Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 7/4/2011 11:17:18 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: impqueen

10. Witchfinder General (Reeves, 1968) USA (Tenth + View) 9.2
I know I'm being far too generous with my score (I am on a VP binge) and yet it's a really impressive film. Of late I've been watching a lot of 1930/1940s comedies so maybe my guard was down (despite knowing what to expect) but the bleakness of Witchfinder took the wind out of me. It's an exceptional look at sadism, English history (accurate or not) and hypocrisy.

41. Blood on Satan's Claw (Haggard, 1971) UK (First View) 8.0
Wut!? I've never been the maternal type and young people unnerve me more than they probably have the right to do so, the children in the 17th Century are even worse, they are spooky as hell and do quite unspeakable things. I like a film to surprise and shock me (preferably if it's a horror) and so often I come away disappointed, not so this time, a truly creepy film, enjoyable in a horrific sort of way.

48. The Wicker Man (Hardy, 1973) UK (Fifth View) 7.8

I first watched this about ten years ago and I disliked it immensely, I think it was Britt Ekland frolicking around like a bint that put me off. I had to watch it again a few years later for studious reasons and I disliked it less and really "enjoyed" the ending, on the two subsequent viewings (one with an ex , the other with my brother) I was far more engrossed than I had been before and I really, really liked the ending and Edward Woodward's performance. On this viewing those things remained but it was aided by the momentum of Witchfinder and Claw.

I'd have rated them in the reverse order to you, but all three are among my favourites of all time. Have you heard the League of Gentlemen commentary track for Satan's Claw? One of the most entertaining things I've ever heard.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 3211
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 7/4/2011 11:31:28 PM   
impqueen

I haven't no but I can imagine. I appreciate and enjoy The Wicker Man with each subsequent viewing so it'll probably over take BOSC soon enough. I am glad though to have this trilogy now, when I get BOSC on DVD it'll be repeated at least once a year, maybe as a Double Trilogy Bill on Halloween with Demon Seed, Possession and Max mon amour ( I really need to get a better film for that particular threesome).  

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 3212
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 7/4/2011 11:37:30 PM   
rawlinson

What I love about all three is they feel so authentic.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 3213
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 7/4/2011 11:55:50 PM   
impqueen

I agree.

What I like is that there isn't anything overtly supernatural about what happens but instead there's a lot of superstition and every day people doing unthinkable acts. I also really like how the landscape is used, especially in Witchfinder and  BOSC (though obviously Wicker Man has a location all it's own), they show the beauty and at times utter bleakness of the English countryside it's a great help in developing each films character.

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 3214
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 2:07:03 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

1. A Town Called Panic (1st view, 2009, Stéphane Aubier/Vincent Patar) - 5/5*
2. Skeletons (1st view, 2010, Nick Whitfield) - 4/5*
3. Thor (1st view, 20100, Kenneth Branagh) - 4/5*
4. Iron Man (3rd view, 2008, Jon Favreau) - 4/5
5. Source Code (1st view, 2011, Duncan Jones) - 4/5*
6. Idiocracy (1st view, 2006, Mike Judge) - 4/5*
7. Scream 4 (1st view, 2011, Wes Craven) - 4/5*
8. Quarantine (1st view, 2008, John Erick Dowdle) - 4/5*
9. The House By The Cemetery (1st view, 1981, Lucio Fulci) - 4/5*
10. Resident Evil: Extinction (1st view, 2007, Russell Mulcahy) - 4/5*

11. Tron: Legacy (1st view, 2010, Joseph Kosinski) - 3/5*
12. The Killer Inside Me (1st view, 2010, Michael Winterbottom) - 3/5*
13. Date Night (1st view, 2010, Shawn Levy) - 3/5*
14. Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole (1st view, 2010, Zack Snyder) - 3/5*
15. Walking Tall (2nd view, 2004, Kevin Bray) - 3/5
16. The Rocker (1st view, 2008, Peter Cattaneo) - 3/5*
17. You Don't Mess With The Zohan (1st view, 2008, Dennis Dugan) - 3/5*
18. Machete (1st view, 2010, Ethan Maniquis/Robert Rodriguez) - 3/5*
19. Little Fockers (1st view, 2010, Paul Weitz) - 2/5*
20. The Other Guys (1st view, 2010, 2010, Adam McKay) - 2/5*

21. Tenderness (1st view, 2009, John Polson) - 2/5*
22. Komodo (1st view, 1999, Michael Lantieri) - 2/5*
23. Grown Ups (1st view, 2010, Dennis Dugan) - 2/5*
24. Your Highness (1st view, 2011, David Gordon Green) - 2/5*

Shorts

1. Window Cleaners (1940, Jack King)
2. Fur Of Flying (2010, Matthew O'Callaghan)
3. The Sandman (1991, Paul Berry)
4. The Sand Castle (1977, Co Hoedeman)
5. The Limejuice Mystery or Who Spat in Grandfather's Porridge? (1930, Jack Harrison)

19. Source Code (1st view, 2011, Duncan Jones) - 4/5*
I think I've just read a review for this that spoiled the end of Quantum Leap for me. I'll be unhappy if that's true!

53. You Don't Mess With The Zohan (1st view, 2008, Dennis Dugan) - 3/5*

< Message edited by Gimli The Dwarf -- 1/5/2011 12:37:09 AM >

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 3215
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 2:18:41 AM   
paul_ie86

BOSC is on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=triPkcSYVkY

My Group Project's facebook page. Please like

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 3216
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 3:14:26 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

I agree.

What I like is that there isn't anything overtly supernatural about what happens but instead there's a lot of superstition and every day people doing unthinkable acts. I also really like how the landscape is used, especially in Witchfinder and  BOSC (though obviously Wicker Man has a location all it's own), they show the beauty and at times utter bleakness of the English countryside it's a great help in developing each films character.

Absolutely, there's actually something quite shocking about how effectively they capture a sense of period. They don't have the budget of so many historical dramas, but they have a sense of immediacy about them that puts you right in the moment.

quote:

ORIGINAL: paul_ie86

BOSC is on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=triPkcSYVkY

Excellent, some great films on the sidebar too. Messiah of Evil, Horror Express, The Abominable Dr. Phibes.

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 3217
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 6:57:27 AM   
elab49

I think you missed my Horror Express review at the very end of last month

Gimli - could you give me a link for that review so I can have a look after I see Source Code. If I agree, I'm sure someone on here can get an address for us and we've seen more than enough films on how to deal with people like that.

Lips Together and Blow - blogtasticness and Glasgow Film Festival GFF13!

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

Annual Poll 2013 - All Lists Welcome

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 3218
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 7:05:41 AM   
Gimli The Dwarf

That sounds like a plan! Review's gone now though, it was on another forum and it's been edited. I'm going to do my absolute best to try and forget I read it.

So, sir, we let him have it right up! And I have to report, sir, he did not like it, sir.

Fellow scientists, poindexters, geeks.

Yeah, Mr. White! Yeah, science!

Much more better!

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3219
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 7:07:21 AM   
rawlinson

I was going to ask you to post what they said about Quantum Leap so I could see if it was right.  

(in reply to Gimli The Dwarf)
Post #: 3220
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 7:07:58 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: elab49

Don't remember seeing it, no. This thread?

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3221
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 8:13:50 AM   
matty_b

Basically...what everyone said about The Wicker Man, Blood on Satan's Claw and The Witchfinder General. Terrific triple-bill there.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cool Breeze
Mattyb is a shining example of what the perfect Empire Forum member is.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 3222
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 8:36:11 AM   
elab49

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Don't remember seeing it, no. This thread?

Top of page 103.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation] LIKE AMERICA'S SWEETHEARTS TOO. IT MADE ME LAUGH A LOT AND THOUGHT IT WAS WITTY. ALSO I FEEL SLOWLY DYING INSIDE. I KEEP AGREEING WITH ELAB.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 3223
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 9:23:25 AM   
rawlinson

quote:

(but not in them, oh no – Monsters? We're British! – has to be the best line in the film).

This. The delivery is priceless as well.

Species isn't very good though, is it.

(in reply to elab49)
Post #: 3224
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 9:35:08 AM   
swordsandsandals

Genuinely too scared to watch The Wicker Man. Probably because it feels like it could happen in my back door.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rawlinson

Swords is right about everything.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hood_Man

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 3225
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 9:46:22 AM   
rawlinson

Anyone ever see the attempt to do a Welsh Wicker Man? Genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen in my life. Craig Fairbrass as a Welsh journalist, ffs.

(in reply to swordsandsandals)
Post #: 3226
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 9:52:33 AM   
impqueen

Darklands!!!

Yes, always.

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 3227
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 10:02:36 AM   
rawlinson

That's the one.  Julien Richards is from Newport, he really should have known better. 

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 3228
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 1:49:02 PM   
elab49

NT Live King Lear (Grandage, 2011)

Lear is not my favourite Shakespeare. From the opening where you fall immediately into an amazingly childish outburst from the king in the midst of complex relationships, it can be difficult to settle into for a while. And while I loved the roles of Regan and Goneril when they are well-played, and they are very well-played here, I've never particularly liked the fact that these powerful and difficult women end up arguing over a man rather than over the power in the kingdom (only really once was Goneril allowed to snap at her weak husband that the laws would be hers, not his). Here the former is not helped by the cast circled on stage which means some are speaking with their backs to the audience, making it even more difficult to get an initial handle on things.

But it is a play that often produces some stunning performances and you can't argue with that here. Jacobi's opening as a petulant tyrant whose favourite plaything won't play the fawning game immediately drives out all sympathy for him, so the journey back to sympathy for the character is a hard one but beautifully played. Jacobi's journey into an often gentle but desperate madness commands the stage. It's an absolutely tremendous performance, and the slight harshness to his voice, a hangover I assume from losing it a couple of weeks before, only adds to the characterisation oddly enough. The Fool is underused, lost in the final action, but Ron Cook's take on the role adds weariness to the bite of his tongue. The heat of triangle of Goneril, Regan and Edmund leaps off the stage at you, particularly with McKee who barely takes her eyes of him from the moment she appears. While Regan's lustful enjoyment of violence is well done, it is McKee that takes the honours, although Newman is also excellent. The only weak link is the chap who plays Cornwall, and it is, sadly, a very weak one.

Best part of the production is the storm scene. The work here rightly took home the awards at the Oliviers. The stage setting is somewhat bare – it's almost as if it takes place inside a wooden crate, with the slats stonewashed white. But when the light goes down and the light shines through the cracks, and mist of sorts seems to float high across the stage then freeze in light it's as if the world stops on stage – and from that freeze Jacobi's spectral vocal sends shivers down your spine. And then he and the fool move on through the storm, then freeze again. It's one of the most astonishing scenes I have ever seen on a stage and I'd watch it again simply for this – all kudos to Adam Cork's sound score and Neil Austin's lighting.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 3229
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 3:55:52 PM   
chris_scott01

quote:

maybe as a Double Trilogy Bill on Halloween with Demon Seed, Possession and Max mon amour ( I really need to get a better film for that particular threesome).  [/size]

Max does seem the odd one out there, even though I haven't seen the other 2. Why is it with them, out of curiosity?

I can't see myself watching Max again but some of it was hilarious. (Hilarious in the same way a Bresson film is that is)

rapidite! rapidite!

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 3230
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 4:01:38 PM   
impqueen

quote:

ORIGINAL: chris_scott01

quote:

maybe as a Double Trilogy Bill on Halloween with Demon Seed, Possession and Max mon amour ( I really need to get a better film for that particular threesome).  

Max does seem the odd one out there, even though I haven't seen the other 2. Why is it with them, out of curiosity?

I can't see myself watching Max again but some of it was hilarious. (Hilarious in the same way a Bresson film is that is)

Unusual / None Natural Pairings.

Yes, always.

(in reply to chris_scott01)
Post #: 3231
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 7:55:26 PM   
Deviation

Branded to Kill (Seijun Suzuki, 1967, JPN)- 5/5

Cool, surreal and hilarious with some of the oddest editing I've ever seen. The plot is equally odd and ludicrous (a hitman has a fetish for rice) and Suzuki has enough sense to realize this.

Darkness, Light, Darkness (Jan Svankmayer, 1990, CZE, short film)- 5/5
Alice (Jan Svankmayer, 1988, CZE/ UK/ SWI/ W. GER)- 4/5

The short is mesmerizing, playful, funny and occasionally disgusting. The film is less well realized, with some choices which irritate greatly (the extreme close-up on the lips becomes repetitive fast) and a feeling that it should be shorter. It is however a unique take on Lewis' novel, unlike anything seen before with some of the most striking, original visuals I've seen this year (caterpillar is a high-point), and it kept my interest throughout.

Alice in Wonderland (Clyde Geronimi, Wilfred Jackson, Hamilton Luske, 1951, USA)- 4/5

Bizarrely, it's less fun, more disjointed and uneven than Svanky's film, however Disney's classic is by no means a mediocre film. It has some of the best jokes to be found in Disney's canon, the animation is great and the episodic structure still works better than the structure used in Burton's abomination.

Beat the Devil (Tony Scott, 2002, USA, short film)- 4/5

Dear God, what's this? An advert so good that you forget that you're watching an advert for BMW? A film filled with Scott's tedious histrionics but still comes out as balls-out fun? This thing shouldn't exist.

Beauty and the Beast
(Gary Trousdalem Kirk Wise, 1991, USA)- 4/5

We all know the plot, with all its incredible animation, memorable scenes, FUN fun fun fun characters and breezy pace. What I didn't remember was how the song about the objects wanting to be human again lags the film and that the plot holes can be as big as a blue whale.

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (Andrew Adamson, 2008, USA/ POL/ CZE/ SLO)- 3/5

It's passable, really passable. The acting is just fine by every member involved in the cast, it threatens to do something fascinating with the villains at times, the battle sequences are outstanding and for its long length, it passes of as decent entertainment. Still, much better things could have been done if Adamson made his characters feel more developed, alive or interesting rather than barely developed.The side-characters are one-note things left outside of the plot for most of the time and appear sporadically. Surely with a running time of 150 minutes and with only some 45 minutes dedicated to actual fighting you'd imagine the film to have time to develop its characters. The magical world of Narnia is again, quite nondescript from every fantasy world ever put on film. It's a well made film and mostly harmless fun, but that script and a lack of imagination lets it down.

And Aslan is a cunt.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dpp1978
There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

I really wish I could go down to see Privates

(in reply to impqueen)
Post #: 3232
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 7:59:36 PM   
rawlinson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deviation

Has PA yelled at you yet?

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 3233
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 8:01:54 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: rawlinson

quote:

Has PA yelled at you yet?

No, Piles did. He didn't like my opinion on those freaking lips.

< Message edited by Deviation -- 8/4/2011 8:06:43 PM >

quote:

There are certainly times where calling a person a cunt is not only reasonable, it is a gross understatement.

quote:

(in reply to rawlinson)
Post #: 3234
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 8:06:31 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

And Aslan is a cunt.

I'm fairly sure that's blasphemy.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 3235
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 8:07:38 PM   
Deviation

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

quote:

And Aslan is a cunt.

He deserved it. He deserved it more than the Christian God deserved the Northern Lights series.

quote:

quote:

Post #: 3236
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 8:09:49 PM   
swordsandsandals

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: swordsandsandals

quote:

And Aslan is a cunt.

He deserved it. He deserved it more than the Christian God deserved the Northern Lights series.

Seriously though, why do you say that?

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 3237
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 8:17:53 PM   
Epiphany Demon

Limitless - 7/10

Good fun, Cooper is very good but it becomes a bit too generic near the end.

Source Code - 8/10

Would have been a 9 if it wasn't for the last 3 minutes.

THE ALTERNATIVE LOOK AT BOB DYLAN'S DISCOGRAPHY - ONE DAY MAYBE I'LL FINISH IT

Post #: 3238
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 8:18:23 PM   
Deviation

SPOILERS

Aslan disappears for hundreds of years for no reason, abandoning and dooming the Narnias for many years. He doesn't bother to go and help them and expects people to just go looking for him. It would have been fine if he offered at least offered a proper reason to why he left Narnia but no such reason is offered. I might get that there might be an underlying religious theme at play here, but it is poorly represented and Aslan comes out as capricious.

SPOILERS END

quote:

quote:

Post #: 3239
RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 - 8/4/2011 8:21:28 PM   
swordsandsandals

Don't worry, I don't worship Aslan.

quote:

quote:

Swords smells like bum.

(in reply to Deviation)
Post #: 3240
Page:   <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Film Forums] >> Lists and Top 10s >> RE: Top 100 Films I've Watched This Year: 2011 Page: <<   < prev  106 107 [108] 109 110   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI