude, and that is why the Cogburn character is much older than the one in the book; it had to match Wayne's age at the time (61). The equivalent scenes from both movies are usually better in the original, especially the horse trading, so the Coens haven't really improved anything. I find myself irritated by the Coens' assertion that this isn't a remake, but they have 'gone back to the novel'. The novel isn't exactly a giant of American literature so why is this so amazing, but they have kept some of the features, like the eyepatch, from the Hathaway film. Why not give some credit where its due? It wouldn't diminish their achievement.
Also, 5 stars? Phantom Menace anyone?

If you can dodge traffic, you can dodge a ball

(in reply to Jezzman)
Post #: 49
RE: True Grit - 18/2/2011 6:28:39 PM   
Jackie Boy

I think it was a hugely enjoyable film, one that i would happily sit through time & time again, but i've got to agree with many of the others here, it's no 5 star movie.

< Message edited by Jackie Boy -- 18/2/2011 6:29:01 PM >

"If you're not against me,don't cross this line! If yes,do."

Post #: 50
GIVE HIM THE OSCAR..... - 18/2/2011 6:55:03 PM   
ROTGUT

and yeah I know he already won the blessed thing last year...... but who cares? Jeff bridges is God in this movie. Y-y-y-you c-c-c-an k-k-k-keep the k-k-k-kings s-s-s-speech and c-c-c-c-colin f-f-f-fuckin f-f-f-f-firth.....

Post #: 51
True Shit - 19/2/2011 12:36:27 AM   
BatSpider

I walked out after 30 minutes. How can the Coens make a hard edged masterpiece like No Country for Old Men and then dull pointless shit like this? So their worst movie is their most successful at the box office. Oscar nominated? Cinema is fucked, but that's not going to be all I'm afraid. Lack of Hollywood talent, subservient media outlets, and gormless domestic and international sheep masses have let it happen.

Post #: 52
RE: True Shit - 20/2/2011 12:05:38 AM   
jrewing1000

I enjoyed it, but as much as I'd like to have done. I have to say I was overall disappointed with this, simply because the Coen Brothers made it. Their filmography is so excellent, it makes a fairly ok film like this look poor when compared to masterpieces like Fargo, Big Lebowski and Millers Crossing.

Saying that, compared to what else there is out there at the moment, I'd still recommend it. Just not 5 stars. It was engaging, funny in places, brilliantly acted (especially the girl). The script was the standout feature. Amazing.

It looked a little dull, perhaps shot digitally? Dunno - just wasn't as rich as I'd expect.

Look forward to the Coens returning to something a little less standard next time.

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 53
- 20/2/2011 7:37:24 PM   
TheGodfather

True Grit
The new Coen brothers film is a western in wich Jeff Bridges tries to find the killer (Josh Brolin) of the father of a young girl. Together with the small but well-spoken Mattie Ross (the big screen debut of Hailee Steinfeld) he`s tries to find the man.

The two make for an interesting couple, wich is very well acted by Bridges as well as Steinfeld. Especially the latter is excellent, it looks like (even though this is only her debut) as if she has never done anything else than acting with Hollywood`s big guns. Her Oscar nomination and all the love she`s getting for it is rightfully deserved.
Living legend Roger Deakins makes the film look beautiful with wide vista`s, just like an old western.

The point where the film doesn`t hit all the marks is in the story department. It doesn`t really makes you feel involved with the whole. It also is just a little bit too slowly paced, wich sometimes makes you lose focus. Luckily, thanks to the brilliant acting this is kept down to a minimum.
All in all, this isn`t the Coens best film, but one that surely is worth the watch because of the simple fact that the seperate categories are better than the combined whole.

7,7/10

Post #: 54
Holy Grit it's good - 21/2/2011 6:47:25 PM   
oneangryman

The Coen Brothers have said that this is not a remake of the 1969 True Grit; they�ve said that it�s their version of the book. But for arguments sake I�m going to say that we have a remake better than the original.
I know it�s only February but this is film of the year so far for me and it�ll take some beating. True Grit is a powerfully moving western with some fantastic performances, brilliantly directed, shockingly tense and just an absolute joy to watch.
True Grit is the story of Mattie Ross (Hailee Steinfeld) a fourteen-year-old girl who is looking to avenge her father death by tracking down his killer.
The film starts off with Mattie looking to find a man with true grit to help her in the quest to find her father�s killer Tom Chaney (Josh Brolin). Mattie finds the drunken Marshall by the name of Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Bridges) and is persistent in getting him to help her. He doesn�t agree to anything but the stubborn young girl feels the need to make some money. This part of the film for me was its only flaw and it�s a small one at that. The start for me seemed a bit brief and vague and I felt as though if I hadn�t watched the John Wayne version then I might not have fully of understood what was going on.
After this Mattie pulls Rooster around and the two agree to go looking for Tom Chaney. The next morning Mattie is a little bit annoyed to find that Rooster has already gone without her. Mattie turns up at the Indian Territory boarder to find Rooster has left with a Texas Ranger by the name of LaBoeuf (Matt Damon).Pronounced LaBeef. This is when the movie really kicks in when Mattie shows her true grit by swimming across the river on her horse. She isn�t welcomed but the journey continues.
By far my favourite scene of the year so far comes when Rooster and Mattie are left by LaBoeuf and they come across a cabin. The two go inside and they try and get a bit of info about the whereabouts of

Post #: 55
RE: Holy Grit it's good - 21/2/2011 7:24:09 PM   
BatSpider

quote:

ORIGINAL: oneangryman

The Coen Brothers have said that this is not a remake of the 1969 True Grit; they�ve said that it�s their version of the book. But for arguments sake I�m going to say that we have a remake better than the original.
I know it�s only February but this is film of the year so far for me and it�ll take some beating. True Grit is a powerfully moving western with some fantastic performances, brilliantly directed, shockingly tense and just an absolute joy to watch.
True Grit is the story of Mattie Ross (Hailee Steinfeld) a fourteen-year-old girl who is looking to avenge her father death by tracking down his killer.
The film starts off with Mattie looking to find a man with true grit to help her in the quest to find her father�s killer Tom Chaney (Josh Brolin). Mattie finds the drunken Marshall by the name of Rooster Cogburn (Jeff Bridges) and is persistent in getting him to help her. He doesn�t agree to anything but the stubborn young girl feels the need to make some money. This part of the film for me was its only flaw and it�s a small one at that. The start for me seemed a bit brief and vague and I felt as though if I hadn�t watched the John Wayne version then I might not have fully of understood what was going on.
After this Mattie pulls Rooster around and the two agree to go looking for Tom Chaney. The next morning Mattie is a little bit annoyed to find that Rooster has already gone without her. Mattie turns up at the Indian Territory boarder to find Rooster has left with a Texas Ranger by the name of LaBoeuf (Matt Damon).Pronounced LaBeef. This is when the movie really kicks in when Mattie shows her true grit by swimming across the river on her horse. She isn�t welcomed but the journey continues.
By far my favourite scene of the year so far comes when Rooster and Mattie are left by LaBoeuf and they come across a cabin. The two go inside and they try and get a bit of info about the whereabouts of

Wrong. It's shit. BTW, your review looks kind of phoney and bizarre. Are you marketing spam for the film distributers?

"Baby, you make me wish I had THREE hands!"

(in reply to oneangryman)
Post #: 56
RE: Holy Grit it's good - 21/2/2011 8:19:18 PM   
simonmckergan1

quote:

ORIGINAL: BatSpider

quote:

Wrong. It's shit. BTW, your review looks kind of phoney and bizarre. Are you marketing spam for the film distributers?

I don't know whether  I should laugh at you or cry? Perhaps you could watch the whole film and then give it a fair review? 

< Message edited by simonmckergan1 -- 21/2/2011 8:20:16 PM >

As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL battle station!

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 57
RE: Holy Grit it's good - 22/2/2011 9:48:31 AM   
Gretzky

quote:

ORIGINAL: simonmckergan1

quote:

quote:

I don't know whether  I should laugh at you or cry? Perhaps you could watch the whole film and then give it a fair review? 

I'd cry. If he/she thinks this magnificent film is 'shit' I worry for their taste generally.

~ Formerly Ash_Boomstick
Female Film Fan

(in reply to simonmckergan1)
Post #: 58
RE: Holy Grit it's good - 22/2/2011 7:41:12 PM   
BatSpider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gretzky

quote:

ORIGINAL: simonmckergan1

quote:

quote:

I'd cry. If he/she thinks this magnificent film is 'shit' I worry for their taste generally.

Bruv, I ain't the one with a pic of Pee Wee Herman in my profile.

I generally worry for the brain cells of anyone that thinks this shit film is "magnificent".

"Baby, you make me wish I had THREE hands!"

(in reply to Gretzky)
Post #: 59
RE: Holy Grit it's good - 22/2/2011 7:49:20 PM   
sanchia

That isn't Pee Wee Herman, that is Moira Kelly.

You think it is a poor film many, many more like it. Personally I could take it or leave it, out of curiosity why do you think it is so bad? The acting, the plot, the cinematography or just not to your tastes as your earlier post seems to imply which doesn't automatically make it bad?

< Message edited by sanchia -- 22/2/2011 7:55:46 PM >

Nothing to see here.

(in reply to BatSpider)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> Go Angie Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI