Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/1/2011 5:23:11 PM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH
1. Beauty & the Beast (Trousdale and Wise, 1991)
I've eulogised about this elsewhere, so suffice to say it's Disney's best film, and it'll take a strong contender to knock this from the number 1 spot at the end of the year. (10/10)

Second tier, for me, behind Bambi, Dumbo, Pinocchio, The Lion King and Snow White. It's still really good though.

Ah, there's not a kick in the arse between all those, really, but I've always been partial to the Beauty & the Beast fairytale, even before the film.
Besides, this month's Total Film also rates it Disney's Number 1, so that must mean I'm right. Er...mustn't it?

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 121
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/1/2011 5:28:33 PM   
elab49

Have they only seen Disney since 1990? That would be a reasonable enough call, for me. I'm very fond of Lilo and Stich, though.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 122
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/1/2011 6:36:55 PM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Have they only seen Disney since 1990? That would be a reasonable enough call, for me. I'm very fond of Lilo and Stich, though.

Think they were rating all 49 features, but only glanced at it in the shop today - think The Jungle Book was No.2 and Pinocchio No.3. Then the shop guy came over and told me to buy something or get the hell out. Made me pack up my deckchair and sandwiches and everything.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 123
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/1/2011 6:39:40 PM   
elab49

Some people simply don't understand the concept of customer service - it's a travesty.

BTW - vis a vis your signature - have you seen Boardwalk Empire? The sheriff might not be redneck enough, but he has several of the corrupt characteristics.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 124
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/1/2011 6:47:25 PM   
MOTH

It's on my list to things to see this year, and that only increases my anticipation. If only he could have been played by Clifton James....

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 125
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/1/2011 7:31:36 PM   
swordsandsandals

Disney Top 5 for me goes (although its liable to change daily, apart from the top 1) :

The Lion King
Beauty and the Beast
Mulan (I have a sentimental attachment to this film, I know its not the best)
Princess and the Frog
The Jungle Book

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 126
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/1/2011 7:33:57 PM   
elab49

quote:

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 127
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/1/2011 7:41:57 PM   
rawlinson

Disney top 5

Donald in Mathmagic Land, Fantasia, The Band Concert, Donald and the Gorilla, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad.

Edit - Bugger, forgot Goofy Gymnastics.

< Message edited by rawlinson -- 4/1/2011 7:42:39 PM >

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 128
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/1/2011 7:43:08 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Disney top 5

Donald in Mathmagic Land, Fantasia, The Band Concert, Donald and the Gorilla, The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad.

Disney did a version of Sleepy Hollow?

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 129
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/1/2011 7:44:56 PM   
rawlinson

Yup, voiced by Bing Crosby.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0041094/

Post #: 130
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/1/2011 8:48:10 PM   
Deviation

Disney Top 5

Aladdin
Bambi
Beauty and the Beast
Lilo and Stitch
The Jungle Book

You know I am right.

And Atlantis: The Lost Empire, becuase it awesome.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 131
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/1/2011 8:50:37 PM   
swordsandsandals

Lilo and Stitch? Is it honestly that good? I might check it out after How to Train Your Dragon.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 132
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/1/2011 8:53:36 PM   
rawlinson

Lilo and Stitch isn't that good.

Post #: 133
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/1/2011 8:55:47 PM   
Deviation

It's fun, it has heart and it is has some of Disney's most interesting animation (that is not Atlantis: The Lost Empire), so yeah, I love it.

I would add The Emperor's New Groove too. Just for Kronk.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

Post #: 134
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/1/2011 8:56:23 PM   
paul_ie86

1. Scott Pilgrim vs The World (Edgar Wright, 2010)
Rating: Awesome

7. The Heartbreak Kid (Elaine May, 1972)
Like Reb, I was a bit disappointed given the praise Linehan and Matthews gave it on Fr Ted night. Although it has one of my favourite lines ever.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 135
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/1/2011 11:21:25 PM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

3. The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik, 2007)

Not as OMG BRILLIANT as I had remembered it

NOOOO still high praise I guess...

But I've seen it three or four times now and its just perfectly made in every department, absolutely wonderful film.

I was really underwhelmed by it.

That's because you're a gaping asshole.

Agree with you on all your ratings of the ones you've seen though, fair play.

I just realised I haven't reserved a space this year; I really don't think I have much time for films! I'm on the last episode of the second episode of The Wire (better with every viewing) then I'm making my way through the Thick Of It/Peep Show/Summer Heights High. So no movies for me until like March.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 136
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/1/2011 11:45:55 PM   
Miles Messervy 007

quote:

Lilo and Stitch isn't that good.

You're not that good. You're not any good, in fact.

quote:

jamesbondguy:
Miles is clearly the finest film theorist of his generation

quote:

Deviation:
if it isn't ham, I'll eat a living pig.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 137
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/1/2011 12:05:47 AM   
Piles

1. Soviet Toys (1924, Dziga Vertov, Russia)
Whilst it's obviously impossible for me – or anyone really – to fully understand everything that goes on in this ten minute silent animated short, there are enough moments here to make it relevant to our own times – the money spewing out of our 'lead character's' guts, only for the bank to swallow them up being one obvious example, the soldiers manipulated to form a giant Russian Doll another (the theme of state control over free thought seems to run through the film quite often). But, for the most part, "Soviet Toys” remains almost willfully beguiling, and although that's actually quite fun I'd quite like to know why a bunch of Russian people turn into a Christmas tree at the film's finale. I love the surrealism, though, and it's quite an enjoyable – even if brief and at times confusing – experience whilst it lasts. 3/5.

2. Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999, Jay Roach, USA)
Inferior sequel to what was already a pretty poor film. Austin (Mike Myers) finds out his wife (Liz Hurley) is a fem-bot, and is obviously overjoyed at the prospect of single life again. He's sent back to the 60s to thwart Doctor Evil's (Myers again) plan to blow up the world, fall in love with a 'beautiful' American (Heather Graham) and tussle with the world's largest henchman, Fat Bastard (Myers once more). The main problem with the second Powers outing can be seen from this plot outline – this is a film that finds calling an obese Scottish man 'Fat Bastard' absolutely hilarious. Of course, it is, if you're twelve, or an idiot, which the vast majority of the people involved in making this film surely were. Worse still, it recycles a lot of poor jokes from the first film, and – of course – Roach would continue to re-iterate the very same 'humorous' moments in Powers' third outing. I really don't understand nowadays why these two sequels are even regarded as sufficient to the original film, let alone good comedies in their own right; they're basically unimaginative and base re-hashes of the same stock of jokes. Pathetic really. 1/5.

< Message edited by Piles -- 5/1/2011 12:06:05 AM >

Top 100 Moz Songs / Top 100 Films

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 138
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/1/2011 12:10:22 AM   
TRM

4. Black Christmas (1974) - I watched half of this before watching the scream trilogy, and the final half this morning. It probably suffered due to this. I wasnt originally thinking so much about the rules of the slasher film, and instead just enjoyed the set up and the fairly well done first person shots of the first couple of deaths, showing that Clark didnt feel the need to rely on the cheap shocks in the background the a lot of horror films do. However when I came back to it, I was thinking too much about it followed the rules of the horror film, and picking apart the more obvious flaws of the film (the most inept police in cinema, the fact that the murders are so loud that the girls would be able to hear the killings without the phone, the ridiculous ending). Also, as far the christmas hof, it didnt really make that much of a use of the christmas setting, and could have taken place at any holiday. 7/10

5. Megamind - This could have been great, but there were a few things which have gone wrong along the way. There are far too many jokes aimed at the adult audience (the constant Brando impression being the most obvious), the voices dont match the characters all that well (and Jonah Hill still manages to annoy me even without being on the screen), the pace the storyline moves along at as well as the constant changing of sides could alienate some of the younger viewers, and the joke hit rate. Its such a shame as a little more care, and this could have been one of the animations of the year. - 6/10

8. Love and other drugs - Overlong, too much advertising and a brother with a story that doesnt make any sense were the main problems with this fairly run of the mill romcom. - 5/10

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Miles Messervy 007)
Post #: 139
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/1/2011 12:16:38 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM
Also, as far the christmas hof, it didnt really make that much of a use of the christmas setting, and could have taken place at any holiday. 7/10

Says the man who nominated Die Hard.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 140
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/1/2011 12:19:48 AM   
TRM

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM
Also, as far the christmas hof, it didnt really make that much of a use of the christmas setting, and could have taken place at any holiday. 7/10

Says the man who nominated Die Hard.

I made my argument for the use of Christmas in Die Hard

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 141
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/1/2011 1:08:49 AM   
Rhubarb

TRM's being a bit generous about Love and Other Drugs (Click!)

< Message edited by Rhubarb -- 5/1/2011 1:17:02 AM >

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 142
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/1/2011 1:42:19 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

quote:

Disney top 5

That is an awesomely excellent top 5. Beauty and the Beast is better than all of them though.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 143
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/1/2011 1:49:18 AM   
rawlinson

Nah. The very best Disney was a tape I had when I was a kid, the first half was Ichabod and Mr. Toad and the second half was A Disney Halloween, all clips from Fantasia, The Old Mill, Donald and the Gorilla, Pluto's Judgment day, etc.

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 144
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/1/2011 2:04:48 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

A Disney Halloween, not seen that in years. The Old Mill is magnificent.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 145
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/1/2011 7:16:39 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Features

4. Bee Movie (1st view, 2007, Steve Hickner/Simon J. Smith) - 4/5*
More enjoyable than most of the animated films from Dreamworks, with perhaps a greater emphasis on story and jokes than pop culture gags and big names.

Shorts

I had a great time last year looking up old cartoons on youtube, and this year my great aim is to work my way through all the films that have been nominated for the Best Animated Short Oscar. I've seen a great many of them before, but there's also a lot I haven't even heard of. I was going to start a thread but that'd be boring for everybody, so I'll just list them in here as I go. Starting with those from 1932...

1. Flowers and Trees (1932, Burt Gillett)
Brilliant Disney cartoon from the Silly Symphonies series and easily deserving of the Oscar. Not seen it in years, despite owning the first Sillly Symphonies DVD set. I really need to try and work thought them as well.

3. Mickey's Orphans (1931, Burt Gillett)
Mickey, Minnie and Pluto find and abandoned basket filled with kittens, who wreak havoc in the house during christmas. Had I seen it a few weeks back, I probably would have voted for this in the Christmas poll.

5. It's Got Me Again (1932, Rudolf Ising)
An early Merry Melodies cartoon in which a group of mice sing, dance and play musical instruments, only to be attacked by a cat.

Much more better!

Post #: 146
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/1/2011 9:25:05 AM   
Deviation

The Junky's Christmas (Nick Doncin, Melodie McDaniel, 1993, USA, Short Film)- 4/5

A curious claymation with William S. Burroughs narrating the titular story from his novel, Interzone. Told in a manner that spoofs most Christmas specials of its kind, the tale involves the Christmas day of a Junkie just released from a 72 hour stay in a police jail. It is beautifully crafted, quite sensible and sweet (yes, you have just read that) in tone and hearing Burroughs narrating is always a joy.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 5/1/2011 9:27:04 AM >

quote:

quote:

Post #: 147
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/1/2011 9:44:58 AM   
MOTH

Scott Pilgrim Vs the World (Edgar Wright, 2010)
Some really fun and funny stuff going on here, even if it feels like an extended episode of Spaced. Pity the central story revolved around the drippy Ramona and the intensely irritating Scott Pilgrim, though - I'm sure I wasn't the only one that wanted the World to win. Still, the rest of the cast are good value. (8/10)

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 148
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/1/2011 10:15:39 AM   
Pigeon Army

06. Conspiracy Theory (1997, Richard Donner, USA) - 3/5
There's something delightfully tongue-in-cheek about the majority of Conspiracy Theory. Like Capricorn One, the idea of conspiracies actually being real is fully embraced by Donner and Helgeland and given a sort of bizarre life that pokes fun at the concept on a regular basis - at one point, a computer program that scans book purchases in New York throws up The Catcher in the Rye, leading a mysterious armed force travelling in silent black helicopters to Mel Gibson's character on the basis of pure coincidence, and leading to a great shot where Gibson sees the helicopter hovering 20ft above the street and dropping troops in a window, something nobody else on the street seems to notice because the helicopter is 'silent'. Gibson and Stewart add to this comic absurdity with their performances, Gibson's unhinged conspiracy nut and Stewart's comic-book villain complementing the film's initial approach to conspiracy theories in general. However, the film's undoing is how gutless it truly is in pursuing that absurdity to the end - rather, the film becomes increasingly serious as it goes on, Gibson's character serving more as blithe comic relief to counterpoint an actual conspiracy that's half-assed and treated with unnecessary gravitas. This really could've been a great action comedy if Helgeland hadn't thought a dodgy romantic element and a generic ending were what the film needed. As it is, it's alright - enjoyable but disposable.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

Post #: 149
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/1/2011 10:38:14 AM   
rick_7

*SOME SPOILERS*
"Through the forest I carry the mail/Singing better than a nightingale/As great a lover as postman/And particular friend of the mighty Tarzan."
8. Tarzan and the Mermaids (Robert Florey, 1948) - The last, and by far the least, of the Weissmuller Tarzans. It's stultifying, truth be told, with a risible storyline utilising a hammy George Zucco, and an inexplicable number of terrible songs (please see above), crooned by John Laurenz. The only brightspots are the snippets of Robert-Florey-does-Robert-Flaherty faux-documentary footage, some decent underwater photography, a bit where loads of stuntmen leap off a cliff and the unexpected octopus duel (it won't be unexpected anymore; sorry). The remaining 61 of the 64 minutes consist of Tarzan swimming and people getting into and out of boats (calling to mind that famous review of They Were Expendable; alas, the similarities end there), as well as those bloody songs. Even Johnny Sheffield and the decent Cheetas had buggered off by this time. RKO's revival of the popular MGM series ultimately created one minor classic of its kind (Desert Mystery), two enjoyable timewasters (Triumphs and Huntress), a pair of iffy, cheesy romps and this dud. (1.5)

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 5/1/2011 10:42:36 AM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI