Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 Page: <<   < prev  158 159 [160] 161 162   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 27/6/2011 11:12:11 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

I actually feel quite happy about that

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 4771
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 27/6/2011 11:18:24 AM   
MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Bull Durham (Ron Shelton)

I don't think there are too many truly great sports films (Hoop Dreams comes to mind firstly, but after that...) but in the ranks of very good sports films, then Bull Durham is easily up there. Shelton has an instinctive understanding of baseball, not only in how to render it best on screen but also its importance to the fabric of American society. He gets that it's a communal thing first and foremost and perfectly captures the hazy, sweltering summer nights that the games take place on as the Durham Bulls go on a state-wide tour to try and reverse their ailing fortunes. Shelton also knows that sports films generally work best as a metaphor for something else, in this case sex, as Susan Sarandon's team groupie hops between the beds of talented, but dim, rookie Tim Robbins and grouchy elder statesman Kevin Costner; in a bid to transform their on-field luck as well as off-field. It's a film that has the confidence to hang out with its characters and inherently trust them and their story to hold our attention and it does so with aplomb, being both very funny and occasionally poignant at the same time without going over the top with either approach. Sarandon and Costner are both fine, but it's Robbins doofus, lunk-headed performance that's the real star of the show. (4)

I'd have Bull Durham at the top of my sports movie list, because unlike many of the other contenders to the crown, Shelton's supporting characters to the 3 leads encapsulate the reason that people the world over play sports - because it's fun

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 4772
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 27/6/2011 11:21:09 AM   
Deviation

Lagaan is also an amazing sports film. Just saying. 

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 4773
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 27/6/2011 11:30:52 AM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: MOTH

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

Bull Durham (Ron Shelton)

I don't think there are too many truly great sports films (Hoop Dreams comes to mind firstly, but after that...) but in the ranks of very good sports films, then Bull Durham is easily up there. Shelton has an instinctive understanding of baseball, not only in how to render it best on screen but also its importance to the fabric of American society. He gets that it's a communal thing first and foremost and perfectly captures the hazy, sweltering summer nights that the games take place on as the Durham Bulls go on a state-wide tour to try and reverse their ailing fortunes. Shelton also knows that sports films generally work best as a metaphor for something else, in this case sex, as Susan Sarandon's team groupie hops between the beds of talented, but dim, rookie Tim Robbins and grouchy elder statesman Kevin Costner; in a bid to transform their on-field luck as well as off-field. It's a film that has the confidence to hang out with its characters and inherently trust them and their story to hold our attention and it does so with aplomb, being both very funny and occasionally poignant at the same time without going over the top with either approach. Sarandon and Costner are both fine, but it's Robbins doofus, lunk-headed performance that's the real star of the show. (4)

I'd have Bull Durham at the top of my sports movie list, because unlike many of the other contenders to the crown, Shelton's supporting characters to the 3 leads encapsulate the reason that people the world over play sports - because it's fun

Very, very true.

Also, Lagaan is one I really, really need to see.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 4774
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 27/6/2011 11:36:52 AM   
elab49

I found it a fair drag to get through - and Bodyline proves I can handle cricket when it's done well.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 4775
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 27/6/2011 1:22:47 PM   
Pigeon Army

28. Chung Hing sam lam (Chungking Express) (1994, Wong Kar-Wai, HKG) - 4/5*
I don't think I'll ever quite get my head around why there are two stories in Chungking Express - both are very good stories, no doubt (though I gravitate more to the less expressionistic, more heartfelt Cop 663/Faye story), but aside from certain parallels in the male lead (both Tony Leung and Takeshi Kaneshiro play cops whose preoccupations with the women that leave them blind them to the opportunities in front of their eyes and push them into doing things for the wrong reasons) and the occasional appearance of Cop 663 or Faye in He Zhiwu's/The Woman in the Blonde Wig's story, I seem to be missing the big thing that links the two strands together. Despite this, Chungking Express is a typically sensual offering from Wong, full of rich colours and clever camerawork and a genuine sense of location. The places are all evocatively writ, from the griminess and hustle of Chungking Mansions to the murky, unclean aquarium that constitutes Cop 663's flat (the aquarium Cop 663 actually keeps in his flat, and that Faye keeps adding fish to, is a surprisingly blunt but nonetheless effective way of indicating this). The aesthetics are more real than real, 1990s Hong Kong by way of the French and American New Wave movements, something reflected by the dialogue (663 and Faye often talk to each other in a way evocative of earlier Godard films) but not by the characters. The characters feel absolutely grounded in reality, even as their stories and their words pillage cinema history, and it's incredibly difficult not to be won over by their (occasionally pathetic) attempts at navigating human relationships. It's a juxtaposition that works really well and makes Chungking Express both relatable and hyperreal.

122. Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li (2009, Andrzej Bartkowiak, CAN/IND/USA/JPN) - 1.5/5
I'm reliably informed that this film didn't turn into a Street Fighter film until a fair way into production, which explains the bizarre juxtaposition of storylines - one, a crime thriller about two cops with oodles of sexual tension tracking a notorious criminal using his underworld ties to make millions off Bangkok's slums, no matter who he hurts in the process; the other, a story about Chun-Li trying to solve her father's disappearance while learning the art of street fighting from the wise Gen. The two stories merge about as well as you'd expect, with globetrotting bro Charlie Nash and his simmering sidekick Detective Sunyee being forced into Chun-Li's storyline and the entire slum-development storyline being dropped in the third act for some bizarre magical guff about transferring goodness and hadokens. The resulting film is a hodgepodge of overwrought cliches, pedestrian production design (though the toilet block in the Insomnia bar, the site of a particularly brutal fight, seems to fall right on the right side of gaudy with its bright primary colours and plethora of holes) and fitfully interesting fight sequences, one of which involves Edmund Chen setting his hand on fire to kill a goon (it is awesome). It's also lumbered with performances that largely do little with the awful material they've been given - Kreuk's more-virtuous-than-thou Chun-Li is aggressively nice and her rampant expository narrations are unbearable with her flat delivery; Neal McDonough plays M Bison as an effete sadist with a lilting Irish accent and it's hilarious for all the wrong reasons; Black-Eyed Peas member Taboo gives a masterwork of awful acting as Vega, his dead eyes and put-on growl making him look like a victim of excessive botox. That said, there is one shining light in the film who offers untold amounts of entertainment every time he's on screen and his name is Chris Klein. Klein's the only one who doesn't seem to take the film as a serious action-drama and he smirks his way through his role as CHARLIE NASH INTERPOL, over-delivering every line and coming across as a pencil pusher trying desperately to be an Action Cop. If only the rest of the film was as self-aware as him.

< Message edited by Pigeon Army -- 27/6/2011 1:39:46 PM >

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat
quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4776
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 28/6/2011 2:21:39 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

45. The Illusionist (1st view, 2010, Sylvain Chomet) - 4/5*
Ok, so it's not as good as Belleville. That was a masterpiece, this is merely very good. I hope the cynicism of these forums isn't rubbing off on me but I can't help but think that Alice stayed around because she was being lavished with gifts. Made it hard to really care. But even so, there's a lots to enjoy not least the stunning animation. And it is heartbreakingly sad at times, especially when he releases the rabbit

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Much more better!

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 4777
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 28/6/2011 10:53:39 AM   
matty_b

In The Name Of The Father (Jim Sheridan)

A story so astonishing it could only be true? Perhaps, and while there are undoubted liberties taken with some of the truths with this dramatisation of the Guildford Four campaign it still remains a shocking and immensely powerful film. For the most part Sheridan plays an even hand as Gerry Conlon (Daniel Day-Lewis) and his father Giuseppe (Pete Postlethwaite) are fitted up by a corrupt British police force and sent down, but the IRA don't exactly get off scott free, either. Instead, they hover in the background like a spectre, alluded to in frightened mutters of murdering their own people who misbehave on their patch and most shockingly of all, when an IRA boss in the same prison as the Conlons arranges a hit on someone - a sequence that bristles with tension and ultimately makes you feel sick to stomach as the simmering violence of the film finally boils over. Sheridan keeps a cool head, however, and instead focuses in on the Guildford Four's plight and the Conlon relationship in particular. Day-Lewis and Postlethwaite and both magnificent, and the only false note the film really strikes is in an awkward scene where they're first put in a cell together and Gerry unleases a tirade upon Giuseppe about a football match he played as a boy - it comes across a scene to let the two thesp away, instead of being crucial to the film. And the thing is, neither of them need a scene like that - Postlethwaite gets his moment when the man actually behind the film confesses to him and Day-Lewis...well, Day-Lewis just disappears into the role completely. Is it in bad taste to say that the failure of either of those two to win the Oscar that year is a miscarriage of justice? (4.5)

quote:

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 4778
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 28/6/2011 11:14:58 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gimli The Dwarf

45. The Illusionist (1st view, 2010, Sylvain Chomet) - 4/5*
Ok, so it's not as good as Belleville. That was a masterpiece, this is merely very good. I hope the cynicism of these forums isn't rubbing off on me but I can't help but think that Alice stayed around because she was being lavished with gifts. Made it hard to really care. But even so, there's a lots to enjoy not least the stunning animation. And it is heartbreakingly sad at times, especially when he releases the rabbit

This was exactly my thought as well and it did impact on the way I viewed the film.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Post #: 4779
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 28/6/2011 12:51:14 PM   
Pigeon Army

72. Super 8 (2011, JJ Abrams, USA) - 3.5/5
With Super 8, JJ Abrams poses an interesting question - in a world where Steven Spielberg is actively making Steven Spielberg movies, do we really need a film that spends its entire running time cribbing from Steven Spielberg movies in the name of 'homage'? The answer, it seems, is yes and no - yes, because Super 8 is an entertaining action-adventure film with a heartwarming message and a sense of awe and mystery that's missing from most mainstream blockbusters today; no, because despite all that, it still brings nothing new or (dare I say it) original to the cinematic landscape. Whether he's lifting set-pieces, music and themes from Spielberg's heyday (not only can you cop a faceful of family relationships under pressure, but the final sequence echoes Close Encounters and ET so loudly that it feels like a bit of a cheat) or offering up 'variations' on his Cloverfield monster design (seriously JJ we get it you like lizard-gorillas with four legs), Abrams doesn't do a lot that suggests he has any concerns outside of paying Spielberg back for his influence, which is a nice sentiment but not exactly a good reason for making a film. While it's unfair to say I didn't have fun - it's certainly a thrillride with some fantastic setpieces and good performances from Joel Courtney and Kyle Chandler - it's hard to be emotionally invested in a story and characters that are designed as derivative of better things. Indeed, it's telling that Michael Giacchino's score, an excellent riff on John Williams, does a lot of the emotional heavy-lifting where the story and the characters won't.

Also, a note - the US Air Force in this film really hates black people - the fates of Woodward, Overmyer and the bus driver seem to suggest some kind of comment on race relations in America in that uneasy ten-fifteen year period following the passing of the Civil Rights Act. But then, why is there not a single black person in Lillian (Woodward being an outsider)?

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4780
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 28/6/2011 2:35:19 PM   
Gram123

I've finally reached 50 features for the year...

042) Romeo Must Die (Andrzej Bartkowiak, USA, 2000, Broadcast) - 3.5
I've seen a fair few Jet Li films, but had thus far resisted the urge to see one of his US films (I'm not counting Unleashed as American). This was okaaaayish, though the action scenes were largely horseshit, either because they were assisted by obvious wirework and awful CG, or because we've seen them done better before (Li not wanting to hit a woman, so using his kung fu plus Aaliyah's limbs; Li tying up his opponents in the midst of a fight) .
The thrills and spills weren't very thrilling, and the lighter moments weren't much fun.

...oh, hang on. I'm gonna have to change this from a 5/10, cos it really isn't worth that high a score...

I also started watching Rambo: First Blood but keeled over about half way through and didn't recover til the little 'un shouted at 4am. Going by what I did catch, I can live with not seeing the rest of it any time soon.
So I've now seen 0.5 out of 4 Rambo films...

Gram123's Top Songs Project

Post #: 4781
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 29/6/2011 6:22:25 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

68. Despicable Me (1st view, 2010, Pierre Coffin/Chris Renaud) - 4/5*
Good fun. I loved the little yellow creatures.

Much more better!

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 4782
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 29/6/2011 1:20:49 PM   
matty_b

The Goodbye Girl (Herbert Ross)

A conversation on this forum inspired me to watch this, when I made the comment that nowadays the fact that Richard Dreyfuss won a Best Actor Oscar might raise more than a few eyebrows. Turns out, he's pretty wonderful and deserved it all the way. As Elliot Garfield, a struggling actor, forced to share an apartment with single mother of one Paula (Marsha Mason), Dreyfuss gives a cocky, livewire but ultimately very charming performance. Never sitting still for a minute, he tears into the material with relish, particularly his homosexual take on Richard III. The film itself is Neil Simon reimagining The Odd Couple but with a woman - Mason is also good, as is Quinn Cummings as her ten-year-old daughter - and Ross lines the jokes up for Dreyfuss and Mason to bat them out with aplomb. Ross keeps the film moving at a decent lick for a comedy and when the film takes its inevitable third act turn - Hey, these characters hate each other! No, wait, they LOVE each other! - it feels logical, plausible and genuine. (4)

quote:

Post #: 4783
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 29/6/2011 1:36:32 PM   
rawlinson

Ah, The Queen who wanted to be King. 

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 4784
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 30/6/2011 9:43:40 AM   
elab49

Paul (Mottola, 2011)

Paul ranked high on the Mickey Blue Eyes scale in our house – the measurement of my other half's ability to laugh himself breathless at the most moderately funny things (although this is now only measured in our living room – it's far too embarrassing to go through that in an actual cinema again).

It's an odd one this. It was perfectly OK to sit through without being anything particularly special. For the most part I think I'm going to cite the director – I'm assuming since Mottola has brought along so many of his 'crew' that he had a lot of input. I'm not a great fan of his work and a lot of the potential laughs in here were let down by going fairly flat presentation with some kind of stoner comedy pace, and that seemed to be disconnected to the tone/pace of the script itself. I don't think the casting helped – I like a few of the people on show but there was a poor fit. Bateman just didn't sell the role well and Weaver's actual appearance was pretty awful. The writing doesn't get a complete pass though – bits like the Spielberg add-on were self-indulgent, the Danner stuff didn't work and Wiig's swearing was embarrassing rather than amusing. Pegg and Frost obviously work well together and that broughtthe geniality that helped you sit through. But I'd like to have seen this filmed a little less lackadaisically and with a better eye to casting, frankly.

Makioka Sisters (Ichikawa, 1983)

I love how some of the stuff about this as written as if the 68yo Ichikawa is on his last legs, when he's still making great films more than a decade later.

Based on a well-known Japanese novel, Makioka Sisters is set in the years before the beginning of WWII with Japan already in action locally. The Makioka's were once a great Japanese family (men marrying the Makioka women took on their name) but their prosperity has been waning of late with their kimono factory sold some years ago. Tsuruko, the eldest, and her husband live in the main Osaka house but her two unmarried sisters have moved to the branch house in Ashiya to live with 2nd sister Sachiko after a scandal involving the attempted elopement of the youngest, Taeko. The film revolves around the relations between the sisters and the attempts to get 3rd sister Yukiko married off (and the impact of the delay on that on young Taeko).

In terms of Ichikawa's impressive range of genres I'd probably place Makioka in line with Kokoro, examining character and emotional complexity with an edge of melodrama at times. Although fairly long what really captures the attention is how beautifully drawn the sisters, and their inter-relationships, are. Taeko, living her own Naruse-esque subplot and therefore technically going through the most, is actually the least interesting and most obvious of the four. Tsuruko, living apart from her younger sisters, also seems emotionally distant but there are moments when she and Sachiko, on the brink of a dispute, simply dissolve into smiles and understanding, the two older sisters who have known and loved each other longest. Tatsuo, her husband, is technically head of the family, taking the business decisions and his promotion to Tokyo precipitates a demonstration of the character of the relationship that we've already seen hints of earlier in the film – that Tatsuo genuinely loves his wife and her need to have him demonstrate that – a woman secure at the head of her sisters but happy to bow to her husband when she knows he would acquiesce for her. Yukiko is a piece of work, though. So quiet she claims to be scared to use the phone but not so timid she doesn't revel in her brother-in-law's attentions – there's an edge of Lear's Regan in this character IMO, a glimpse in her eyes of her seeming to enjoy quite a few things she shouldn't, including Sachiko seeing her at play. She strings out the marriage meetings for years – is she hoping to get her brother in law (with niece) as a package? She seems to have a genuine fondness for the children and is playing some convoluted game, but the politics and playing eventually have to end. 

Makioka Sisters isn't visually striking in the manner of, say, An Actor's Revenge. But quite apart from some beautiful landscape work on visits that mark the sisters' annual coming together to view the blossoms in Ashiya or meetings on the marital hunt for Yukiko, there are some striking scenes that remind you of Ichikawa's earlier work – both the dark and deep reds in the room as the photos of Taeko's dolls are developed and later when Tsuruko hangs out a gorgeously colourful and intricately designed array of kimonos.  

An unexpectedly absorbing film that superimposes a superior character piece over a storyline that could drift to basic melodrama but is held back by the hand of an excellent director.

Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame (Hark, 2010)

Bambi attack!

Still great fun although I think you do miss the scale of seeing this on the big screen. A hugely enjoyable rewatch though.

Red (Schwentke, 2010)

Also still great fun – how could Malkovich revelling in piggy and dressed as a Swiss milkmaid not be? Brian Cox possibly rules in a film full of actors having fun and enjoying themselves, often very funny, a bit of a reference to Hopscotch but direction? Could do better.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4785
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 30/6/2011 10:17:59 AM   
elab49

Dumbo (Armstrong/Ferguson, 1941)

Remains amongst my favourite Disney animated features. The tale of the baby elephant with the extremely large ears is as lovely to view now as it was when I was a child.

Robin Hood (Reitherman, 1973)

Is perhaps a little less so now. I read something once about the understandable belief that a Nottinghamshire accent sounds more like a California drawl to most people as the story has been all but appropriated by foreigners. I think for many of us the core of our understanding of the traditional fable probably comes from this and the Curtiz. What these two have most in common with other adaptations is that the hero and his girlfriend are the least interesting things on the screen – here it is the delicious Peter Ustinov/Terry-Thomas double act as the baddies yet again rule the screen.

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4786
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 30/6/2011 10:21:14 AM   
MOTH

quote:

Dumbo (Armstrong/Ferguson, 1941)

Remains amongst my favourite Disney animated features. The tale of the baby elephant with the extremely large ears is as lovely to view now as it was when I was a child.

It also teaches us that sometimes you need to get pissed to realise your potential, which is an excellent lesson for all of us, especially children.

I've only gone and set up a blog! This week I've been mostly reviewing The Lego Movie and Wadjda. Click: The Fast Picture Show

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4787
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 30/6/2011 10:22:36 AM   
elab49

I hadn't thought of that. But now you mention it.....

quote:

(in reply to MOTH)
Post #: 4788
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 30/6/2011 10:42:01 AM   
matty_b

Probably my two favourite Disney animated films right there.

"Hith! Hith!"

quote:

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4789
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 30/6/2011 10:53:40 AM   
Gram123

002) Mother (Bong Joon-ho, South Korea, 2009, BD) - 8.5

Another very good film from Bong Joon-ho (I really must get round to getting Barking Dogs to complete the set). Enough's been said already about this that I don't need to waffle on too much - suffice to say TV actress Kim Hye-ja turns in fantastic role as the titular progenitor. The first half is a little slow, but it's made up for by the twisty latter half, as Mrs Yoon is really put through the mill through her investigations.

Do-joon has a non-specific mental illness (a popular trope of East Asian cinema) and his consequent shady memory feels a bit like just a device at times, and that probably shaves half a point off my rating. But the film has emotional drama and suspense, a lovely murky atmosphere, and a host of pleasingly offbeat minor characters (Granny, the apple-kicking cop, the mobile phone girl, the junkyard owner) in addition to Kim's thoroughly engaging lead.

Mother marches determinedly into the #2 spot in my list for the year, edging Scott Pilgrim out of the top ten (though I feel that's due to tumble a few more places anyway), and leaving my top ten looking like this:

I ain't going to get to see another film tonight, so I may as well post my June roundup now:

002) Mother (Bong Joon-ho, South Korea, 2009, BD) - 8.5
015) Zatoichi #4: The Fugitive  (Tanaka Tokuzτ, Japan, 1963, DVD) - 7.0
017) Training Day (Antoine Fuqua, USA, 2001, BD) - 7.0
019) Micmacs (Jean-Pierre Jeunet, France, 2009, BD) - 7.0
026) Zatoichi #3: New Tale of Zatoichi  (Tanaka Tokuzτ, Japan, 1963, DVD) - 7.0
038) The Damned United (Tom Hooper, UK, 2009, Broadcast) - 6.0
044) Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon (Daniel Lee, China / HK / S. Korea, 2008, BD) - 4.0
046) Romeo Must Die (Andrzej Bartkowiak, USA, 2000, Broadcast) - 3.5
047) The Foot Fist Way (Jody Hill, USA, 2006, Broadcast) - 3.0

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 30/6/2011 11:03:13 AM >

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4790
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 30/6/2011 11:41:51 AM   
TRM

June - Features:

1. Psycho (Alfred Hitchcock, 1960, USA)
3. Seven Samurai (Akira Kurosawa, 1954, Japan)
5. Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock, 1958, USA)
6. Citizen Kane (Orson Welles, 1941, USA)
8. Taxi Driver (Martin Scorsese, 1976, USA)
22. Senna (Asif Kapadia, 2010, UK/France/USA)
29. Apocalypse Now (Francis Ford Coppola, 1979, USA)
30. Incendies (Denis Villeneuve, 2010, Canada/France)
33. Millennium Actress (Satoshi Kon, 2001, Japan)
35. Has Anybody Seen My Gal (Douglas Sirk, 1952, USA)
38. Withnail & I (Bruce Robinson, 1987, UK)
46. Intermezzo (Gustaf Molander, 1936, Sweden)
50. The One-Armed Swordsman (Cheh Chang, 1967, Hong Kong)
60. How To Train Your Dragon (Dean DeBlois & Chris Sanders, 2010, USA)
62. Bigger Than Life (Nicholas Ray, 1956, USA)
66. Le Boucher (Claude Chabrol, 1970, France/Italy)
74. There's Always Tomorrow (Douglas Sirk, USA, 1956)
84. Return To The 36th Chamber (Chia-Liang Liu, 1980, Hong Kong)
88. Return Of The One Armed Swordsman (Cheh Chang, 1969, Hong Kong)
90. The African Queen (John Huston, 1951, UK)
106. The Racket (John Cromwell, 1951, USA)
109. Paprika (Satoshi Kon, 2006, Japan)
112. Definitely Maybe (Adam Brooks, 2008, USA/France/UK)
113. The 8 Diagram Pole Fighter (Chia-Liang Liu, 1984, Hong Kong)
117. Lady Vengeance (Chan-wook Park, 2005, South Korea)
119. Field Of Dreams (Phil Alden Robinson, 1989, USA)
148. Kung Fu Panda 2 (Jennifer Yuh, 2011, USA)
153. X-Men: First Class (Matthew Vaughn, 2011, USA)
160. Red Eye (Wes Craven, 2005, USA)
167. I'm Still Here (Casey Affleck, 2010, USA)
173. The Flame Of New Orleans (Rene Clair, 1941, USA)
184. The Secret Of Kells (Tomm Moore & Nora Twomey, 2009, France/Belgium/Ireland)
204. Green Lantern (Martin Campbell, 2011, USA)
207. Teeth (Mitchell Lichtenstein, 2007, USA)

shorts:
11. Six Shooter (Martin McDonagh, 2004, UK/Ireland, 27mins)
30. Hallo Panda (Ben Blaine & Chris Blaine, 2006, UK, 29mins)

And since were at the half way point, here is my directors table at this point:

Buster Keaton (9) - Neighbors, One Week, Sherlock jr. Three Ages, Hard Luck, The Paleface, My Wife's Relations, The Blacksmith, The Frozen North

Wes Craven (7) - Scream, Scream 2, Scream 3, Scream 4, The Last House On The Left, A Nightmare on Elm Street, Red Eye

John Carpenter (5) - The Ward, Pro Life, The Fog, The Thing, They Live
Edward F. Cline (5) - Neighbors, One Week, Three Ages, Hard Luck, The Frozen North
Sam Raimi (5) - Crimewave, Spider Man 2, Spider Man 3, Spider Man, Evil Dead 2

Charles Chaplin (4) - One A.M., The Circus, The Great Dictator, The Chaplin Revue

Kathryn Bigelow (3) - K19: The Widowmaker, Near Dark, Blue Steel
Harry Edwards (3) - All Night Long, The Sea Squawk, His Marriage Wow

Alfred Hitchcock (3) - Frenzy, Vertigo
, Psycho
John Huston (3) - The Maltese Falcon, Key Largo, The African Queen
Jacques Tati (3) - Mon Oncle, L'ecole Des Factures, Cours Du Soir

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 4791
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 30/6/2011 11:45:31 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: TRM

June - Features:
184. The Secret Of Kells (Tomm Moore & Nora Twomey, 2009, France/Belgium/Ireland)

Obviously I'm not Swords level fanboy but *gulp* - worse then Definitely Maybe? (At least The Racket crept above that!)

quote:

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 4792
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 30/6/2011 1:09:28 PM   
Pigeon Army

72. Le Boucher (1970, Claude Chabrol, FRN/ITA) - 3.5/5
Le Boucher's story is probably one of the simplest stories I've ever seen in a thriller. People die, there's a McGuffin and a twist (that everyone should see coming) and then an ending that tests the moral resolve of its characters. It is the thriller, as a concept, boiled down to a handful of action beats - a choice that, in the hands of a lesser director, could cripple a film. However, in keeping the story so barebones, Chabrol avoids cluttering the film with needless information and focuses on creating a mood piece, one that moves from the summery highs of a blossoming friendship to the cold, depressing lows of that relationship's disintegration. The lighting, set design and use of colour are all perfect in slowly, methodically shifting the atmosphere from warm and congenial to tense and disturbing. Le Boucher is a very successful film in that respect, as it's all too easy to get caught up in the compositions and the designs and they inform the most innocuous of actions. However, Le Boucher's effectiveness is neutered by two things - the first, Pierre Jansen's score; the second, Stephane Audran's performance. Jansen's score is incredibly effective during the back end of the second act and the third act, jarringly discordant and disorienting, but in earlier scenes all it does it distract, running in direct contradiction with the warm, positive vibe of the earlier scenes. In essence, we know from the get-go that somebody we trust should not be trusted and that the unassuming is something we shouldn't rule out, causing the first half to lose a lot of tension. Like Jansen, Audran is effective in the third act, though not as effective because she's a very cold performer. She was good in The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie because she convincingly carried herself like a snobby, passive-aggressive bourgeois tosser; here, she doesn't come across as down-to-earth or invested in her teaching, instead carrying an air of passive-aggressive dismissal of what's happening around her as if it's not of her concern. There's no immersion on her behalf and given how integral she is in the creation of the film's increasingly tense atmosphere, she falls well short of doing what she should be doing.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4793
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 30/6/2011 1:31:52 PM   
Pigeon Army

MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY

01.    Le Samouraο (1967, Jean-Pierre Melville, FRN/ITA) – 5/5

02.    Chelovek s kino-apparatom (Man with a Movie Camera) (1929, Dziga Vertov, RUS) – 4.5/5

03.    Them! (1954, Gordon Douglas, USA) – 4/5
04.    Joseon namnyeo sangyeoljisa (Untold Scandal) (2003, Lee Je-yong, SKR) – 4/5
05.    Source Code (2011, Duncan Jones, USA/FRN) – 4/5
06.    Collateral (2004, Michael Mann, USA) – 4/5****
07.    The Last of the Mohicans (1992, Michael Mann, USA) – 3.5/5
08.    Heat (1995, Michael Mann, USA) – 3.5/5
09.    The Birds (1963, Alfred Hitchcock, USA) – 3.5/5
10.    Ali (2001, Michael Mann, USA) – 3.5/5

11.    Manhunter (1986, Michael Mann, USA) – 3.5/5*
12.    Feng sheng (The Message) (2009, Chen Kuo-fu & Gao Qunshu, CHN) – 3/5
13.    Dirty Money (Un Flic) (1972, Jean-Pierre Melville, FRN/ITA) – 3/5
14.    Thief (1981, Michael Mann, USA) – 3/5
15.    The Sword in the Stone (1963, Wolfgang Reitherman, USA) – 3/5*
16.    Miami Vice (2006, Michael Mann, USA/GER/PAR/URA) – 2/5*
17.    Fahrenheit 451 (1966, Franηois Truffaut, UK) – 2/5
18.    Public Enemies (2009, Michael Mann, USA) – 2/5*
19.    Birdemic: Shock and Terror (2008, James Nguyen, USA) – 1/5

FILMS BY DECADE
2010s - 01
2000s - 07
1990s - 02
1980s - 02
1970s - 01
1960s - 04
1950s - 01
1940s - 00
1930s - 00
1920s - 01
1910s - 00
1900s - 00

FILMS BY COUNTRY
China  -  01
Russia/Soviet Union  -  01
South Korea  -  01
UK  -  01
USA  -  11

Mixed  -  05

JUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNE

01.    Tonari no Totoro (My Neighbour Totoro) (1988, Hayao Miyazaki, JPN) – 4.5/5***
02.    The Insider (1999, Michael Mann, USA) – 4.5/5*
03.    Le cercle rouge (The Red Circle) (1970, Jean-Pierre Melville, FRN/ITA) – 4.5/5
04.    Chung Hing sam lam (Chungking Express) (1994, Wong Kar-Wai, HKG) – 4/5*
05.    Some Like It Hot (1959, Billy Wilder, USA) – 4/5*
06.    Back to the Future (1985, Robert Zemeckis, USA) – 4/5**
07.    Back to the Future Part II (1989, Robert Zemeckis, USA) – 4/5*
08.    Dawn of the Dead (2004, Zack Snyder, USA/CAN/JPN/FRN) – 4/5
09.    127 Hours (2010, Danny Boyle, USA/UK) – 4/5
10.    28 Weeks Later (2007, Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, UK/SPN) – 4/5

11.    Bronenosets Potyomkin (The Battleship Potemkin) (1925, Sergei Eisenstein, RUS) – 4/5
12.    Jing wu feng yun: Chen Zhen (Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen) (2010, Andrew Lau, HKG/CHN) – 3.5/5
13.    Le Boucher (1970, Claude Chabrol, FRN/ITA) – 3.5/5
14.    Super 8 (2011, JJ Abrams, USA) – 3.5/5
15.    [Rec] 2 (2009, Jaume Balaguerσ & Paco Plaza, SPN) – 3.5/5
16.    Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li (2009, Andrzej Bartkowiak, CAN/IND/USA/JPN) – 1.5/5

FILMS BY DECADE
2010s - 03
2000s - 04
1990s - 02
1980s - 03
1970s - 02
1960s - 00
1950s - 01
1940s - 00
1930s - 00
1920s - 01
1910s - 00
1900s - 00

FILMS BY COUNTRY
Hong Kong  -  01
Japan  -  01
Russia/Soviet Union  -  01
Spain  -  01
USA  -  05

Mixed  -  07

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 4794
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 30/6/2011 1:44:34 PM   
demoncleaner

111.  The King of Comedy (Martin Scorsese, 1982)

4/5

112. Rocco and His Brothers (Luchino Visconti, 1960)
Like the Godfather, but without the crime, or the interesting parts.  Visconti's film starts as a quite brilliant depiction of in-country migration of a destitute southern Italian family moving north to Milan.  It's an immersive and fascinating world shot with all the style and realism you could wish for.  It hits a melodramatic peak in the middle and goes a bit Westside Story.   This is a bit of a bollix when you realise the 5 brothers/5 chapters narrative device tells you you've got fooking ages to go to weather a film that at this stage has evolved away from it's initial interest.
3/5

113.  The Saga of Gosta Berling (Maurice Stiller, 1924)
Garbo's first credited film role is a three hour Swedish silent saga with the erstwhile Miss Gustaffson in a prominent, though still very much, supporting role.   Initially you're given to wonder what Louis B. Mayer or her svengali director Maurice Stiller saw in her.  It's the pre-Hollywood renovation Garbo.  She's the chubby one with the grill of David Mellor; here playing a shallow doxy not sharp enough to be caricatured as the "Vamp”.  For her sub-plot she get's involved in a domestic conspiracy with her new husband and mother-in-law to gip the cute step-daughter out of her inheritance by encouraging a romance with the disgraced Gosta Berling of the title.  But God bless her she's not right through the door when she turns against this conniving and shows herself to be a sweet and sensitive soul.  It's probably this affecting transformation that marked her out for the Turks of Hollywood.

But apart from all that it's completely Lars Hansen's film as Gosta.  A wild and intense young clergyman defrocked for his inveterate boozing and vituperate oratory.  He's a fabulous creation, straight out of the bloodiest Nick Cave song.  Similarly, the hall of Ekeby where all souls converge is something out of a Thackeray novel with rich character backgrounding coming for a variety of the cast which gives this supposed one-man show an earthy ensemble feel.  I had to watch this in two sittings because the medium and the length does have a danger of dragging but the music score from the 1975 revival is both stunningly louche and rousing and it completely pulls you through it. This needs remade!
4/5

< Message edited by demoncleaner -- 30/6/2011 1:45:42 PM >

Post #: 4795
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 30/6/2011 2:00:50 PM   
TRM

quote:

quote:

June - Features:

Obviously I'm not Swords level fanboy but *gulp* - worse then Definitely Maybe? (At least The Racket crept above that!)

I was kind of resigned to the fact that those would be the films spotted in that list. The only defence I have is that the animation in The Secret of Kells didnt really impress me at all, with all the characters being far too bland outside of Aisling and Brendan. Definitely Maybe just had a bit warmth running through it, and left me smiling by the end.

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 4796
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 30/6/2011 2:04:56 PM   
rawlinson

Ok, but why is Paprika so low, you fiend? 

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 4797
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 30/6/2011 2:07:22 PM   
elab49

quote:

quote:

quote:

June - Features:

I was kind of resigned to the fact that those would be the films spotted in that list. The only defence I have is that the animation in The Secret of Kells didnt really impress me at all, with all the characters being far too bland outside of Aisling and Brendan. Definitely Maybe just had a bit warmth running through it, and left me smiling by the end.

Ya big softie

So - Lady Vengeance didn't leave you with a warm and snuggly feeling then? .....

quote:

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 4798
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 30/6/2011 2:17:50 PM   
TRM

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

Ok, but why is Paprika so low, you fiend? 

Because its Kon's worst film (I havent seen Perfect Blue yet though)

quote:

So - Lady Vengeance didn't leave you with a warm and snuggly feeling then? .....

Yeah really not that much of a fan. It takes so long to get going, with a structure that can be quite awkward to follow.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 4799
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 30/6/2011 2:19:28 PM   
elab49

I'd honestly try Paprika again - I think it's one that really rewards repeat viewings. And go from there into Paranoia Agent (which possibly takes more from that than any of his other works).

quote:

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 4800
Page:   <<   < prev  158 159 [160] 161 162   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 Page: <<   < prev  158 159 [160] 161 162   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI