Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 27/1/2011 7:45:02 AM   
DanielFullard

Went to the flicks to see this last night and in all fairness it is one of the finest films I have seen in a long time. Gripped me from start to finish with a deep, dark enaging storyline, Portman at her best since Leon and egneral just great film making

You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts. They alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that need altering.

(in reply to bamba)
Post #: 31
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 27/1/2011 10:00:51 AM   
Wild about Wilder

Thought it was a bit all over the place really lifted only by the performances of Portman, Hershey & Ryder. And as for the so called sex scenes who 1 critic said rivaled those of Mullholland Drive I say HAH! there was nothing erotic or sensual in this also it was obvious both actresses weren't sharing the scene at the same time.
An over inflated 3/5 extra point for Portman's perfomance.
( GO SEE NEDS! it's much better,needs our support & is British. )

(in reply to DanielFullard)
Post #: 32
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 27/1/2011 10:48:45 AM   
Jason Abbey

All in all a see once movie, compelling whilst being watched but liable to fall apart on repeat viewings. I spent a good deal of time wondering when Barbara Hershey had turned into Mickey Rourke. I kept expecting her to bring on the Ram Jam.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 33
RE: Black Swan - 27/1/2011 3:34:43 PM   
jrewing1000

I absolutely loved this, whilst very aware this wasn't a particularly complex or difficult film to understand.

It reaches the upper ranks of commercial art, but commercial it is all the same. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it's very entertaining and brilliantly made. Portman's performance in particular was fantastic. I particularly enjoyed Hershey's performance as the ex-ballet dancer mother. I totally believed her role.

One comment on the strange criticism for Aranofsky's camera work which baffles me! Hand held camerawork following someone has a specific purpose and it serves the film well when it was used. I don't think it's fair to judge camerawork on it's own. You should be asking what the particular shot means and is it relevant? In this case, like his extended following shots in The Wrestler, I thought it was.

Aranofsky is fast becoming one of my favourite reliable directors at the moment. As they say in the movie - bravo!!!

(in reply to Empire Admin)
Post #: 34
RE: Black Swan - 27/1/2011 10:47:08 PM   
Jackie Boy

Darren Aronofsky scandalises Natalie Portman, so say S&S in their recent review of Black Swan. I couldn't have put it any better myself. Portman's performance is oscar worthy, & the film itself is surely destined for glory.

< Message edited by Jackie Boy -- 27/1/2011 10:59:25 PM >

"If you're not against me,don't cross this line! If yes,do."

(in reply to jrewing1000)
Post #: 35
RE: Black Swan - 28/1/2011 1:18:06 PM   
Coyleone

Wow! first off Natalie Portman is amazing in this movie, it seems she was born to play this part. Secondly, this film is phenomenal! It is dark, tense, scary, mysterious, beautiful, exhillerating and the list of words could go on to describe this film. It is a masterpiece IMO and the last 30 minutes make for truly immersive amazing cinema. 5/5. My film of the year and i would love to see this pick up the award for best film at the Oscars.

(in reply to Jackie Boy)
Post #: 36
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 28/1/2011 3:55:36 PM   
jokerevo

Well I was stunned at how heavy handed and how OTT the script was. There were many unintentional laugh out loud moments and while you can see why Portman deserves her Oscar nom, Afronosky was completely off the mark tonally.

There was no need for the supernatural visuals. I get it, she's turning into the Black Swan! But do we need to see this happen visually? It's almost as if Aronofsky wanted to apologise for the Fountain and prove a point: hey I can do CGI shit too, look at this!!

The film should've concentrated on Nina's death spiral (swan dive) from white to black and would have been a lot more disturbing if it weren't for the OTT duality effects. For example the train reflections...kinda haunting. The mirror reflection of Nina scratching her back....OVERKILL.

Where was the deft touch and subtlety of the guy who directed The Wrestler?

Put it this way, can you imagine how this movie would have played out with Fincher directing?

< Message edited by jokerevo -- 28/1/2011 3:57:41 PM >

Last 5:
Season of the Witch 2/5
The Social Network 5/5 (pitch perfect)
The Next 3 days 3/5 (30mins too long. Panders to masses)
Tron: Legacy 1/5 (Starts off fine and then implodes)
The Town 3/5 (too predictable)

(in reply to bamba)
Post #: 37
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 28/1/2011 4:17:46 PM   
hatebox

^ Actually I think Aaronofsky took an otherwise very heavey handed script and made it watchable, injecting it with intentionally OTT style. 

< Message edited by hatebox -- 28/1/2011 4:18:00 PM >

(in reply to jokerevo)
Post #: 38
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 28/1/2011 5:41:54 PM   
Rgirvan44

quote:

ORIGINAL: jokerevo

Well I was stunned at how heavy handed and how OTT the script was. There were many unintentional laugh out loud moments and while you can see why Portman deserves her Oscar nom, Afronosky was completely off the mark tonally.

There was no need for the supernatural visuals. I get it, she's turning into the Black Swan! But do we need to see this happen visually? It's almost as if Aronofsky wanted to apologise for the Fountain and prove a point: hey I can do CGI shit too, look at this!!

The film should've concentrated on Nina's death spiral (swan dive) from white to black and would have been a lot more disturbing if it weren't for the OTT duality effects. For example the train reflections...kinda haunting. The mirror reflection of Nina scratching her back....OVERKILL.

Where was the deft touch and subtlety of the guy who directed The Wrestler?

Put it this way, can you imagine how this movie would have played out with Fincher directing?

The film is an opera -  and they aren't known for being subtle.

It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known.

(in reply to jokerevo)
Post #: 39
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 28/1/2011 6:43:43 PM   
Coyleone

I don't think it was OTT. The tone was perfect and i liked the supernatural stuff, We don't know if it was in her head or not, so it makes the film more mysterious. I hav'nt seen a film quite like it before either, yeah there are the comparisons to Suspiria but this is a different animal that Aaronofski has made.

(in reply to Rgirvan44)
Post #: 40
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 28/1/2011 7:01:43 PM   
Dr Lenera

Nina is a ballerina in a New York City ballet company whose life, like all those in her profession, is completely consumed with dance.  She lives with her obsessive former ballerina mother Erica who exerts a suffocating control over her.  When artistic director Thomas Leroy decides to replace prima ballerina Beth MacIntyre for the opening production of their new season, Swan Lake, Nina is his first choice, but Nina has competition in the shape of Lily, who, if Nina is the perfect fit for the White Swan, is the personification of the Black Swan.  As their rivalry becomes a strange friendship and Nina starts to get in touch with her dark side, she starts to have trouble differentiating fantasy from reality.......

It is my humble opinion that Darren Aronovsky is one of the ten best filmmakers working today.  His first three films show an escalation from excellence to sheer brilliance, with The Fountain being one of the greatest works of art the cinema had produced in a long time.  He didn't get widespread critical acclaim though until The Wrestler, though for me it was by far his least interesting film [though still very good by normal standards].  With the exception of a few dissenters, Black Swan appears to be having a similar reception, with some hailing it at as a true masterpiece, something I personally don't quite agree with.  Black Swan is fantastic filmmaking and may well end up being the best film this year [and it's only January!], but for me it does have a few problems that hold it back from being nearly perfect.  I want to emphasize that Black Swan is a very good movie, and in some ways can be seen as a compendium of Aronovsky's work to date-if this was a different movie then I may very well be raving about it-but I kind of wanted and expected more from it than I actually got.

What we basically have here is a psychological horror film merged with The Red Shoes, and make no mistake this is a horror film, right from the beginning where an incredibly uncomfortable but enveloping sense of unease is created and sustained throughout.  Even the most potentially innocuous scenes have this feeling, yet it's hard at first to put your finger on why, until one starts to become aware of a devilish but still very subtle use of sound effects. When Aronovsky manages to make a lesbian sex scene downright scary, you know one again you're watching a genius at work. The house that Nina shares with her mother feels really haunted, full of dark secrets that may manifest themselves, and Erica is the scariest mother I've seen in a long time-Hitchcock would have loved her- even though she doesn't actually do much that's nasty. There's some great David Cronenberg style body horror, as Nina's hallucinations show things like webbed feet, skin that needs to be pulled off a finger etc., but what really surprised me though were some really effective jump scares, including the freakiest bath moment since What Lies Beneath.  Aronovsky is really good at this stuff and seems totally at home with horror and horror conventions, even throwing in a really quite shocking face stabbing as well a wonderful variant on the old 'moving eyes behind picture' gag.  Of course this is also a ballet movie, and you've never seen ballet filmed like this, with a handheld camera that sweeps around and between the dances-here, the aim is not so much to appreciate the aesthetic beauty of ballet but to feel it.  This is done brilliantly without shaking the camera around or having lots of cuts that last half a second, and you can still see exactly what's going on-a lesson to a lot of other filmmakers.  As he did with wrestlers, Aronovsky is fascinated by what makes ballet dancers tick and want to do what they do, and we really get a sense of the milieu, of the rituals, and of the sheer difficulty of performing the art.  And of course the pain and physical damage-I was almost cringing when Nina was standing on her toes, so successful was the film on evoking how uncomfortable that must be, and a broken toe moment really made me recoil because it's something we can all probably relate to.  In many ways this is a ballet movie for those who wouldn't normally watch or even enjoy ballet, and yet it feels so incredibly authentic.

So what lets it down?  Well primarily, it's the script.  Almost all the characters, from the pushy mother to the young pushy upstart, are exaggerated stock types, and although that can work, I basically had trouble thinking of them as real people, with the result that, although I was dazzled by the brilliant filmmaking, I didn't actually care very much.  One good example is Thomas Leroy the director-he's such a sleazy creep and a sexual pest that I couldn't buy for a minute that Nina would want to be in the same room as him after their first encounter.  Considering the sense of authenticity and [admittedly sometimes heightened] reality in the depiction of the world of ballet, I  thought this created a severe in balance in the film. Now I love movies featuring mental breakdowns from the protagonist's point of view, so that fantasy and reality merge, and throughout the film I was reminded of quite a few previous movies such as Repulsion and The Machinist.  Nothing wrong with that, of course, but the trouble was I'd seen it all before and there wasn't enough originality to compensate, so the filmmakers decided to beat us over the head with it.  For example the mirror imagery, I simply got fed up with it after a while and felt like shouting out "Yes, Darren, I get the point”.  This movie is full on in its approach and that's great but I would have liked to see a bit of subtlety at times to balance things out.  Black Swan frankly isn't as complex as it thinks it is-the metaphors are so obvious as to almost seem a little dumb, and what on earth is it trying to say, apart from the usual stuff about the dangers of pursuing something too obsessively?  If The Red Shoes seemed to be saying that art and reality can't exist simultaneously, that you have to have one or the other, what I mainly got from Black Swan is that art needs a healthy dose of sexuality to flourish, even if it's very dangerous......which brings me to the sexual element.   Although it's there to show Nina's 'other' side, the more wild and dangerous one, surfacing, the lesbian element still feels tacked on, and, while watching Natalie Portman playing with herself is not an entirely unpleasant sight, we don't need to see it twice.

Natalie Portman is entirely deserving of the acclaim she is getting as Nina-the script doesn't give us much detail about her character, but through lots of little details she creates a spellbinding and entirely convincing portrayal of a mental breakdown, though I think the film misses a beat by showing her overly fragile even at the beginning.  Mila Kunis does a good job of perhaps the most relatable character Lily, but the two performances I liked best were a rather frightening Barbara Hershey as the mother and a surprisingly good [I've never rated her much as an actress] Winona Ryder as Beth- she really makes a mark in quite a small role, an unforgettable reminder of the facts that fame is fleeting and the old has to make way for the new.  Tchaikovsky's stirring music is superbly played and recorded, while Clint Mansell's more minimalist but extremely effective score is so cleverly interwoven with the Tchaikovsky music that even I [who consider myself very musical] sometimes had trouble telling one from the other.  Another great example of the way music can be used in a film is during a nightclub sequence, where the music playing played works well as background 'source' music and also as a commentary on what is happening and a reflection of the state of Nina's mind.  For example when she has just 'come up' on what could be Ecstasy  [though it's not made clear] and starts dancing it's 'uplifting' house music, but later when she's leaving and is emotionally a mess, very dark drum and bass is playing.  There is no doubt that Black Swan has much in it that's remarkable and Aronovsky has made another fine film [is he capable of making a bad or even an average one?].  I don't think, though, that it's quite the masterpiece that many are proclaiming it to be. 8.5/10

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to Coyleone)
Post #: 41
More tense than a ballerina's ankle - 28/1/2011 9:10:17 PM   
dahughesy

Uncomfortable, claustrophobic, disturbing. Just some of the words used to describe black swan, in my opinion. The movie is very beautiful, it looks stunning and moves just as fluidly ,in parts, as the ballerinas it describes. However, in parts it is also very shifty, sharp, sudden, as the camera almost shudders in parts.

The entire movie is just one full journey of suspense, with a twist and turn, and shock, behind every corners, and in front of every mirror. The soundtrack is also superb. It is though very hard to watch, but stick to it and I'm positive it will pay off.

Post #: 42
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 29/1/2011 2:22:27 PM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

Does every Social Network fan have to lay into the things I preferred more?

Qwerty's Top 10 of 2013 (so far)

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
9. The Place Beyond the Pines
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to jokerevo)
Post #: 43
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 30/1/2011 4:01:17 AM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwerty Norris

quote:

Does every Social Network fan have to lay into the things I preferred more?

The original post above is an ill-advised and undeserved comparison but since you've fielded it Qwerty I'd say that what you prefererred is effectively Aronofsky's cop out.  When I think of The Red Shoes for instance it's in terms of the quasi-miracle that Michael Powell achieves in capturing something as wild and formless as ballet.  I still don't know how they managed to bottle that lighting but they did.  Through more strictured camera work Powell gives you the expanse of the stage production in a very generous way.  Does he lose any of the inherent dynamism of dance by doing so?  Clearly not.  So precise camera-work does not necessarily make for a staid and incapacitated result as is seemingly suggested in Sight & Sound's feature where the writer makes snide presumption at Fincher possibly winning the director plaudit at Dazza's expense.

Black Swan on the other hand is a film through a keyhole and it doesn't try for that same generosity.  Now, I very much understand that no one said Aronofosky's film  has to be The Red Shoes, and I know no one has suggested it either wants to be or tries to be that film, but going into Black Swan the curiousity is the same.  How on earth is he going to surmount this?  The simple and all too evident  answer is that it bilks on its duty of craft and just "follows the action" in a very stripped down and rudimentary way.    It's... a cop out.  Now.  Here's the thing.  The hand-held approach can still save the film despite this seemingly outlandish statement.  Hand-held absolutely works for the psychological attrition going on within the main narrative. It's unflinchingly head-spacey and claustrophobic.  Isn't it?  Well. It is all of that. But unfortunately it's a gritty documentary pointed at a whippet-thin and obvious story.  You simply can't be that earnest about finding truth among caricatures.  Even the use of caricatures shouldn't stop this from being a good film.  Unrefined archetypes are the basis of fairly tales and treated as a modern fairy tale Nina's story would quite rightly riff on the folk anecdote of Swan Lake itself. Just... don't... film it like it's the fucking Panorama because the thriller aspect won't thrill and the ballet will look, in all retrospect, cheap and evasive. 

I fevervently believe that an immense amount of hard-work went into the creation of Black Swan.  And to prove it.  Darren Aronofsky was there to video-diary all that hard work.... made... by... other... people.

I know Qwerty you didn't want a tit-for-tat debate, and I'm not trying to start one (I think its been fairly reasonable so far).  And I'm not picking you out for the pre-emptive David Fincher backlash.  But I honestly believe that 9 times out of 10 it's really Indie Guilt talking, and when you stop and walk through it, that Indie Guilt isn't always justified.  Give me a cold calculator who is deeply unpretentious and good at his job any day of the week.   Attempts at quixotic vision will always make for more interesting Cinema but confidence without precision can make your film look pretentious.  I don't believe Black Swan is pretentious but it is ultimately a film which is too much of an "attempt".  It is "good" see-sawing on "very good".  "Excellent" is a whole other box of frogs (as Billy Connolly might say ).      

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 30/1/2011 5:48:15 AM >

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 44
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 30/1/2011 12:49:32 PM   
Deviation

quote:

But I honestly believe that 9 times out of 10 it's really Indie Guilt talking, and when you stop and walk through it, that Indie Guilt isn't always justified.

You lost me here.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to demoncleaner)
Post #: 45
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 30/1/2011 1:06:10 PM   
Qwerty Norris

Well even though I don't agree with your assessment of its “rudimentary” deficiencies, at least you make it a well informed and intelligent one. (Hell, you even managed to successfully justify your love for Inglorious Basterds - and I hated that film! )

I personally feel you’re being a little harsh on Aronofsky and given the complete difference in tone to ‘the Red Shoes’ I’m of the belief that it works and it is effective – but as I said previously, we’ll agree to disagree.
As for the Social Network grumbling – don’t get me wrong I really like that film. It just feels everywhere I turn (specifically here, Sight & Sound, various bits & pieces in the press or even emails on Wittertainment) I experience an aggressive wave of praise for that film – usually at the expense of things that made a much bigger impression on me (The ill-informed post a few ones back is testimony to that).

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

Post #: 46
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 30/1/2011 10:44:42 PM   
swan

This film was borderline late-night 'erotic thriller' tv movie shite. Such a disappointment.
I think everyone is taking pretencious crazy pills.

**its that warriors vs baseball fury element
that glitches motor sensory developement
i am a star really,**

cmyk

(in reply to Qwerty Norris)
Post #: 47
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 31/1/2011 1:23:45 AM   
thepluginbaby

I didn't mind Black Swan but I just found it a bit melodramatic in places and unintentionally funny in other parts.  Though I guess there was no other way of making this movie.

"I have come to the conclusion that my gut, has shit for brains."

"Must go faster..."

My personal blog, ToBePhair, full of frantic movie/music/video game scribblings: http://tobephair.blogspot.com/

Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ToBePhair

(in reply to swan)
Post #: 48
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 31/1/2011 8:43:57 AM   
Groovy Mule

Not an easy watch and I found the first twenty minutes quite hard going - finding Natalie Portman too glacial to sympathise with.  However, as I found myself getting swept up in the film and by the end, I would utterly enthralled.  To me, the film itself seemed to reflect Nina's own personal struggle with the skills required to capture the audience.  Starting too deliberately afraid to make a misstep (like the white swan) only to be overtaken by the increasingly out-there psychological and body horror mixed with an increasingly interesting and frantic performance from Natalie Portman (the black swan elements of the film).

There are elements of Aronofsky's greatest hits in this film (but when your past films include Requiem for a Dream and The Wrestler is that a bad thing?) - the dedication required of the dancers recalls similar scenes in The Wrestler, the theme of obsession has been consistent throughout Aronofsky's films from Pi through to The Fountain and beyond and the body horror is reminiscent of elements of Requiem of a Dream (as well as early Cronenberg).  Both Aronofsky and choreographer Millepied deserve a lot of credit for the Swan Lake scenes in which I was completely wrapped up, very interestingly shot and catching (in my opinion) exactly what it is like to be on stage and I would have quite happily sat and watched all of their ballet.  The acting is good and the actresses all seem perfect cast for their role.  Natalie Portman does come across sometimes as a perfectionist and something of a outsider, Mila Kunis imbues her character with an easy frat-girl charm and Barbara Hershey is fantastic as an increasingly frustrated stage mom who smothers her daughter with overbearing support.

9/10

< Message edited by Groovy Mule -- 31/1/2011 8:44:25 AM >

Check out my movie blog - Box Office Challenge and reviews

http://londonmovieguy.wordpress.com/

(in reply to thepluginbaby)
Post #: 49
RE: Black Swan - 31/1/2011 10:05:01 AM   
demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

But I honestly believe that 9 times out of 10 it's really Indie Guilt talking, and when you stop and walk through it, that Indie Guilt isn't always justified.

You lost me here.

Damn, I was really hoping that phrase would catch on and take off. (It's my New Year's resolution to coin a phrase).

No worries Qwerty, I think there's an element of masochism for me here because I don't think I ever argued so heavily against a film I really liked at the time.  In any event it'll take up a place in my DVD collection just by virtue of being  "a Natalie" film.

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 31/1/2011 10:07:27 AM >

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 50
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 31/1/2011 11:53:16 AM   
hatebox

quote:

ORIGINAL: swan

This film was borderline late-night 'erotic thriller' tv movie shite. Such a disappointment.

Arg, not only have you used one of the most annoying words on this board - you've misspelt it! Double arg!

But really, I think whatever Black Swan is it isn't 'pretentious'. It wears its heart on its sleeve and and relies on its emotional sweep, not its intellectual aspirations.It never pretends to be subtle or even that cerebral. I mean it's Tchaikovsky, for God's sake.

< Message edited by hatebox -- 31/1/2011 11:57:57 AM >

(in reply to swan)
Post #: 51
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 31/1/2011 2:41:00 PM   
Enyuh

I thought it was brilliant! There was no parts where I was bored at all, it was so so good. I like how I watched it a few weeks ago and I'm still trying to figure out which bits where real and which ones where in her head!

It was very awkward to watch. I did not expect it to be how it was AT ALL. It was a 15 so I guessed it would be quite innocent but I was so so wrong. The only thing that hinted to me that it was going to not be so innocent was when me and my friend were getting the bus to the cinema and we realised we didn't check what certificate it was so we went online and it was all rated 'R' so we googled what that meant and it was for 17 and over and that's when we realised.

Anyway, back on topic; I loved this film so much, it had my attention at all time and I was never bored.

Children wake up,
hold your mistake up,
before they turn the summer into dust.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 52
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 31/1/2011 3:00:19 PM   
keithyt1999

I loved it but am still wondering about the face stabbing scene in the hospital.

'Nona, Nina or neither?

None of you seem to understand, I'm not locked in here with you, you're locked in here with me!

(in reply to Enyuh)
Post #: 53
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 31/1/2011 11:59:14 PM   
swan

quote:

ORIGINAL: hatebox

quote:

Arg, not only have you used one of the most annoying words on this board - you've misspelt it! Double arg!

But really, I think whatever Black Swan is it isn't 'pretentious'. It wears its heart on its sleeve and and relies on its emotional sweep, not its intellectual aspirations.It never pretends to be subtle or even that cerebral. I mean it's Tchaikovsky, for God's sake.

Argh not only are you a dick for picking up on one misspelt letter but you're also intolerant to opinion!
Arghhhh....rage...argh..wah.

To say something like Black Swan wears its heart on its sleeve is hilarious and somewhat naive.
You need to watch more films. Or get out more.

**its that warriors vs baseball fury element
that glitches motor sensory developement
i am a star really,**

cmyk

(in reply to hatebox)
Post #: 54
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 1/2/2011 12:48:22 AM   
Deviation

Wait a second, he said the word annoys him (it annoys me too, a hell lot, but oh well who cares...) and the misspelled bit seemed light-hearted and not intolerance on your opinion. On the second paragraph he just showed disagreement.

He offered a reason on why he disagrees, it's not as if he said that you are idiot and need to watch films or get out more for thinking that.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to swan)
Post #: 55
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 1/2/2011 1:04:53 AM   
Qwerty Norris

quote:

quote:

quote:

Argh not only are you a dick for picking up on one misspelt letter but you're also intolerant to opinion!

To say something like Black Swan wears its heart on its sleeve is hilarious and somewhat naive.

Charming.....

1. Zero Dark Thirty
2. No
3. A Hijacking
4. Behind the Candelabra
5. In The Fog
6. Good Vibrations
7. McCullin
8. Beyond the Hills
10. Wreck-it Ralph

(in reply to swan)
Post #: 56
RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype - 1/2/2011 10:23:27 AM   
hatebox

quote:

quote:

quote:

Any recommendations as to where I should go, exactly? I don't have any friends and I'm terrified of the opposite sex, but I really want to understand the failings of Black Swan better...

(in reply to swan)
Post #: 57
Black Swan. - 1/2/2011 1:06:29 PM   
ashleyrhys

A funny factoid for you (about me though) is that when I was in the cinema I was just sitting there waiting for the film to start and then a woman came in with two little girls. Now, my panic set in that I was in the wrong cinema screen and that I may have been missing this film but instead it turns out she came into the wrong film. I started laughing after she asked us what's on in here and reply was "oh my God! I saw this film the other day, can you imagine if they saw this?" and I hadn't seen it but those kids would have been scarred by numerous amount of scenes. As she left the advert for No Strings Attached came on and the word "sex" came up quite a lot before she'd left. That made me think again that Natalie Portman has gone from a potentially Oscar winning performance to a terribly average RomCom with Ashton Kutcher and then a stoner comedy (which seems hilarious) with Danny McBride and James Franco so well done to her for not being typecasted and I hope she maintains this level of variety because she's a great actress.    
Well, I suppose I'm assumed to jump on the band-wagon with weirdly inept descriptions such as "hauntingly beautiful" but I won't. I did enjoy the film and I thought it was amazing but the whole description of it being "hauntingly beautiful" is completely inadequate. The only thing worse than that is getting a ballet dancer to review the film which numerous people have done. Yes, it's about a ballet dancer and is to do with ballet but it's not the main point of the film. I don't understand why people seem to have that idea.
A ballet dancer wins the lead in "Swan Lake" and is perfect for the role of the delicate White Swan - Princess Odette - but slowly loses her mind as she becomes more and more like Odile the Black Swan, daughter of an evil magician.
It's an intelligent and original film by taking the storyline of a famous ballet and using the symbolism of that story to highlight a dissection of a schizophrenic who's under stress and goes through violent changes. I don't want to spoil anything so I'll try to keep information to a minimum. If you haven't seen it yet or you're going to see it again, you should look out for all the symbolism which is in this film. There's a black swan in the background of Nina's (Natalie Portman) room and numerous references to the differences of good and evil. It's very clever, in all fairness to Darren Aronofsky.
Cast: Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis and Vincent Cassel. Directed by Darren Aronofsky.
In fairness to this film, it's pretty jumpy. I'm not going to lie and pretend I'm all manly and don't scared by films because I jump quite easily, even when I expect something. It's weird but it doesn't mean I get too scared to watch, I just jump at scenes. What I mean is, this psychological thriller is actually quite scary at parts. Not only because of bits which are made to make you jump but the thought of losing your own mind is a frightening concept if it's anything like this. I find myself checking reflective surfaces, hoping that the reflection doesn't differ from what I'm doing. I suppose the frightening realism in this film is possibly the most scary of all. I don't want to lose my mind, if I'm honest. Natalie Portman is incredible at playing both sides of her character and Mila Kunis is possibly snubbed for an Oscar considering her performance is excellent. They make it believable, and I don't mean that most films aren't believable, but I mean that I feel like I'm fully immersed in the storyline and actually just watching their life as it unfolds in a horrifically, tragic "can't look away" way. It's an extended car crash. The direction is pretty well-done but at times it's too shaky and irritating and it's a typical Aronofsky piece with a lot of cuts. Despite being a film about a woman becoming a lunatic it's all very fluid, smooth and beautiful. It's a sort of smooth, organised chaos as it disrupts and then erupts in an explosion of emotion. The soundtrack of this film is really amazing and I think I could listen to it in my spare time, quite a lot. I do have one problem with the film and this is a bit...  
SPOILER ALERT
...ambiguous. What I mean is that it's a sort of "draw your own conclusion" film which are clever but in this, it seems like it was done lazily. I mean, there is no definitive answer to any one scene because it doesn't draw one conclusion. It seems as if they couldn't decide on what they'd like to define reality and her mind as it is all in her (Nina) perspective. That's one of my only complaints because without this ambiguity and without a definitive answer it's annoying me a little because I'd rather know what happened instead of a "you decide." I'm not the director nor am I the writer and least of all am I the character that is portrayed. It's been known to annoy me just like Shutter Island and the people who claimed to know exactly what was going on from the beginning even though there's no definitive answer; Inception and "did it or didn't it wobble? Dream or not?" even though that did wobble and it wasn't a dream and so on. I can't think of any more examples at the moment. My verdict is it's a very good film and very well done but it's a tiny bit annoying at the same time. I'd rate it 9/10. Now, go see it and don't wait for the DVD release because it's amazing in the cinema with its soundtrack.

Post #: 58
RE: Black Swan - 1/2/2011 2:11:28 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: demoncleaner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

quote:

You lost me here.

Damn, I was really hoping that phrase would catch on and take off. (It's my New Year's resolution to coin a phrase).

Write a Black Swan review using nothing but Shakespeare quotations, that will probably catch on.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 59
RE: Black Swan - 1/2/2011 11:54:21 PM   
ongbakdan

Natalie Portman shines as the ballet dancer Nina, given the role of Queen Swan in a re imagining of Swan Lake. We see her as a fragile, almost teenage type figure attempting to achieve perfection when all her director of the play wants is a perfect White Swan and a Imperfect Black Swan. What we see as the film progresses is Nina seemingly getting lost in the character....or is she?? You need to watch this movie. Suprisingly moving and very well acted. I would recommend.

How far would you go to get your answers? What would you be willing to do?

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Film Reviews >> RE: a terrible movie - ignore the hype Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI