Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 Page: <<   < prev  214 215 [216] 217 218   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 12:04:34 PM   
matty_b

Scream 4 (Wes Craven)

Really, what's the point of this series anymore? Does Williamson's endless wittering about rules actually impress anyone these days? The subtext becoming the text seemed fresh and interesting back for the original, but now reads like the gibberings of an old geek desperately trying to prove his relevance, such as the ball-achingly tedious and awful scene of the killer (who gives a terrible, terrible performance) explaining, at length, their motivation for restarting the Woodsboro murders. Craven's tired use of gigantic musical stings and people standing behind doors to be suddenly revealed is also tired and rote and doesn't bring an ounce of fresheness to the table.. I think the smugness and arrogance of the film is most apparent in the scene where Hayden Pantierre's "geek" revels in the fact that she owns both Suspiria and Don't Look Now. Wow, two really underground classics there - she truly does know her stuff (sarcasm, lol). Aside from an admittedly interesting opening sequence, there's absolutely nothing new here. (2)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 6451
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 12:06:24 PM   
rick_7

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Scream 4 (Wes Craven)

Really, what's the point of this series anymore? Does Williamson's endless wittering about rules actually impress anyone these days?

Rules lol, that guy is awesome.

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

Blog: DJANGO! DUMBO! DESPICABLE ME 2! Plus: other stuff.

"Nothin's really been right since Sam the Lion died."

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 6452
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 12:11:10 PM   
rick_7

Is Kristen Bell given much to do, incidentally?

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 6453
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 1:19:07 PM   
matty_b

Er...how to say this without it being a spoiler?

No.

quote:

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 6454
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 1:32:47 PM   
Pigeon Army

Matty_b why have you given Scre4m two stars when it is objectively a four star film you idiot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 6455
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 1:37:52 PM   
matty_b

Hey, would there be a thread around here somewhere where I could discuss such a concept?

quote:

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 6456
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 1:48:03 PM   
Pigeon Army

Probably. Maybe in Movie Musings, that's where all the shit discussion happens.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 6457
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 1:57:30 PM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: rick_7

As Gimli implies, they were each shot as three-hour films first (and the latter parts not originally intended for theatrical release), that looks the way to go. Part 2 sounds great regardless; hopefully the third one will play better in that form.

Hadn't realised such extensive cuts had been made - i'd just assumed the extended versions were a Ridley-Scott-put-in-extra-stuff-and-pray-it-makes-things-better sort of approach. Part 3 could definitely benefit from a bit more time to tell the story.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to rick_7)
Post #: 6458
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 1:58:08 PM   
MonsterCat

quote:

Scream 4 (Wes Craven)

Really, what's the point of this series anymore? Does Williamson's endless wittering about rules actually impress anyone these days? The subtext becoming the text seemed fresh and interesting back for the original, but now reads like the gibberings of an old geek desperately trying to prove his relevance, such as the ball-achingly tedious and awful scene of the killer (who gives a terrible, terrible performance) explaining, at length, their motivation for restarting the Woodsboro murders. Craven's tired use of gigantic musical stings and people standing behind doors to be suddenly revealed is also tired and rote and doesn't bring an ounce of fresheness to the table.. I think the smugness and arrogance of the film is most apparent in the scene where Hayden Pantierre's "geek" revels in the fact that she owns both Suspiria and Don't Look Now. Wow, two really underground classics there - she truly does know her stuff (sarcasm, lol). Aside from an admittedly interesting opening sequence, there's absolutely nothing new here. (2)

You're punishing good film-making, Matthew.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 6459
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 1:59:04 PM   
elab49

I'd almost forgotten about that thread

2 seems rather high to me. It also seems quite high given your review Matty? There was pretty much only one bit I quite liked (in a hospital room), but apart from that it's skirting the very bottom of my list for the year.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

Post #: 6460
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 2:01:47 PM   
matty_b

I know, I was toying with a 1.5 rating for it, but I try to leave that for the very worst dreck I see, which this isn't. As I say, I do like the opening, and yes, the wrap-up at the hospital was quite satisfying. But it really wasn't far off the bottom rating at all.

quote:

quote:

Scream 4 (Wes Craven)

You're punishing good film-making, Matthew.

What can I say, I'm a monster who only likes films that are designed to win Oscars.

quote:

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 6461
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 6:06:53 PM   
Deviation

You are a true enemy of film. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 6462
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 6:09:03 PM   
matty_b

I hate film.

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 6463
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 6:10:20 PM   
Rhubarb

I thought Scream 4 was ok in a slightly dissapointing but still better than 3 kind of way when I saw it, but it hasn't really stayed with me at all, so maybe its less good that the glee i felt at watching a Scream at teh cinema, I'm not sure.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 6464
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 6:12:15 PM   
rawlinson

I'm ok with Scream 4, but I did like it less second time around. It's better than 2 or 3, I think.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 6465
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 6:16:11 PM   
Rhubarb

Yeaaah. I like Scream 2, but it does have that problem that it knows everyone is going to be second guessing it, so its not as confident as the first film.

Team Ginge
WWLD?

quote:

ORIGINAL: FritzlFan

You organisational skills sicken me, Rhubarb.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 6466
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 6:24:16 PM   
rawlinson

Yeah, lack of confidence is a good description I think. It all feels oddly flat when the first one was so energetic and fun. My biggest problem with Scream 4 is that so much of it feels like an old man trying to write a film for teenagers. David O'Doherty does a bit in his latest tour where he's talking about stand-ups in their 40s playing university gigs "I know what you kids like - Fax machines!" and Scream 4 feels a little like that.

(in reply to Rhubarb)
Post #: 6467
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 8:54:03 PM   
Rebenectomy

Catwoman (Pitof, 2004) 1.5/5

Aye it was shite.

Body Hair Beautiful: An Armpits for August Special
http://www.lipstogetherandblow.com/2013/07/body-beautiful.html

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 6468
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 8:56:35 PM   
elab49

Who's arguing? Bring 'em here!

What did it get 1.5 for?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 6469
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 9:01:50 PM   
Rebenectomy

I actually quite liked the first 15-20 mins minutes before she turned into Catwoman, to such an extent that I was foolishly thinking 'well it's not as bad as I'd been led to believe'. Pre-cat Patience actually made a likeable character.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6470
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 9:03:46 PM   
elab49

I don't think she can really act worth toffee, so even that's a problem for me. 

quote:

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 6471
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 9:23:07 PM   
Rebenectomy

Oh she's rubbish, don't get me wrong, but slightly less offensively rubbish in the opening scenes. I'm hopeful that one day we'll get a decent Catwoman, either in a Batman film or on her own terms, but we may be waiting a while.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6472
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 11:43:40 PM   
Deviation

OMG WHAT'S THIS MORE UPDATES NO WAY

Kanal (Andzrej Wajda, 1957, POL)- Quite possibly the most harrowing, brutal, unforgiving, devastating and terrifying war film I've seen since Come and See. Set during the Warsaw Uprising, some of the last remnants of the Polish Resistance, now alone from any other ally they could have ever had and only with a low number of soldiers left, are forced to evade the Nazis by going into the labyrinthine sewers of Warsaw only for all of them to slowly die of starvation, fatigue, hunger and sickness in the shit-filled sewers of Warsaw. The last sentence was not exactly a spoiler btw, the opening narration that introduce our protagonists by mentioning their roles claims it outright, so the whole movie becomes about how our doomed-from-the-start protagonists will die slowly. CHEERY STUFF. Wajda's film in the first half has some problems with the character development, as most characters seem to be lacking a proper personality above what was mentioned at the start. That however changes as the film goes along as they gain more back-story or actions to do to see who they really are, making their demise all the more painful. Wajda basically created one of the scariest, most disturbing horror movies I've ever seen. The horror element is where it is the most effective, the sewers themselves are filmed as if they were a Gothic hell (helped by a very clever allusion made by one of the characters). A harrowing war film with some great performances, perfect direction and cinematography and a very sad story about one of the most tragic events of WW2.

(5/5)

Becket
(Peter Glenville, 1964, UK/USA)- It has some dubious historical accuracy but when a movie is so engaging or entertaining, I'll care little for that. Focusing on the relationship between King Henry II and the Archbishop Becket, it is filled with themes of friendship (that are almost on homoerotic levels), ambiguous medieval politics and duty, as the once very close friends become political enemies. Superbly acted, written, directed and always entertaining throughout its two hour and a half-running time.

(5/5)

Cria Cuervos (Carlos Saura, 1976, SPA)- Fantasy and reality mix in Saura's sad take on childhood, as an orphaned girl has to deal with the death of her parents and becomes fascinated with death, to the extent that she wants to murder her aunt. Starring the sweet Ana Torrent (also seen in the equally melancholic Spirit of the Beehive three years earlier) as the lead orphaned child, it's an interesting take on the damned thing we know as childhood with some fantastic performances, fantastic script and direction by Saura and a smashing tune by Jeanette. Porque te vas, todo las promesas de mi amor seran contigo....

Also, apparently the film has some criticism on Franco's regime, damn me if I know what they are.

(5/5)

No Man's Land
(Danis Tavonic, 2001, B&H/FRA/ITA/SLO/UK/BEL)- An allegorical tale tale on the Bosnian War that criticizes NATO inability to intervene, the media handling of it, both sides of the conflict (Serbs and Bosnians, though it criticizes the Serbs more) and also calls back a time when both countries where one (well what was left of Yugoslavia). Basically, three men are stuck in a trench in NML, two Bosniaks and a Serb, with one of the Bosniaks lying on a mine. They become a sensation when a reporter finds out about them. It's darkly humorous at times, the characters are interesting and it is tragic. It's also a success and an effective allegory on the Bosnian War, well done Tanovic. 

(5/5)

The Bad and the Beautiful
(Vincente Minelli, 1952, USA)- Three acclaimed people, an actor, a writer and a director meet an executive and they talk about their friendship and loathe of an ex-friend of theirs, film producer Jonathan Shields. It's all about Douglas (who handles a complex character superbly) and Minelli's direction dominating the screen as the film examines the relationships between these professions in the making of the pivtures while also developing the personal relationships between these four individuals. Brilliant.

(5/5)

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
(Tomas Alfredson, 2011, FRA/UK/GER)- Alfredson is really becoming something special, as he follows his vampiric debut with a fantastic Cold War drama/thriller about a mole in the higher echelons of British Intelligence. OH DEARY ME. Beautifully cinematography that resembles a 70s political thriller, a great script that makes a dense, long plot straightforward to follow, great acting from one of the best ensemble casts in ages (Oldman hasn't been this great in ages, making the cold and methodical Smiley into a sympathetic hero) and SOME TRULY FANTASTIC DIRECTION OHMYGAWD THAT DOLLY SHOT OF HUNGARY WITH THE FIGHTER JETS IS AMAZING

(5/5)

Grizzly Man (Werner Herzog, 2005, USA)- Something of a psychological analysis on Timothy Treadwell, the man who passed 13 years living and protecting grizzly bears and then got eaten, alongside with his girlfriend, by one of them. Something of both an accliam and condemnation on Treadwell's action, Herzog has found here a fascinating individual, like an American Steve Irwin, only much crazier. The irony found in the subject is in itself, quite depressing but their are glimpses of comedy and warmth found in this, and the footage in itself can be quite impressive. That said, Herzog's point of Treadwell's crossing nature's boundaries seem to also override that Treadwell's communication with the bears was also something quite extraordinary but that's only a minor complaint.

(5/5)

Accatone (Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1961, ITA)- The low-life of Rome is also considered something of a spiritual battle in Pasolini's tale about a ruffian and a pimp who is unable to see his child. It's oddly polished for somebody like Pasolini and the acting is surprisingly great and it engages wholly throughout its running time. So yeah, pretty good and more than I expected it to be.

(5/5)

Buddha Collapsed out of Shame
(Hana Mackhmalbaf, 2007, IRA/FRA)- Having quite possibly the greatest name in any movie ever, this is a symbolic allegory set close to where once Buddhas of Bayman stood. It is about the domain of the Taliban and their bizarre oppression on the women, all re-enacted by children playing. A girl tries to go to school so that she can learn something but her progress is hindered by her poverty and some boys pretending to be the Taliban. It's great. It's an odd one, sometimes naturalistic and surreal and mixing both to great effect.

(5/5)

The Invisible Man (James Whale, 1932, USA)- Five stars for the clever effects, the entertaining villain, some nice set-pecies and Claude Raines' incredibly hypnotic voice.

(5/5)

The Deluge
(Jerzy Hoffman, 1974, POL/RUS)- Big on battles, romance (not as effective as the battles or politics though) and has some very interesting characters such as Kmicic, a man as capable of being brutal and murderous as he is noble, and it is set in quite a fascinating war. The rise of religious intolerance in Poland following the war and the economic fracas not mentioned during all the showcase nationalism. It's also four hours and a half long and it rarely feels them. Shame again the romance isn't as up to standard as the other elements of the film are, still a very entertaining epic with fantastic performances all round.

(4/5)

The Hudsucker Proxy (The Coen Brothers, 1994, USA)- 4/5
War of the Buttons (John Roberts, 1994, UK/FRA/JAP)- 4/5
Rosencratz and Guildenstern are Dead (Tom Stoppard, 1990, UK/USA)- 3/5

Transformers: Dark of the Moon
(Micheal Bay, 2011, USA)- Sam Witwicky is an annoying cunt, Kim Jeong is an annoying cunt, I don't know when John Turturro started acting as characters who are such annoying cunts, Optimus Prime is a massive cunt who allows genocide to happen for moronic reasons and then go all rampaging on the Decepticons for a genocide HE ALLOWED TO HAPPEN TO PASS A STUPID POINT WHICH HE COULD HAVE EASILY SHOWN BY PREVENTING THE DAMN GENOCIDE AND FIGHTING THE DECEPTICONS THERE and Micheal Bay is a cunt for outright lying about the last hour being a spectacular endless action sequence, which wasn't neither nonstop nor spectacular.

(1/5)

< Message edited by Deviation -- 2/10/2011 11:45:53 PM >

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 6473
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 2/10/2011 11:47:25 PM   
Pigeon Army

Fucking hell that's a lot of 5/5s. Dark of the Moon just sticks out like nothing else.

Also, the word is gumdrop.

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 2/10/2011 11:49:09 PM >

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 6474
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/10/2011 12:03:18 AM   
Deviation

You could just edit the post and replace all the cunts with gumdrops.  

quote:

quote:

Post #: 6475
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/10/2011 12:19:13 AM   
Deviation

OMG SEPTEMBER PASSED HERE'S A LIST OF THE MOVIES I'VE SEEN WOOP WOOP

The Tree of Life (Terence Malick, 2011, USA, September)
Kanal (Andzrej Wajda, 1957, POL, September)
Only Yesterday (Isao Takahata, 1991, JPN, September)
Becket
(Peter Glenville, 1964, UK/USA, September)
Cria Cuervos (Carlos Saura, 1976, SPA, September)
A Bittersweet Life (Jee-won Kim, 2005, S.KOR, September)
No Man's Land
(Danis Tavonic, 2001, B&H/FRA/ITA/SLO/UK/BEL, September)
The Bad and the Beautiful
(Vincente Minelli, 1952, USA, September)
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
(Tomas Alfredson, 2011, FRA/UK/GER, September)
Buddha Collapsed out of Shame
(Hana Mackhmalbaf, 2007, IRA/FRA, September)
13 Assassins
(Takashi Miike, 2010, JPN/UK, September)
The Invisible Man (James Whale, 1932, USA, September)

The Deluge
(Jerzy Hoffman, 1974, POL/RUS, September)
Jane Eyre (Cary Fukunaga, 2011, UK/USA, September)
The Hudsucker Proxy (The Coen Brothers, 1994, USA, September)
War of the Buttons (John Roberts, 1994, UK/FRA/JAP, September)
TrollHunter (Andre Ovredal, 2010, NOR, September)
Battle without Honor and Humanity
(Kinji Fukasaku, 1973, JPN, September)

Blood and Bone
(Ben Ramsey, 2009, USA, September)
Rosencratz and Guildenstern are Dead (Tom Stoppard, 1990, UK/USA, September)
Samaritan Girl (Kim Ki-Duk, 2004, S.KOR, September)

The Lost Patrol (John Ford, 1934, USA, September)

Transformers: Dark of the Moon
(Micheal Bay, 2011, USA, September)

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 6476
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/10/2011 1:31:36 AM   
FritzlFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Accatone (Pier Paolo Pasolini, 1961, ITA)- The low-life of Rome is also considered something of a spiritual battle in Pasolini's tale about a ruffian and a pimp who is unable to see his child. It's oddly polished for somebody like Pasolini and the acting is surprisingly great and it engages wholly throughout its running time. So yeah, pretty good and more than I expected it to be.

(5/5)

Pasolini is me.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miles Messervy 007

Child labour is necessary in the short term

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 6477
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/10/2011 5:48:41 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

57. Eyes Without a Face/Les yeux sans visage (1st view, 1960, Georges Franju) - 4/5*
Proof at last that the French could make decent films in the 60s when they weren't faffing about with New Wave tripe. Did this make the recent horror lists? It should have done.

October

1. The Lion King (10+view, 1994, Roger Allers/Rob Minkoff) - 5/5
2. The King's Speech (2nd view, 2010, Tom Hooper) - 5/5
3. Real Steel (1st view, 2011, Shawn Levy) - 4/5*
4. Eyes Without a Face/Les yeux sans visage (1st view, 1960, Georges Franju) - 4/5*
5. Fascination (1st view, 1979, Jean Rollin) - 4/5*
6. Profondo Rosso (2nd view, 1975, Dario Argento) - 4/5
7. The Three Musketeers (1st view, 2011, Paul W.S. Anderson) - 4/5*
8. Tomorrow, When The War Began (1st view, 2011, Stuart Beattie) - 3/5*
9. Sucker Punch (1st view, 2011, Zach Snyder) - 3/5*
10. Eddie Murphy Raw (1st view, 1987, Robert Townsend) - 3/5*

11. Beastly (1st view, 2011, Daniel Barnz) - 2/5*
12. Suspiria (2nd view, 1977, Dario Argento) - 2/5

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 28/10/2011 12:37:10 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to FritzlFan)
Post #: 6478
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/10/2011 9:06:28 AM   
chris_scott01

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Kanal (Andzrej Wajda, 1957, POL)- Quite possibly the most harrowing, brutal, unforgiving, devastating and terrifying war film I've seen since Come and See. Set during the Warsaw Uprising, some of the last remnants of the Polish Resistance, now alone from any other ally they could have ever had and only with a low number of soldiers left, are forced to evade the Nazis by going into the labyrinthine sewers of Warsaw only for all of them to slowly die of starvation, fatigue, hunger and sickness in the shit-filled sewers of Warsaw. The last sentence was not exactly a spoiler btw, the opening narration that introduce our protagonists by mentioning their roles claims it outright, so the whole movie becomes about how our doomed-from-the-start protagonists will die slowly. CHEERY STUFF. Wajda's film in the first half has some problems with the character development, as most characters seem to be lacking a proper personality above what was mentioned at the start. That however changes as the film goes along as they gain more back-story or actions to do to see who they really are, making their demise all the more painful. Wajda basically created one of the scariest, most disturbing horror movies I've ever seen. The horror element is where it is the most effective, the sewers themselves are filmed as if they were a Gothic hell (helped by a very clever allusion made by one of the characters). A harrowing war film with some great performances, perfect direction and cinematography and a very sad story about one of the most tragic events of WW2.

(5/5)

Have you seen the other 2 of Wajda's war trilogy?  I thought Kanal was the best, the eastern European's have a knack for making things bleak.  I agree with you on Come and See aswell, I don't think I've ever seen a war film like it.

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 6479
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 3/10/2011 9:52:23 AM   
rick_7

CINEMA: Crazy, Stupid, Love (Glenn Ficarra and John Requa, 2011) - I really enjoyed this. Don't be put off by the terrible title, it's probably the best mainstream romantic comedy since Just Like Heaven (shut up, you are wrong): funny, romantic, surprising and with a knockout performance by the mighty Ryan Gosling as a womanising slickster who decides to teach the cuckolded Steve Carell - also excellent - how to pick up girls. Is there anything Gosling can't do? Apparently not. (3.5)

< Message edited by rick_7 -- 3/10/2011 10:05:24 AM >

*Wendy Hiller fanboy*

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 6480
Page:   <<   < prev  214 215 [216] 217 218   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 Page: <<   < prev  214 215 [216] 217 218   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI