Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 Page: <<   < prev  126 127 [128] 129 130   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/5/2011 4:48:01 PM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

ORIGINAL: MonsterCat

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon

Why has no one seen Fast Five yet?

I have. It's fricking awesome!

As are you. It's gonna be my new bum film, if only for the surprise of it all.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 3811
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/5/2011 4:59:01 PM   
MonsterCat

Your new what now?

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

(in reply to Epiphany Demon)
Post #: 3812
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/5/2011 5:00:29 PM   
Epiphany Demon

Bum film. The film I bum.

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 3813
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/5/2011 5:03:08 PM   
MonsterCat

Ah, I see.

"I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you."

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 3814
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/5/2011 7:44:24 PM   
TRM

1. The Double Life Of Veronique (Krzysztof Kieslowski, 1991, France/Poland/Norway)
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (John Ford, 1962, USA
The Thing (John Carpenter, 1982, USA)
Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Edgar Wright, 2010, UK/USA/Canada)
The Verdict (Sidney Lumet, 1982, USA)
Submarine (Richard Ayoade, 2010, UK/USA)
The Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner (Tony Richardson, 1962, UK)
Source Code (Duncan Jones, 2011, USA/France)
Far From Heaven (Todd Haynes, 2002, USA)
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (Tobe Hooper, 1974, USA)
A Nightmare on Elm Street (Wes Craven, 1984, USA)
Thor (Kenneth Branagh, 2011, USA)
United (James Strong, 2011, UK)
Cave of Forgotten Dreams (Werner Herzog, 2010, Canada/USA/France/Germany/UK)
Japanese Story (Sue Brooks, 2003, Australia)
The Last House On The Left (Wes Craven, 1972, USA)
Sons Of The Desert (William A. Seiter, 1933, USA)
Say Anything... (Cameron Crowe, 1989, USA)
A Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors (Chuck Russell, 1987, USA)
Key Largo (John Huston, 1948, USA)
My Beautiful Laundrette (Stephen Frears, 1985, UK)
The Omega Man (Boris Sagal, 1971, USA)
Runaway Train (Andrey Konchalovskiy, 1985, USA)
Head-On (Fatih Akin, 2004, Germany/Turkey)
Youth Without Youth (Francis Ford Coppola, 2007, USA/Romania/France/Italy/Germany)
One Night in Turin (James Erskine, 2010, UK)
Scream 4 (Wes Craven, 2011, USA)
Twilight Zone: The Movie (Joe Dante/John Landis/Steven Spielberg/George Miller, 1983, USA)
The Discreet Charm Of The Bourgeoisie (Luis Bunuel, 1972, France/Italy/Spain)
They Live (John Carpenter, USA, 1988)
Rubber (Quentin Depieux, 2010, France/Angola)
Red Riding Hood (Catherine Hardwicke, 2011, USA/Canada)
A Nightmare on Elm Street Part 2: Freddy's Revenge (Jack Sholder, 1985, USA)
The Happening (M. Night Shyamalan, 2008, USA/France/India)
Your Highness (David Gordon Green, USA, 2011)
Sucker Punch (Zack Snyder, USA/Canada, 2011)

I'm going out to the states to redeem the social outcasts. My only real ambition is to cultivate Texas. I love Texas. You must watch "The last picture show". That film! It was my first real sexual relationship.

(in reply to Rebenectomy)
Post #: 3815
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/5/2011 10:39:24 PM   
matty_b

Body Snatchers (Abel Ferrara)

The third, and really rather good, adaptation of Jack Finney's classic sci-fi/horror novel sees Ferrara rather wittily place the action on an army base - with endless routines, drills and commands obeyed unquestionably, how can you tell who's human and who's a pod person? At 80 minutes it feels rather minor compared to the wider scale of the 50s and 70s version, but its tight running time lends itself well to a growing sense of tension, and it's stunningly shot at times. There are really excellent, chilling details throughout such as a creepy title sequence, random body parts found littering the army base and an entire daygroup of children all producing the same, meaningless scrawl of a picture - aside from one poor new arrival, bemused by the cold hive mind of his playmates. Gabrielle Anwar makes a fetching heroine - and it's a rare film where the teenage protagonist is not a shrieking irritant - but Meg Tilly steals the film away with as her terrifying step-mum from another planet. (4)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to TRM)
Post #: 3816
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 4/5/2011 11:27:46 PM   
Angelus

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

The third, and really rather good, adaptation of Jack Finney's classic sci-fi/horror novel sees Ferrara rather wittily place the action on an army base - with endless routines, drills and commands obeyed unquestionably, how can you tell who's human and who's a pod person? At 80 minutes it feels rather minor compared to the wider scale of the 50s and 70s version, but its tight running time lends itself well to a growing sense of tension, and it's stunningly shot at times. There are really excellent, chilling details throughout such as a creepy title sequence, random body parts found littering the army base and an entire daygroup of children all producing the same, meaningless scrawl of a picture - aside from one poor new arrival, bemused by the cold hive mind of his playmates. Gabrielle Anwar makes a fetching heroine - and it's a rare film where the teenage protagonist is not a shrieking irritant - but Meg Tilly steals the film away with as her terrifying step-mum from another planet. (4)

I've always liked this one. "There's no-one... like you... left."

"Your toast has been burnt, and no amount of scraping will remove the black parts!"

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 3817
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/5/2011 12:36:46 AM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

ORIGINAL: TheDudeAbides

I've liked Hoult in other things. Thanks to ITV 3, I've had more than a fair chance to watch About A Boy over the past couple of years. The fact that I even remember him in a movie that starred Toni Collette means he must do something right.

But oh God... I just remembered him in A Single Man. Yeah, no, I take it back. He's awful. Sorry.

The reason I hate Nicholas Hoult?
Look at who he is dating:

[image]http://img.poptower.com/pic-43365/jennifer-lawrence.jpg?d=600[/image]

Just a teensy bit jealous.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to TheDudeAbides)
Post #: 3818
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/5/2011 5:01:50 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

44. The Vault Of Horror (1st view, 1973, Roy Ward Baker) - 4/5*
Portmanteau horror film starring Terry-Thomas, Curt Jürgens, Tom Baker and Denholm Elliot. Vampires, voodoo curses, murderous Indian rope tricks. It's all good fun.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 3819
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/5/2011 8:16:10 AM   
matty_b

quote:

ORIGINAL: Angelus

quote:

ORIGINAL: matty_b

I've always liked this one. "There's no-one... like you... left."

Yeah, terrifying line. Tilly's scary even before she gets snatched.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to Angelus)
Post #: 3820
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/5/2011 9:18:12 AM   
Gram123

004) The Road (John Hillcoat, USA, 2009, BD) - 8.0
Mostly very goood, though the handling of the very end knocks it down a place or two.

Stand up:

001) Sean Lock: Lockipedia Live (UK, 2010, DVD) - 6.5
The worst bit of the show unfortunately was the "Lockipedia" stuff. It just didn't work, as evidenced by the DVD extra containing another 20 mins of that stuff that was cut from the gig. The rest was fine, though.

Plus a commentary:

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Edgar Wright, Michael Bacall & Bryan Lee O'Malley)

Gram123's Top Songs Project

(in reply to matty_b)
Post #: 3821
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/5/2011 2:01:36 PM   
Pigeon Army

Short reviews of three weeks of films.

03. Le Samouraï (1967, Jean-Pierre Melville, FRN/ITA) – 5/5
Anchored by a magnificent Delon performance, Le Samourai is the kind of film whose style, whose tension, whose cool comes effortlessly - everything about it just fits into place and comes together to tell a simple, yet incredibly satisfying, tale with great emotional resonance and incredible visual storytelling. Delon is perfect as Jeff Costello, the distant, calculating hitman whose carefully-ordered life starts falling apart when the police pull him in after a hit - the beats all come naturally to him, but he allows us glimpses of moments where he knows everything's going to shit and there's no way of escaping it; he's cold and he's glib, but he's still very human and he's not hard to invest in given his pursuers, a tenacious and obnoxious police chief on one hand and his shady employer on the other. The cinematography is second-to-none, matter-of-fact and yet generating an aloof atmosphere to go with Costello, one that seems to portray the city as a thing of his to manipulate to his own ends; the soundtrack is equally brilliant, a rich 1940s throwback of a score that emphasises where Jeff's come from and where he's going. It's classical storytelling at its finest and classical filmmaking at its most assured.

07. Nueve reinas (Nine Queens) (2000, Fabián Bielinsky, ARG) – 4.5/5
I fucking love con films and Bielinsky's verite take on the subgenre is borderline brilliant. Ricardo Darin and Gaston Pauls make a winning duo as Marcos, an old hand with a distinct lack of morals, and Juan, a low-level con who just wants to stay in the shadows. Their uneasy chemistry is perfect and they're a delight to watch as they one-up each other with low-level cons before being roped into a big deal revolving around a visiting millionaire, a set of rare stamps and the hotel Marcos' hostile sister helps manage. It's perfect in the same way the con in The Sting is perfect - it's a watertight mystery that nevertheless keeps you guessing, but it compliments its (always-appealing) confidence games with the Marcos and Juan's constant power plays and shifts in dominance and a realistic edge that makes it, oddly, more satisfying - there's something grounded about this con that makes it more human, more entertaining.

10. La double vie de Véronique (The Double Life of Veronique)(1991, Krzysztof Kieslowski, FRN/POL/NOR) – 4.5/5*
I'll admit I wasn't paying the fullest attention when this was on - my flatmates were more focused on it than I was because I was working on an essay - but it's testament to the film that it still feels familiar (and unforgettable) three years after I last saw it. It's more a sensory experience than a narrative one, which is no big issue given how incredible Kieslowski is at evoking the feel of a leaf or the appearance of something through a ball or the sounds of a train station or the joy of singing - and not just at calling you to remember it, but at actually rejuvenating those sensations (or introducing them). That the film's narrative is structured around the feeling that someone, somewhere, feels the same things you do is no surprise, as Kieslowski is trying to draw out sensory experiences we've all had and make them universal, and by god he succeeds. It helps that Irene Jacob is excellent in the lead, bubbly and likable even as an aura of being haunted hangs over here, and that Idziak's cinematography and Preisner's score are top-notch (Idziak turns in career-best stuff here).

18. Batoru rowaiaru (Battle Royale) (2000, Kinji Fukasaku, JPN) – 4.5/5**
Pitch-perfect satire with a glorious central performance from Takeshi Kitano, a man who carries all the anxieties, bitterness and mistrust of a generation who blames everything on society on "them kids". It's a bit blunt and some of the acting feels ripped from an anime, but it's incredible fun and as vicious as a satire can get.

31. Micmacs à tire-larigot (Micmacs) (2009, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, FRN) – 4/5*
On a rewatch, it's clear that there are issues with Micmacs, not in the least how it is basically a series of complex comedy setpieces strung together with the barest of plot (though, to be fair, sabotaging arms dealers is a pretty awesome plot). It's basically the closest thing we've got to a live-action Looney Tunes (sorry, Gremlins 2 and Joe Dante in general), but a lot of the character interaction feels a bit cobbled together as an afterthought, almost as if artifice is more important than the people deploying it - the relationship between Bazil and La Mome is a bit of a threadbare pastiche of old screwball comedies and not much else; Calculette and Remington are exceptionally hard done by; Bazil's motivations feel like they've given way to some sort of gleeful malice at messing with these guys, the bullet in his head a punchline rather than a point up until the Youtube finale (which annoys me for no real reason).

58. The Underneath (1995, Steven Soderbergh, USA) – 3.5/5
Revisiting for an essay, I really like what Soderbergh does with colour here - there's a sense of dread overhanging everything, from the toxic greens of the buildup to the heist to the cold, crisp blues of the flashbacks to the shadow-heavy finale. The whole thing feels like it's building up to an inevitable tragedy of Michael's own doing, he just doesn't know it yet - as a result, it's easier to take Michael's character as a bit of a dick ignorant of what he does to other people, because while there's sympathy for him, he's pretty much a dick 100% of the way through. The only problem is that it feels like a less substantive retelling of Criss Cross with a revised ending - the doomed romance of Criss Cross works far better than the will they-won't they-man up and make a fucking decision Michael that marks The Underneath. Also, wtf was Soderbergh thinking with Michael's brother. He's hilarious, but so fucking out of place. He's like Eli Roth in Basterds.

64. Manhunter (1986, Michael Mann, USA) - 3.5/5*
I wonder if Snyder ever looked to this film for inspiration, given his soundtracking MO. There's several scenes in here where Mann breaks out the synth rock with overly literal lyrics to mark really dramatic moments and it works perfectly - the "In the Gadda da Vida" climax is plain brilliant, for example, and the scene where Dollarhyde's outside Reba's house going apeshit in his van to the tune of "Strong As I Am" by The Prime Movers is basically what Snyder's spent his last two films trying and failing to do with popular music cues. It's also a really beautiful film at points, with Mann really coming into his own in his use of colour and space (try telling me the scene in which Freddy Lounds meets his fate isn't incredibly made), and the film features excellent performances from Tom Noonan and Brian Cox as the film's two villains (Lang is great as Lounds as well, his loathsomeness punching through every word he says). However, it also has a really anodyne performance from William Petersen, who really can't handle the monologues Will Graham is given, and the film's serial killer narrative is a pretty run-of-the-mill CSI-special story.

70. Thief (1981, Michael Mann, USA) – 3/5

There's traces of the Mann to come (LOLPUN) in his first theatrical film, particularly the Mann obsessed with digital cameras - the cinematography, editing and writing here all aims at a level of realism for the most part, the beautiful camerawork (that opening shot travelling down the fire escapes) and grizzled genre dialogue (those fucking cops) thankfully spare. The matter-of-fact way with which Mann approaches the heists is also quite interesting and captivating in the way it pulls your attention to how normal this is and how the genre trappings of gangsters and bent cops seem like so much more of a transgression. However, Caan's Frank isn't a particularly sympathetic person - he's like the Stephanois with the redemption arc removed - and his abrasive, don't-give-a-fuck-when-I-actually-do attitude really makes it hard to get on his side; it's even harder when, in the third act, he makes an increasingly bizarre series of decisions that serve a thematic purpose but feel like a major asspull in order to make a half-baked point.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rinc
She's supposed to be 13! I'd want her to be very attractive though

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pigeon Army
Stop being mean to Deviation

No.

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 3822
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/5/2011 2:16:36 PM   
Pigeon Army

APRIL YES APRIL YES APRIL YES

1.    Nueve reinas (Nine Queens) (2000, Fabián Bielinsky, ARG) – 4.5/5
2.    La double vie de Véronique (The Double Life of Veronique)(1991, Krzysztof Kieslowski, FRN/POL/NOR) – 4.5/5*
3.    Solaris (2002, Steven Soderbergh, USA) – 4.5/5
4.    Far From Heaven (2002, Todd Haynes, USA) – 4.5/5
5.    Batoru rowaiaru (Battle Royale) (2000, Kinji Fukasaku, JPN) – 4.5/5**
6.    Yi mei dao ren (Vampire vs Vampire) (1989, Lam Ching-ying, HKG) - 4.5/5*
7.    Hot Fuzz (2007, Edgar Wright, UK/FRN/USA) – 4.5/5***
8.    The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (1962, Tony Richardson, UK) – 4.5/5
9.    Rubber (2010, Quentin Dupieux, FRN) – 4/5
10.    Gray’s Anatomy (1996, Steven Soderbergh, UK/USA) – 4/5

11.    Micmacs à tire-larigot (Micmacs) (2009, Jean-Pierre Jeunet, FRN) – 4/5*
12.    Withnail & I (1987, Bruce Robinson, UK) – 4/5
13.    Potiche (2010, François Ozon, FRN) – 4/5
14.    And Everything Is Going Fine (2010, Steven Soderbergh, USA) – 4/5
15.    Gegen die Wand (Head-On) (2004, Fatih Akin, GER/TRK) – 4/5
16.    The Limey (1999, Steven Soderbergh, USA) – 4/5
17.    Ocean’s Eleven (2001, Steven Soderbergh, USA) – 4/5***
18.    Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974, Sam Peckinpah, USA/MEX) – 4/5
19.    Out of Sight (1998, Steven Soderbergh, USA) – 3.5/5*
20.    Japanese Story (2003, Sue Brooks, AUS) – 3.5/5

21.    Solyaris (Solaris) (1972, Andrey Tarkovsky, RUS) – 3.5/5
22.    Da lui toi (Gallants) (2010, Clement Cheng & Derek Kwok, HKG) – 3.5/5
23.    The Underneath (1995, Steven Soderbergh, USA) – 3.5/5*
24.    Ocean’s Twelve (2004, Steven Soderbergh, USA) – 3.5/5**
25.    Sucker Punch (2011, Zack Snyder, USA/CAN) – 3/5
26.    Full Frontal (2002, Steven Soderbergh, USA) – 3/5
27.    Tucker & Dale vs Evil (2010, Eli Craig, CAN) – 3/5
28.    Bubble (2005, Steven Soderbergh, USA) – 3/5
29.    Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie (The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie) (1972, Luis Buñuel, FRN/ITA/SPN) – 2.5/5
30.    Ocean’s Thirteen (2007, Steven Soderbergh, USA) – 2/5*

31.    Bad Boys II (2003, Michael Bay, USA) – 1.5/5
32.    The Fast and the Furious (2001, Rob Cohen, USA/GER) – 1.5/5
33.    Sons of the Desert (1933, William A. Seiter, USA) – 1.5/5

FILMS BY DECADE
2010s - 06
2000s - 15
1990s - 05
1980s - 02
1970s - 03
1960s - 01
1950s - 00
1940s - 03
1930s - 01
1920s - 00
1910s - 00
1900s - 00

FILMS BY COUNTRY
Argentina  -  01
Australia  -  01
Canada  -  01
France  -  03
Hong Kong  -  02
Japan  -  01
Russia/Soviet Union  -  01
UK  -  02
USA  -  13

Mixed  -  08

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Pigeon Army)
Post #: 3823
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/5/2011 3:07:57 PM   
Deviation

quote:

Mostly very goood, though the handling of the very end knocks it down a place or two.

Not that I'm complaining, but knowing you the above review reads like something you'd offer 6.0

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49
I really wish I could go down to see Privates

Post #: 3824
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/5/2011 7:14:29 PM   
paul_ie86

For my 10000th post here's some extra short reviews

50. Le charme discret de la bourgeoisie (Luis Buñuel, 1972)
I liked it, but I'm not exactly sure why.

77. Bad Boys II (Michael Bay, 2003)
I enjoyed this much more than I expected.

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 3825
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/5/2011 11:13:48 PM   
Rinc

9. The Right Stuff (Philip Kaufman, 1983) - 7*
Paradoxically the actual space race was shorter than this film. I liked it though.

29. The Lion in Winter (Anthony Harvey, 1968) - 6*
I was disappointed there wasn't an actual lion. But Hannibal Lecter and James Bond made up for it.

32. Mr. Deeds Goes to Town (Frank Capra, 1936) - 6*
Gary Cooper is one of my favourite actors, yes indeed.

54. High Society (Charles Walters, 1956) - 5*
If The Philadelphia Story was a wedding it would be Charles and Diana's. If High Society was a wedding it would be Andrew and Fergie's.

No spoilers please:

Invisiotext:
[ color=#F1F1F1 ]text[ /color ]

(in reply to Rinc)
Post #: 3826
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 5/5/2011 11:37:18 PM   
Epiphany Demon

quote:

24.    Ocean’s Twelve (2004, Steven Soderbergh, USA) – 3.5/5**

This is disgusting.

Post #: 3827
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 6/5/2011 12:23:36 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

ORIGINAL: Epiphany Demon

quote:

24.    Ocean's Twelve (2004, Steven Soderbergh, USA) – 3.5/5**

This is disgusting.

Ocean's Twelve is good - stylish, funny and with a breezy 'we're having a good time' vibe to it. Bad Boys II will never deserve to be in a sentence with the word 'good', unless that sentence is "Bad Boys II is not good, in fact, it is pretty terrible."

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

Post #: 3828
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 6/5/2011 12:24:44 AM   
MonsterCat

Bad Boys 2 really is a wretched piece of work. Sorry, ED.

Films watched in 2013

Post #: 3829
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 6/5/2011 12:27:22 AM   
Gram123

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation
quote:

Not that I'm complaining, but knowing you the above review reads like something you'd offer 6.0

If I'd had more time and inclination, I'd have given a more detailed review, which would have made it clear that the score is appropriate. Probably.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 3830
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 6/5/2011 12:30:53 AM   
Gram123

My April went...

002) Inception  (Christopher Nolan, USA, 2010, BD) - 8.0

006) Scott Pilgrim vs. The World  (Edgar Wright, USA / UK / Canada, 2010, BD) - 7.5
015) Zatoichi #1: The Tale of Zatoichi  (Misumi Kenji, Japan, 1962, DVD) - 7.0
021) Fantastic Planet  (René Laloux, France / Czechoslovakia, 1973, Broadcast) - 6.5
026) You, The Living  (Roy Andersson, Sweden / Germany / France / Denmark etc, 2007, Broadcast) - 6.5
036) The Happening  (M. Night Shyamalan, USA / India / France, 2008, Broadcast) - 2.5

Plus 1 Stand up:

002) Bill Bailey: Dandelion Mind  (UK, 2010, DVD) - 5.5

and 1 commentary:

- Scott Pilgrim vs. The World (Michael Cera, Jason Schwartzman, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Ellen Wong & Brandon Routh)

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 3831
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 6/5/2011 12:31:57 AM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

quote:

quote:

If I'd had more time and inclination, I'd have given a more detailed review, which would have made it clear that the score is appropriate. Probably.

I'm sure it's appropriate. I was just ribbing there.

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 3832
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 6/5/2011 12:48:33 AM   
Epiphany Demon

Whatever

(in reply to MonsterCat)
Post #: 3833
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 6/5/2011 12:57:09 AM   
Gram123

005) Return of the 5 Deadly Venoms  (Chang Cheh, Hong Kong, 1978, DVD) - 8.0
Unrelated to 5 Deadly Venoms except in director and several of the actors, yet given this title in the US as opposed to the superior original Crippled Avengers. Bloody Americans. They're not even playing the "Venoms"...

Anyway, in the latter period of Shaw Brothers studios, they were increasingly looking for new spins on the kung fu genre, with this being a fairly outlandish addition. Black Tiger Dao Tian-Du (Chen Kuan Tai, Executioners from Shaolin) is out and about, when some rivals aiming to kill him turn up at his gaff, so they proceed to chop off his wife's legs and his sons arms instead. Upon returning home and surveying the scene, he's understandably miffed, and quikly dispatches the trio. Dao's wife doesn't make it, but he has some fancy weapon-loaded iron arms fashioned for his young 'un.
Later on, father and son get riled up at the slightest thing, and go about crippling anyone who gets in their way, in diverse and fiendish ways.

Four lads cop the Dao family wrath - one blinded, one made deaf and dumb, one gets his lower legs chopped off and the last one has his head squeezed until all the sense drains out of him. Fortunately, they manage to get trained up and given the necessary props to go back and confront the Dao's clan.

Chang's "Venom Mob" play the parts of Dao Jnr and the injured fellas. They all get the chance to showcase their various talents, be it Philip Kwok's amazing skill with the pole, Sun Chien's kicking ability, Chiang Sheng's wild acrobatics and so on. Each of the four crippled avengers gets an opponent to battle before the big showdown with the Papa Dao and son. The training and fight scenes are great, the best I've seen in a while, particularly the battle in which Chen Shuen (Kwok) and Wang Yi (Chiang) use metal rings to fight against Dao Chang (Lu Feng). There are some annoying moments - primarily the mugging by Wang Yi (the stupid one) and Blacksmith Wei (the deaf-mute one, played by Lo Meng), and as you'd expect from a 70s HK movie with a plot like this, it's quite silly in parts, but despite that, it's a hugely enjoyable martial arts flick.

< Message edited by Gram123 -- 6/5/2011 1:03:49 AM >

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 3834
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 6/5/2011 1:01:12 AM   
Gram123

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gram123

quote:

quote:

I'm sure it's appropriate. I was just ribbing there.

It could still drop! Nah, not really. I'm pretty sure that's about right for it in my crazy rating system. The end did bug me a little though.
I don't recall seeing your rating for The Road, Devi, but I'd stick a square tenner on it being a 5/5...

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 3835
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 6/5/2011 1:18:54 AM   
Deviation

Don't take it for granted, it could have been a 4/5................oh who am I kidding?

quote:

quote:

(in reply to Gram123)
Post #: 3836
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 6/5/2011 1:26:50 AM   
Pigeon Army

quote:

Don't take it for granted, it could have been a 4/5................oh who am I kidding?

Haha you're so fucking predictable.

Also no-one comments on my reviews.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 3837
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 6/5/2011 1:41:59 AM   
Deviation

Nobody does with my reviews either...man up and accept it. 

quote:

quote:

Post #: 3838
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 6/5/2011 1:55:45 AM   
Pigeon Army

Where'd that sig quote come from, Devi? It's hilarious.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 3839
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 6/5/2011 2:01:31 AM   
Deviation

Oh, Miles told me. First he was condoning brutal dictatorship, saying that it was necessary for the well-being for the state...then he said that.

Olaf was suitably appalled.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 3840
Page:   <<   < prev  126 127 [128] 129 130   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 Page: <<   < prev  126 127 [128] 129 130   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI