Register  |   Log In  |  
Follow us on   
Search   
Forum Home Register for Free! Log In Moderator Tickets FAQ Users Online

Small Screen - New guidelines on how to avoid spoilers -REVISED!

Logged in as: Guest
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Small Screen - New guidelines on how to avoid spoilers -REVISED! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Small Screen - New guidelines on how to avoid spoilers ... - 9/10/2005 12:28:55 PM   
sharkboy

REVISED - 17 MAY 2006

The increase in popularity of downloading TV shows from across the pond has led to a situation where people are more likely to encounter spoilers in their threads, e.g.:

Poster 1 -"That new show that started last night looks pretty boring."
Poster 2 - "Ah, but it all gets better after his family are eaten by an alien in Episode 5"

So, some ground rules are required.

1.  Please try to restrict the number of threads posted - generally, one thread for downloaders, one for home brodcast is enough.  Remember, the Small Screen forum is bigger than one page, so SEARCH!!  If you feel your topic is unique enough to warrant its own thread, then by all means start one, but bear in mind that it may be locked if it becomes repetitive of other existing threads.

2.  Download threads - All download threads should be labelled "Downloaders - possible spoilers" or similar.  This is NOT a licence to post spoilers, but rather a warning that the episodes being debated may not have shown in the UK yet.

3.  UK broadcast threads - if the person who started the thread has labelled it "no spoilers", then spoilers are not welcome!  This includes comments from downloaders along the lines of those posted in my intro, hints to future developments, character arcs etc.  Even clues that something major is round the corner are not on.  Let the people who choose not to download enjoy the show in the way they want to.

4.  If you've got a spoiler that you really want to share, then keep it to PM.  Invite people to contact you, but make it clear that they'll be getting a spoiler in your return message.

5.  Posting to external sites that may contain spoilers is OK, as long as the forum post points this out clearly.  Any image posted in the threads should be spoiler-free.

6.  Spoiler-specific threads are a big no-no!  By all means, discuss hypotheses, theories, speculation etc, but refrain from clear spoilers.  If you know its going to happen, keep it to yourself or to PMs!

Part of the fun of shows like Lost is speculating about what's going on, and it's inevitable that such discussions may invite debate that ends up revealing some secret or other.  But most of the enjoyment of such shows comes from the surprise twists that crop up regularly.  So lets not spoil other people's enjoyment, eh boys and girls?

< Message edited by sharkboy -- 17/5/2006 6:07:11 PM >

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.
Post #: 1
RE: Small Screen - New guidelines on how to avoid spoil... - 9/10/2005 12:38:13 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

The family are eaten by aliens? Damn you Sharkboy!

But I agree, we need to keep spoilers away from the unspoiled. Nothing worse than knowing something you don't wanna!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 2
RE: Small Screen - New guidelines on how to avoid spoil... - 9/10/2005 1:14:02 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barefoot Doctor

The family are eaten by aliens? Damn you Sharkboy!

But I agree, we need to keep spoilers away from the unspoiled. Nothing worse than knowing something you don't wanna!

Sorry...  But, still, it was a pretty spectacular way for West Wing to jump the shark I think you'll agree.  Damn, I've done it again, haven't I?  I'll get my coat...

WWLD?

Every time we think we have measured our capacity to meet a challenge, we look up and we're reminded that that capacity may well be limitless

I left in love, in laughter, and in truth and wherever truth, love and laughter abide, I am there in spirit.

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 3
RE: Small Screen - New guidelines on how to avoid spoil... - 9/10/2005 1:18:20 PM   
James2183

How about posting the code to make posts invisble too? 

Hey bub, I aint finished with you yet!

"We do not beat the reaper by living longer. We beat the reaper by living well and living fully" - Randy Pausch

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Small Screen - New guidelines on how to avoid spoil... - 9/10/2005 1:20:28 PM   
Barefoot Doctor

Doesn't making the text pink usually work well for this?

One thing that annoys me is when posters put spoilers for future episodes in a thread, even though they clearly label it spoilers. It sets a precedent for discussing future spoilers and eventually a spoiler will be seen by someone who doesn't want to see them.

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 5
RE: Small Screen - New guidelines on how to avoid spoil... - 9/10/2005 1:26:40 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: James2183

How about posting the code to make posts invisble too? 

There was a problem with the previous incarnation of invisitext in that it didn't always work with Firefox, so rather than use it and risk unwittingly revealling spoilers, just adhere to the thread's request.

WWLD?

(in reply to James2183)
Post #: 6
RE: Small Screen - New guidelines on how to avoid spoil... - 9/10/2005 1:28:32 PM   
Captain Black

Disclaimer: I'm not having a go at anyone here, this is all written tongue in cheek even if it doesn't come across that way!

I would like to thank Sharkboy for starting this thread and whinge and the rest of you for completely ignoring me when I started one (try the last page on the small screen forum with 0 replies)!

Barefoot: I  would define anything not broadcast as an 'advanced spoiler', it should be clearly labelled as such and preferrably written in patented invisiotext. How to do that, James2183? Right, as Empire have not provided us with  a proper spoiler tag the best way is to make the text the same colour as the background. The background is: #F1F1F1 so if you would like to type a spoiler you need the color tag:

color=#F1F1F1

in square brackets [ ], then the close tag is

/color 

again in square brackets.

Right, that is the absolute last time I'm explaining how to do that. Many thanks.

(in reply to Barefoot Doctor)
Post #: 7
RE: Small Screen - New guidelines on how to avoid spoil... - 9/10/2005 2:01:14 PM   
Oddjob

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

Poster 2 - "Ah, but it all gets better after his family are eaten by an alien in Episode 5"

That's not a spoiler for that new show that Rik Mayall's in on ITV is it?!

(in reply to sharkboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Small Screen - New guidelines on how to avoid spoil... - 9/10/2005 2:03:45 PM   
sharkboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oddjob

quote:

ORIGINAL: sharkboy

That's not a spoiler for that new show that Rik Mayall's in on ITV is it?!

It's a well known fact that ITV comedies do not get better - they generally start at the bottom of the barrel and begin tunnelling...

WWLD?

(in reply to Oddjob)
Post #: 9
RE: Small Screen - New guidelines on how to avoid spoil... - 11/10/2005 11:02:33 AM   
RuffKut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Captain Black

Right, as Empire have not provided us with  a proper spoiler tag the best way is to make the text the same colour as the background.

The problem with that though is that the background for quotes is white, so if someone quotes the 'invisible' spoiler then it aint invisible no more. And as sharkyboy pointed out, Firefox sometimes has trouble with it too...

Right, that is the absolute last time I'm explaining that.

Diane, I'm holding in my hand a small box of chocolate bunnies...

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 10
RE: Small Screen - New guidelines on how to avoid spoil... - 11/10/2005 3:34:54 PM   
Captain Black

quote:

The problem with that though is that the background for quotes is white, so if someone quotes the 'invisible' spoiler then it aint invisible no more. And as sharkyboy pointed out, Firefox sometimes has trouble with it too...

Fair point, but surely people with consideration for other forum users wouldn't quote spoilers directly? No?

Hang on let's try....
quote:

Spoiled text here

I mean, come on, it's still quite difficult. It's a lot better than:

Star Wars Spoilers************************************

Vader is Luke's Dad!!!!!!!!

End Spoilers ***************************

I mean how are you supposed to read the end spoilers bit without actually skimming the text?

(in reply to RuffKut)
Post #: 11
RE: Small Screen - New guidelines on how to avoid spoil... - 13/10/2005 12:22:17 AM   
Mikey C

I hate it when you're reading a thread and somebody says "You think this episode was good! The next is even better!!! You have no idea how Jack gets out of that one!"

Still a spoiler, sorry.

the kind of place where there might be a monster or some kind of weird mirror.
how can they hear us say those words, and still they don't believe us?
my website www.mikeynet.co.uk
My internet ramblings

(in reply to Captain Black)
Post #: 12
RE: Small Screen - New guidelines on how to avoid spoil... - 1/2/2006 10:23:47 AM   
Cat5

Spoiler situation doesn't seem too bad at the mo - but we do seem to be having a spate of duplicate threads appearing.

Please check using the search facility whether there is already a thread on what you'd like to discuss in Small Screen.

This is particulalrly useful for long running shows back for another series after a break. If it's something recent, just go past the first page as there could be a thread on page 2 that gets ignored! I don't want to have to keep locking threads that are duplicated several times. Cheers.

Frasier: So you're seeing a man?
Daphne: Only when I close my eyes and concentrate.

Elizabeth Swann: There will come a moment when you have the chance to do the right thing.
Jack Sparrow: I love those moments. I like to wave at them as they pass by

(in reply to Mikey C)
Post #: 13
RE: Small Screen - New guidelines on how to avoid spoil... - 26/3/2006 5:37:06 AM   
TheOneAndOnly

what the hell

THERE BE NO LIVING WITH YOU AFTER THIS

(in reply to Cat5)
Post #: 14
RE: Small Screen - New guidelines on how to avoid spoil... - 13/11/2008 3:28:23 PM   
The Scientist

How about getting the software developers to add a spoiler text button in the reply box.  Then make the use of invisible text mandatory for spoilers.  This is used on other forums and seems to work quite well.

I am not a ninja but am under hynosis.

(in reply to TheOneAndOnly)
Post #: 15
RE: Small Screen - New guidelines on how to avoid spoil... - 13/3/2012 10:24:25 PM   
jcthefirst

http://youtu.be/NlUMXZWwjQk

@Jonny_C85

My Movie Blog | My Other Various Rantings Blog

(in reply to The Scientist)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [On Another Note...] >> Small Screen >> Small Screen - New guidelines on how to avoid spoilers -REVISED! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Movie News  |  Empire Blog  |  Movie Reviews  |  Future Films  |  Features  |  Video Interviews  |  Image Gallery  |  Competitions  |  Forum  |  Magazine  |  Resources

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI