Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/1/2011 2:01:10 PM   
Deviation

The White Ribbon (Micheal Haneke, 2009, GER/AUS/FRA/ITA)- 5/5

First film of the year, and what a start. Haneke's tale of quiet seething evil in a Pre-WW1 German town is an unsettling horror drama with some great child and adult performances (Burghart Kluabner, Rainer Bock and Leonie Benesch) all round, beautiful and oppressive B&W cinematography, solid direction and a truly tense, foreboding atmosphere throughout. It's a showcase of all the positives one can find in Haneke's work and more than a great comeback for the filmmaker who had just released his worst and most misjudged film previous to this. The mystery behind the crimes and the thematic element of the film remain opaque throughout and most of the characters are terrible human being to say the least, but they never make the film unwatchable or a slog, and all of it often proves itself to be well written, solidly told and well executed, the biggest flaw of the entire thing being some horrible CGI at the start of the film.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 2/1/2011 2:02:34 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 61
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/1/2011 3:53:38 PM   
Rinc

First of the year:

1. Forgetting Sarah Marshall (Nicholas Stoller, 2008) - 6*
Not bad actually and quite funny in places.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 62
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/1/2011 4:35:28 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

First film of the year, and what a start. Haneke's tale of quiet seething evil in a Pre-WW1 German town is an unsettling horror drama with some great child and adult performances (Burghart Kluabner, Rainer Bock and Leonie Benesch) all round, beautiful and oppressive B&W cinematography, solid direction and a truly tense, foreboding atmosphere throughout. It's a showcase of all the positives one can find in Haneke's work and more than a great comeback for the filmmaker who had just released his worst and most misjudged film previous to this. The mystery behind the crimes and the thematic element of the film remain opaque throughout and most of the characters are terrible human being to say the least, but they never make the film unwatchable or a slog, and all of it often proves itself to be well written, solidly told and well executed, the biggest flaw of the entire thing being some horrible CGI at the start of the film.

One of my Top films of 2009, in fact it was my Best Film Released in 2009, I haven't watched it since but I hope to watch it on Blu-Ray in the coming weeks.

Yes, always.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 63
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/1/2011 6:12:36 PM   
Rebenectomy

First up,

Moon (Jones, 2009) 4/5

A greatly accomplished film that flowed easily and barely seemed to flag, with some stunning, old school space visuals and a fine central performance from Sam Rockwell. I really enjoyed it and the only things that prevented me from giving it the full 5/5 was that some aspects of the story were a little predictable and for me the score was flat and uninspired. Despite these little quibbles, it was still a great way to start the film viewing year.

< Message edited by Rebenectomy -- 2/1/2011 6:14:42 PM >

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 64
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/1/2011 7:59:58 PM   
paul_ie86

Aw, the score is one of my favourite parts of the film. Glad you liked it though

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 65
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/1/2011 9:26:35 PM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

One of my Top films of 2009, in fact it was my Best Film Released in 2009, I haven't watched it since but I hope to watch it on Blu-Ray in the coming weeks.

And just for some balance, it was one of my Bottom films of 2010 - it had the photography to thank for keeping it out of the relegation places.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 66
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/1/2011 11:13:49 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Well gosh, but Gulliver's Travels is shit.

That deep-browed Homer ruled as his demesne.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 67
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/1/2011 11:17:57 PM   
elab49

Your finding a crap release at the beginning of January could become a tradition

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to homersimpson_esq)
Post #: 68
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/1/2011 11:21:03 PM   
homersimpson_esq

Gosh, you're not wrong you know.

2009 - The Spirit
2010 - Ninja Assassin
2011 - Gulliver's Travels

So far, 2010 is winning/losing, depending on your viewpoint.

Bristol Bad Film Club
A place where movie fans can come and behold some of the most awful films ever put to celluloid.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 69
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/1/2011 11:29:43 PM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Your finding a crap release at the beginning of January could become a tradition

It's hardly 'finding' if you're going to a major studio release with toxic word of mouth.

I bet it was because of your kids, right, Homie?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 70
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/1/2011 11:34:58 PM   
Deviation

Yeah sure, blame it on the kids....

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 71
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/1/2011 11:36:27 PM   
homersimpson_esq

quote:

quote:

It's hardly 'finding' if you're going to a major studio release with toxic word of mouth.

Yes, but I can only blame them for this year's travesty.

And I think the 'finding' was the turn of phrase meaning that I'm finding it is becoming a tradition, rather than finding the films themselves.

Bristol Bad Film Club

Post #: 72
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/1/2011 12:03:48 AM   
elab49

Absolutely - I'm still steadfastly avoiding Ninja Assassin. Maybe if it turns up on Sky and I literally have nothing else to do. That's about the effort I'd put into it.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 73
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/1/2011 12:05:07 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: homersimpson_esq

Yes, but I can only blame them for this year's travesty.

Your son likes 2001, that's a terrible excuse.

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 3/1/2011 12:17:48 AM >

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 74
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/1/2011 2:14:04 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

Features

4. The Break Up (1st view, 2006, Peyton Reed) - 3/5*
Satisfactory

Shorts

2. Wasp (2003, Andrea Arnold)
And that's the closest Danny Dyer will ever get to an Oscar.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

Post #: 75
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/1/2011 2:40:09 AM   
Gram123

A new number one! 

001) Iron Man 2  (Jon Favreau, USA, 2010, BD) - 6.5

Nowhere near as bad as I was expecting after hearing quite a lot of negatives. It's a comic book movie, and it felt very comicy in places. Can't really complain about that. It's not The Dark Knight, but neither is it The Fantastic Four. It was, admittedly, very RDJ.

I think the biggest negative for me was Rhodey being played by a different actor. Oh, and the pic of Ed Norton in the Avengers file extra thingy points to what should have been, but unfortunately will not transpire.
Scores only marginally lower than the first Iron Man film.

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 76
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/1/2011 2:47:37 AM   
Gram123

Oops, nearly forgot...
Stand ups:

001) Ricky Gervais Live 4: Science  (UK, 2010, DVD) - 5.5
A bit of a disappointment, and certainly the weakest of his stand up shows so far. Too much real / affected arrogance, and he came too close to dipping his toe in the Frankie Boyle pool of offensive-but-not-funny comedy.

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 77
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/1/2011 10:24:09 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

3. Ladyhawke (2nd view, 1985, Richard Donner) - 4/5
I think there were only three decent fantasy films made in the 80s. Despite starring Rutger Hauer, this is one of them.

4. Clue (1st view, 1985, Jonathan Lynn) - 3/5*
Colonel Mustard with the candlestick in the library. That's always the outcome whenever I play Cluedo anyway, and the average game of Cluedo is generally more entertaining than this. But it is still fun, especially when Tim Curry takes the lead.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 78
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/1/2011 10:35:21 AM   
Rebenectomy

Groundhog Day (Ramis 1993) 5/5

Still laugh out loud funny in parts despite multiple views and Bill Murray is outstanding, more than makes up for the fact that just FUCKING HATE ANDIE MCDOWELL, I HATE HER. Plus this latest viewing revealed that Michael Shannon (aka Agent Van Crazy Pants from Boardwalk Empire) has a before they were famous bit part as the newly wed Fred.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

Post #: 79
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/1/2011 10:51:15 AM   
Pigeon Army

01. The Insider (1999, Michael Mann, USA) - 4.5/5
It's not often a film actually inspires in me an intended sense of moral outrage - I think the last one was Gasland back in July - but while watching The Insider, I could find myself reacting to the events on screen in no other way. It has in its favour the virtue (or crutch, depending on your viewpoint) of being based on a true story, and not just any true story - one so filled to the brim with morally reprehensible, unethical, unprincipled behaviour by fair-weather moralists that it's almost enough to make one want to get out of their chair and slap a journalist. The very nature of the narrative means that it's easier to get involved in what's happening on screen, easier to avoid questions about craftmanship because this shit actually happened, and for shit of this calibre -  news agencies being told what stories to run by corporations with deep pockets; corporations deliberately endangering lives for the purpose of bigger profits; people actively threatening those who stick by their principles with redundancy, poverty and death - to actually happen is something unbelievable, something reprehensible, something that (at least for me) touches a whole bundle of nerves and gets me vocally angry. That said, though, Mann has crafted a fantastic film, one filled with brilliant performances, a strong human edge and an immediacy that is almost necessary of films such as this. Pacino does excellent work as Lowell Bergman, even if he is deified to a bit of an absurd degree, and Crowe displays the kind of talent he's left on the backburner for a whole decade as Jeffrey Wingard, the neurotic and quiet whistleblower left out to dry in favour of corporate interests. Even without Big Tobacco reps forcing themselves into every scene, Pacino and Crowe force their ominous presence into every scene, their sense of doing good gradually replaced by desperation and despair as Big Tobacco works the scene, almost to the point where you can see every little move that they've manipulated and how. It's a chilling piece of work whose urgency is matched by its craftsmanship, and overblown musical cues aside, it delivers an underdog tale whose sincerity makes every familiar beat seem fresh and confrontational.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 80
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/1/2011 12:02:25 PM   
TRM

2. Mean Girls - One of the better teen films of recent years. 7/10
3. Scarface (Hawks) - I still dont get what all the fuss is about with Hawks. Sure it looks good, and has some fantastic set scenes, but this isnt anywhere near as good as the other renowned gangster films of the 30s. Better than the DePalma though - 6/10

shorts
1. Signs - Uses the same tricks as a lot of modern live action short films, in that the music is the main way the film tries to create the emotion, the look of the film is very clean, and the dialogue is far from the most important part. Its very cheesy and pretty obvious, but the way the relationship builds made me smile. - 7/10 - Has anyone seen Patrick Hughes feature film debut yet? (Red Hill)
2. Superman - It sets up the character pretty well, but at expense of a good set piece and very little focus on the villain. I hope the rest of the Fleischer films are better. - 6/10
3. A Charlie Brown Christmas - I dont get the love for Charlie Brown at all. Every character is so unlike able the whole way through, and there isnt even a decent pay off at the end for this. - 5/10

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 81
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/1/2011 12:53:49 PM   
matty_b

The Incredible Hulk (Lois Leterrier)

Leterrier's sequel/remake/reboot/reimagining/whatever of Ang Lee's take on the Marvel superhero is probably better than you'd expect, with some decent sequences of carnage, but ultimately pretty empty and forgettable. The problem is that it struggles, like a lot of superhero films, to tell anything original. It becomes pretty rote and ends with two huge CGI creations slugging each other across screen which we've all seen many a time now. The cast is pretty lifeless and like Lee's film, it fails to create a real emotional connection between Bruce Banner and the Hulk itself - you never, ever feel that they are one and the same character. (3/5)

Buck Privates (Arthur Lubin)

An interesting oddity, this Abbot and Costello film. They play a couple of shady salesman who end up enlisting in the army alongside the Andrews Sisters (providing musical numbers throughout) and two other soldiers - one of whom used to be the other's butler - who end up fighting over the same woman. It's pretty amusing stuff, featuring their famous craps routine, but is more noteworthy as a piece of pure propaganda with one of the songs extolling the values of the constitution and army life. (3.5)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 82
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/1/2011 4:21:55 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

3. A Charlie Brown Christmas - I dont get the love for Charlie Brown at all. Every character is so unlike able the whole way through, and there isnt even a decent pay off at the end for this. - 5/10

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 83
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/1/2011 4:23:15 PM   
TRM

4. Star Trek: Nemesis - Its a shame to see the films had dropped to this level. The others are fun/tense/exciting/shows the relationships between the characters. This doesnt. Shinzon is a really good villain, and the reveal is fantastic, but did the whole film really need to develop into the one on one mid space battle that it became? - 5/10

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 84
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/1/2011 4:25:43 PM   
TRM

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

I had given up on Charlie long ago, but I wanted to finish the imdb top 50 shorts this year. Which sadly means there is another to come

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 85
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/1/2011 4:37:29 PM   
swordsandsandals

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (2010, Edgar Wright

A magnificent way to start the new year, and to think my first film of the year could've been Hancock.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 86
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/1/2011 8:10:43 PM   
Dr Lenera

I watch so many bloody films that there's no way I'm going to try and review them all, but I post short reviews of the new releases I see in the 'Films of 1011' thread and the review threads of each film.  Anyway, to start this year......

The Karate Kid-8/10-Still one of the best surprises of last year, really enjoyable [if a tad overlong], and blows the crap out of the original film
Dr. Dolittle ['68]-FW-7/10-Way overlong, and Rex Harrison's non-singing is really annoying, but a fun family movie in the live action Disney style
Re-animator-7/10-Comic horror gets better and crazier as it goes along, I find it helarious at times, but I'm a sick puppy.

FW indicates first viewing.

check out more of my reviews on http://horrorcultfilms.co.uk/

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 87
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/1/2011 8:52:45 PM   
MOTH

There was me, that is MOTH, and my list, that is the films, and I sat in the Empire Forum trying to make up my rassoodock what order to put them in...

1. Beauty & the Beast (Trousdale and Wise, 1991)
I've eulogised about this elsewhere, so suffice to say it's Disney's best film, and it'll take a strong contender to knock this from the number 1 spot at the end of the year. (10/10)

2. Iron Man (Jon Favreau, 2008)
Strong and striking in parts, but lacks any real heart. So a bit like Iron Man himself really. (7/10)

3. Forgetting Sarah Marshall (Nicholas Stoller, 2008)
Overlong and mostly forgettable. Still one or two funny lines, though, and Mila Kunis is a lovely girl (5/10)

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 88
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/1/2011 8:56:26 PM   
rawlinson

Only three days into the year and already I'm behind on reviews, a strong couple of days though.

Breaking Glass (1980; Brian Gibson)

Hazel O'Connor starts a band in post-punk England, helped by cocky but caring manager Phil Daniels, but she soon compromises her integrity when the big time comes calling. Everyone involved in The Runaways should have watched this as a lesson in how to make a rock movie. One of the great, near-forgotten British movies of the early 80s, would make a great double-bill with Babylon. Phil Daniels strolls away with the film.

A Page of Madness (1926; Teinosuke Kinugasa)

Hallucinatory Japanese silent. A man takes a job as a janitor at an insane asylum to be close to his imprisoned wife. The sudden leaps between realism and the rapid, bizarre visuals are meant to disorientate the viewer and conjure up the atmosphere of the asylum and show the world as seen by the mentally ill. It's a masterclass in the use of montage and the effects are still startling nearly 90 years after it was made. Basically a masterpiece.

I Was Born, But... (1932; Yasujiro Ozu)

Another silent Japanese classic. Two young brothers find their respect for their father tested when they see how the upstanding man is willing to play the clown for the amusement of his boss. It's a charming film that captures the worldview of children perfectly, in the way they deal with the bullies and in their game-playing. It's also a strong statement on class structure and the way that the hierarchies of the playground can carry on into the workplace. Ozu does well to avoid falling into the kind of cheap sentiment that would be easy for this kind of film. There are life lessons, but they're never hammered home. Rather wonderful.

(in reply to Dr Lenera)
Post #: 89
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/1/2011 9:07:37 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

There was me, that is MOTH, and my list, that is the films, and I sat in the Empire Forum trying to make up my rassoodock what order to put them in...

1. Beauty & the Beast (Trousdale and Wise, 1991)
I've eulogised about this elsewhere, so suffice to say it's Disney's best film, and it'll take a strong contender to knock this from the number 1 spot at the end of the year. (10/10)

Every time you post on here you go up in my estimation.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI